Jimbo's easy 1/2barrel Wheated Bourbon and Gumballhead

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bridwell52
Novice

Re: Jimbo's easy 1/2barrel Wheated Bourbon and Gumballhead

Post by bridwell52 »

During the cooling period, can you add some ice to speed things up. ?
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Jimbo wrote:Hey Bama, it went from smellin like fresh bread dough on Sunday to polish remover on Monday? Guess that answers the question 'think it'l keep till Monday' :lol:
Far as opening and stirring, dont do that! Pitch the yeast and leave it alone. Keep your spoon and snout out of it for a week. Them little yeasty buggers will find their way into every nook and cranny of that ferment bucket, no worries there.
Jimbo,
It's now a week and them yeasty buggers are STILL going crazy. Opened the cooler, polish remover smell's been gone, nothing but sour.
Here's a pic:
Jimbos Mash.jpg
Also, it's been in the cooler indoors about 68-70 F - 20C - and has stayed well above room temperature. Currently at 35 C.
I was gonna siphon it off the grain but it's still bubbling pretty good. Don't know if I should leave the top open, siphon or just close it back up and let it keep working. :?: :?: :?:
:mrgreen:
Last edited by TDick on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Looks like time to squeeze that through some paint strainer bags and still er up.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
crazywednesday
Novice

Post by crazywednesday »

Anyone ever try a second Gumball off the original corn? Well, Im starting one. Havent even run the first yet. 3 gallons backset. 15 gallons water. 30lbs azucar. 10 tsp yeast nutrient. Let her rip.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

crazywednesday wrote:Anyone ever try a second Gumball off the original corn? Well, Im starting one. Havent even run the first yet. 3 gallons backset. 15 gallons water. 30lbs azucar. 10 tsp yeast nutrient. Let her rip.
Keep us posted!
:D
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Jimbo wrote:Looks like time to squeeze that through some paint strainer bags and still er up.
I am embarrassed to say that due to circumstances beyond my control, plus some other excuses, the Bourbon and Gumball wash has been sitting since November.
No idea what's going to happen but I am determined to run something this weekend!

It 'may taste like a litterbox by now but by God I'm gonna run it!
I went to the shed and checked and here's what I got on the Bourbon:
Whiskey mash 1.JPG
WhiskeyMash 2.JPG
The Gumball is extremely cloudy and has a few buggies in it.
Gumball Wash 1.jpg
Gumball Wash 2.jpg

I ASSuME I need to strain them both and let them settle.

Because it's been sitting so long, I was wondering if any of the Old Pros could tell anything from the number.
Just academic because I'm going to run it regardless.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Well they didnt go all the way dry but 1.01 is a respectable FG.

More importantly what do they taste like. Dont worry wont kill ya. If they taste good, just sour, your hooch will turn out fine. If they taste like baby shit or vinegar, save yourself the time and dump em on your compost heap.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Blackdirt Cowboy
Novice

Post by Blackdirt Cowboy »

I’ve got 20 gallons of this mashing right now. Whoa Nellie is corn a pain to work with. I was shooting for a 20 gallon wash so I used 50 pounds of grain at a ratio of 70% corn, 16% wheat, and 14% barley. I overestimated how much my pot would hold and only ended up using 15.5 gallons of water, so my mash was pretty thick, nearly 3.25 pounds of grain per gallon. I still hit an OG of 1.080, which is way higher than I wanted, due to the reduced water volume. Had I been able to use 20 gallons, I would have nailed my target OG of 1.065.

I am struggling with cooling this mash down. I got it to around 100-105°, but can’t get it down past that. I ran out of ice to chill the water I was running through my immersion chiller. How do most of y’all cool down large batches? I’m waitin for help to get here to help me move this heavy pot to my fermentation chamber. Also, how much head space do I need in my fermentor?
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Blackdirt Cowboy wrote:I’ve got 20 gallons of this mashing right now. Whoa Nellie is corn a pain to work with. I was shooting for a 20 gallon wash so I used 50 pounds of grain at a ratio of 70% corn, 16% wheat, and 14% barley. I overestimated how much my pot would hold and only ended up using 15.5 gallons of water, so my mash was pretty thick, nearly 3.25 pounds of grain per gallon. I still hit an OG of 1.080, which is way higher than I wanted, due to the reduced water volume. Had I been able to use 20 gallons, I would have nailed my target OG of 1.065.
I used a 12 gallon cooler for my first run (see the comment up there a bit) and I also did not factor the mass of the grain into my planning. Once it had fermented for a week, I was only able to draw off about 4 gallons. So I topped off with warm water as a sparge and let it sit for a couple of days.
Blackdirt Cowboy wrote: I am struggling with cooling this mash down. I got it to around 100-105°, but can’t get it down past that. I ran out of ice to chill the water I was running through my immersion chiller. How do most of y’all cool down large batches? I’m waitin for help to get here to help me move this heavy pot to my fermentation chamber. Also, how much head space do I need in my fermentor?
The cooler held heat well overnight. I opened it and used a box fan and a paint mixer on my drill to add water and cool it. Stirred in wheat and barley, closed it up to sit a while then let it cool to 90 to pitch yeast (too hot).

Good Luck! Whatcha gonna make with your Gumball?
Blackdirt Cowboy
Novice

I’ll prolly use the gumball to make panty droppers for my wife. She’s not much on alcoholic drinks unless they are sweet. Prolly use some for mixers as well as most of my family won’t drink whiskey straight.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Buy a bag of ice.
It will get your temp down and lower your OG a bit.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Blackdirt Cowboy
Novice

I am using wyeast 1056 to ferment the wash. I have it in my fermentation chamber at 67°. The pH of the wash is 4.0. I made a five liter starter, then stepped it up another 5 liters, so I pitched a massive amount of yeast. It still seems fermentation is going too slow. I pitched the yeast Monday morning, and as of noon Wednesday, the gravity has only dropped 20 points. I don’t see any way this finishes in a week, much less three or four days.

I am familiar with beer fermentations, and expected a krausen to form. Instead I just get a cap from the grains. I mix the cap back in daily with a sterilized spoon to keep it from drying out, and when I do the mixture bubbles at a decent rate. I guess I’m just nervous that it’s not fermenting correctly. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to relax and let it play out? I guess I’m looking for someone to tell me “Hey, stupid, you should’ve done...” or give me some reassurance that all is going well. Thanks.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

When I want to worry over a ferment I just leave a hydrometer floating in it. Its not precise due to co2, and you have to push the grain cap aside to read it, but you can watch it drop every day and then you dont need a stranger on the net to tell you it is fine.

But, it is fine :)
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

When I got a cap I'm a happy camper. When it falls I start measuring stuff to see where it's at. Most times it's done. Your fussin to much. Relax brother...….
school
Novice

Post by school »

If I wanted to do this with flaked maize instead of cracked corn, is it just a 1:1 substitution? Thanks.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

school wrote:If I wanted to do this with flaked maize instead of cracked corn, is it just a 1:1 substitution? Thanks.
I ran this recipe a while back using flaked Maize in a one-to-one substitute and it turned out great
school
Novice

Post by school »

jon1163 wrote:
school wrote:If I wanted to do this with flaked maize instead of cracked corn, is it just a 1:1 substitution? Thanks.
I ran this recipe a while back using flaked Maize in a one-to-one substitute and it turned out great
Thank you!
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

I am steam stripping a barrel of an all grain mash fermented on the grain. Once all grain slop is steam stripped is it worth using the steam stripped grains for a gumball sugar piggyback? Or is all the good gone out of them? What do ye think? JD
Blackdirt Cowboy
Novice

For anyone who’s made this, what was the nose of your whiskey like? I have a couple quarts of 52% aging on toasted and charred post oak fingers. It’s been on wood for about a month and it smells like smoked bacon. I’ve tried a little taste and it’s really smooth, with a creamy, buttery mouthfeel. I tase a little sweetness but a whole lot of smoke. I’ve never had any whiskey that’s tasted anything like this, but then again I usually don’t drink a wheated bourbon. It’s good, just different. What are y’alls experiences?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Smoked bacon aint right. Something went astray. A wheated bourbon is not much different than a rye'd bourbon, most people couldnt tell teh differevce. Wheat is just a little less spicy, and a little sweeter and smoother. Makers Mark is wheated bourbon. Smoked bacon tells me you might have had a scorch somewhere in the process?
Blackdirt Cowboy
Novice

Thanks Jimbo. I suppose a scorch was possible when I cooked the corn for this batch, as I cooked it in direct heat in a BOP. I changed my process, though. Now I put my corn in a 55 gallon drum and pour the boiling water over it. However, I think impatience may be what it is. It now has a much sweeter smell, and the smokiness has subsided substantially. I really think the oak was causing the smell and I’m not giving the aging process enough time. The hearts had absolutely no smell before I added the oak, so I think I just need to let the aging play out. Like you said, “keep your nose and your mitts out of it for four months.” Patience has never been a virtue of mine.
school
Novice

Post by school »

Just curious if the volumes I got from the bourbon recipe seem reasonable to y’all. I ended up with about 11 gallons to distill after racking. Two inch pot still. Got 6.2 liters at 41% abv. Sounds about right? Also, would y’all dilute that down a bit and do spirit run or should I repeat for better volume? 15 gallon keg boiler. Thanks.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

School, 11 gallons at 8% (if thats what you got) is about 1 gallon at 80%. With losses the 1.5 gallon at 40% is within the realm of enjoy your experience and have a toast, you did good.

Definitely take it down a little (30%) and run it again. Whiskeys are much better run twice for certain. make your careful cuts on teh spirit run.

Cheers,

Jimbo
Jimbo
retired

A trilogy of 5 year old Gumballs

Post by Jimbo »

Just dusted off the 2013 shelf and bottled these up. 3 different 5 yo Gumballheads. All delicious. Its worth repeating, if you've got the patience, youll be rewarded with a fine drink. These are all sugarheads, but you might not know. 2 of these are from smoked whiskeys that I posted about earlier and one is a straight gumballhead from a bourbon run. Cheers friends, Jimbo
IMG_20180930_2713.jpg
IMG_20180930_13344.jpg
TDick
Distiller

Re: A trilogy of 5 year old Gumballs

Post by TDick »

Jimbo wrote:Just dusted off the 2013 shelf and bottled these up. 3 different 5 yo Gumballheads. All delicious. Its worth repeating, if you've got the patience, youll be rewarded with a fine drink.
Cheers friends, Jimbo
The attachment IMG_20180930_2713.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_20180930_13344.jpg is no longer available
Churchill.png
Well I'm jealous!
school
Novice

Post by school »

Jimbo wrote:School, 11 gallons at 8% (if thats what you got) is about 1 gallon at 80%. With losses the 1.5 gallon at 40% is within the realm of enjoy your experience and have a toast, you did good.

Definitely take it down a little (30%) and run it again. Whiskeys are much better run twice for certain. make your careful cuts on teh spirit run.

Cheers,

Jimbo
Thank you, sir. A follow up question if y’all don’t mind, I have a feeling it’s a dumb one.

I did the spirit run until what was coming out was 30%. When I mixed everything together (I collected in two gallon jugs) it averaged 41%. So did I take it down to 30%, or does that refer to when the average of the whole mixture is 30%? Does that make sense?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

school wrote:I did the spirit (do you mean stripping?) run until what was coming out was 30%.
...when the average of the whole mixture is 30%...
That!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
school
Novice

Post by school »

still_stirrin wrote:
school wrote:I did the spirit (do you mean stripping?) run until what was coming out was 30%.
...when the average of the whole mixture is 30%...
That!
ss
I did mean stripping run, thank you.

Well I’ll be darned. Every time I think I’m starting to understand things I learn something else I’m doing wrong. Guess I left a lot of liquor in the boiler.
82Winger
Novice

Post by 82Winger »

Help. I tried this recipe but the temp on my corn mix cooled too low before I added my wheat. I tried to bring the temp back up with some boiled water but only managed 110 degrees. I added bread yeast but very little action. Should I pitch it out and start over. It does smell delicious. Thanks
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

82Winger wrote:Help. I tried this recipe but the temp on my corn mix cooled too low before I added my wheat. I tried to bring the temp back up with some boiled water but only managed 110 degrees. I added bread yeast but very little action. Should I pitch it out and start over. It does smell delicious. Thanks
Sounds like you gelatinized the corn ok, which softens up the starches and gets them ready for the enzymes. But if you dont get the enzymes going at 145F or so with some malt, the yeast will have nothing to much on. They cant deal with starch, only shorter chain sugar molecules created when enzymes dice up the long starch chains. Luckily the fixins here are low cost. Ya, dump it and go at it again. Remember that corn needs boiling hot water and time, then watch it close and dump the milled malt in at 150F or so.