Rye bread whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Re: Rye bread whiskey

Post by Irishgnome »

dcwilson303 wrote:I wonder how this would work with the Rye or Multigrain Wasa Crispbread?
Ingredients (from the Wasa website):
Whole grain rye flour, Sourdough, Oat Flakes, Whole grain wheat flour, Whole grain oat flour, Whole grain barley flour, Yeast, Barley malt extract * (Sunflower Lecithin), Salt.

The market near me, sells them for roughly $6 per usable pound of crackers. Once I get a couple runs of UJSSM under my belt I'd like to start experimenting. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the inspiration.
Look back through the thread, I believe someone has used the same crackers.
If it wasn’t on this tread, I know it on the forum somewhere.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
dcwilson303
Novice

Post by dcwilson303 »

Thanks Irish, I'll hunt it down.
tyrpw
Novice

Post by tyrpw »

how would I calculate the mixture for a 2.5 gallon still? I am way new to this.. Thanks
TheJollyBrewer
Novice

Post by TheJollyBrewer »

I made some of this a couple of weeks ago, used 2kilos of bread to 5 kilos of plain cane sugar. I came out brilliantly, and the yield was great. I can definitely see this becoming a regular. Huge amounts of flavour for minimal effort. Ive aged some on oak and kept some white and they are both really good sipping whiskeys.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Congrats. Glad you like it.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

I want to try this but the only store near me (small town) carrys 2 loaves at a time of german rye. Weeks before they get more. I'm in canada and found bauernbrot on amazon for 4.79 per 500g. Says organic german rye bread. It forsnt look totally black like some I've seen so I'd hate to order the wrong stuff. They also have a rye german fitness bread that is the same size with rye, oats and wheat germ. Then they have a rye pumpernickel I just found that's 500g and looks black. I think that's the right stuff. I may order a few and try this out.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

Also are most people pot stilling this? I was going to strip 2 washes and then run through 4 plates.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Distill it any way you like. The German Bauern Brot is probably not rye bread, but bread with some rye aded, so that's not what you are looking for.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

Odin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:56 am Distill it any way you like. The German Bauern Brot is probably not rye bread, but bread with some rye aded, so that's not what you are looking for.

Odin.
Here is the pic of what I was looking at, I hope its correct because I just ordered it.
20200115_145755.jpg
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

Odin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:56 am Distill it any way you like. The German Bauern Brot is probably not rye bread, but bread with some rye aded, so that's not what you are looking for.

Odin.
Only one pic posted, here is the second
20200115_145739.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

If it is made from 100% rye its the good stuff. Difficult to say from here. But this is what I get when I google "Bauernbrot" and those results are not good: https://www.google.com/search?q=bauernb ... 80&bih=971
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

Odin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am If it is made from 100% rye its the good stuff. Difficult to say from here. But this is what I get when I google "Bauernbrot" and those results are not good: https://www.google.com/search?q=bauernb ... 80&bih=971
I will try ans cancel it. The pic i just posted looks like the dense brick so i thought it would be the right stuff. Can you see the posted pic?
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

The ingredients are: whole kernel rye, water, sugar, beet syrup, salt, malt extract and yeast.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

To late to cancel, hope it works.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

The Bauernbrot on Amazon comes in a package that looks like yours, and has the following ingredient list, with rye meal and minus the beet syrup. Looks like the real deal.

Bauernbrot jpg.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:13 am The Bauernbrot on Amazon comes in a package that looks like yours, and has the following ingredient list, with rye meal and minus the beet syrup. Looks like the real deal.

Bauernbrot jpg.jpg
I hope so. It looks like the black , dense brick everyone was talking about. Here is the ingredient list from what I ordered from the package.
20200116_074232.jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I like your ingredient list. Looks imminently fermentable and promises to make a tasty drop. Looking forward to hearing how it distills out!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

850stealth wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:26 am I want to try this but the only store near me (small town) carrys 2 loaves at a time of german rye. Weeks before they get more. I'm in canada and found bauernbrot on amazon for 4.79 per 500g. Says organic german rye bread. It forsnt look totally black like some I've seen so I'd hate to order the wrong stuff. They also have a rye german fitness bread that is the same size with rye, oats and wheat germ. Then they have a rye pumpernickel I just found that's 500g and looks black. I think that's the right stuff. I may order a few and try this out.
If you have a foodland near you they should carry the mestemacher rye bread your looking for. In Canada its called pumpernickel but it the exact stuff your looking for. That's what i use and it turns out great. I do 15g batches get 2 gens out before adding more bread or i start fresh. Ive went to 6 gens with no problems. I just add more bread and use 25% backset.
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Thanks again Odin for a great recipe.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

Well I finally got around to trying this, stripped 2 60liter tuns then ran through my 4 plates at 93%. Really not the flavor I was expecting. I was expecting a more canadian rye flavor. I've never had anything like this and not really sure what it sould taste like. It's not something I could drink right now.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I remember when Odin was running this. He was running a pot head still so the results may be very different. Rye does certainly reflect Canadian style.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I run 1 1/2 loaves of mestemacher rye bread to a 8 gallon fermenter About 7 gallons of water and 8 pounds of sugar.
Boil 2 gallons of water and the bread for 5 to 6 minutes, rolling boil, add the sugar - dump into vessel.
Below 115 degrees add 1 pound cherrywood smoked barley malt, lightly cracked (Briss). 1/2 ounce Red Star yeast tossed on top.
This will take 10 days to work off in a 77 degree temp. Pot still one run only. I oak in one gallon glass with 7 or 8 pieces of oak
heavy char for 3 to 4 months. also one of wifey's favorites white. Thanks Odin!

Cheers

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Coyote. This is a recipe that I personally enjoy drinking white. Still needs a bit of aging out, but totally enjoyable without wood aging.

Odin.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Odin, when giving Rye the Maillard treatment, how important is evaporation in the oven?
I'm thinking about using my slow cooker, but that does not let much (if any) liquid escape. Would it be better to loosely cover the slow cooker with tinfoil and top up with water at the 3hr mark?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Not sure. But I'd say some liquid or moisture may actually be needed?

Regards, Odin.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Odin wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 am Not sure. But I'd say some liquid or moisture may actually be needed?

Regards, Odin.
Sorry, I don't think I explained it properly. The lid on my cooker is actually too good. It won't let any of the water escape.
My concern is that some water escaping may be necessary for the Maillard reaction and I may be better off having a less well-fitted cover?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

SaltyStaves wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 am
Odin wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 am Not sure. But I'd say some liquid or moisture may actually be needed?

Regards, Odin.
Sorry, I don't think I explained it properly. The lid on my cooker is actually too good. It won't let any of the water escape.
My concern is that some water escaping may be necessary for the Maillard reaction and I may be better off having a less well-fitted cover?
So the Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) took much longer than the oven and I stopped it when the Rye around the edges and bottom started showing signs of beginning to burn. I made sure the lid wasn't on too tight and I had some (much needed) evaporation.
Laying it all out on a tray and putting it in the oven is definitely easier and reduces the cooking time considerably. Having a deep pile of coarse grains (in the Crock Pot) means that the outside will be dry long before the middle. However, I did get a variation to the browning of the grains, so that might result in some additional complexity to the finished product.

I've only stripped it, but the low wines are fruity and spicy, so I'm not disappointed yet. Gen 2 (which will be combined with the gen 1 low wines for the spirit run) is fermenting with 500g of store-bought Roggebrood.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Roggebrood it is!
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Odin wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:17 pm Roggebrood it is!
It is the only bread I can find in the supermarket these days. Hopefully people won't discover it while these supply chain issues remain. :ebiggrin:
ChefJohn
Novice

Post by ChefJohn »

If any of you have access to Walmart.com and can receive shipments from them where you live, they have the rye bread you want; just had a case delivered today for $37 US! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Feldkamp-Ger ... 2/21090415

Question though; what if during the initial cook process of the bread I broke the pieces down more, like with an immersion blender, then cooled to the proper temps and utilized enzymes to break down the starches to extract more fermentable sugars? I know the purpose of this recipe is for the flavor, just wondering cause I have a good supply of enzymes