Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Terrenum
Novice

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Terrenum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 pm Sounds to me that your stove top might be cycling on and off.......cant see any other reason for it to be that slow.
It is cycling on/off you are right. I am running a stripping run at the moment for a brandy and max output I can get is 575-600ml per hour.

Back to OEG (don't want to hack his thread) I finally got to try the gin 24h after my run. It is juniper forward, don't get a lot of citrus (used orange peel, remove them from the wash and didn't put them in vapour path). Comparing to a bought Gin I really like (Waxwing) it is not as "bright"; I guess the flavours are still a bit scrambled at this point and will integrate with time. It is a great blending gin. It made very nice G&T.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Terrenum wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:57 pm slow.
It is cycling on/off you are right.
You cant run a still that way.....start a new thread for more discussion on that subject if need be.
no_no_no
Novice

Post by no_no_no »

Just ran 5+ gal through the still today after two weeks of waiting. I had to add a couple gallons of distilled water to make sure my element stated below the waterline. Smelled like orange creamsicle early on! Not much Juniper that i could tell. Might not have crushed the berries well enough. Can’t wait for tasting time!

You guys proof down before or after the 5 weeks? Prob does not matter.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Proof it down first, otherwise it needs more time after you have upset it with dilution.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

no_no_no wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:22 pm Just ran 5+ gal through the still today after two weeks of waiting. I had to add a couple gallons of distilled water to make sure my element stated below the waterline. Smelled like orange creamsicle early on! Not much Juniper that i could tell. Might not have crushed the berries well enough. Can’t wait for tasting time!

You guys proof down before or after the 5 weeks? Prob does not matter.
was that OEG method?
5 galls (19L) of good neutral with 228gm juniper/114gms coriander + citrus?
wait 2 weeks. was that maceration time?
have a chew on a juniper afterwards, there's no taste left in mine, even with just a light crush and overnight soak.
no_no_no
Novice

Post by no_no_no »

howie wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:31 pm was that OEG method?
5 galls (19L) of good neutral with 228gm juniper/114gms coriander + citrus?
wait 2 weeks. was that maceration time?
have a chew on a juniper afterwards, there's no taste left in mine, even with just a light crush and overnight soak.
Yep, OEG with 2 weeks maceration. I'll proof it down tomorrow and give it a week before drawing conclusions. It smells great, just really citrus forward.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

OEG is citrus heavy. I have been gradually adjusting my botanicals but I can say with even half the citrus it is still very citrus forward. It is still one of out favourites.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Terrenum
Novice

Post by Terrenum »

zed255 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:29 am OEG is citrus heavy. I have been gradually adjusting my botanicals but I can say with even half the citrus it is still very citrus forward. It is still one of out favourites.
I just macerated the peel for 48 hr and removed them before boiling; haven't added them to the vapour path and it's well balanced.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Personally, I make sure there is ZERO pith left in the peel, cut back on it signifiantly, add other botanicals and I leave the peels (and everything) in during distilation after 48hr maceration. Love it!!!!
-- Rrmuf
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

Archee72 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:38 pm
NZChris wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:18 pm Congratulations Archee.

I've used several different citrus, including mandarin from from our own tree, and mandarin is very good, and like you, my only tailsy gin was my fault. It sounds like you are well on the way on your gin journey. :thumbup:
Thanks Chris, had a bit of trouble sourcing juniper berries locally for my latest batch so half the amount in my current maceration, will share how it comes out. :thumbup:
Archee, you might try Scoop Wholefoods. We have a shop in Bondi. I get my juniper berries from there. A few bucks worth is enough for a 7.0L maceration. I believe they're in Queensland so if there's one near you...

And in passing, I'm catching up on this thread so a few random points:

1. I'm using Sydney tap water to dilute the gin. I tried some Coles Spring Water a couple of runs ago and I'll be honest - I can't tell the difference.

2. My citrus bill is up to about 18g per litre - I've tried a variety of oranges, grapefruit, tangelos, mandarins and lemons (no pith). And my juniper is up to around 15g.

3. The last run (version VIII) I threw in a julliened Thai lime leaf and 4 cardomon pods - but I used the green ones as opposed to the black. Sitting in a demijohn for another two weeks before sampling.

4. I take the first 10 ml then have just started to take the next 10 in another jar to test for louching. Maybe the amount of citrus I'm using carries more oil over. I spend enough time making crystal clear ice so I get paranoid about getting a cloudy gin.

5. I collect about 420ml per litre (I macerate 7.0L and collect 3.0L). That gives me 5.0L plus of very good gin.

6. I've been saving a bottle of each version from version 2 onwards (going back about 8 months) so maybe this weekend I'll do a sample of each to see how a few months affects the flavours.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Wozza wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:19 pm

I've used several different citrus, including mandarin from from our own tree, and mandarin is very good, and like you, my only tailsy gin was my fault. It sounds like you are well on the way on your gin journey. :thumbup:
Thanks Chris, had a bit of trouble sourcing juniper berries locally for my latest batch so half the amount in my current maceration, will share how it comes out. :thumbup:
6. I've been saving a bottle of each version from version 2 onwards (going back about 8 months) so maybe this weekend I'll do a sample of each to see how a few months affects the flavours.
What time and where? :D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Archee, you might try Scoop Wholefoods. We have a shop in Bondi. I get my juniper berries from there. A few bucks worth is enough for a 7.0L maceration. I believe they're in Queensland so if there's one near you...

And in passing, I'm catching up on this thread so a few random points:

1. I'm using Sydney tap water to dilute the gin. I tried some Coles Spring Water a couple of runs ago and I'll be honest - I can't tell the difference.

2. My citrus bill is up to about 18g per litre - I've tried a variety of oranges, grapefruit, tangelos, mandarins and lemons (no pith). And my juniper is up to around 15g.

3. The last run (version VIII) I threw in a julliened Thai lime leaf and 4 cardomon pods - but I used the green ones as opposed to the black. Sitting in a demijohn for another two weeks before sampling.

4. I take the first 10 ml then have just started to take the next 10 in another jar to test for louching. Maybe the amount of citrus I'm using carries more oil over. I spend enough time making crystal clear ice so I get paranoid about getting a cloudy gin.

5. I collect about 420ml per litre (I macerate 7.0L and collect 3.0L). That gives me 5.0L plus of very good gin.

Cheers mate, I ended up ordering some online so am flush at the moment :thumbup:
I am running a bit low on produce and have none macerating :thumbdown:
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:34 am

What time and where? :D
We should sort that out, CB. Pm me and we'll arrange something.
FizzRolyat
Novice

Post by FizzRolyat »

For the Orstralians on this thread looking for Juniper berries and other herbs, there is an Italian Grocer near me who stocks the 'Euro Spices' range (https://eurospices.com.au/our-range.html), which includes Juniper Berries (30g for $5 AUD). If you can locate someone stocking them, you will have a ready supply.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

FizzRolyat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 am For the Orstralians on this thread looking for Juniper berries and other herbs, there is an Italian Grocer near me who stocks the 'Euro Spices' range (https://eurospices.com.au/our-range.html), which includes Juniper Berries (30g for $5 AUD). If you can locate someone stocking them, you will have a ready supply.
Or buy them by the 500g bag for $20 from a Melbourne-based supplier whose name contains the word 'keg'. Though I notice they're currently out of stock until May.

MC
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Or on ebay from a Brisbane based seller called Jenkins something. 400g for $25 including postage.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

I got some spanish junipers just online, ordered a kilo, cheap.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

OK guys . If you got some links to some good stuff , show it .FFS. The code red stuff is hurting my head .
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I guess Australia is like NZ: No indigenous junipers growing?
-- Rrmuf
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rrmuf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:05 am I guess Australia is like NZ: No indigenous junipers growing?
We have a plant sometimes called Native Juniper. Boobyalla.
Used to have a hedge of it when I was a kid but I can't remember the aroma.
I have an idea it was a strong aroma.
Grows naturally (according to the web) on sand dunes.
Might be able to obtain it.
No idea how good it would be.

Geoff
The Baker
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Boobyalla is not a juniper, it is a plant in the genus Myoporum. There are no plants in the juniper genus (Juniperus) in Australia.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A boobyalla booboo then?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

MartinCash wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:06 pm Boobyalla is not a juniper, it is a plant in the genus Myoporum. There are no plants in the juniper genus (Juniperus) in Australia.
Yep.

Geoff
The Baker
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

That’s too bad. They grow like weeds in the meadows here. I picked about a Kg last October and working through that....I will probably need to pick more than that next Fall.
-- Rrmuf
pickednick
Novice

Post by pickednick »

Can you help me about this question, thanks.

I finished distilling 1 L macerated mixture. I have now 0.4 L one week old spirit. Question is should I rest it at disttiled abv which is 67 abv in my setup or dilute it to 40 abv for resting?

Also I did make another 2 x 1 L mixture by adding another botanicals to this recipe. Only difference is added botanicals, rest is same.I 'll share results after 5 weeks.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

pickednick wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am Can you help me about this question, thanks.

I finished distilling 1 L macerated mixture. I have now 0.4 L one week old spirit. Question is should I rest it at disttiled abv which is 67 abv in my setup or dilute it to 40 abv for resting?

Also I did make another 2 x 1 L mixture by adding another botanicals to this recipe. Only difference is added botanicals, rest is same.I 'll share results after 5 weeks.
Dilute to 45%. Good luck!
-- Rrmuf
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Evreyone,

I would like to make OEG with dry tangerine peel, if I were to use this instead of tangerine what would be the proportions, I checked Zymurgy bobs formula but it looks way lower compared to the fresh tangerine peel. what do you think ?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

artooks wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:18 am Hi Evreyone,

I would like to make OEG with dry tangerine peel, if I were to use this instead of tangerine what would be the proportions, I checked Zymurgy bobs formula but it looks way lower compared to the fresh tangerine peel. what do you think ?
Not sure. While we can easily get junipers here, our groceries are devoid of tangerines. So I have used orange peel (with pith completely removed) with excellent results.... it’s just more work. So, I guess I would say there is room for variation. I’ve wondered similarly about mandarins and clementines, which we can get here.
-- Rrmuf
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Rrmuf wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:31 am
artooks wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:18 am Hi Evreyone,

Not sure. While we can easily get junipers here, our groceries are devoid of tangerines. So I have used orange peel (with pith completely removed) with excellent results.... it’s just more work. So, I guess I would say there is room for variation. I’ve wondered similarly about mandarins and clementines, which we can get here.
I use mandarins as tangerines are only available at certrain times of the year.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

You want the citrus oils. I think any fresh peel (orange, tangerine, mandarin) would be better than dried.