Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Archee72 »

I’ve made this now probably 10 times and have had only one bad bottle that tasted a bit “taily “, probably my fault
Have substituted the mandarin with lemon / lime which turned out ok but the mandarin seems best
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Congratulations Archee.

I've used several different citrus, including mandarin from from our own tree, and mandarin is very good, and like you, my only tailsy gin was my fault. It sounds like you are well on the way on your gin journey. :thumbup:
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:07 pm Interesting , never heard of anyone taking that approach to the tail end of a gin run before, kinda makes sense that it could work.
Hey Saltbush, I had a thought today.
Essentially what I did was add feints back into low wines except the low wines was what was left of the wash that I was distilling and the feints were the tails.

I just compressed it into the same run. Does that make sense?
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

NZChris wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:18 pm Congratulations Archee.

I've used several different citrus, including mandarin from from our own tree, and mandarin is very good, and like you, my only tailsy gin was my fault. It sounds like you are well on the way on your gin journey. :thumbup:
Thanks Chris, had a bit of trouble sourcing juniper berries locally for my latest batch so half the amount in my current maceration, will share how it comes out. :thumbup:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Archee72 said, 'had a bit of trouble sourcing juniper berries locally for my latest batch so half the amount in my current maceration, will share how it comes out. :thumbup:'

Just maybe you would have access to boobyalla bushes. And possibly it is the right time of the year for them to have 'fruit'.
It is also known as native juniper, and is found on sand-dune country and maybe elsewhere.
It must be possible to buy the plants as we had a hedge of it when I was little.

Don't know more but it might be interesting.

Geoff
The Baker
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

The Baker wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:35 pm Archee72 said, 'had a bit of trouble sourcing juniper berries locally for my latest batch so half the amount in my current maceration, will share how it comes out. :thumbup:'

Just maybe you would have access to boobyalla bushes. And possibly it is the right time of the year for them to have 'fruit'.
It is also known as native juniper, and is found on sand-dune country and maybe elsewhere.
It must be possible to buy the plants as we had a hedge of it when I was little.

Don't know more but it might be interesting.

Geoff

Cheers Geoff, will do some searching
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Speaking of OEG, bottled another 12 today!
Used the cardamon and a little lime peel, just fantastic!

Kept it at 50% and haven't labelled yet but I wanted to show off!! :D
OEG Batch 2.jpg
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Hi guys I just bought plated column anybody was doing Odin gin on it ? I know from plated column we ending up with more product I wonder do I have to increase igridients and to what % or what temperature in keg do I have to collect gin ?
On pot still I been always collecting to 94.5 degrees so I wonder if on plated column is the same or I just have to keep trying how is it tasting ?
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

My wife likes a far more juniper flavoured gin and I like the easy gin recipe taste. If I was to macerate maybe 500 grams of juniper berries in 40% neutral for 1 week, macerated, then run it through the pot still diluted to 20% to give me enough liquid to run and keep the usual 40% of the run, would it give me a spirit that could be used to jazz her gins up. I cant think of any other way to get a Juniper concentrate unless anyone else has any ideas.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Try adding back a little of the first 10ml Odin recommends to remove. Folks that remove too much off the front end end up with a gin light on juniper. It is not a true foreshot if you started with good clean neutral but has the oiliest part of the juniper maceration.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Make essence. Use Odin's method, but with only juniper in the pot. 5-10 times the amount should be ok.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

zed255 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:08 pm Folks that remove too much off the front end end up with a gin light on juniper. It is not a true foreshot if you started with good clean neutral but has the oiliest part of the juniper maceration.
:thumbup: +1
That or more juniper next time.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 pm Make essence. Use Odin's method, but with only juniper in the pot. 5-10 times the amount should be ok.
How many grams of macerated junipers do I need for 2 liters of 40% pure neutral. I intend to soak it for a week or so, then dilute it to 4 liters of 20%abv, so as not to bugger the base of the boiler and then fire it through the pot still ''slowley'' collecting 800ml which will be diluted back down to 40%. I know ill loose quite a bit, but im ok with that.

So How much Juniper will I need and is my method ok, or is there another way. Im making essence, not gin, so are the methods the same.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I gave you my suggestion. If you want to do something else, go for it. Keep good records to refer back to in the future.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:11 am I gave you my suggestion. If you want to do something else, go for it. Keep good records to refer back to in the future.
So your suggestion would be 60gr /120gr to 1 litre of spirit. Odins suggests 12gr per 1 litre.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That is what I said.

I have a still that can do 1l, so that is what I use for essences.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:06 am That is what I said.

Great and i have a copper parrot and a 50w brew belt.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

sampvt wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Missed the point of that reply
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

BTW, my mini still is made out of a second hand saucepan and steamer, scrap copper, uses flour paste for seals and a Liebig from another still. It would have cost less than a brew belt, or a parrot, neither of which I have any use for.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Time to get back on topic.....this is Odins recipe thread....not the what toys I own thread or the alternate gin method thread.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's not that far off topic Bill. The still I'm talking about is the one I used when posting on the first page of this thread, and the method I'm suggesting uses Odin's OEG method to fix what may be the result of using poor quality Juniper when making an OEG.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:03 pm
sampvt wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Missed the point of that reply
Ive been told that keeping the maceration vessel warm will aid and assist the leaching process of the botanicals and the parrot at the end of the condenser shows me when to stop the pot still operation when using Odins easy gin method. I didnt explain this before because Chris posted an off topic dig at me and the last thing I want is to get into it with a senior, even if he wasnt playing fair.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

You don't need a parrot for OEG. You are collecting a specific volume based on the volume you macerated in, not going by ABV at all. If you collect too long you will end up with orange flavoured likker that doesn't much resemble gin, just ask me how I know this. There will still be good alcohol in the boiler you may choose to collect separately, just be aware it will have significant orange flavour that might be hard to strip out.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I tried making gin this way once...when i knew everything and screwed it up
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:23 am I tried making gin this way once...when i knew everything and screwed it up
Im not sure how mines gonna turn out,ive doe 3 x 5 litre runs over 3 weeks and they all smell and taste different, I doubt any will work, hence my experimentation. By the way, how do you do your gin now, pray tell as I'm going nuts and looking to back to adding essences and profiles to neutral ethanol, lol.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you're using a parrot, you're not making OEG, so you could dodge some flak by starting your own thread discussing what you're really making.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:53 am If you're using a parrot, you're not making OEG, so you could dodge some flak by starting your own thread discussing what you're really making.
Take a happy pill mate, you have snipped at me several times now. I wish I was like you, born an expert that never made a mistake. Ive asked you loads of questions and got loads of half-answers. Ive been taken to school several times by you for reasons some may see as basic rookie errors and Im beginning to become frightened to post, just in case your sammy radar goes off and you decide to rip one off on me. If we were all experts like you the forum would be little more than a redundant sticky board.

I use the parrot to collate numbers and to try better understand my still / how it works and for comparison reasons only. Bill slapped your wrists earlier and was right to do so, but why take it out on me. All you needed to post was that a parrot wasnt mentioned in Odins earlier post. No need for the extra passive-aggressive crap.

It is beyond reproach that your knowledge is all powerful and you make a serious contribution to the forum but stop jumping on people, its neither nice nor kind. Lighten up, have some fun and chill with the rookies now and again. Some of our posts are funny and worth reading for the shits and giggles.

I know im not perfect and im my own worst enemy and I probably give you loads of reasons and ammo to shoot me down, but the world would be a nicer place if we all stpped digging on ech other. Im sending you a virtual hug, take it and smile.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I offered some friendly advice. A simple 'thank you' would suffice.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 pm I offered some friendly advice. A simple 'thank you' would suffice.
NO YOU DIDNT. You took a swipe at me then offered a passive-aggressive explanation. Im 68 and was born at night, not last night. Please just ignore me because if your advice comes with friendliness, I dont want it. Just ignore me and let me suffer, please.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Please keep your arguments to private messages, both of you.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.