Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Post by dieselduo »

Sparging with hot water seems easier with less mess and cleanup to me
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I think I'm going to just sparge it all 10 pounds on 4 gallon sparge with 2 until I reached liquid maximum of fermenter then if sg is off remove some fluid and squeeze grain before throwing it out and add that fluid. I done it my way once or twice before with good results
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20200929_191356.jpg
Ready for my next ag single malt run
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

20201001_120118.jpg
Its the beginning of day 6 of my ferment. I took a peek inside, I have not touched this at all since pitching the yeast. What is growing on my grain cap here?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

You have yourself a lacto infection growing there! Not to worry, very common with whiskeys. Opinions range from "doesn't make a difference in final product" to "Gives final product a better taste" haha! Sometimes comes in on the grain even if you have sterilized all of your equipment. Probably happens to my whiskey fermentations 1 in 6 or 7 times.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

:thumbup:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice cap there deplorable
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thanks. I've been very careful with this leap as I want it to really be a fine whiskey. I took great care in cleaning everything prior to beginning. Fermenter, mortar mixer, everything that would come into contact with the mash got cleaned with Star-San. I have a pretty high degree of confidence that the infection came in with the grain. But Im new and dont know what I dont know.
If it did come in on the grain, this will likely carry over in the next two ferments from the same bags.
I suspect the ferment is almost finished. It's quiet, and the cap is pulling away from the sides. The temp has been dropping about 2° a day. Hopefully it will be ready to run this weekend.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

It will be tomorrow punch the cap in the morning go to work come back check sg fg reading. It came on the grain if you have starsan nothing wrong with it I had it twice in my couple years malt mashing is uber easy just stay away from corn unless you have the testicular fortitude for it I like mashing my grains all separately stripping them separately then blending them in the spirit run
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

FWIW I've never punched down the cap on whisky ferments. I guess it's more a winemakers' thing.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Corsaire wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:18 am FWIW I've never punched down the cap on whisky ferments. I guess it's more a winemakers' thing.
Yeah, I did a search and thats the consensus. It's slowly sinking on its own. The top of the cap is soggy now and about 90% covered by that pinkish-orange color. I'll let it do its thing. You can't rush good whiskey.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

True I learn something new every day on here
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201003_085227.jpg
And it begins...
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:31 am
Corsaire wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:18 am FWIW I've never punched down the cap on whisky ferments. I guess it's more a winemakers' thing.
Yeah, I did a search and thats the consensus. It's slowly sinking on its own. The top of the cap is soggy now and about 90% covered by that pinkish-orange color. I'll let it do its thing. You can't rush good whiskey.
Hows your mash doing
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201003_093806.jpg
Holding mash temperatures
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:39 am
Deplorable wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:31 am
Hows your mash doing
The cap is almost fully submerged and the current gravity is 1.010 tem is 67.3°f and bubbling steady through the cap. Had a taste this morning, interesting flavors of what reminded me of mellon or gourd blossoms?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I take the wine approach and punch down often for best extraction. What would the benefit be of not punching down?

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice how many packets of us05 you use that's what I'm gonna put on mine I'm doing this in a 55 gallon barrel and I have two 30s one for pc cooler and one for ferment this is my first time breaking in the 55 I'm doing it on grain too.do you leave your lid loose? Do you airlock? I dont want to cut this lid up if I dont have to
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:03 am Nice how many packets of us05 you use that's what I'm gonna put on mine I'm doing this in a 55 gallon barrel and I have two 30s one for pc cooler and one for ferment this is my first time breaking in the 55 I'm doing it on grain too.do you leave your lid loose? Do you airlock? I dont want to cut this lid up if I dont have to
This is a 23 gallon mash. Following Jimbos to the letter. I used 4 packs of us05 for my mash. Figure on a packet for every 5-7 gallons.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

No air lock just set the lid on. (Can't air-lock a Brute anyway) I actually had a sheet over the top rather than the lid for a while because the temp was getting towards the high end of the range due to some unexpected nice weather.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok well thanks I'm doing it right too exactly what jimbo wrote. Not looking forward to the grain squeeze but whatever. So if you're at 1010 you're almost done with it keep us informed on what happens with it
Last edited by Durhommer on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Hell, you got a mop wringer. I'll be hand squeezin. :lol:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Which reminds me my paint strainer bags are kinda old
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You got a week to get more.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

My wife works at the orange store I'll have her bring some home
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well that's convenient.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Sometimes it's ok. I'm just hoping that I'll get good results from this like I did when I strained the grain before fermenting
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 am No air lock just set the lid on. (Can't air-lock a Brute anyway) I actually had a sheet over the top rather than the lid for a while because the temp was getting towards the high end of the range due to some unexpected nice weather.
Did you pitch your yeast wait and stir it in?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Hydrated it in about two quarts of wort, and poured it in.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I should have done it that way I just did what the package said