Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Irishgnome »

Odin,

I want to thank you for this easy and great tasting recipe.

I made three, five gallon batches of this with some second gen honey bear backset. Stripped ten gallons so far and man, just on the stripping runs, the taste and smell is amazing. Looking forward to the spirit run and getting some on oak.
I’ll have to follow up after the spirit run to comment on the white.

Thanks again bud!

Cheers,
Irish.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are welcome, Irish.

Glad you liked it.

That's where the easy recipes are all about.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Plonk
Novice

Post by Plonk »

So good !

On 4th gen at the moment.
On the nose as white spirit smells like a sugary bowl of cereal.
Added a few weetbix from the 2nd gen onwards and also now added 1/2 tbsp cane sugar molasses per litre after the first nuclear aging of 10grm shiraz soaked charred oak chips per litre.
Did 3 X nuclear aging @ 1 min 20 sec per litre
Microwave
Fridge
Repeat X 3

Thanks Odin !
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Seriously big thank you for this. I was curious about distilling and after much forum dwelling I came across this recipe. I got the first batch brewing immediately to force myself into building a small still! I've now got gen 3 bubbling away in the kitchen with only one small tweak - I've replaced one box of cornflakes with a bag of frozen sweetcorn which I run through the blender to break it up. The ferment is on day 4 and smells incredible! This is a recipe I will always have running in the background, irrespective of what other recipes I experiment with. Thanks again!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Glad you like it.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Oh I do... I really do...
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Day 11 of my ferment and its finally slowing down! I used slightly more sugar and EC-1118 rather than bakers yeast this time so I kinda expected a slightly longer ferment. I'm just getting impatient!
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

This is a great sounding recipe. I am just about to start a variation of it. This is my idea. 3.2 kilos of Kelloggs Corn Flakes, 10 kilos of heavy peated barley and sugar to kick up the SG in about a 85 litre wash.
Any thoughts?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I expect the peated barley to overpower the cornflakes.

Odin.
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

I was sort of going for more of a peated scotch with the sweet corn taste in there as well. Maybe more cornflakes??
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

I read about the cornflake sludge at the bottom of the fermentor. I boiled 800 grams of kelloggs and it really got thick. Cooled to 155 degrees and it was like porridge. All starch. I added amylase and it thinned quite a bit but still a lot of starch. I heated it back up and tried again. It converted to 1.06.
I use a brewmaster (with my own heat controls so it can be used as a still as well). It has a grain basket which I used for the 3.3 kilos of bairds heavey peated malt. It converted to 1.075 but was only in 12 to 15 litres of water.
I got everything up to strike temp again and added the cornflake sludge on top of the barley let it sit again down to about 130 degrees.
Sparged to about 25 litres, cooled and added yeast. At this point further conversion had taken place and SG at 1.073.
I used Bakers yeast and it went crazy. It has been a day and a half and it's at 1.021. Fermentation has slowed greatly but continues.

to be continued...
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

Seems to have stopped at 1.017
I am thinking of throwing in some turbo yeast.....as it is the only other that I have on hand.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Ran my 3rd gen last night. Much, much sweeter and a more complex flavour. Put this by for my wedding at the end of the month on toasted /charred Oak and cherry chips :

IMG_20190310_173342_1552239272126_crop_640x800.jpg

And after 3 cycles in the microwave, this for drinking tonight :
IMG_20190310_164822_crop_640x800.jpg
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

DSmith78 wrote:Ran my 3rd gen last night. Much, much sweeter and a more complex flavour. Put this by for my wedding at the end of the month on toasted /charred Oak and cherry chips
Congratulations. This simple recipe is one of my favorites and the cherry chip addition sounds good.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Thank you fizzix! On this run I substituted some of the cornflake with frozen sweetcorn which I ran through the blender. Had a really fruity smell/taste straight off the still. Will definitely do this on the 4th gen!
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

SG stopped at 1.017.

So...I run it today! :D
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

What's the pH?

Odin.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Twisted Brick wrote:Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
Thank you very much my friend.
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

Ran my mix through and got very low yield.
Has to go out of town for a week but tried something out.
I took the leftover mash warmed it up to about 90 degrees added about 4 kilos of sugar and topped it up with water to about 23 l.
added yeast and went away. Fermentation was done upon my return and the SG was at 1.034
The first time with this mash it stopped at 1.017 and now at 1.034
Any ideas why?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

thePanhandler wrote:...took the leftover mash...added about 4 kilos of sugar and topped it up with water to about 23 l. Fermentation was done upon my return and the SG was at 1.034. The first time with this mash it stopped at 1.017 and now at 1.034.
Any ideas why?
A question...what were the OG’s on each of the washes?

But, I’d suspect the high terminal gravity was the result of a low pH. Typically, sugar washes will turn acidic and completion depends on how far the yeast survives into the acidic environment. Adding sugar to a terminal ferment tells me that it was originally quite acidic/sour. So, the yeast can survive only so long, even with a very healthy, vigorous start. Check the pH of your trub...and see where it is. I’d suspect it is quite low...3-3.5pH, or so. Yeast can’t live down there for very long.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

13 months ago I put down 2 off 60 litre ferments of 1kg Kellogs cornflakes and 1/2 a small box of weetbix, 10kg of white sugar inverted and used Lowans baking yeast. This yielded 3 runs thru 4 plates on my bubbler and 3 off 5 litre demi's aged at 65% using toasted/charred french oak.

Everyone that has tasted it has said they can taste vanilla and along with great taste it was so smooth going down. One guy who is a professional distiller said he couldn't believe a breakfast cereal could make such a world class drop.

Well as this batch is ready for bottling today I put one 60 litre ferment down using the same as above and I will do generations with it then blend the first sweet mash with the generation to make a more flavour some blend to age at 65% on some French oak.

Cheers Bryan
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

I am getting some ph papers today
Rairch
Novice

Post by Rairch »

Put a 25L batch on yesterday. Using aldi cornflakes and bakers yeast.
This will be my first wash. Looking forward to it :thumbup:
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

You won't be disappointed! I use the Aldi flakes and have had great results. And 50p a box!!
Rairch
Novice

Post by Rairch »

There's a lot of vitamin B's on the aldi flakes. Cheap too.
5 days and still going nuts. Will give it a quick check on Sunday. There's a lot of trub. Hope to get 20L of wash when racking. We'll see.
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

You called it. low ph. Am raising it and will add more yeast

Thanks
thePanhandler
Novice

Post by thePanhandler »

Brought the ph back up and added more yeast......nothing....did not start back up???????
Eclecticon
Novice

Post by Eclecticon »

Rairch wrote:There's a lot of vitamin B's on the aldi flakes. Cheap too.
5 days and still going nuts. Will give it a quick check on Sunday. There's a lot of trub. Hope to get 20L of wash when racking. We'll see.
I don't see vitamines in the Dutch German made Aldi cornflakes. [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... cf2adc.jpg[/img]
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

thePanhandler wrote:Brought the ph back up and added more yeast......nothing....did not start back up???????
How's the temperature?