Rye bread whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stew8
Bootlegger

Re: Rye bread whiskey

Post by Stew8 »

StarkBlood1980 wrote:
Stew8 wrote:Hi
I was going to use rye bread from Tesco.
They have two - organic and inorganic £1.80 and £1.10.
Just search the groceries site. (Not the direct site)
Let me know how you get on.
I saw those but they don’t look like the real dark and dense variety that Odin mentions throughout the thread. If you google bolletje pumpernickel you’ll see what I mean
In the end I bought the bread from Aldi. Used 3 packs in a 23l tub and had fierce fermentation and I may be able to run it at the weekend.
Mestemacher wholemeal rye bread - 500g and no preservatives. I could not find on the Aldi website but found the same stuff here and much cheaper at Aldi . https://uk.iherb.com/pr/Mestemacher-Who ... lsrc=aw.ds :thumbup:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Do let us know ow it turns out - I've got Aldi close by ! 8)
pigroaster
Novice

Post by pigroaster »

Why not bake your own bread with a tested recipe from a bakery or hobby baker? Am I missing something here? If you have a tested recipe, please post it.Thanks
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Stew8 wrote: .......In the end I bought the bread from Aldi. Used 3 packs in a 23l tub and had fierce fermentation and I may be able to run it at the weekend.
Mestemacher wholemeal rye bread - 500g and no preservatives. I could not find on the Aldi website but found the same stuff here and much cheaper at Aldi . https://uk.iherb.com/pr/Mestemacher-Who ... lsrc=aw.ds :thumbup:
I got some from Lidl when I popped in yesterday ;
Rye Bread.jpg
Couldn't remember how much I needed so bought 2 x 500 g and I'm not sure if its right either.

However missis bought some K Cornflakes from town - so I'm going to make up both this and cornflake as soon as I can.

If I get out again before I make it I'll get some more of the bread, if not I'll make it up anyhow and get the full 4 x packs next time I go and see how much difference it makes.
CrazyCanadian
Novice

Post by CrazyCanadian »

Still a newbie. Its been almost a month since I made my first batch of Rye Bread Whiskey. I put it on oak and have been checking on it and shaking it and letting it heat up and cool off during day/night and letting it air out some. I was very leery of what I made when it came off the still. Now after a month I can smell the rye and it is really starting to be something.

I split my run into three containers - 1) light and dark oak, 2) light, dark and charred oak and 3) light, dark and charred oak and I let it breathe every day. So far it looks like the charred oak is very important and shaking and letting it breathe may be the key. Have not taken a good drink yet but will when it officially hits one month of aging.

Pleased so far. Nice recipe.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Shaking helps recombine early tails related molecules and flavors. Airing helps oxidize late heads related molecules and flavors.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Odin, many thanks for your continued efforts.
I followed your recipe with 6.6 Lbs mestemacher whole rye and sugar to reach 10.5% in an 11 gallon wash. I ordered off Amazon. It fermented strong.
However, I'm not sure whether I should attempt to run this low and slow (in my brewhaus SS 15 gallon Potstill with the column filled with copper scrubbers) or strip it and do a few more batches stripped, and spirit run the low wines once I reach 7 gallons of low wines. I have yet to do a spirit run.

Also, I'm cheap. Seeing you mention the maillard process, I was wondering whether that would be cheaper than dropping 25$ each batch, assuming I do it right. I'm at work right now so I can't ferret out the research and my thoughts on the process, so I'll post another follow up later.
Also, I saw someone else mention mestemacher pumpernickel. I was imagining that would impart even more flavor?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

actually, I just noticed your other thread about Maillardizing and I'm reading through that. I'm not through yet but very excited at the prospect.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
seize the bottle
Novice

Post by seize the bottle »

Odin,

Thank you! I have two 30L fermenters with the 3rd generation of your rye bread whiskey recipe.

I had saved the low wines from the first two generations which I ran through a spirit run this last weekend. The results were fabulous 10L ranging from 85% to 60%.

Tonight I went through all 26 bottles (first and last were 1L rest were 330ml) and picked out 3L that seemed to go well together and identified a few honorable mentions for future considerations. Out of the hearts 2.5L are on Oak and the remaining 500ml I cut down to 45% which I am sipping as I write this thank you.

Wow what a recipe! And to think everything I read says it only gets better with time.

Thanks again.
Enjoying the Tried and True recipes ...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are welcome!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

Odin wrote:Added yeast nutrients. Pumped some air into the mix and dumped in the yeast.
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast and yeast nutrients to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's my rule of thumb:
- Use one gram of (granulated dried) yeast per liter ferment;
- Boil the crap out of 0,25 of that one gram per liter (yes, do correct for the size of your ferment) and add that as yeast nutrient;
- The remaining 0,75 grams per liter is what you pitch on top (sprinkle) to ferment it dry.

So for a 50 liter ferment, take 50 grams of yeast. Boil 12.5 grams as yeast nutrients and add it to the recipe. Then sprinkle the remaining unboiled and alive yeast (37.5 grams) on top to start the ferment.

Odin.
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

Odin wrote:Here's my rule of thumb:
Thank you, i'll include that in the recipe!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Ran one yesterday. Its a keeper for sure.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

nuncaquite wrote:Ran one yesterday. Its a keeper for sure.
Glad you like it.

Odin.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I intend to do this next time I make a batch
That kind of rye bread here is expensive
I ended up making a few loafs of it
I had to ask my grandmother for a recipe
Her dad was from somewhere around Germany
Not from just around
I baked it for 20 hour's at 200 F
With a pan of water just above the element
I improvised the bread recipe a little with roasted wheat
I'll post the results for the whiskey :thumbup:
Attachments
this is the color before baking, the molasses was just on the stove
this is the color before baking, the molasses was just on the stove
this is how I will dry it
this is how I will dry it
This I took before I tore it all down
This I took before I tore it all down
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Ran one of these on 9-7-18. Tossed 6lbs of white sugar back on top of the old rye/lees and added water (nothing else)
Ran it this morning. Every cut was just about exactly where the originals were at. It seems to have turned out just as well as the first run.
Kinda sorry I tossed the muck to the chickens, should have tried for 3 runs.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

nuncaquite wrote:Ran one of these on 9-7-18. Tossed 6lbs of white sugar back on top of the old rye/lees and added water (nothing else)
Ran it this morning. Every cut was just about exactly where the originals were at. It seems to have turned out just as well as the first run.
Kinda sorry I tossed the muck to the chickens, should have tried for 3 runs.
Did it have that spice a rye whiskey has?
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

Did it have that spice a rye whiskey has?
It does to my taste. Heads are sharp (just awful) with it. Then it mellows at the hearts.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

That's my favorite thing about rye
Canadian club has a 100% rye and its really good
One of my favorite store bought
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Good day all. Hope everyone had a great xmas. I made up two 5g batches of this on the 24th. I guess I filled my buckets up alittle to much. I went to cheack on then today and the lids looked like they were about to blow off but no action in the airlock. So I took one of the airlocks and nothing going on. So I took a screwdriver and put it in the bung and pulled it out.. OOPS LOL. Like a 7th grade volcano science fair project. Rye bread everywhere..lol. lesson learned do not fill your buckets up so much. Think if I like this recipe I'll be doing 5g batches in my 7g buckets
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Well after my little volcano experiment. I did my stripping runs and I could drink I this way if this gets better with a little backset I will never buy rye again. Thx Odin can't wait to see what it's like after a sprit run
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Hello everyone. I tryed odins way of cooking the rye grains for hours but i forgot to crack the rye before boiling so the grain stayed whole. After banking for 6 hours at 194f the geains came out darker and had some good taste to them. So my concern is am i going to get good rye flavor without me cracking the rye or should it be ok. Im thinking im not bc i didnt crack so its sort of like ujssm but without enough rye since that calls for 7lbs for 5g of water and i used 6.5lbs for 15g or 3kg and 60l i think i scaled it up right. Has anyone ever back the rye without cracking it and if so did it turn out ok.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

IMG_1927.jpg
Someone at the local grocery store screwed up and printed the label at $1.19, should have been $2.99. I grabbed ever package they had. :D

Has anyone tried the delba pumpernickel with this recipe? I’ve used Mestemacher rye a few times and am blown away with how good this simple recipe is.

Anyway, looking forward to a comparison between the two brands.

Unfortunately, they corrected the price. :thumbdown: Only got away with enough for a 15 gallon batch.

For under $15.00, I’m happy as a clam. :ebiggrin:

Cheers!
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I use Mestemacher rye bread 1.5 loaves per 7 gallons 3 loaves to the 14 gallon still load.

We caught in on sale at Big Lots one day for $2.00 a loaf. Cashier thought we were crazy to buy 34 loaves.

Try adding a pound of ground Cherry wood smoked Barley malt to each ferment.

Wifey calls it Smokey Rye!!

Happy Wife

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Not a bad deal Coyote!

I may need to stop by my local Big Lots.
They updated the store three months ago and it’s basically a furniture store now.
Kinda pissed they changed the format so much.
If I can get some of this rye at $2.00 I’ll grab as much as they have. LOL
I use three loaves to five gallons. How’s the taste at 1.5 to 7? If the flavors is still strong I should think about changing up my percents.
How much barley do you add to your batches?
I’m going to add some toasted cherry wood to my last rye since you mentioned it.

Have a batch going now with fresh apple juice and honey. It smells amazing, should be ready to run this week.
First time I’ve deviated from the standard recipe.
Thanks for the tip on B.L. and the variation on the recipe.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Nice to see you guys have success with this recipe.

Regards, Odin.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I based my measurements on Odin's original recipe, then add the smokey malt.

I have found that if I boil for 10 to 15 minutes, rolling low and easy, then after
aging on oak the spicy note really come through.

Enjoy

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Coyote wrote:I use Mestemacher rye bread 1.5 loaves per 7 gallons 3 loaves to the 14 gallon still load.

We caught in on sale at Big Lots one day for $2.00 a loaf. Cashier thought we were crazy to buy 34 loaves.

Try adding a pound of ground Cherry wood smoked Barley malt to each ferment.

Wifey calls it Smokey Rye!!

Happy Wife

Coyote
Thanks, I make an all malted rye but this really sounds good.
dcwilson303
Novice

Post by dcwilson303 »

I wonder how this would work with the Rye or Multigrain Wasa Crispbread?
Ingredients (from the Wasa website):
Whole grain rye flour, Sourdough, Oat Flakes, Whole grain wheat flour, Whole grain oat flour, Whole grain barley flour, Yeast, Barley malt extract * (Sunflower Lecithin), Salt.

The market near me, sells them for roughly $6 per usable pound of crackers. Once I get a couple runs of UJSSM under my belt I'd like to start experimenting. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the inspiration.