Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Re: Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

NZChris wrote:My recipe is borrowed from one of the Baileys clones that does the rounds. It is kept in the fridge, not on the shelf. Sometimes it'll sit there for a while, but once started, most of it disappears in one night.

1 Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk Creamy 375ml
375ml Rum @ 42%
150g sugar
1 tablespoon Hersheys Topping Chocolate Syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee

Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Shake before use.
Serve on ice.
Thanks, NZChris, I'll have to try that. :thumbup:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Well I've got 5 buckets of feed grade blackstrap molasses, 100 Lbs cane sugar, lots of dunder and plenty of yeast.
And a 96 gallon big ole tote.
Think I'll make some more rum!
(I'm all out of rum)
I've got brandy and a great peated single malt but no more rum!
Going to have to rectify that situation!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I like the idea of dark rum, but haven't found one that I genuinely like yet. Meyers tasted kinda gross to me. I loved Barbancourt, but it isn't exactly "dark."

So, what are people's favorite dark rums? What would be some good examples to try?
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

The kracken is mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Working on my biggest batch yet, 90 gallons.
Having a few equipment related challenges but after those get dialed in I'll post what all goes into it.
90 gallon ferment, I think that qualifies in the "wow" factor category, at least it does for me!
Lots of ingredients here, lots of everything.
Ideally it will work out so I can fill an 8 gallon Black Swan barrel and have some left over for immediate consumption.
(I'm all outta rum!!!)
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Think I finally got everything sorted.
What I've done:

96 gallon tote
100 Lbs Cane sugar
3 buckets blackstrap molasses from the feed store
5 gallons dunder from a year ago
Quarter ton of water (approximately)

Started by sealing up the holes where the bar went through the tote with silicone.
After a while I tested it with water and it seemed to be holding.
Boiled up the sugar in my 20 gallon pot with water of course, two batches.
Got the level up above the seal in the fermentation vessel and it was holding.
Boiled up the molly and pumped it in, uh oh, leaks.
Pumped out enough to get to the sealed area & dried it out and added more silicone.
A day later...
Pumped the wash back in and - leaked again.
Pumped it out into the big old pot, a carboy and 4 buckets.
Used the angle grinder and removed the bar.
Bought rubber plugs and more silicone, inserted plugs with silicone on them into the holes from inside and added more silicone sealant both inside and outside.
Waited 2 days...
Pumped it all back in and it held!!
Added enough water to bring the OG to 1.080 and turned on the Titanium aquarium heater, set for 85F using a Sous Vide controller.
Once it comes up to temp I'll pitch a cup or two of activated bakers yeast and let the fun commence!!
(gotta remember to throw in a handful of crushed oyster shells at some point)
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Put a couple cups of bakers yeast in a large bowl of warm water & molasses and when it was becoming lively I stirred it into the fermenter.
I'll check on it periodically, I expect it to start up quickly and be very active.
Hope I don't get an overflow situation! I've got about 8" headspace.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'm doing a version of this right now using all blackstrap, no other sugars.
I am still doing multiple additions of molasses to try to come close to the protocol here.
I've done this with sugar, Panela, and fancy molasses so far, and I'm very happy with this recipe as-is, but I'm just curious what an all blackstrap will taste like.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

So why in hell would all be good for two days until I pitch the yeast?
Two hours after pitching yeast both plugs developed leaks.
Did I ever mention my wife's family on her mothers side is Murphy?
I'm not even kidding.
Now the wash is in 6 buckets, one carboy and one 20gallon pot and it's still not below the level of the leaking plugs.
Sometimes I hate living the "prototype everything you do" live.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Well the silver lining is the yeast took, there's lots of activity in the various containers.
The big deal here is I wanted to shake out this system before going with loads of grain, obviously I have a few more bugs to work out.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Lots of foaming CO2 released when I put it all back in the big container.
Everything seems good now, I won't say it's fixed for sure until I see no leaks for a day or two.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

raketemensch wrote:I like the idea of dark rum, but haven't found one that I genuinely like yet. Meyers tasted kinda gross to me. I loved Barbancourt, but it isn't exactly "dark."

So, what are people's favorite dark rums? What would be some good examples to try?
I was waiting to see what others said, but only wtfdskin had a suggestion. I myself sampled Meyers years ago, but it's been too long for me to remember much about it, other than that it was really flavorful.

So for me, I am sad to say that my concept of a dark rum was based largely on Barcardi dark rum. And nowadays, I can't even get passed the heads in Bacardi. :sick:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:I'm doing a version of this right now using all blackstrap, no other sugars.
I am still doing multiple additions of molasses to try to come close to the protocol here.
I've done this with sugar, Panela, and fancy molasses so far, and I'm very happy with this recipe as-is, but I'm just curious what an all blackstrap will taste like.
I made an all-molasses rum a time or two, but I honestly couldn't tell much difference at the time. However, I didn't really pursue it like I should have.

And I am thinking that as the molasses-heavy dunder works its way into the dunder pit and into the dark rum essence, it would really start to show the difference. So definitely let me know how it goes, MichiganCornhusker. I am curious.
nerdybrewer wrote:So why in hell would all be good for two days until I pitch the yeast?
I'm not even kidding.
Now the wash is in 6 buckets, one carboy and one 20gallon pot and it's still not below the level of the leaking plugs.
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this, but I had some reservations about that big tote and that ginormous ferment. Hopefully you get a handle on it, and it works out. I was also concerned about how much CO2 and foam would come off that rascal. I wouldn't want you to get swallowed up in a molasses flood.
Last edited by Buccaneer Bob on Wed May 18, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Buccaneer Bob wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:So why in hell would all be good for two days until I pitch the yeast?
I'm not even kidding.
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this, but I had some reservations about that tank deal and that ginormous ferment. Hopefully you get a handle on it, and it works out. I was also concerned about how much CO2 and foam would come off that rascal. I wouldn't want you to get swallowed up in a molasses flood.
After a couple of failed attempts I finally figured out what was happening.
The weight of the wash was bulging out the side with those holes so the seals wouldn't hold.
I got expandable freeze plugs and a big wide ratchet strap plus a 2x6 to push in and hold the container close to it's original shape.
No problems since.
The foaming wasn't too bad, I left more than enough headspace. The opening at the top is much larger than the bottom so there's a lot of surface area.
It's at 1.015 last time I checked 2 days ago. I'll check it today and see if it's about done.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

It was down to 1.010 on Sunday so it's cooling and settling.
Ideally I will run the first of it on Saturday. Just going to be sitting around recovering from surgery anyway!
So - to do for this week: make sure my propane cylinders are full, make sure my equipment is clean.
Transfer whatever is left in my oak barrels into bottles so my barrels will be ready to be filled with rum.
May be time to do another vinegar run, haven't done one in a while.
Then Saturday I'll start filling things up with rum!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

It takes a long time to run 90 gallons through a 15.5 gallon pot still.
You have to leave enough head space to avoid puking.
After you collect a lot from the stripping runs you get to run again, I run a 1.5 so I put about 10 gallons stripped alcohol in and 4 gallons fresh wash and run again.
This leaves about 30 gallons wash to run so I'm doing that now, then another 1.5 run.
Then analyze and save my keep into a barrel.
Basically my 3 day weekend was spent running rum out in the shed and I'm not done yet.
But it's good stuff!
Saved a couple quarts of the heart of hearts for sipping, yum rum!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sounds good, Nerdybrewer. I'm glad you were able to salvage your ferment from the leaking tote.
tomm292
Novice

Post by tomm292 »

I just wanted to follow up. I threw in a gallon of neutral with the last rum wash, plus some dunder, and it came out great. Its been years since i drank this much rum, but damn,,,,, it just tastes great. Every day i try justifying that it must be noon some where , so that i can have another sip.....lol

The spiced rum experiment,,, best left alone.

I now have 5 batches fermenting, otherwise i will never know how this rum tastes aged for more than a couple months.

Everyone that has tried this cant believe what a smooth rum taste it has. Its now something i will not ask for opinions on , as they all deplete my stash.

Next up , a couple vanilla beans in a gallon ,,, cant wait.

I am using the feed molasses as well, and skipped the clarifying on a batch, didnt really notice a difference.

Bob, thanks again,, this is far superior than the rum off the shelf is.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Thanks so much, Tomm292. I'm glad you're liking it. :thumbup:
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Just started my first rum batch and this is so well laid out I figured I'd give it a shot. It's on it's first 2 hour rest atm. I only had access to feed grade molasses (which smells like liquid beef jerky) so we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to it whichever way it turns out. Thanks B Bob.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Used some dunder like you mentioned in you recipe and used 30ml for a 500ml jar worth. Was surprised it dd nto cloud up like you mentioned. Also its not as dark as your pic. Sorta in between the amber and the dark. I will leave it there and see how it tastes after is sits for a week or so in case something settles out.

B
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Thanks, panikry83. Definitely let me know how it works out for you.
bitter wrote:Used some dunder like you mentioned in you recipe and used 30ml for a 500ml jar worth. Was surprised it dd nto cloud up like you mentioned. Also its not as dark as your pic. Sorta in between the amber and the dark. I will leave it there and see how it tastes after is sits for a week or so in case something settles out.

B
Yeah, sometimes the color varies a bit, depending on the density of the dunder you start with.

The amounts of dark rum essence I suggest in my write-up are more of a starting point than anything. I actually add my dark rum essence more according to color and taste than to amounts.

And I agree you should wait and see how yours turns out before you add more dark rum essence. It's really easy to go darker, but you would have to re-distill to go lighter.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Thanks Bob
speeddemon94
Novice

Post by speeddemon94 »

Alright...I have questions.

I started out with a double batch...1.082 OG, and after all was said and done, it finished out around 1.023. I've got a 5 gallon pot, and did the stripping runs, pulling a foreshot cut ff of each before stripping the rest of the way. I ended up with a little over 3 gallons of 55% low wines.

This morning bright and early I charged the still and set it to heating low and slow. I pulled 1500ml of fores and heads off, and that was the funkiest smelling stuff to ever come out of my still.

I ended up with just a pint over 1.5 gallons. The final product is very sweet smelling, even after diluting to 100 proof, though the ehtyl smell is definitely there in the background. It tastes quite sweet but very smooth. Burns perfectly blue on the spoon.

Coming from brewing beer, I'm being very cautious, but I've got it separated into 3 half gallon jars, on oak, to bulk age for a bit, then I'll add any adjuncts for gold and dark.

I once had a 20 year old Venezuelan rum, which was fairly sweet with vanilla notes that could not be beat. My rum experience, otherwise, is the major commercial US brands. Am I being paranoid, or is this just what good rum should taste like?
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Hi speeddemon94, thanks for giving this a whirl.

You mention ethyl smell ... do you mean ethyl acetate? Like banana scented fingernail polish remover? That would be heads, but if you made your cuts right, you shouldn't be smelling much ethyl acetate.

I'm wondering if maybe your nose has gotten a little over-sensitized during the distillation process, and perhaps you might get a better read on the smell after stepping away from it for a few days. I know I have to do that sometimes.

Anyway, the blue flame is a good sign.

I'd say just follow through the process and see where it takes you.

Don't be surprised if you get a whiff of cherries followed by a whiff of funky dishrag along the way. That's just the way it goes.

Rum is going to take you on a journey, and it'll take you where it will. But if all goes well, you'll be quite happy when you finally do reach your destination.
speeddemon94
Novice

Post by speeddemon94 »

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I meant the ethanol, smell, basic clean distillate ( I may or may not have been sampling the wares when I composed that post). Definitely no fingernail polish remover. I am thinking that I'm just not used to the full rich flavors and smells that come with running rum off my own still. I live in the same corner of the world as nerdybrewer, and get exactly the same molasses that he does from my local feed store.

This was also a maiden run, and I didn't have any dunder, but now I do, for subsequent runs. In just 24 hours, the smell has changed and mellowed some in my little sample jar, and, in fact, I'm going to go mix it with some mango juice, presently. I took a small sample to my mother, who said it tastes like rum, I guess I'm just not sure what fresh run rum should taste like.

Brewing beer for 15 years and going to this, I think I'm just being a bit extra careful.

Thanks for the reply.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Ah, I gotcha.

Then yeah, just keep on going with it. You'll be fine.
speeddemon94
Novice

Post by speeddemon94 »

I think that'll do...Now, let's see if I can get some age on any of it to really see how flavors develop and change.
Attachments
20160913_152620.jpg
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Looks good, Speeddemon94. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

speeddemon94 wrote:I think that'll do...Now, let's see if I can get some age on any of it to really see how flavors develop and change.
Those look great. I've never done the essence part of Buccaneer Bob's recipe. I coukd never get the dunder to clear. I just sampled a quart of my first spirit run of this rum and it's completely changed. This quart was one of my oak experiments. Turned out to be my best drop to date.
It's 10 months old, and 4 of those spent soaking 4 charred oak sticks, 3/4 x 3/4 x 4" long. These oak sticks had previously been used for 4 months in a gallon of UJSM. I'm trying to hold on to it for Christmas.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Antler24 wrote:I've never done the essence part of Buccaneer Bob's recipe. I coukd never get the dunder to clear.
Well, the dunder doesn't need to clear that much. Just mix it 50-50 with rum, let it settle for a week or two, siphon off the clearer stuff and go with it.

Or skip the pre-settling part altogether if you want and let things settle out after you blend the dark rum essence into your rum. It will clear.

The only time I had any trouble getting me rum to clear was the one time that I used funky dunder with live microbes. My theory was that the microbes were zero-buoyant, and they refused to either settle to the bottom or float to the top. They just drifted around aimlessly for weeks.

But with dunder fresh from the still, I never had any trouble getting my rum to settle crystal clear.

Come on over to the Dark Side on your next run, Antler24. You won't regret it. :wink: