Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by artooks »

Odin I just done a small batch 700 ml In my experimental glass still, one word "AWESOME"
This is the best recipe that goes perfectly with Tonic this is not my first batch I did everything in the boiler except the tangerine peels.
I put the peels in vapor path, and the result is just very very good sipping after 10 days :) could not wait 5 weeks.

IMG_4333.jpg
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Also I would like to add that using Juniper in this recipe X and coriander X/4 is very spot on if you want to bring Juniper forward.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

On Easter Sunday my Italian friends opened a bottle and they called it "a man's gin"!
Needless to say they loved it also.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I would like to make an OEG essence X 10 times, to do that normally if we receive 400 ml @ 80%ABV and we need to dilute it with 311 ml water to get to %45 ABV with a total volume of 711 ml. Now if I were to multiply everything by 10

120 grams Juniper
30 grams Coriander
I use 3 grams tangerine so 30 grams in vapor path

and put a liter of %43 ABV and receive 400 ml so now since I multiply everything by 10 does this means that I need 40 ml of %80 ABV essence and if I dilute it to 45 I add 31 ml water which comes to 76 ml total volume so if I subtract this from the original volume does this mean:

711 ml @ 45 ABV - 76 ml essence @ 45 ABV = 635 ml @ 45 pure alcohol.

Am I thinking the correct way ?
Vintage
Novice

Post by Vintage »

I wasn't even a Gin drinker for pete's sake. Was finishing up a flute build for a friend, doing the final assembly at another friend's house who wants to build one, and he's asking all sorts of Gin questions I can't answer. Couple weeks later, first run of the new flute we're distilling a craft beer and friend #1 hands me a local Gin bottle, but it's colored, not whisky colored, but certainly not Gin clear. Well, apparently now I like aged Gin, or at least well made Gin, not sure if the light aging comes through that much, maybe more of a novelty. So I land on this thread, read those instructions several times, order up my stuff. Got the CROW gumballhead ready to run through the flute, all plates in, tight cuts, yessir. Combined abv of saved cut was 91, not bad, and very little whisky note, so I'm happy and figure the botanicals could cover up a good amount of flavor anyways, er, maybe. Couldn't find Tangerines, so Mandarins it is. I'm eating up Mandarins like crazy one morning, like the recipe says, getting pretty full, because I'm making 8 liters, and my lady friend says why didn't you use skins I saved you. :wtf: Stayed pretty close to the recipe, because I have no basis to change it. Initially smelled pretty heavy of Juniper, day 2 it was all Mandarin. Filtered everything out after 2 weeks and it's got a beautiful color, but can only smell the Mandarin. That's ok, it smells great and I love oranges. Don't have a potstill anymore, so out come all the plates on my flute. I wasn't thinking clearly on adding extra water to cover my element, and probably added a bit more than required. Should be volume to cover element plus 400ml times X liters you're running. Flute ran like a champ in potsill mode, no reflux whatsoever. Collected 3200 ml as prescribed, which came out at a combined 74abv, may have ran a tad fast, or too low abv in the boiler. Truth be told, I kept another small jar after the 3200ml cut off and drank it that night. Should have been into the tails, but it was so good. I don't think this CROWGin is going to last 5 weeks it's so good. I wasn't even a Gin drinker for pete's sake!!
Paulos27
Novice

Post by Paulos27 »

Terrenum wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:15 am I am new on this forum and have introduced myself in the welcoming section.
I have a quick question. If I dilute to 35% before running the OEG, do I collect only 400ml? there will just be more water at the end of the run I guess
I have the same question as the above which only ended up getting answered with what 1 person did. Any additional feedback on what others do?

I.e. if you have 3L of 40% and water down to 4L of 30% prior to the final run, do you collect 1.2L or 1.6L?

Thanks!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I can take a stab according to what I do: First of all, the maceration at 43% is key to the collection of 40% by volume. Personally, I take 40% of the original (undiluted) volume.

HOWEVER, as you play with this and add other botanicals, I tend to take the *next* 5% increments in separate jars up to 50% original volume and make a determination based on their own characteristics. But I base the 40% on the undiluted volume.
-- Rrmuf
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

I made a batch a while ago from a gumballhead off a bourbon mash. It has an off flavor that my wife identified as Brie cheese rind. Not terrible, but does not go well with G&T. I am pretty sure that it is from bad cuts on my neutral. Any idea if this will age out? If not, can I redistill, either in pot still of ccvm?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Not likely to age out. You want a clean neutral to start. If you have enough I'd redistill in reflux. Otherwise add to your feints container for later
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Agree with Tummydoc if you are going to make gin I would redistill.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you think it might age well, put it on a toasted, charred, oak stave in 2/3rds full glassware and put it away for a few years.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Paulos27 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pm
Terrenum wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:15 am I am new on this forum and have introduced myself in the welcoming section.
I have a quick question. If I dilute to 35% before running the OEG, do I collect only 400ml? there will just be more water at the end of the run I guess
I have the same question as the above which only ended up getting answered with what 1 person did. Any additional feedback on what others do?

I.e. if you have 3L of 40% and water down to 4L of 30% prior to the final run, do you collect 1.2L or 1.6L?

Thanks!
For my 2 cents worth, the 3l @ 40% equates to 1.2l at 100% ABV

I typically like to distill at least 10l @ 40% but I collect in small batches (say 400ml jars at the beginning) and monitor the ABV of each sample. I then work out how much alcohol has been distilled from the original maceration. This gives me a fair idea of when I have to begin monitoring the outflow more closely.

In short, if you get more familiar with heads, hearts and tails you will answer your own questions IMO. Odin's recipe is foolproof if you simply collect the 40% as per his calculations but you might well find that you have a preference for a finer hearts cut (less) or take more of the hearts and into the tails (which I understand a few people do).

I like to let my tails age a day or two and see if they will blend in with my hearts but I am a greedy SOB and want more volume out of each hour I spend at the still!

Good luck, keep learning, you will have a lot of fun doing it and remember, you will meet a lot of friends on this website, they just may not all be yours!
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Hi guys. So if I’m doing 12.4 litres of Neutral with this recipe do I really need the skins from 12.4 mandarins?

Or can I drop that number down a bit?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Truman50 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:26 pm Hi guys. So if I’m doing 12.4 litres of Neutral with this recipe do I really need the skins from 12.4 mandarins?

Or can I drop that number down a bit?
If you want to make OEG, no, and the citrus should be Tangerines.

OEG is very strong on citrus and I use a lot less in my gins and seldom use Tangerine. Search the web and the forum for other botanical bills. Use what I've got usually works for me, but I have a small gin still and my cockups aren't 12l cockups :D
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Use what citrus is available, mandarin, tangerine, or orange zest. But i use about 50% less (macerate 2 tangerines in 4 liters) and its citrus forward but where I like it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Do you really want to make 12 L if this is your first attempt?.......12 L of gin that you might not like is going to be a struggle to drink.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Good points guys... I cant get tangerine so using Mandarins.
@tummydoc. Will go with 2 mandarins per 4 litres.
@ Saltbush Bill. This is actually my 2nd gin attempt. (First time I used a different recipe and it was good but not as citrus forward as I would have liked it to be.) But this is my first Odins gin attempt. Good point though and I think I will maybe just use half for the first time and see what I think of it.

Thanks for the tips guys.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Truman50 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:03 am This is actually my 2nd gin attempt. (First time I used a different recipe and it was good but not as citrus forward as I would have liked it to be.)
Keep tweaking. Every gin I make takes into account the results that I have had from my previous gins.

Keep good records of what you do on the off chance that you stumble on something very special that you would love to make again.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Agree with NZ, tweak not drastic changes comparing it with your last batch. I say this because you are saying it was good but not great thus moderate changes where needed.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

NZChris wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 am
Truman50 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:03 am This is actually my 2nd gin attempt. (First time I used a different recipe and it was good but not as citrus forward as I would have liked it to be.)
Keep tweaking. Every gin I make takes into account the results that I have had from my previous gins.

Keep good records of what you do on the off chance that you stumble on something very special that you would love to make again.
Thanks Chris, good advice. My first gin was too juniper forward so going to try and get more citrus in it this time. I used a spice grinder to grind the juniper which may have been the problem. this time Ive used a mortar and pestle and I am using citrus peel instead of zest as in my last recipe so that should help keep the juniper down a bit and the citrus up.
Last edited by Truman50 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i've tried that amusing citrus peel before, but i thought it tasted funny :lol:
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

howie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:44 pm i've tried that amusing citrus peel before, but i thought it tasted funny :lol:
:D :D :D Fixed..
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Truman50 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:17 pm
NZChris wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 am

Thanks Chris, good advice. My first gin was too juniper forward so going to try and get more citrus in it this time. I used a spice grinder to grind the juniper which may have been the problem. this time Ive used a mortar and pestle and I am using citrus peel instead of zest as in my last recipe so that should help keep the juniper down a bit and the citrus up.
Don't forget to take as much pith off as you can. We call it "taking the pith".
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It’s a good idea to remove as much of the pith as possible but with oranges, tangerines it is not as critical as with lemons.
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm We call it "taking the pith".
I suspect the non-antipodeans will not get that one!
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

So my first attempt at OEG has been macerating for week now. And it smells amazing. No tangerines here so I used an orange rind that I cut the pith off (We Brits take the "pith" as well. Just look at Monty Python!). Need to get my hands on a stainless saucepan that I can weld a TC onto the lid of. Then I'll have my stove-top mini gin still. The first sniff the evening that I started it made me want to go to the local herbalist and buy a few grams of everything.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

And after a somewhat longer maceration than intended (it got about 4 weeks in all) I finally got around to running it tonight. Fresh off the still it's bright and citrusy, but very balanced and easily drinkable. I'll be interested to see what it's like after 4 / 5 weeks. Starting prepping some more neutral a few days ago and I'll be scaling this up for a biggish batch in the near future.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Enjoy the journey! I really like the process and have been adding (or adjusting) one or two botanicals at a time. It's fun!
-- Rrmuf
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Went back to the original Odins recipe..... tastes good and much better than the bought stuff IMO
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Absolutely! When you are up to it, you can experiment with macerating at different ABVs (as well as addition of specific botanicals). The more gradual the changes the better.
-- Rrmuf