Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Just 4 Fun
Novice

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Just 4 Fun »

Just 4 Fun wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am So I have done several runs of cornflakes in the last couple years (along with many other flavours) and seem to run into stalled and or slow ferments sometimes.

Not sure if cornflakes in Canada are different than elsewhere but for the most part I have been adding yeast nutrient to force the ferment.

This time I thought id try something a lil different and it seems to be working so I thought I’d share it.
For my 23L ferment I have been using 1-454g box and 9lbs of inverted sugar, this time I added 2 cans of cream style corn and no nutrient.

Happy to report the ferment is chugging along just fine and expect it to be fermented dry in 7 days.

Not sure if this will help others but I just thought I’d put it out there.
This is not a question but more an observation.
Just because it's called a liver doesn't mean it lives forever.
Skarsnik
Novice

Post by Skarsnik »

I finally got to the end! These are the salient points I got out of the thread with a focus on Odin's comments:

Crush the Cornflakes (with your foot?!), use 500g... or more 750g / 1kg for extra flavour.
Cook the cornflakes in simmering water for 30 minutes. Let it cool.
Add water and replace some of it with backset if you have it because its your second run.
Aim for 1060 on the hydrometer. Do take pH measurements and keep it above 3.5, preferably around 4.0. Bicarb can help you out if you want to.
Add yeast

It ferments dry in five days. Ferment at higher temps (28 to 34 degrees C) when using baker's yeast. Aiming for 7.5 - 8.5%.

Rack it for at least 2 days to settle the yeast.

Do a stripping run, strip slowly making a small fores/heads cut.
Collected down to 10 abv, should end around 30 abv on average.

Add low wines and fresh wash (or backset if you dont have it) for the spirit run. Ratio of 1.5
Collect hearts at 63 abv. Dilute to 50%.

Or just run it once at 55 to 60%...
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

bendraynor wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:14 am Hi all,

I have made a 20l batch of cornflakes whisky and left it to sit for a couple of weeks. Very exciting!

It has now finished fermenting but the cornflakes are sitting up to the 9l level in the fermenter. Any tips on how to rack it - can I squash the cornflakes down before racking with a long spoon to recover maximum liquid? And do I need to add something like campden tablets before racking or is this not required given the fact it will be distilled? Do I really need to rack at all - can I not just leave it in the cornflakes for a while longer until everything has (hopefully) settled down?

Thanks!!
for racking this off heres what I do. first I put in a couple cups of cracked corn in with the CF. some how it all settles to the bottom under the cracked corn
Next I put a small piece of copper mesh and zip tied it to the end of my tracking cane and then rack it off. sometimes I need to add a little water to thin it out to get the siphon to run smoothly
dcwilson303
Novice

Post by dcwilson303 »

Skarsnik wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:37 am I finally got to the end! These are the salient points I got out of the thread with a focus on Odin's comments:

Crush the Cornflakes (with your foot?!), use 500g... or more 750g / 1kg for extra flavour.
Cook the cornflakes in simmering water for 30 minutes. Let it cool.
Add water and replace some of it with backset if you have it because its your second run.
Aim for 1060 on the hydrometer. Do take pH measurements and keep it above 3.5, preferably around 4.0. Bicarb can help you out if you want to.
Add yeast

It ferments dry in five days. Ferment at higher temps (28 to 34 degrees C) when using baker's yeast. Aiming for 7.5 - 8.5%.

Rack it for at least 2 days to settle the yeast.

Do a stripping run, strip slowly making a small fores/heads cut.
Collected down to 10 abv, should end around 30 abv on average.

Add low wines and fresh wash (or backset if you dont have it) for the spirit run. Ratio of 1.5
Collect hearts at 63 abv. Dilute to 50%.

Or just run it once at 55 to 60%...
I used an immersion blender to do the Crushing, about to do my second run soon. Thanks for your notes.
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

Skarsnik wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:37 am I finally got to the end! These are the salient points I got out of the thread with a focus on Odin's comments...
Yeah, thanks Skarsnick for the summary. I should have started at the end of the thread and worked backwards! Would have saved me a couple of pages of barely legible scribbles.

I've got a sugar wash spirit run to do tomorrow (and I'm going to pass out bottles of the hearts to the family together with some juniper berries and corriander seeds as a diy gin kit and tell them to add whatever they think they'll like - we'll do a test against my existing standard OEG in two or three weeks) so I'll fill in the time waiting for the jars to fill by starting up the CF mash. Can't wait to try this.

The only question I've got is whether it really is worth boiling the flakes. A few people have simply crushed them and have said they've got good results. I'm going to boil them as that was the original recipe unless I get positive feedback on simply crushing. Maybe someone has done both so has a comparison.

If this turns out ok - and so many people have said it does, then this may be a project for the next few weeks to build up a decent stock so I can age for a year or more.

Well done @Odin. I think your OEG is going to be a winner (a week to go with botanicals sitting in 5L of neutral) and if this whisky is as good as everyone says then I'm going to be a happy man.
Just 4 Fun
Novice

Post by Just 4 Fun »

Wozza wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:53 am
The only question I've got is whether it really is worth boiling the flakes. A few people have simply crushed them and have said they've got good results. I'm going to boil them as that was the original recipe unless I get positive feedback on simply crushing. Maybe someone has done both so has a comparison.
Hey wozza I have done many batches of this over the last 3 years and started with Odin’s original recipe and tweeked it a little as most of us will do.

My process now is to just dump the box of cereal in the bottom of my fermenter, add some cold water so when I add my hot inverted sugar on top it won’t try to melt/distort my ferment pail.
Then I top it up and wait for it to cool before pitching yeast.

I found with crushing and/or boiling the flakes they turn to mush and has little or no effect on the end flavour or speed of the ferment and since I like to run as soon as possible I don’t have to wait for it to clear and settle out.
I simply put a fine strainer or cheese cloth on the top of my still and rack it as soon as the primary ferment is done.

No muss no fuss.

I’m sure others may disagree but this is what has been working well for me.

And a BIG shout out to Odin for posting this delicious recipe
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

Just 4 Fun wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:10 am
Wozza wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:53 am
Hey wozza I have done many batches of this over the last 3 years and started with Odin’s original recipe and tweeked it a little as most of us will do.

My process now is to just dump the box of cereal in the bottom of my fermenter, add some cold water so when I add my hot inverted sugar on top it won’t try to melt/distort my ferment pail.
Then I top it up and wait for it to cool before pitching yeast.
Sounds good to me, Just4Fun. So here we go...

750g Kellogs cornflakes
2.0kg white sugar
0.5kg raw sugar (I had some left in a packet so I used that)
Lemon juice (squirt from a bottle of juice)
40g bakers yeast

Crunched the flakes up in the bag (or at least my grandaughter did by hopping up and down on them) and threw them in the fermenter. Added 3L boiling water and stirred them up, then added the sugar and stirred to disolve. Added cold water to 15L. Temp was ok so straight in with the yeast and screwed the top on the fermenter and fixed an airlock. SG was 1.058.

Will report back when it's fermented out and I'm ready to do a stripping run. And I think I need yet another 5L carboy to keep the backset from that for a second gen.

In passing, there's a major Kellogs factory about 30 mins from where I live. And a boutique brewery called One Drop opened near them. In the spirit of using local produce they contacted Kellogs and got a thumbs up to make a Kellogs Pale Ale using cornflakes. Great idea. But it tasted bloody awful...I'm hoping for better things from this recipe.
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

FG was 0.990.so an ABV of 9%.

I used a fine net bag to tranfer the wash to another bucket and squeezed some of the liquid out. Then left it for 36 hrs before racking it into the boiler. Lost a couple of litres - think I had about something a little over 12L. Had a nice light yellow colour and smelled pretty good.

Ran it medium slow, threw the foreshots and got 5.0L at 26%. I diluted that with 2.0L of backset to give me 7.0L at around 19% and back into the boiler. I noticed a very unpleasant tails-y smell about half way through collecting the 5L

I collected in 250ml jars:

1: 64%
2: 61%
3: 57%
4: 50%
5: 47%
6: 40%
7: tails...

1 and 2  - tasted pretty much like neutral spirit. Not much flavour at all.
3 and 4 - some sweetness coming through. Pleasant.
5 - a little less flavour.
6 - started to notice some tails.
7 - awfull...

1-6 went into a glass 2L bottle giving me 1.5L at 54%. I fixed a paper towel over the opening with a rubber band and stuck it in a wardrobe. I don't have any oak at the moment. If I can get some this week I'll add a small amount.

Maybe my hopes were a bit too high for this but I wasn't impressed. Maybe boiling the flakes would have given me a better result. Anyway, I hope it improves.
Just 4 Fun
Novice

Post by Just 4 Fun »

Wozza wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm
Ran it medium slow, threw the foreshots and got 5.0L at 26%. I diluted that with 2.0L of backset to give me 7.0L at around 19% and back into the boiler. I noticed a very unpleasant tails-y smell about half way through collecting the 5L

Maybe my hopes were a bit too high for this but I wasn't impressed. Maybe boiling the flakes would have given me a better result. Anyway, I hope it improves.
Hate to point out the obvious but most here would frown on using backset to dilute for subsequent runs......

The whole idea is to remove impurities then dilute with water to end up with a cleaner product, by adding backset you’ve effectively shot yourself in the foot on this one.

I would suggest you try it again and modify your protocol, you’d be surprised how much this will effect the end product.

Personally I cut off my collection for consumption at 50%abv on the second pass then keep the tails for future runs
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

Just 4 Fun wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:15 am
Wozza wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Hate to point out the obvious but most here would frown on using backset to dilute for subsequent runs......

The whole idea is to remove impurities then dilute with water to end up with a cleaner product, by adding backset you’ve effectively shot yourself in the foot on this one.

I would suggest you try it again and modify your protocol, you’d be surprised how much this will effect the end product.

Personally I cut off my collection for consumption at 50%abv on the second pass then keep the tails for future runs
Have I misread the original recipe? This from the first post by Odin:

"I stripped it slowly, making a small fores/heads cut. Collected down to 10 abv. Got me 6liters of 30 abv. Added some backset, then did the spirit run."

I've read a few people do that although doesn't sound logical to me. You spend some time getting the good stuff out of the wash and then put some of the wash back into the mix. I can understand adding the backset to the next wash but to the spirit run..? But I did it anyway.

And the tails were bloody awful. I mean really disgusting. There was no way I was going to keep them. I'm hoping a couple of weeks might show some improvement.
Crabmanstyle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crabmanstyle »

Only last night finished a run of this. My only previous run was a 5g sugar run that I thought came out pretty ok but looking at these results it didn't (I think). No fault of the recipe, it was my inexperience and I will be doing it again.

I decided that given the time and wait involved I'd do a larger mash so made up approx. 80 litres split into 5 fermenters and do a stripping run. I used a 5gl pot still. (Chinese origin, and most likely poor quality, yes I know, I had it bought before I discovered here but I did do a lot of sealing checks, it is what it is for now)
I followed the original recipe almost to a T except for putting in an extra sugar c. 2 kg over the full mash - not for ABV but rather it was easier use the full kg bag than weigh and split it.

Cornflakes used were from two different supermarkets - The significance of that maybe somebody can shed some light on.

At the point of making the mash I did not have a SG hydrometer so sg was only an estimate of 1.08. 1 week into the ferment I was away for a night and when I came home, the cold temps had made the ferment stall. I have a reptile mat that I used to keep temps c.20-25 but was nervous to leave it running when I wasn't in the house. During this time the hydrometer had arrived so I measured the sg of all 5 fermenters. Two were 1.01 and 3 were 1.04 (different cornflakes?). A little research told me that 1.01 might not be totally unexpected so I wasn't totally disheartened. I ran the two that were @ 1.01 in a stripping run* but into 250ml glass jars and in total I got 4litres from 20% to 80ish (this may not be exact as I'm not at home and don't have my notes)
What I did realise 3 hours into the run that this wasn't a stripping run. To be honest fear prevented me from running it harder so I guess it really was a spirit run of sorts. I did sample the very middle jar (brought to 40abv) and unless my alcometer is reading out* it was the smoothest whiskey I have ever had.
I waited another week and the last 3 ferments had came to 1.01 and done a "stripping" run similar to the previous 2. I'm again not certain but I think it was c. 6 litres from 20 to 80ish abv. On all of the runs I threw about 150ml of foreshots.

So 4.30 Pm on a Sunday. Raining outside, I'm away for the next few nights so I decided to throw it all back in and do a spirit run. Measured 50 abv and I diluted with a little mash and water to 25% which brought my pot up to 3/4 full.
First few jars were slow but when it started flowing it really flowed. That thin broken stream flowed well until jar 7 and I had to up the power a little. 5 hours later I ended up with 30 250ml jars from 20% to.... here's where I'm confused. About jar 7 the alcometer was reading 96 abv. This continued for maybe 4 more jars. Now I'm no scientist and I like to think of myself as a realist but this is either the greatest run ever or the alcometer is broken! I couldn't measure the temperature of the product but it was possibly 30 degrees C. Ordered another one to be sure before I do any cutting.

Next steps as we have a very long weekend in Ireland for Paddies Day is to try differentiate all the different jars into what's wanted and what's not. That's the hard bit I guess. And then, what to try next...

All in all a great simple recipe. It tastes lovely with the caveat that it might have been over diluted due to a faulty alcometer. Thanks Odin
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Odin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 pm pH crash is pretty dependent on how calcium rich your water is. pH at around 4 is good for the ferment. Higher hampers flavor development. Lower may stall your ferment. Well, pH 3.5 is still okay, but start out at pH 4.0 and then play around a bit to find your flavor profile. Depending on your water, you may need to use some bicarb. Adding it (or not) is not part of the recipe, because it may be different for different distillers/locations.

Odin.
It's been a LOOOONG time since I tried my last mash, so I'm considering myself a noob again.
Odin's Cornflakes seems like a great place to start and yes I read the whole damned thread.
I did note that Odin repeatedly stresses water ph. I still had a bottle of test strips & looks like my city water is around 6.
I was going to use bottled spring water but decided that for this first run, I can't start the mash for about a week so I plan on filling some buckets and let them air for that long to dechlorinate.
Wondering if there's anything else to consider while I let them air.
Crabmanstyle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crabmanstyle »

A short update. My new alcometer arrived today and reading between 20 and 75% abv from heads to tail . A double edged sword really :) Thought I was on to something big, however glad to know I'm somewhat close to where I need to be.
Elf Kannon
Novice

Post by Elf Kannon »

I just put in my first batch of cornflakes. My protocol was:

3 x 12 oz boxes Kellogg’s Corn Flakes (36 oz = ~1kg)
2 gal water
Crush and boil for 20 min
Put 2 more gal water in fermenter with 8 lbs white sugar
pour cooked mixture into fermenter and then top off to 6 gal total
Add 2 tbs Fermmax yeast nutrient
Aerate 5 min with paint mixer
Pitch Fermfast rum yeast when cooled to 90 F
OG 1.072
Holding at 82F
8 hrs later it’s running several bubbles per second
18 hrs later we’re at 1.067

Hoping it finishes by Saturday morning so I can run it this weekend. I’ll update as it goes, but I’m very excited to see how this goes.

Thanks Odin and everyone that has posted to this thread!
“Beware of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss.” - from “The Notebooks of Lazarus Long”
Elf Kannon
Novice

Post by Elf Kannon »

Just ran this. It was down to 1.022. Probably could have gone longer. Hearts are super yummy straight out of the still (cut with water of course!). I haven’t had a chance to air or blend it but it’s pretty clear this is going to be fantastic. As soon as I can get corn flakes again, I’ll be making a second batch. Thanks Odin!

Edit: I nuke aged some of this last night. Put 500ml on 1/2 cup of “French oak medium toast” oak chips out of the wine section of my lhbs. Three runs to 150 F in the microwave, and boy is it smooth. Dark, like coca-cola, but so smooth. Enjoyed more than was wise for a pre-work night and not a trace of headache. Forget TP, I’m hoarding corn flakes!
“Beware of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss.” - from “The Notebooks of Lazarus Long”
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Lekker recept Odin! (nice recipe Odin!)

I ran sugarwashes with maybe 150gr. of flakes or cheerios before, but love this Whiskey recipe. After plenty of sugarwashes that I usually flavour and a large rum run I wanted something else so decided to give this a bash. Never had a wash stall before (except wine) but my 2 6gallon fermenters both did this time. luckily I bought a PH meter not long ago, Ph was 3 so added Potassium Bicarbonate to bring it to Ph4, repitched and of she went. 3 days later, both were bonedry, like 0.990.

Stripped 2x 22 liter or so on the T-500 with copper alembic dome, very slowly taken off about 250ml for foreshot and heads, ended up with about 13 or so liter at 30%.
Spirit run went well, again ditched first 250ml which i took at 2drips a second, collected 16 jars of around 200 to 250ml.
Then collected in jars, diluted to 40% and smelled and tasted:
Jar 1 - 80% - heads
Jar 2 - 79% - heads
Jar 3 - 78% - heads
Jar 4 - 77% - headsy but added after blend tasting only.
Jar 5 - 75% - sweet, not so much flavour but not too sharp so added
Jar 6 - 73% - less sweet, some flavour
Jar 7 - 72% - sweet earthy, corn really starts coming through
Jar 8 - 70% - wow, corn!
Jar 9 - 68% - still delicious
Jar 10 - 67% - corn with a touch of dustyness
Jar 11 - 65% - tailsy but still heaps of flavour and not too bad at all.
Jar 12 - 63% - tails, and so did the jars after.

First blended 5 to 10 and tasted the blend this was great, and decided to also add 4 and 12 to get about 1.7 or so liter at 71%. This is now in a large jar with 3 small staves of oak, 1 light toasted, 1 medium toasted, 1 heavy toasted and charred.
See what it's like every couple weeks but intend to leave it at least a month before sharing with my expat friends (we all live in the dry Saudi so gives us something to look forward to!

Proost!
Bastard Brewer
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Two things you could consider in order to both increase yield and flavor:
1. Since your overal ABV after the finishing run is pretty high, maybe not strip all the cornflakes ferment in to low wines, but keep a few liters to dilute your next low wines batch with, before you do the next finishing run. More flavor, lower ABV, so less dilution water needed. What I call a 1.5 distillation approach.
2. See if you can find or build a power manager for your T500, to slow the spirit run down a bit. You could get less heads and tails smearing into hearts and create a bigger proportional yield that way.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Odin wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 pm Two things you could consider in order to both increase yield and flavor:
1. Since your overal ABV after the finishing run is pretty high, maybe not strip all the cornflakes ferment in to low wines, but keep a few liters to dilute your next low wines batch with, before you do the next finishing run. More flavor, lower ABV, so less dilution water needed. What I call a 1.5 distillation approach.
2. See if you can find or build a power manager for your T500, to slow the spirit run down a bit. You could get less heads and tails smearing into hearts and create a bigger proportional yield that way.

Regards, Odin.
Great thanks Odin, i'll do the 1.5 approach on the next one, although i'm finishing up a buccaneer Bobs now, then need a couple neutrals before I do another Whiskey (Turns out we drink more in a dry country then elsewhere).

I do have a voltage regulator which indeed allows me to take off the heads at a couple drips a second only, however you must have recognised a relative low yield from my jars so wonder how much yield you get from a 50ltr wash. I ended up with 1.7ltr at 71% so say 3ltr at 40%... already an improvement and definately much better quality then pre-voltage regulator era. How much do you end up with from say a 50 liter wash?

The regulator has been the greatest improvement to the T-500 thus far, together with alembic vs the reflux column. I know there's quite a few people that are no fan of the T-500 and I do get it's limitations, but with the alembic dome and the voltage regulator I find it works fine for a beginning enthusiast. I have been eyeing up the polish stills and dragonstills too, and think that when i leave Saudi in a few years I'll get something larger (at least 12G) and better, would love to self-build to get a real personal touch and experience but fear a purchased may be better. Started this from a "must have", and developed into a right hobby :-)

Proost,
BB
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

This is now a go to mash. I'm now checking the sales in the cereal section. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'm trying a something new . Its a 40l mash.
I shoot for 1.09 about %10 SG
500 gm cornflakes
900 gm of honey frosted flakes
8 kg sugrar id 4k whit superfine sugar a d 4k brown
Two packets E1118 yeast.
6 gm of flack seed yeast nutrient
100 gm ,or so of oyster shells
Check Ph and get it to is close to 5
I put in all the cornflak that are not all mashed up just straight in the fermentor. Add about 5lt of cool water in my fermentor. Then add about 15 lt of back set. I'll get it all mixed up my drill with a paint mixer, for 5 minutes. let it sit till it gets to temp then I'll add the rest onf top it foo to 40 ly with mildly hot water. Around the 115 F. Nlw I let it sit till until it gets to temp then I'll pitched yest that i started in mash.
My plan is to strip 3 of theses the spirit run.
I've ready done on of these one and I have the next one bubbling away.
I took a sample out of the middle of the run. After airing for a day and cut it down to %30 very smooth and hint of honey comes through. I hope that bleeds through the spirit run.
Lyle Higgs
Novice

Post by Lyle Higgs »

hello odin! this looks pretty interesting and im going to give it a shot
but i cant do 20 liters i prefer to start small 1 gallon
so how much cornflakes and sugar for a gallon
ty.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Lyle Higgs wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:41 pm hello odin! this looks pretty interesting and im going to give it a shot
but i cant do 20 liters i prefer to start small 1 gallon
so how much cornflakes and sugar for a gallon
ty.
Three suggestions:

1. Make sure you read through the entire thread. The original recipe has "evolved" from page 1.
2. One of the first thing's I learned was that it's no more difficult to mash for several runs as it is for just one, especially just for 1 gallon.
The normal rule of thumb is to mash for 3 stripping runs to make 1 spirit run.
3. You may also want to study Odin's comments right up there on 1.5 distilling.
Good luck.
Last edited by TDick on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sound advice, TDick. Thanks for sharing.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Crabmanstyle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crabmanstyle »

Generation 3 (20g) ended up at 1.02 after 1 month. Sour taste and clear so I'll run over the weekend. If it's anything like generation 2 it's going to be an amazing drink. My only issue at the moment is the slow boat from china with my elements and controllers for my keg build so will have to torture myself with the 5g still on gas. Enjoyable but very time consuming for that amount.
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Had some of this at 2 months old, aged on some oak. Heaps of corny flavor, not quite the whiskey I know from living in Scotland, but very smooth, corny, earthy and oaky and just pleasant overall. Im glad it developed some more nose, as that was missing a bit initially. Probably the oak contributed to that.
WhistlerKiwi
Novice

Post by WhistlerKiwi »

I am really enjoying this recipe!
Being relatively new to the hobby, I started with sugar washes to produce clean neutral which I have been playing with, to try a range of gins.
I wanted to have a crack at a corn type bourbon spirit and this recipe seemed easy for a newby....

I started a 25l generation 1 with 1kg of Kellogg’s and as per the original recipe otherwise. This fermented out dry in 6 days and after racking and clearing over two days I stripped it to low wines.

I used 7 litres of backseat to start a 25 l of gen 2, again with 1 kg of cornflakes.

This fermented out in 7 days and I racked and cleared for a week before I had a chance to run.

I followed Odins 1.5 method and distilled the low wines of gen 1 with the wash of gen 2.
Unfortunately my power controller is still in the post so my spirit run wasn’t as slow as I would like.... but I collected in 250ml jars for a total of 22 jars.

The corn smell came in by jar 6 and was amazing by jar 11.

I used 6.5l of the hot backseat to start gen 3 and this is bubbling away nicely as I type.

I aired for 24 hrs then blended.

My blending was tough as I have a head cold so my smell and taste is off. To compensate I was very conservative with my cuts. They were as follows:

Jars 1-8 seemed really heads’y Jar 9 still had a touch of heads to me and Jar 10 I was on the fence about keeping.

Jars 21-24 were to “wet dog” tails’y to me.

So, I kept all of jars 11 to 19, then added half each of jars 10 and 20 for a total of 2.5ltr. Other than the fore shots, I kept the rest as feints.

This is now sitting on bourbon barrel chips and from my blocked nose even, smells great!

I am really looking forward to seeing how this ages and I am really excited to try it!

I have a question regarding gen 3 and future generations....

Should I strip gen 3 to low wines and add to gen 4 wash for my next spirit run. Then carry on doing this 1.5 distill method through the future generations?

Or

Do I spirit run each individual future generation?

Also, there seemed to be a large proportion of heads? I know not having the power controller didn’t help, and my head cold really hasn’t helped tasting/smelling the cuts. But do my cuts seem to aggressive at the heads/hearts end?

Your thoughts/assistance would be very much appreciated.

P.S. Thanks Odin for a superb recipe! I think I will start your rye bread recipe in my other fermentation buckets.
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

MM-Brew wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:09 am I'm trying a something new . Its a 40l mash.
I shoot for 1.09 about %10 SG
500 gm cornflakes
900 gm of honey frosted flakes
8 kg sugrar id 4k whit superfine sugar a d 4k brown
Two packets E1118 yeast.
6 gm of flack seed yeast nutrient
Follow up :thumbup:
I collected about 20 lt of low low wine's for the spirit run. For my still, the first 4+ liters are over 80% and most of those jars did tasted a little headzie. With the washes SG @ 1.095 . I'm thinking it a little high, and I'm getting to more heads.
On the next round I'm going to drop my SG to 1.075 to see how those jars come out, If I could get a larger hearts cut. That be great.
Next round I'm thinking of tring to compress the heads by sending the still into full reflex. I'm thinking of maybe only running the reflux for 15 min. I'll start the reflux just after the first drops come off, at around 160f.
If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with compressing heads please share. :thumbup:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

More compressed heads = more hearts.

Odin.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

odin,
which yeast you used in first batch(1st gen)?

ravi
In search of Dream whiskey.................
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Probably baker's yeast from Bruggemans

Odin.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

hello Odin,
thanks!
I made wines quite a lot but very new to distillation, I tried my first run of rice vodka but turn out not drinkable. alcohol % is good but taste and smell is horrible(( so i discard all. what I learn from that run, how to operate still and few different things about using herbs(i used to many and just experimented like crazy)...your recipe seems simple and for beginner, so i decided to give it a go this weekend super exited about it! I am in Korea this place also very hard to find grains. corn flakes seem good option.
I have Angels moonshine yeast and EC118 available with me. pls suggest which one to use?

Thanks in Advance for reply!
cheers
ravi
In search of Dream whiskey.................