Double Fermented Sour Corn Mash from Scratch

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cariboux
Novice
Location: The Last Frontier, the northernmost SOUTHERN STATE!

Re: Double Fermented Sour Corn Mash from Scratch

Post by cariboux »

Regarding the photo and comment, ya'll probably know that the .900 was a typo, the FG was .990. Thanks for not reprimanding me for 'BS'.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Squeezed a batch using this method this morning. After cooking the corn, the smell was pretty nice, reminding me of some other ferments that ended with a nice lacto infection. The smell coming from the ferment makes me think there's something to this approach.

I used corn meal, and used some extra high-temp enzymes to thin stuff out. Unfortunately, my dog discovered the bottle, which was mostly full. Chewed a hole, drained the contents. Can't order any from pintoshine I guess.
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

bilgriss wrote:Squeezed a batch using this method this morning. After cooking the corn, the smell was pretty nice, reminding me of some other ferments that ended with a nice lacto infection. The smell coming from the ferment makes me think there's something to this approach.

I used corn meal, and used some extra high-temp enzymes to thin stuff out. Unfortunately, my dog discovered the bottle, which was mostly full. Chewed a hole, drained the contents. Can't order any from pintoshine I guess.
The enzymash website is still up. After the news was dropped I immediately purchased a few bottled which arrived here in Australia shortly thereafter. That was on 6/9/18 so I'm guessing his enzyme business is still operational.

Ps I only just come across this thread and will be giving this a shot for sure :)
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

PintO's Enzymash site is down, has been for the last couple of weeks.

I hope everything pans out for PintO
Lawnmower Fuel
Novice

Re:

Post by Lawnmower Fuel »

Husker wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:54 am Would you have any insightes to someone thinking of using malted corn? Changes in quanities needed, changes in flavor, etc. Of course I could buy malted barley from the local brew shop, but was wondering what corn malt would add/take away from the process.

H.
Hey Husker,
I read a chapter from the Foxfire books from North Carolina about old-time corn liquor and how they made it. The farmer would malt enough corn to make all the liquor for the season using burlap (from feed sacks) to keep the corn damp and in the barn to keep out light and dry it after it sprouted. When he went to the mill to get his corn ground, he would get the miller to grind his dried malted corn on the side. Usually, there was some future exchange deal for some product. after cooking the mash, he cooled it using the hand thermometer trick and pitch half his malt (150degrees) then pitch the rest of the malt to kick it (the next day after it cooled) It was fascinating. All he had was corn so that's all he used.

BTW, I joined this forum several months ago but this is my first comment so if I screw it up I apologize in advance.
Lblamboy
Bootlegger

Re:

Post by Lblamboy »

RadicalEd1 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:33 am Thanks for the feedback, pint. So for clarification, I should:

1. Add soured corn to all the corn I will be mashing, let sit.
1a. Save a little bit of soured corn.
2. Cook corn at 180*f for 30 minutes.
3. Let corn cool to 160*f, mash in barley.
4. Maintain temp for conversion for some time (hour plus), optionally letting it sit overnight.
5. Strain out all solids.
6. Reduce water volume as necessary via boil, allow to cool.
7. Pitch yeast.
7a. Pitch lacto starter saved from 1a (or is that starter saved for some later time/purpose)?

Steps 3-7 are very familiar to me through my beer experience, and I have a nice cooler mash tun available as well.

I'll probably let the corn sour up today and mash tonight, if the above is true.

Thanks again!
I've read this thread with great interest, but it seems like some of the primary contributors aren't active anymore on the board?

I find myself fascinated, but still full of questions...Has anybody ever taken this version of the step-by-step guide and added even more to it (such as specifics from Pinto's early post on exactly how to sour the initial corn, or resolving the open questions that were discussed later about when to use backset/"sloppin-back" (since it sounds like it could lower PH at the wrong times if done incorrectly?), clearly differentiating the steps of the process for generation 1 vs subsequent generations by lengthening the instructions a bit, resolving if A and B stages are both key to the second of fermentation or if the soured corn eliminates the need for the higher PH process in the second fermentation, etc).

The posts for UJSSM all seem to attribute the "sour" description to having just slopped back with what the group now calls backset...it would be great to see a full-on AG Sour Mash set of instructions that, while more involved than UJSSM, would involve a true souring fermentation stage along with sloppin back.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

The pH will drop pretty far with a lactobacillus ferment as described here without the addition of backset, if you follow the instructions for each batch. Adding a little bit of the liquid and cornmeal from the ferment before the mash will innoculate the subsequent batches, also.

Read through some other corn mash recipes, and you'll see that some discuss the addition of backset extensively.