Mezcal!

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Biff Henderson
Novice

Re: Mezcal!

Post by Biff Henderson »

Really enjoyed reading this story. Wish we had more agave around here - thirsty now!
"Moonshine? Hell naw officer, we makin hand sanitizer"
IamLothar
Novice

Post by IamLothar »

Really enjoyed reading this. Mezcal is a fav of mine. Hopefully one day…🤞
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I just made a mesquite steamrolled barley that was unbelievable. I wonder if you could use wheat from feed stores and add some agave and smoke it to make a mezcal style flavor that's almost imperceptible from a normal mascal with way less work.

I say this because the steamrolled barley front end profile was very grain forward, but the middle profile of the nose and The taste was 100% mescal through and through.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Would love to source a pina or two and roast em up. Here’s an interesting article on the ovens and their contribution to the end product:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/longisland ... /pina/amp/
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

That is a really great write up, I enjoyed reading. It's a little biased but doesn't mean he's not correct with his take. There's a video production discussing the different processes and technical specs, history, etc. It's on YouTube and I can't find it but the production value is really good
Fwapsk
Novice

Post by Fwapsk »

Wow, that was a good read. I have a Mexican friend living near me who's family owns land in the Jalisco region where they proudly make their own tequila. May ask him to try to get me some famous blue Agave plants from them and try this! I have a smoker too so I can do that part as well. Don't have a press like that though!
drphillipt
Novice

Post by drphillipt »

I loved the post. I'm very new to home distilling, and though I like quite a variety of distilled spirits, tequila or mescal have always been my favorites. I've considered buying bulk agave syrup, but know that the processing has been all wrong. I've searched for sources for raw agave pinas to no avail. Is anyone aware of any sources?