Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Buccaneer_Bobs_Silver_Gold_and_Black_Rum_Recipe.pdf
(89.2 KiB) Downloaded 24207 times

I've been working on a rum recipe to suit my needs for quite awhile now. Some aspects of it are very similar to other folks's rum recipes, but other aspects of my process might be a bit on the heretical side.

For instance, I am fermenting to 14% ABV, which a lot of people frown on, but I am doing an incremental feeding to pull it off (à la R. Piggot, The Alcohol Textbook, 4th Edition) so I have managed to avoid the situation of having high osmotic pressure stress the yeast.

And call it inspiration or a wild hair in the distilling room, but I poured a little bit of fresh dunder into a tasting glass of rum, and I liked it ... a lot. So I started making a "dark rum essence" from a 50-50 mixture of dunder-and-rum that has become a substantial component of my gold and black rums.

To my knowledge, nobody has ever come out and said that this is what they do, but I am convinced that dunder is the secret ingredient in a lot of commercial rums. Not only are they are using dunder in their wash, but they are also putting dunder directly into their finished rum, as well. Some of them, anyway.

Other aspects of my rum process are not so controversial, just different, tailored to my own specific needs: using autolyzed/boiled yeast trub for yeast nutrients because that's about the best thing I can come up with in this part of the world; less emphasis on a super fast fermentation and more emphasis on maximizing my distilling output because propane is a valuable commodity in a Third World country and large kegs don't exactly grow on trees here; and so on.

I don't have access to "fancy" molasses here locally. Theoretically I could drive three hours to the nearest sugar refinery and get a better grade of molasses, but because of logistics, storage requirements, etc., it just doesn't make sense for me to do it. So instead I buy "feed grade" molasses from the local feed store.

That's why my rum process calls for clarifying the wash, prior to fermentation.

Also, I am getting what I believe to be molasses gums coming over in my distillate that would really screw up my rum, were it not for the fact that I catch these molasses gums by dripping my distillate through a patch of medium-weight cotton cloth.

Some of you may not need to do that with the molasses that you have in your part of the world, but chances are good if you're using feed grade molasses, you should be dripping your distillate though a patch of cotton cloth just to see what's coming through. You might be surprised.

In spite of the shortcomings of my feed grade blackstrap molasses, though, I am still able to coax what I consider to be some darn good rum out of it.

I have documented pretty much everything that I do in my rum process in great detail, so it's rather long-winded, at something like 2,800 words. It may seem terribly complicated at first-blush, but a simple list of ingredients probably wouldn't even get you into the ballpark on my rum.

However, if you know how I'm managing my dunder, how I'm managing bacteria in my fermentation, how I'm running my still, how I'm making my cuts, how I'm blending, and so on, you should be able to get really close to duplicating my rum with no trouble. I'm not guarding any trade secrets here, so everything is right there in black and white, for whoever's interested.

My original goal was a one-size-fits-all type of rum, but I have come to see the wisdom in having a range of rums from light to heavy to suit whatever drink my family, friends and I want to make. A heavy rum will overpower many drinks, and a light rum will get lost in others. But with three different grades of rum, I always have one that suits its mixer a little better than the others.

Let me know if you have any questions, see any typos, or have any suggestions or differing views on what I am doing.

I have tried to work out all of the bugs in my process and also in how I have documented it, but this has been a work-in-progress for quite awhile, now, and I'm sure there will be revisions as time goes along.

If I do make any changes to my process, I will update the pdf file and keep the most up-to-date copy in my signature.

I hope that at least one or two of you guys try this thing and like it. I am really curious to see how this recipe works for other people with their stills, their native microbes, the molasses that they have in their neck of the woods, and so on.

Cheers,
Buccaneer Bob

Addendum: Okay, I made that change to the section on the spirit run. I didn't change the recipe, just tried to make it a little less confusing.

So here is Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe (Revision: May 14, 2013)
Last edited by Buccaneer Bob on Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Re: Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Choice Bucc - thanks!
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Very nice write up and attachment, makes me want to give it a go. I like Dundr's comment on making dark to light rum on this thread dealing with double thumpers.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=6224
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Thanks, guys. :D

Yeah, what Dnderhead said makes a lot of sense.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Posted this one, at the perfect time. I've been reading and reading about Rum, trying to gear up and get ready to give it my own go. Thanks for the detailed break down. I'll be collecting this for my notes.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Super, Black Eye, I hope you like it.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

I was reading back through the recipe again, and I decided to change "Step 6" and "Step 7" of the section on the Spirit Run to read as follows:
Step 6) Put liter #2, liter #3, and liter #4 into a glass jug, jar, or other suitable container and cover tightly. This will be the heart-cut. While collecting liter #4, catch a few drops of the distillate in a spoon periodically and taste it. If the distillate stops tasting of alcohol, shut down the still, put whatever part of liter #4 is collected in with liter #2 and liter #3, and skip to the section on blending.
Step 7) Assuming liter #4 does continue tasting of alcohol to the end, collect another 500-1000 ml beyond that – until distillation noticeably slows and distillate no longer tastes of alcohol – and then shut down the still. This will be the tail cut. Put this in a separate bottle and add this to the next spirit run.
Hopefully that makes this section a little less confusing.

I'll make the revision tomorrow, I guess. But while I'm at it, has anybody seen anything else that seems confusing to you? Any typos? Let me know. Thanks.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

Perfect! Just getting ready to pull a couple barrels of rum off to bottle. I'll do some reading and perhaps give your recipes a shot.
Thanks!
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sure thing, DFitz. If you try it, let me know how it works out for you. I'm really curious how it's going to work for folks.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Buccaneer Bob,

couldnt be better timing for me also i have been reading up on rum, as i await the arrival of a bucket of molasses in the mail, got a bucket last week and they mistakenly sent me corn syrup :( i sent it back and they claim they already sent me molasses ... so the delay got me here before i started anything...

my future may lead me to a 3rd world sugar producing country somewhere in SE Asia kinda sorta, and i figure i better be well versed in the local options, coconut is another potential i will explore. i have found that i really like coconut water unsweetened with a little rum or sweet feed sloshed into it... and i know the locals there have a distillate from coconut that is a source of national pride.

now i will sit down and read your recipe

which

regards

Rastus
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

I can see..... no no no I can almost TASTE some rum in my future.... Hopefully I can get it done right about vacation time. I can just picture a slow pickling while sitting on the beach for a week or so.

I drag the camper right out on the beach for a week.... what a way to enjoy it.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sounds good, Rastus. Yeah, it's hard to come up with DAP and stuff like that in a lot of places, but if you have access to yeast and molasses there, you'll have it made.

And Black Eye, I'd give anything to go with you. My family and I are hoping to someday wrangle our way to living a lot closer to a beach. If that happens, I'll be waist-deep out in the surf with a fishing pole in my hands pretty much every day, I think.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Thanks for the writeup, BB. Gonna have to try your dunder essence idea, lots better than re-filtering the entire batch.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sure thing, heartcut. Yeah, the flavor I've been getting out of it is amazing.
short bus
Novice

Post by short bus »

Buccaneer thanks a bunch for your time and efforts :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I was always wondering how they make Meyers Rum taste the way it does? I have been stuck on Wheat Whiskey for a couple of years now and is damn fine. Rum is next :D Especially after reading your work :clap:

Keep on stillin :thumbup:
Shorty
Living the dream!!
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Thanks, short bus. I hope you try it and like it. It's been quite awhile since I had Myers Rum, but that was one of the ones I kindof had in mind with my Black Rum. If nothing else, I think my recipe will put you on the right track for a Myers type rum. Mixed with Coke, the taste is ... magical. That's about the best way I can describe it.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Bob,

Thanks for making this recipe a PDF. I can store in iBooks and refer to it as needed.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Black Eye wrote:Thanks for making this recipe a PDF. I can store in iBooks and refer to it as needed.
Sure thing. Yeah, having the recipe in pdf format makes it really easy to email, print and whatnot. But now that you mention it, heck, I can even read it on my cellphone. Coooool. 8)
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Yeah iBooks on my iPhone is great. I keep my recipes on it along with other useful info so I don't have to access the Internet when I need it.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Bob,

Running this recipe fire the first time today. Thanks for sharing. I'm at my clarifying stage now and pretty damn excited. Smells great. I don't know why on earth I'm craving my mother in-laws snickerdoodle cookies?
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Wow, Black Eye, you are my new best friend!

I had just about given up on anybody actually trying this thing.

Let me know how it works out, because I'm dying to know.

One anecdote.

We had a get-together a few weeks ago, and my brother-in-law was there, along with his best buddy, Ivan.

Well, Ivan is a good guy. He comes from a family of butchers, three generations of butchers running three separate butcher shops at different locations around the nearest town.

They all love good food, and every time you stop by one of their butcher shops, they always offer you a taste of this and taste of that.

"Oh, and here, have a shot of (this whiskey or that tequila) while you're at it."

They love good food, and they love good liquor.

And they will spend good money for the good stuff, too.

They're the kind of guys who will drop a hundred bucks on a bottle of something, if they think it's the good stuff, you know.

So I brought out some of my Black Rum at the get-together, and suffice it to say, a good time was had by all.

After I left, Ivan started raving to my brother-in-law about how much he liked my rum.

Supposedly, he said something to the effect of: "I would trade all of the liquor that I have ever drank for your brother-in-law's rum."

Yeah, he just went on and on about it, you know.

The cool thing is, he said this to my brother-in-law after I had already gone home.

He wasn't trying to butter me up for some free rum. He was saying it because he really meant it. He really liked my rum.

And I got to hear about it, myself, first hand, when I dropped him off a bottle of his very own, a few days later.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Only thing I strayed on was the multi step fermentation. I got it all going at once. I clarified my blackstrap like you suggested and :thumbup: :thumbup: with the lemon and lime juice aling with the 2 hour soak itreally separated out the solids. Woke up this morning and it's fermenting away VERY happily. You can smell the gas coming off the airlock and it smells fantastic. I saved the PDF to my phone and I've read it a number of times... From shopping to each phase of my progress.

Thanks for sharing it. I'll keep you posted as I get it further along. I'm planning on holding off my first real sampling of it until my beach / fishing trip in August. But I'm sure I'll cheat on that a little.

Really looking forward to your Dunder flavoring. If I'm real ambitious ill try to make all three... Dark, gold and white... But my favorite rum is high proof dark spiced rum. Right now I'm drinking the kraken.

When I picked up my black strap from the feed store (had to special order) it was a 5 gallon bucket so I'll have enough for a few ferments.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Black Eye wrote:Only thing I strayed on was the multi step fermentation. I got it all going at once.
Keep in mind that the reason I went with the two stage fermentation was to keep from having the high osmotic pressure of all that sugar stressing the yeast. Theoretically yeast can handle the sugar required to ferment to 14% ABV, but blackstrap molasses has a lot of unfermentable sugar in it that pushes the osmotic pressure above what it would theoretically be for a 14% ABV fermentation. It may not make a lot of difference in the real world, but in theory, excess osmotic pressure could result in a smidgen more heads. The worse case scenario is that you might have to take a slightly larger head-cut. But it really may not make that much difference. Like I said, it's really as much theoretical as anything.
I'm planning on holding off my first real sampling of it until my beach / fishing trip in August. But I'm sure I'll cheat on that a little.
I predict that if you take even the tiniest taste before August, you're going to polish-off at least one batch before your trip and have to do another round before then. :ewink:
If I'm real ambitious ill try to make all three... Dark, gold and white... But my favorite rum is high proof dark spiced rum. Right now I'm drinking the kraken.
Sounds good. Yeah, I've been splitting my runs into either silver-and-gold or silver-and-black, here lately. My wife and her sister like the silver with pineapple juice, so we've been going through a LOT of that lately. The gold has been my go-to rum for most drinks, but the black is just magical with Coke.

It's funny, a lot of people are mysteriously drawn to the black rum. You show them the silver or the gold, and they're like, "Oh, yeah, whatever..." But you show them the black rum, and they start gazing into the bottle like it's a crystal ball or something, and they're like, "So, it's BLACK, huh? .......... Can I try some?..."

And then they take a sip, and they're like, "Wow, it's like chocolate ... and coffee ... and ... caramel ... all at the same time. Wow, that's REALLY good!"
When I picked up my black strap from the feed store (had to special order) it was a 5 gallon bucket so I'll have enough for a few ferments.
Glad you found blackstrap. This recipe was developed with feed grade blackstrap molasses, and anything else would throw things off, I think. Yeah, five gallons of blackstrap should be enough for about five runs and give you about 25 bottles of rum, if all goes according to plan. Assuming you didn't pay an arm and a leg for the blackstrap, rum can be some really economical drinking. :D

Thanks for the update, and I look forward to hearing more as you get a little closer. :thumbup:
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

The bucket of black strap was $24 for 5 gallons, that's less than $5 per wash for the black strap. I think I'm into this 10 gallon wash for under $20

I knew I was pushing it by doing it all in one day, but I was just amped up to get some rum going. I worked to the low end of the recipe so I should have about 10.5% and I packed a yeast punch. Next run I'm going to do it in steps and compare. I'll have some rum in jars to play with so I can be a little more patient.

Black? It looked like I drained the oil out of the jeep into the fermenting bucket... but it smelled wonderful. Really looking forward to sampling this. I haven't really had any rum in about a year. All I've been drinking is whiskey. Sunday I dug out a bottle of the Kraken and really sat down to sip and get to know it again. My old lady thought I was nutty, taking sips, washing it around, taking notes.

when I woke up the next moring it was bubbling about 4-5 bubbles a second. By noon it stopped taking the break between bubbling and went straight to boiling the airlock. After 48 hours it's slowing down to a normal rate maybe one every second or so. I might pop it open tonight and see how that head is doing, sometimes degassing is a good thing. This is the first ferment I left out on the deck... I was afraid the airlocks would plug up and blow the top, but they really came thru for me. Leaving the tops on loose for me isn't really an option. The dog or the bears would be in it and the old lady was bitching about the smell of the black strap before it even had yeast in it.

I'll keep you updated.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

That dunder essence, after a month or so, is cleaner and gives better flavor than adding dunder directly to dark rum, IMO. Thanks again.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Interesting you should mention that, heartcut, because that is one of the things I have been playing with lately.

With my first few batches, I was using dunder more or less right out of the still for my dark rum essence, and I liked the flavor I was getting quite a bit. But I have since started experimenting with letting the dunder get funky.

One of the interesting changes I have noticed is how the density of the color changes. My theory is that when the dunder comes out of the still, there are a lot of free carbon atoms floating around, so the dunder is as black as midnight.

Over the course of a few days, though, the color of the dunder becomes less dense, less black and more red. What I believe is happening is that the microbes take up a lot of the free carbon to make cells, and that's where a lot of that original blackness goes.

And the only way to unlock that free carbon from their cells would be to really cook the crap out of them, which would be more trouble than it would be worth, I think.

Then there's the viscosity. When it first comes out of the still, the dunder is thin like water. But after a few days, it gets a lot thicker, something like the viscosity of milk. And eventually it gets into a stage approaching egg white sliminess.

My guess is that this thickening is caused by all of the microbes in suspension. Because on down the line, the microbes fall out of suspension and the viscosity of the dunder goes back to more like water.

At least that's what it does in my dunder pit. My dunder pit has a layer of sediment in it that closely resembles the sediment of yeast settling out at the end of a wash fermentation. Except with the dunder, it's old bacteria settling out.

What I have noticed using dunder in the milk viscosity range is that it's a lot slower to settle out when you mix it into your rum than it is if you use dunder right out of the still.

Using dunder right out of the still, my rum settles crystal clear in about a week, but using milk-thick dunder that was about a week old, I have a batch of rum that's been sitting for a week that is nowhere close to settled. If I had to guess, I would say that it needs at least a second week to settle.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that I'm trying to determine what is gained and what is lost when the dunder is aged, from a dark rum essence perspective: how it flavors the rum, how it settles out, how it colors the rum, and so on.

As time goes along, I lose a lot of the color, but the flavor changes. I am guessing the flavor becomes more complex (or twangy, maybe). But I can also picture there being a tipping point, too.

It's just a whole new avenue to explore, you know, trying to determine the optimum age for the dunder to use in a dark rum essence.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sorry I haven't gotten back with you sooner, Black Eye. I was getting ready to reply, and my internet crashed. Living in a Third World country, my internet service is about as close to "two tin cans and a piece of string" as you can get. :lol:
Black Eye wrote:I was afraid the airlocks would plug up and blow the top, but they really came thru for me. Leaving the tops on loose for me isn't really an option. The dog or the bears would be in it and the old lady was bitching about the smell of the black strap before it even had yeast in it.
Good you were able to come up with an airlock setup. That's what I've got, as well. But I worded the original recipe in such a way that it left people open to use whatever works. Some guys just lay a piece of plate glass across the top of the bucket. Other guys might use plastic wrap with pin holes in it and tied on with string. Just so long as it keeps the bugs out but vents the CO2, that'll do the trick. Unless, of course, you've got bears. Then locking down tight with an airlock is the best bet. :lol:
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

yup air locks worked good. Fermented out 2 days ago it's clear as oil can get. Wifes away tonight so I just fired up the boiler. Should have raw Rum in a few hours :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
sgtjjmayle
Novice

Post by sgtjjmayle »

Hey there! I downloaded your PDF which is great but it says it's only one page. I am guessing it is more than one page since you have a two step fermentation and page one ends with fermenting the mollases only. Do you add the sugar in after the initial ferment? Or could you repost the recipe PDF? Thanks. Looking forward to running my first rum sometime soon!!
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

sgtjjmayle wrote:Hey there! I downloaded your PDF which is great but it says it's only one page. I am guessing it is more than one page since you have a two step fermentation and page one ends with fermenting the mollases only. Do you add the sugar in after the initial ferment? Or could you repost the recipe PDF? Thanks. Looking forward to running my first rum sometime soon!!
Wow, thanks for the heads-up! Apparently the pdf file has become corrupted on the homedistiller server. I have contacted one of the administrators to see how to fix things. In the meantime, here is a non-corrupted version.