Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by fizzix »

slief wrote:As a gin lover who plans on trying this recipe, I have a question. I’ve read that the ingredients in making the gin tend to leave a lasting aroma in the still that can carry over into subsequent distillations and leave a flavor impression on future spirits. Have you guys found that to be the case and if so, what are you doing/using to clean the still after running a batch of gin?
8-gallon stainless with copper mesh here. Gin leaves an aroma alright. That's why I gin all I want in one big session --gallons, that is. Then done.
Then wash the mesh in PBW (Oxyclean for distillers) followed by a vinegar/citrus bath, rinse thoroughly and dry.
Meanwhile the boiler gets a good rinsing and airing.
It's usually a week between any distilling sessions for me, so the packing and boiler are kissing sweet by that time for other recipes and no carry over.

If you have a pot still and no packing, I'd imagine a good rinsing and a water boil and airing would do the trick.

Regardless, do all your ginning in one big session so you're not bouncing back and forth between recipes and constantly cleaning.
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

fizzix wrote:
slief wrote:As a gin lover who plans on trying this recipe, I have a question. I’ve read that the ingredients in making the gin tend to leave a lasting aroma in the still that can carry over into subsequent distillations and leave a flavor impression on future spirits. Have you guys found that to be the case and if so, what are you doing/using to clean the still after running a batch of gin?
8-gallon stainless with copper mesh here. Gin leaves an aroma alright. That's why I gin all I want in one big session --gallons, that is. Then done.
Then wash the mesh in PBW (Oxyclean for distillers) followed by a vinegar/citrus bath, rinse thoroughly and dry.
Meanwhile the boiler gets a good rinsing and airing.
It's usually a week between any distilling sessions for me, so the packing and boiler are kissing sweet by that time for other recipes and no carry over.

If you have a pot still and no packing, I'd imagine a good rinsing and a water boil and airing would do the trick.

Regardless, do all your ginning in one big session so you're not bouncing back and forth between recipes and constantly cleaning.
Thanks Fizzix! That was very helpful and kind of what I thought. From the sounds of it, you only clean the mesh (PBW and then vinegar or citrus) and then rinse the boiler? No cleaning of the column? Seems a short vinegar cleaning run in the still might be a good option too?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

slief wrote: Thanks Fizzix! That was very helpful and kind of what I thought. From the sounds of it, you only clean the mesh (PBW and then vinegar or citrus) and then rinse the boiler? No cleaning of the column? Seems a short vinegar cleaning run in the still might be a good option too?
Sure. That'd work and really get the lingerers out. I'm not opposed to some extra cleaning steps. That gin is potent!
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Slief - I just cleaned out my boiler (stainless) and pot still head (copper) with hot water and left them to air. I didn't even think about the carryover of flavor until reading more on this thread.... I store the boiler with the lid off, open to the air, and the pot head in my (very hot) attic. After reading about carryover, I examined the boiler and head, and couldn't detect any gin odor, and I did run a batch of whiskey (a month after the gin) and don't notice any gin odor or flavor. If you use the still again right away, it might be an issue, but if you run a pot still head with no packing, it's not hard to clean out enough that you don't get any gin flavor in the next batch. Agree with Fizzix, though, make a year's supply all at once then do a good clean, and you should be fine.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

The juniper berries you guys purchase for gin, are they dehydrated or fresh or?

We've got wild juniper berries all over here, and I'm looking to pick some, but I'm not sure how to store or use the fresh berries to use in making gin.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi, Antler, what country and area are you in?

Geoff
The Baker
DarkUtopia
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DarkUtopia »

I just made the easy gin, but I used dried lemon and orange peels and it seems the made my gin very bitter. It's not destilled yet, can I do smth against it?
I am from Austria. We use metric system!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

DarkUtopia wrote:I just made the easy gin, but I used dried lemon and orange peels and it seems the made my gin very bitter. It's not destilled yet, can I do smth against it?
The peels go a long way, but don't give up. Distill it and let the 5-week conditioning mellow it all out.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

The Baker wrote:Hi, Antler, what country and area are you in?

Geoff

East coast of Canada
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
DarkUtopia
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DarkUtopia »

fizzix wrote:
DarkUtopia wrote:I just made the easy gin, but I used dried lemon and orange peels and it seems the made my gin very bitter. It's not destilled yet, can I do smth against it?
The peels go a long way, but don't give up. Distill it and let the 5-week conditioning mellow it all out.
I just strained it and added a little more juniper, thx for advice
I am from Austria. We use metric system!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Antler24 wrote:The juniper berries you guys purchase for gin, are they dehydrated or fresh or?

We've got wild juniper berries all over here, and I'm looking to pick some, but I'm not sure how to store or use the fresh berries to use in making gin.

Anybody?
Swedish Pride wrote:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Antler24 wrote:
Antler24 wrote:The juniper berries you guys purchase for gin, are they dehydrated or fresh or?
I get juniper from Amazon and they come "fresh" and certainly hydrated in a foil bag.
They're plump and juicy and when I give them a quick pulse in the blender they release oils.
Once opened, I store the bag in the fridge. I would never go dehydrated after using these.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

fizzix wrote:
Antler24 wrote:
I get juniper from Amazon and they come "fresh" and certainly hydrated in a foil bag.
They're plump and juicy and when I give them a quick pulse in the blender they release oils.
Once opened, I store the bag in the fridge. I would never go dehydrated after using these.
Nice, I guess I'll either freeze or bottle some to keep for gin. Maybe try both. Every try any other spices in the mix? There's a locally grown summer savory that grows here as well, may try to work that in there as well.
Swedish Pride wrote:
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Dry for me but if I can get some fresh I will give that a try.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Antler 24, make sure you get the right species of juniper if you harvest from the wild, many of the species are poisonous. I think that Juniperus Virginiana and Juniperus Communis are the species of choice for gin, but others that have a better handle on it than I do, please chime in....
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

FL Brewer wrote:Antler 24, make sure you get the right species of juniper if you harvest from the wild, many of the species are poisonous. I think that Juniperus Virginiana and Juniperus Communis are the species of choice for gin, but others that have a better handle on it than I do, please chime in....
I did not know that. I'll have to do some research.
Swedish Pride wrote:
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Handed a bottle of this (four weeks old) to my bride to be for her wedding makeup trial yesterday, went downstairs this morning and 3/4 of the bottle had gone :shock:. So I think that's official approval for Odin's Gin from her and her sisters.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Beerbrewer wrote:Handed a bottle of this (four weeks old) to my bride to be for her wedding makeup trial yesterday, went downstairs this morning and 3/4 of the bottle had gone :shock:. So I think that's official approval for Odin's Gin from her and her sisters.
So ... I am invited to the wedding? ;)

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

FL Brewer wrote:Antler 24, make sure you get the right species of juniper if you harvest from the wild, many of the species are poisonous. I think that Juniperus Virginiana and Juniperus Communis are the species of choice for gin, but others that have a better handle on it than I do, please chime in....
Did some searching and there are two species of juniper that grow locally. The good news is both are edible, the great news is one of those happens species thats widely used for gin production.
Swedish Pride wrote:
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Odin wrote:
Beerbrewer wrote:Handed a bottle of this (four weeks old) to my bride to be for her wedding makeup trial yesterday, went downstairs this morning and 3/4 of the bottle had gone :shock:. So I think that's official approval for Odin's Gin from her and her sisters.
So ... I am invited to the wedding? ;)

Odin.
Oh, Ok then, I'll have to sneak you in the back way :D
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Man, is this hobby humbling! The finished product can be very frank.

I love a good glass of gin on the rocks and was really excited when I came across OEG. The result of my first try is a lesson in humility and reinforces many of the basic tenants on HD. I’ll come clean so that others may skip my approach. After reading the recipe, I set out to make a gallon of finished gin. My results are not great. I have subsequently read all 19 pages and my mistakes are now obvious.

Lesson 1. You can’t rush this hobby.
The recipe calls for good, clean neutrals as a starting point. I didn’t have any in stock or process. So, to “expedite” the process, I figured, well hell, I’ll just start with cheap vodka. This decision violated Lesson 1 and several more (including violating Odin’s recipe). I should have made the neutral.

I macerated per the recipe and it smelled wonderful. Trouble started upon the “spirit” run. To cover the elements in my kettle, I had to add a bunch of water. The result was a low ABV spirit run, which naturally resulted in me driving deeper into the run chasing the one gallon goal.

Lesson 2. Crappy cuts result in crappy finished products.
So, I wonder why I can buy a 1.75 liter handle of vodka for $9.50 US???? Answer: lousy cuts, added sugar, and who knows what else. Chasing my gallon resulted in a strong tails odor and taste towards the end. It came through to the blended and diluted product.

The initial product after airing overnight was not very impressive. If there is good news, I just checked it after 2 1/2 weeks and it is much improved, but, nothing to brag about. I’m hoping 2 1/2 more weeks will bring it around.

Lesson 3. They are called “Tried and True” for a reason.
Pretty simple concept: Follow the damn recipe! Odin spent who knows how much time developing this recipe and shared it with us. In an effort to rush, I completely screwed up an “easy” recipe. In the other 18 pages I discovered numerous examples of folks asking the “what if” question, wanting approval of their tweek to the recipe. Some exasperated members replied, “Hey, give it a try, but, you’re not making OEG.” I can now affirm that I have successfully developed a recipe for “GCB3’s Really Lousy, Disappointing Gin” (not to mention expensive). PM me if you want a copy! :lol: :wtf:

Lessons learned (hopefully).
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

GCB3 wrote:To cover the elements in my kettle, I had to add a bunch of water. The result was a low ABV spirit run, which naturally resulted in me driving deeper into the run chasing the one gallon goal.
I've had that problem before too. some people say put marbles in the boiler to take up space. the marbles never worked well for me. I've had great luck with liter Mason jars weighted down with washed river rocks. place the jars inside the boiler, without the lids of course, to displace volume and raise the level above your elements.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks, Jon. That’s a good tip. Have you ever tried just using the river rocks alone, essentially as “large marbles”?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

GCB3 wrote:Thanks, Jon. That’s a good tip. Have you ever tried just using the river rocks alone, essentially as “large marbles”?
I'm sure that'd work, too. The idea is volume --however you achieve it.

Don't fret your failed gin. Learn from it.
I had made this gin successfully & repeatedly until one session where I must've been tired, stoned, or stupid, or just plain lazy.
Used "bad" vodka, overdosed the botanicals, and I have no idea what I was thinking. Pissed me off the next day that I'd been so negligent
and I dumped the whole friggin' lot out of disgust.

Since then I've become notorious in discipline all around with this gin. Even bought a stainless neutral carbon filter system as "punishment" and
a reminder that Easy doesn't mean Stupid.

I still get raves over this gin, and my father-in-law is addicted to it.
But I'll never forget that lousy transgression where I completely f*cked it up.

May you achieve the same enlightenment.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Hey Fizzix. Glad to know I’m not the only one to screw up what should be an easy run. Next run will be clean neutrals and strick adherence to the recipe. I love me some good gin.

Not trying to redirect the thread, but, do want to make the best I can. So, you carbon filter your neutrals before starting? I haven’t “punished” myself like that yet, but, may have to give it a try and see if I’m “remorseful” enough! :lol:

Take care.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

GCB3 wrote:Hey Fizzix. Glad to know I’m not the only one to screw up what should be an easy run. Next run will be clean neutrals and strick adherence to the recipe. I love me some good gin.

Not trying to redirect the thread, but, do want to make the best I can. So, you carbon filter your neutrals before starting? I haven’t “punished” myself like that yet, but, may have to give it a try and see if I’m “remorseful” enough! :lol:

Take care.
Arguably carbon filtering isn't necessary with a good still. I can't discern much difference myself, but I've got a buddy with a sensitive palate that can.
I add a 2-foot extension to this type of filter and run a couple of gallons at a time. Don't get too hung on one though, they're really just a subjective tool.
filter.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Heat rises, so you can get into a situation where the charge below an internal element isn't circulating and isn't heating. Putting marbles or rocks below the element would restrict what little convection you already have when the level of the charge has dropped close to the element, leaving it's alcohol and flavors trapped in a cooler stagnant layer. This is why I've always done my gin runs in a small still over a hotplate or flame rather than try to run small charges in my large pot with an internal element.

Carbon filtering might help if you only have a pot still and want to move into Bombays, Carter Heads, concentrated essence etc., but for Odin's Easy Gin it shouldn't be necessary unless you are incapable of fermenting a decent wash. If you have a pot still with sufficient copper in the boiler & vapor path and aren't greedy with your cuts, double pot distilled heart cut of any of the T&T neutrals should be clean enough for Odin's Easy Gin .... as long you stick to his method. Because his method stops with a relatively high abv charge remaining in the boiler, you stop collecting before any significant late flavors from a pot stilled 'neutral' get into your gin.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks Chris. You’ve made a lot of very good comments and responses throughout this thread. You are very generous with your knowledge.

Unfortunately, I only have one set up now. It’s a 15 gal, 3” Brewhaus CM reflux column with a gin basket. For this run, I only used the lower element and ran it pretty slowly in pot mode as Odin suggested. I was just too dilute, in too much of a hurry, and too greedy. Since I have the basket, I may try Odin’s suggestion of putting the botanicals in the boiler and the peels in the basket down the road.

I’ve found that I can make three 12-13 gal washes around 8-9 pct, strip them in pot mode, combine them, and end up with 3-4 gal of 70 -85 % ABV clean hearts after a spirit run in reflux mode (depending on the cuts). My next effort will be to do this on the Birdwatchers T&T. It can’t hurt to have some extra neutral around if I don’t use it all for OEG.

I’m not sure I want to get into the carbon filtering business. The one time I tried it using a column section, it wasn’t pretty! :roll:

Thanks so much for the input and advice.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

GCB3 wrote:Unfortunately, I only have one set up now.
I only had one too, until I watched the Oz & James doco that I linked to on page one of this thread but is no longer available.
After I had found a suitable saucepan and steamer in a charity shop I built a mini gin still the next day, holding it together with daisy chained hose clamps, sealing it with flour paste and commandeering an existing Liebig for a condenser. Five years later it's been replaced with a slightly larger pot with a shooter valve and it's own SS Liebig. These mini pots have made me a large variety of gins, liqueurs, essences and experiments and have been my least expensive, but most often used stills, making me anything from 400ml to 4l of finished product out of a maximum charge of 1300ml.
Ferrum
Novice

Post by Ferrum »

I followed the recipe but I used 60% ABV for the macaration. I'm so used to the idea of using higher % for better oil extraction that I didn't occur to me that I shouldv simply followed the recipe.

After macerating for 1 day I stilled it at about 1500 W (induction), with botanicals in the still and the peels in the raiser as suggested by some people, and made the pretty much the suggested cuts except for tasting the last 100 mls, and they seemed to be very much on point. 1 L 60% of neutral made 1 L of 45% gin which is very satisfying. It did not turn cloudy during diluting but cooling it will quickly do. This is reversible however.

The product is already quite nice, although it is a bit bitter from the mandarins. Hoping that'll mellow out. Could also be that my neutral wasn't neutral enough because it is pot stilled. Nevertheless, this surely is a great drink and I'm looking forward to not drinking it all before the 5 weeks are over. Also tastes great in a G&T where the strong flavour really stands out, could make a nice cocktail with a slice of orange and a clove or something.