Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Tummydoc »

Agree Chris, no need to leave open
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:35 pm
artooks wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:42 pm Also you need to keep the spirit as a whole during this period and close the lid with a coffee filter or cheese cloth to make aeration possible, do not close the vessel 100% and wait. During this phase the water and alcohol starts to bond together, so there is some kind of reaction due to that.
Really????

I don't recall Odin recommending that anywhere in this thread. It's a great trick for neutral, but not something I would do to my gins. I go to a lot of trouble and expense to put flavor into my gins, so I put a cork in the bottle so that they can't bugger off out the shed door. A two thirds full bottle has enough O2 in the headspace, plus you add more every time you pour a drink.
Hi, I have read this in one of the Odin’s thread, I cannot remember under which thread it was but I will try to find it.
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:35 pm
artooks wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:42 pm Also you need to keep the spirit as a whole during this period and close the lid with a coffee filter or cheese cloth to make aeration possible, do not close the vessel 100% and wait. During this phase the water and alcohol starts to bond together, so there is some kind of reaction due to that.
Really????

I don't recall Odin recommending that anywhere in this thread. It's a great trick for neutral, but not something I would do to my gins. I go to a lot of trouble and expense to put flavor into my gins, so I put a cork in the bottle so that they can't bugger off out the shed door. A two thirds full bottle has enough O2 in the headspace, plus you add more every time you pour a drink.
Trick is to sample more often then
:D
Vurumai
Novice

Post by Vurumai »

artooks wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:42 pm
Vurumai wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:46 pm Macerated 3.5L with the standard recipe and produced 3 bottles of 750ml at 40% of good smelling spirits. Collected down to 20% but it got real musty so I decided to toss it.

Read somewhere that the flavors get better over time. That the reason it has to rest for a month?

Also, I like a herbaceous and almost piney gin. Anything else I can add to enhance that other than more juniper?

Well I tried many times 2 weeks is probably %80 ok, but again, waiting is the hardest part :)
Also you need to keep the spirit as a whole during this period and close the lid with a coffee filter or cheese cloth to make aeration possible, do not close the vessel 100% and wait. During this phase the water and alcohol starts to bond together, so there is some kind of reaction due to that.
Well shoot. It is already bottled. Guess I could put them in a large container and let them mellow. Thanks for the tip!
mxdev
Novice

Post by mxdev »

I've done two runs of OEG now, first one was 4L, and second one was 10L of neutral. No tangerines in the supermarket, so substituted with clementines instead. Macerated for a week both times, then strained product and distilled.

First run I followed instructions exactly, but found the gin to be a bit too citrusy, but was still excellent. Nobody else complained. Although the "neutral" at the time was probably closer to rum than a vodka given my still, it had a sweet flavour and collection was at 75-85% I think.

Second run I used the same amount of clementine skin as the 4L run in 10L, but boosted the juniper a bit. It's just finishing the 4 week settling period, and it's still a bit forward on the cirtrus, but not as much as the first run. The neutral I used was much cleaner and the entire run hit azeo (thanks to Stillerboy walking me through some changes privately)

Tried aging 0.5L in heavy char cherry and 0.5L in heavy char oak to see what characteristics it adds, but I think the botanicals are overpowering the wood flavour. I can notice differences, but I just can't quite pick out what it is, definitely isn't any worse though, and added some nice colouring.

For a next go, I think I'm thinking either trying lemon+lime skins instead, or trying to add some other spices that I think would be nice in the gin.
psf
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by psf »

Macerated the recipe as written for 24+ hours. Removed the peels and ran 6L in my amebic pot still. Followed the cuts as prescribed. Got 2.4L at 77%. Cut to 45%. Wife likes it. It'll last her awhile so I can concentrate on perfecting my corn recipe. Thank you.
You could write a book on the stuff I don’t know
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I tried this and I'm really impressed. I like it a lot. The citrus flavor is really nice. I only made one quart and ended up with one bottle. I'll have to make 4 times the amount next time.

Why do we only collect 75% of the original alcohol? Are there nasties in it?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:05 pm Why do we only collect 75% of the original alcohol? Are there nasties in it?
No nasties that weren't present in the original spirit. Collect them and see for yourself if you'd want to blend them back in.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:05 pm I tried this and I'm really impressed. I like it a lot. The citrus flavor is really nice. I only made one quart and ended up with one bottle. I'll have to make 4 times the amount next time.

Why do we only collect 75% of the original alcohol? Are there nasties in it?
i did a 3litre run the other day (not OEG), collected 1200ml and then 6 x 25ml samples.
the first 3 went in the collection, then it turned 'woody', and the last 3 got thrown.
it depends on your botanicals as well.
i always pay attention when it gets near the 1litre/400ml mark, it can change early as well, probably unlikely with OEG
DaveK
Novice

Post by DaveK »

OK, a dumb question here with regard to masceration... For those of us with heating elements inside the boiler, the recommended method is 2 weeks masceration, filter, then distill. For those with heating external to the boiler, the alternate method is 1/2 to 1 day of masceration, then distill with flavoring botanicals remaining in the boiler.

But has anybody tried a short period of hot masceration? Say an hour at 150F, followed by filtration and then final distillation?

Any thoughts on this "accelerated" masceration approach?
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

DaveK wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:57 pm But has anybody tried a short period of hot masceration? Say an hour at 150F, followed by filtration and then final distillation?

Any thoughts on this "accelerated" masceration approach?
I've heard folks talk about hot macerations leading to a 'cooked' flavor but I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing a side-by-side.

You're only a couple hours and a few bucks worth of botanicals away from finding out, I say give it a try and report back!
DaveK
Novice

Post by DaveK »

Alas! When you need 3 liters of wash just to cover the heating element, it's a bit more to risk than when you have a smaller boiler. Went the "recommended" route, using 0.5 grams of orange peel (no white), 3 g coriander, and 12 g juniper berries per liter of 43%. Got impatient at 10 days and ran it.

Came out pretty darned good, with yield being very much in line with Odin's recipe. 2 weeks of "rest" have mellowed it even more, and I'm a happy camper.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

DaveK - FWIW NZChris stated in this thread somewhere that he macerates in the boiler for as long as it takes to rig up his column. I believe he said as little as 45 minutes. Tasted the botanicals after and there was no flavor in them, so they gave up all they had. Sounds like yours turned out, but food for thought.
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Wyododge wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:03 pm DaveK - FWIW NZChris stated in this thread somewhere that he macerates in the boiler for as long as it takes to rig up his column. I believe he said as little as 45 minutes. Tasted the botanicals after and there was no flavor in them, so they gave up all they had. Sounds like yours turned out, but food for thought.
i agree, i think the original post stated a long maceration, but subsequent posts have proved that unnecessary.
personally i usually just macerate overnight, with the botanicals crushed in 43%.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

The long maceration is necessary if you distill "off the grain". If you leave the botanicals in the boiler then Odin was recommending 24h. NZChris said 45 mins was enough. It may depend on how hard you heat up your wash.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Ditto: I find overnight to 24hrs is more than sufficient when distilling with botanicals in the boiler.
-- Rrmuf
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:08 am Ditto: I find overnight to 24hrs is more than sufficient when distilling with botanicals in the boiler.
I totally agree that is the best way.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

artooks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:34 pm
Rrmuf wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:08 am Ditto: I find overnight to 24hrs is more than sufficient when distilling with botanicals in the boiler.
I totally agree that is the best way.
:thumbup: +1
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am going to macerate 24 hours on my next gin run and then when I move it to the boiler I am going to put the botanicals from the masceration into a gin basket and see what difference that makes. My son got me a gin basket and I feel I should at least try it out.
DaveK
Novice

Post by DaveK »

Well, what I've got to say at this point is that this is DAMN!! good gin!

I may be able to improve it, but even if I can't, I'm not likely to buy it from the local shop.
SteveH1960
Novice

Post by SteveH1960 »

Bushman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:05 pm I am going to macerate 24 hours on my next gin run and then when I move it to the boiler I am going to put the botanicals from the masceration into a gin basket and see what difference that makes. My son got me a gin basket and I feel I should at least try it out.
It will be interesting to read your results. I was thinking of the same thing and am currently in the process of modifying my small gin still to incorporate a botanical basket. I usually put all the botanicals except for any peel in the pot. Was thinking of adding the peel to the basket to see if any extra citrus comes across. Or all the botanicals as you are trying.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I have tried overnight and then put everything in the boiler and its not bad but I liked the extra flavor I get from 2 weeks soaking.

Both are great and for a distillery I can see adjusting the amounts for overnight soak and then distill would be perfect. Just need to change the balance of juniper to other compounds. I found the juniper less intense and also less solid oil from the juniper on the initial small cut when only soaking over night.

Vapor infusion is totally different and can be nice also just more botanicals needed

B
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

bitter wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:36 am I have tried overnight and then put everything in the boiler and its not bad but I liked the extra flavor I get from 2 weeks soaking.
At what proof? I've read overnight at 60% or longer at lower. It will also depend how much you break up your ingredients. I tend to go pretty small, like coarse ground pepper.

I have one gin that sat for 3 days, another only 1 day. Different recipes and I just distilled the 1 day version. Haven't even diluted it yet but by nose it seems to have plenty of the right stuff. Will report back after blending and a little rest.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:03 am
bitter wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:36 am I have tried overnight and then put everything in the boiler and its not bad but I liked the extra flavor I get from 2 weeks soaking.
At what proof? I've read overnight at 60% or longer at lower. It will also depend how much you break up your ingredients. I tend to go pretty small, like coarse ground pepper.

I have one gin that sat for 3 days, another only 1 day. Different recipes and I just distilled the 1 day version. Haven't even diluted it yet but by nose it seems to have plenty of the right stuff. Will report back after blending and a little rest.
It was some time ago but I payed around a bunch and don't have exact notes. I think I tried 95% 65% 50% down to 43% I found for tangerine 46% was the nicest and brightest for me. Above that I found the character changed for the negative to me. So I do 45to 46% and now leave the time normally at least a week but its better at 2 weeks soaking. Overnight I was less a fan of it was not bad just liked the other better personal preference.

B
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

After one or two disasters I have returned to Odin's original basic recipe but using dried Lemon Peel at between 0.5 and 1g per liter. But .....

I macerate in 43% ABV neutral as suggested but for exactly 24 hours. Then I put the whole lot into the still, botanicals and all and run as per Odin's recipe.

I run real slow, drip drip, squirt. I find little to no difference between a 2 week maceration and removing the botanicals and 24 hour maceration and keeping the botanicals in. My best Gin has been with the 25 hours maceration bit that could also be a function of me improving in my craft.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

So, after reading this entire thread, and parts of it several times, we finally did it.
Did 2 versions today.

V1 - as per recipe with modification that we only macerated for 18 hours, then put into boiler and added the peel of a small mandarin
- SWAMBO - fussy with Gin - loves it even before ageing!
- Son - hyper sensitive nose - says it is better than store bought - again - before ageing it at all
- Me (not a gin drinker at all) - sweet, pronounced citrus smell

V2 - this one was a bit fugged up - we did the maceration many moons ago, but as we didn't have a .01gm scale, guessed at the berries and coriander. Then shit got in the way (like 450L of mash for whiskey) Finally got around to running it. As it was in maceration for around 6 months, no berries and seeds into the boiler. But, we added 5 peel slices of a LEMON into the boiler
- SWAMBO - "it's not k@k" (RSA slang for "It's not shit")
- Son - a bit too heavy on the lemon, but it's OK
- Me (Still not a gin drinker) - sweet and less pronounced citrus.

June 16th (a holiday here) is penciled in for the official taste test.

ODIN - Fantastic and easy recipe! Family loves it!
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Lynk1973
Novice

Post by Lynk1973 »

Will be doing 2 x 4litre runs @ 43% neutral spirit in my air still - will update on how it comes out. We have a gin tasting session (with my various vapour infused gins) at the school I work for on the 10th on June (staff only, not the children). Definately want to include this into the mix, as I see everyone raving about it. It will be labelled as OEG.
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

OEG recipe says a whole tangerine peel, others i have seen say strips of x cm long peel.
these measures don't help me
my first OEG had too much citrus taste, 4th had too little. My notes are not good enough to show exact peel sizes.
What i want is peel weight. What weight of peel per 1l do people recommend? Happy to experiment once i have a ball park
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You have to keep good notes yourself, or you'll never develop your own gin using your locally available ingredients.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Royalwulf wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 pm OEG recipe says a whole tangerine peel, others i have seen say strips of x cm long peel.
these measures don't help me
my first OEG had too much citrus taste, 4th had too little. My notes are not good enough to show exact peel sizes.
What i want is peel weight. What weight of peel per 1l do people recommend? Happy to experiment once i have a ball park
Get a little scale and measure the weight then! I weigh all my botanicals and batch volumes and calibrate from batch to batch.... but it requires good notes per Chris's comment here.
-- Rrmuf