Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Post by rad14701 »

Why would your run an all grain run so slowly...??? Three drips per second is how you run a reflux column for neutral spirits, not pot stilling for flavor... You want a broken to twisted stream...
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

rad14701 wrote:Why would your run an all grain run so slowly...??? Three drips per second is how you run a reflux column for neutral spirits, not pot stilling for flavor... You want a broken to twisted stream...
He didn't say how big the drips were!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Dan P. wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Why would your run an all grain run so slowly...??? Three drips per second is how you run a reflux column for neutral spirits, not pot stilling for flavor... You want a broken to twisted stream...
He didn't say how big the drips were!
:lolno:
Notta Number
Novice

Post by Notta Number »

The answer is probably complicated, but would start with...I'm a newbie, I was scared of having another puke, I wanted to separate the fractions as well as I could...I guess I thought I was supposed to. But you're saying no, that I want a faster stream eh? How would that affect flavor? Alcohol content? Would I then be treating that as a stripper run, and then gather up enough to do a slower spirit run?
...Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty
or give me death!" – Patrick Henry
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Yes fast strips and slower spirit runs. I do 8 min/qt strips and 18 min/qt spirit
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Notta Number
Novice

Post by Notta Number »

Forgive me if I say something stupid here but...my intention was to try this first batch nice and slow to get my feet wet and get a baseline. I figured that I could hopefully get sufficient alcohol percentage to just do a single run, rather than do strip/spirit runs. If it came back under 40% I would have done a spirit run. I figure that my end product after cuts (my keep) was 40%. Does this just sound crazy for Jimbo's AG? Is it better flavor to do the fast strippers and slow spirits? Or is it done because you normally can't get to 40% or better?
...Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

No its because whiskeys dont taste right with a single run. But if you like it thats all that matters. I do 2 on bourbon and single malt and 3 on a 5 grain thing I do. 1or 2 on apple brandys.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Notta Number wrote:
The answer is probably complicated, but would start with...I'm a newbie, I was scared of having another puke, I wanted to separate the fractions as well as I could...I guess I thought I was supposed to. But you're saying no, that I want a faster stream eh? How would that affect flavor? Alcohol content? Would I then be treating that as a stripper run, and then gather up enough to do a slower spirit run?
Running too slow strips flavor, which is not what you want with flavored spirits... Drips are for reflux columns which are intended to strip flavor, leaving fairly neutral spirits (vodka)...
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

I have 70 lbs of barley on the way (although 30 lbs of that is for beer), including 30 lbs of heavy peated malt. Looking forward to get some single malts going. I'm probably going to use White Labs Super High Gravity ale yeast because it seems to attenuate better than any other ale yeast. Once I get a consistent process I might experiment with other yeasts.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The FG (attenuation) has more to do with mash temp than yeast. If you start at 146-148 and finish above 140 after 90 minutes many yeasts will take it to or very close to 1.000. I use US-05 with great results all around. 40lbs malt + 30 lbs smoked will make a fine drop.
Notta Number
Novice

Post by Notta Number »

Faster, gotcha. Well steep learning curve indeed! That's ok, I'll get there.
:crazy:
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

Jimbo wrote:40lbs malt + 30 lbs smoked will make a fine drop.
My still is only 20 L, so I'd be looking at 5 spirit runs if I fermented all that at once. About half of the un-peated malt is for beer, and I will not be mixing the peated and un-peated malt for my whiskey. So far I've only done two spirit runs on a sugar wash, so I want to do a spirit run on some less expensive malt before I do one with peated malt, and I also want to get another beer going. I plan to mash 20 lbs of non-peated malt in 10 gallons of water at 147 degrees for 60 minutes, pull 7.5 gallons for my beer, add 2.5 gallons of boiling water to step mash at 155 for 20 minutes, then add 2.5 gallons of boiling water to sparge out since I don't have a wort chiller. Once I cool the wort, I plan to dump it back in my mash tun and ferment on the grain. I figure that should give me 7 gallons at 6% once I pull it off the grain so I can do two stripping runs and end up with close to 2 gallons of low wines in the 20% range. I've done the step mash/sparge thing before to make multiple beers and actually ended up with over 90% efficiency, so I think I can get 95% if I ferment on the grain. It's also a good way to get a beer and a wash for a whiskey going at the same time.

After that I'll probably do a straight up mash in my kettle with 5 gallons of water and 10 lbs of peated malt. If I get a wort chiller I'll mash the final 20 lbs of peated malt in my mash tun, do a step mash for maximum efficiency, and end up with enough wash to do 3 stripping runs. The final 20 lbs of un-peated malt is for an imperial stout, so that could make for a very interesting whiskey.
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

Saturday night a drunk friend of mine decided to rip open one of my 10 pound bags of peated malt and start snacking on it so I decided to take the remaining 9.9 pounds, add .1 pounds of acidulated malt to it and get a wash started. I heated 5 gallons of water to 155 degrees, added 2 tsp of gypsum, and 10 pounds of malt, mashing at 148 degrees for 60 minutes in my kettle using a mesh bag. After 60 minutes the temperature was down to 145, so I added 1 gallon of boiling water to bring the temperature up to 150, then heated it up to 155 and did a 20 minute step mash before cooling to 85 and pitching 1/4 of bakers yeast. SG was 1.055. I'll probably start clearing it Wednesday night.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Nice. Sounds like you got the process wired. Drunk malt eating friends be Damned
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

So far so good. I was a little worried about infection since I'm fermenting on the grain and I didn't boil the wort, but I think it's fine since it doesn't taste sour. It smelled funky, but I'm fermenting heavy peated malt with bakers yeast. Gravity was down to 1.002 so I racked it out into my still and put it in the fridge to crash it. I'll probably rack back into the kettle in a few days and see how clear it is.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Jim...never heard you comment on the sugar head made off this single malt. Whats it taste like? I'll be trying it anyway so I guess is doesn't matter :). Just curious if malt carries as much flavor into the sugar head as corn does....I'm guessing less.

I made mine with malted barley instead of the malted wheat....mainly because that is what I accidentally ordered. Also had 2 lbs of smoked peat after reading your smokeyhead....but decided to throw it in here and get closer to a traditional scotch.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The gumballhead is nice. A little thin compared to the bourbon, kinda like jack after they charcoal filter the bejesus out of it. I prefer the smokyhead. Smoked malt really improves the gumballhead into a nest sipper. But the ghead makes a great jack and coke clone, whiskey sours etc
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

oops...I always considered gumballhead made from your wheated bourbon.....I'm talking about sugarhead made off the spent grains from this recipe
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Oh I don't that it matters much. A sugarhead is a sugarhead. Lol. Dont shoot me. All sugarheads, IMO, have a common flavor denominator that overrides the grains. Thats why I like the smoked malt in there. It masks that sugar bite.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

After reading a bunch...I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by sugar bite....but I can live with it (gotta drink something with the all grain having to age 4 months :)) and I'm comparing it to my UJSSM not an all grain....lol. Still really enjoy sipping on it....so mouth is watering at tasting the bourbon and this single malt.

Good to know this one will bring a little grain flavor over too (as a sugarhead). I may order a little extra peated malt on the next order and try the smokeyhead.
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

I finally got around to doing my stripping run. Ended up with 1.5 gallons at 22%.
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

Did the spirit run tonight. My friend (the one who was eating my peated barley) and I had a shot each watered down to 45%. I liked it better than Wasmund's, I'm looking forward to see how it will taste after I age it. I have 750 ml at 62% on 25g of dark toast oak chips and 1.5 L of 32% feints that I'll use at some point in the future.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Jimbo wrote:No its because whiskeys dont taste right with a single run. But if you like it thats all that matters. I do 2 on bourbon and single malt and 3 on a 5 grain thing I do. 1or 2 on apple brandys.
VERY interesting 3 cuts on 5 grain. Do explain your cuts please.

hanon wrote:Did the spirit run tonight. My friend (the one who was eating my peated barley) and I had a shot each watered down to 45%. I liked it better than Wasmund's, I'm looking forward to see how it will taste after I age it. I have 750 ml at 62% on 25g of dark toast oak chips and 1.5 L of 32% feints that I'll use at some point in the future.
Which Wasmund's are you comparing with? I am sure that you made better cuts than Wasmunds and don't hesitate to say I bet yours is its at least 5x-10x better if you followed this receipe.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Its just fores cuts for the first 2 runs then regular cuts on the 3rd. 3 runs cleans it up nice, but still lots of flavor from the diverse groceries in there.

Hanon, sounds good but 4 months before it really tastes good and like it should.
hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon »

I'm comparing to the un-aged Wasmund's since at this point my whisky is un-aged. The un-aged Wasmund's was much sweeter than I thought it would be, almost as sweet as Georgia Moon. My un-aged peated whisky isn't very sweet, it's just a little funky and not well defined yet. I put a ton of oaks chips in a bottle of un-aged Wasmund's once. It improved it, but I still didn't like it that much. I also didn't like Lost Spirits Leviathan III very much and thought it tasted very similar to the my "aged" Wasmund's. My take is that the funky Canadian peat they used must give a similar flavor to the Wasmund's malt which is smoked with apple and cherry wood. I like mine un-aged better than either of those, and I imagine it should be at least as good as a Bowmore once it's aged, although I'm hoping more for a Port Charlotte (since I did use the same exact malt they use) or even a Lagavulin (I can always wish). I'm going to do the same exact recipe again, but next time with White Labs High Gravity Ale yeast instead of bakers yeast. I imagine it will be a little better.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Enzymes seem to be hot right now and sound like a no brainer. Would you consider doing this with enzymes?
cisco_rider
Novice

Post by cisco_rider »

Here is the start to my new run two separate single malts 36 gallons total German malt & Briess pale malt going to run them both twice follow up with more pictures as i go Thanks jimbo for the help as always.
Attachments
36 gallons two different single malt runs
36 gallons two different single malt runs
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

halfbaked wrote:Enzymes seem to be hot right now and sound like a no brainer. Would you consider doing this with enzymes?
Yup done it. Turns out great. 50 lbs corn, 25 lbs red wheat milled. 28 gal water, 30ml lactic acid. 10 tsp gypsum. Pour the boiling water over the grain add high temp enzyme. Stir ever 30min for 3 hours. Wrapped. Drop temp to 150 add GlucoAmylase. Mash another hour. Drop to 70 and pitch yeast. Makes about 15 fifths after cuts
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am talking about the single malt (and low temp enzymes) receipe.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Woops, this is the single malt recipe huh. Read it too quick on my phone while sitting on the pot. No you dont need enzymes in a single malt. They are loaded with enzymes already since its malt. That response belongs in my bourbon recipe...