Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

youraussiemate
Novice

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by youraussiemate »

nah no airlock, for some reason the foaming has started up and its going crazy again.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

youraussiemate wrote:nah no airlock, for some reason the foaming has started up and its going crazy again.
Yeast like a consistent temperature as opposed to fluctuations... If you can keep the temperature stable the yeast colony will be less stressed and will do their job more efficiently...
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

youraussiemate wrote:my wash isnt bubbling, should it be?
it was bubbling and foaming on the first night i put it in then overnight the temperature dropped to 18 degrees celcious and im wondering if this might have caused it? its back up to 28 degrees after changing the heating element and has been sitting at that for a day and a half.
there is some activity going on in the mash with water swirling around and stuff like that
My BW washes will sometimes appear to be dormant (stuck) if I just look at the top, but if you get a sterile stirrer and give a bit of a slush around you will notice little CO2 bubbles come to the surface. Use your hydrometer to do SG readings and this will tell you if it's going or not. So far I have found that nearly all of my washes drop about 10 gravity points per day if I hold them at around 24o C. So if I start at 1090 it will take 10 days to get down to 990 give or take a day or so. I've run a couple at 7 days which probably could have gone longer but it is also about available time, although I believe it is not that good to run unfermented sugars through your boiler.
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

So, I have 16 gallons of this wonderful smelling stuff to start running tomorrow, Will split it up in more or less equal batches and run about 8 gallon stripping runs on my rig.
Question, what to do with the backset?
Lees I got, I'll add more sugar and some nutrients and run again.
Yes I did a search, didn't see much that applied, couple comments and so forth.
Seems a shame to toss em, should be some good stuff in there.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Your trying to make a neutral? Correct?
Backset would add flavors. That's what your not trying for with this recipe. If your wanting a flavored product that's when you use backset.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

Yes actually looking for a very clean Neutral to use as a base for fruit brandies. Thats why thr BW batch.
Just wondering what to do with the backset after the stripping run, any good suggestions? Other stuff to make?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nothing other then throwing it in the drain.

And a good base for fruit brandy would be a fruit wash? You want to make a brandy. Make a brandy.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

Thanks P. The basic plan is make a good, clean neutral. Add in some fruit, berries, peaches, apricots to the neutral and see what turns up. Basically flavored vodka I recon.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Make sure you check out the panty dropper thread. A lot of good info on maserating fruit and berries. And don't waste the fruit. Even if you don't want a sweet spirit. Add the sugar to the fruit anyway. Then you can use the syrup for other things. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

Ahhh, Thank You, Hadn't thought of that
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

SIXFOOTER wrote:Lees I got, I'll add more sugar and some nutrients and run again.
This may or may not work very well. Others here have answered my earlier questions on the same by saying that yeast which has been used to produce higher than about 10% wash will be in very poor condition. Not like making beer where yeast can be collected, harvested, cleaned, kept and reused.
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

OK, so I did 2 stripping runs sat and netted some 2.5 gallons of 138 proof or better. Ran pretty fast, steady output from about 176* or so down to 200* and the output started trickling off. I isolated the first 100ml as foreshots both runs. Then collected all the output and cut it to 40% and ran it pretty slow, slow dribble, took 5 or 6 hours and collected 13 pints 178* up to 195* or so.
1 158 proof
2 159
3 160
4 160
5 161
6 160
7 160
8 158
9 158
10 156
11 140
12 114
13 100
So, its pretty clear that number 11 to 13 are in the tails, so that can go in the feints collection.
What say you on the heads? Hearts?
No real color difference other than the last 1 or 2 are just a touch hazy. No real change in smell either on 1 thru 9 or 10.
Had a little taste of #3 cut to 40% when it was running, pretty nice, got a little mouth feel.
Opinions?
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Smell it, you should be able to tell after airing
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
pleasecoverfood
Novice

Post by pleasecoverfood »

MODERATORS PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST
Thanks.
Last edited by pleasecoverfood on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

pleasecoverfood wrote:Hay Tater, I'm from & in the south too. Heart of Dixie.
I went to your info page, it has a link to contact you, (PM) but it won't activate.
I got the ingredients for the BSWR, & almost ready to try it. I am mathematically challenged when it comes to metric conversions (well, most any conversions).
I am using 2 gal fermenters, and have one 5 gal. All I can figure out using the Calcs is that 80 L is about 21 gal and 21 divided by 2 (Gal?) is 10.5. No idea what good that does me if any. Does the LBM on the Calcs stand for Lbs? A cooking site said a pound of sugar was roughly 2.25 cups and that is what I've been using so far (3 Lb for 2 Gal).
I have no idea on how to break down the 3 lemons or the paste. I think the paste (using Hunt's) is 24 OZ for what you are using (3 cups)?
I believe on the yeast (using Flieschmans) that the 225 G is one cup, no idea where to go from there. As far as the light bulb is concerned, Lows in 70's F & Highs in lower to mid 90's, inside where I am making the wash it will be average of 85.
Anything you can tell me that might clear things up for me?
Thanks.
try 25L bucket
5kg sugar
fill with water and mix in thew rest
juice of one large lemon
pinch of epsom salt
200grams ot tomato paste

pitch a cup of yeast from say 35deg C or under
ferment at +-28 deg celcius

walk away and leave alone for two weeks then distill :)
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Prairiepiss wrote:Your trying to make a neutral? Correct?
Backset would add flavors. That's what your not trying for with this recipe. If your wanting a flavored product that's when you use backset.
Wow, after a few cycles you could have that tomato paste flavor to start coming through. Yumm! :sarcasm:
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
pleasecoverfood
Novice

Post by pleasecoverfood »

birdwatcher wrote:Hi Marc83,

Hi Fastill,

I've thought about it, but why bother. I can make a bottle of vodka better than you can buy at the liquor store for minus $2.00. with fresh ingredients.

G
Howdy BW,
Don't know how you did that negative $2 bit? My Fleischmann's 3 x 21g packs are over $2 each (3, about what I calculate to need for a 5 gal wash) as is each 6 oz can of Hunt's paste, not to mention the 5 lb bag of lemons for over $3 I don't EVEN want to get into what the sugar costs! You growing your own? No idea what a gallon, two, or five of water costs me, plus the vinegar, the electricity for A/C & fans, and then there is the hot water, the sponges, the still, the electricity for it, containers, air locks, brushes......... :crazy:
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

pleasecoverfood wrote:
birdwatcher wrote:Hi Marc83,

Hi Fastill,

I've thought about it, but why bother. I can make a bottle of vodka better than you can buy at the liquor store for minus $2.00. with fresh ingredients.

G
Howdy BW,
Don't know how you did that negative $2 bit? My Fleischmann's 3 x 21g packs are over $2 each (3, about what I calculate to need for a 5 gal wash) as is each 6 oz can of Hunt's paste, not to mention the 5 lb bag of lemons for over $3 I don't EVEN want to get into what the sugar costs! You growing your own? No idea what a gallon, two, or five of water costs me, plus the vinegar, the electricity for A/C & fans, and then there is the hot water, the sponges, the still, the electricity for it, containers, air locks, brushes......... :crazy:
i think he means under $2 (like $1.75)
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

pleasecoverfood wrote: Howdy BW,
Is there a Costco within driving distance? I live about an hour from one, but stocking up on toilet paper and diapers makes it worth the drive.
skydivemd
Novice

Post by skydivemd »

For those who are "metrically-challenged" I just made up a batch of BW and wanted to share what I did.

I used two 6.5 gallon plastic bucket primary fermenters (from the homebrew shop). Each was cleaned and sterilized prior to use.
Each holds 5 gallons of BW to allow enough head room for krausen.

Into each bucket:
Place 1.5 gallons of hot (~160 F) tap water.
Add 10 lbs sugar to the water and stir until fully dissolved.
Add 6 oz tomato paste and whisk/stir well.
Add juice of 1 large lemon (no seeds, please).
Add 2.5 tsp Epsom salts.
Mix well.
Top up to 5 gallons with cold tap water.
(I like the buckets because they are usually marked on the outside corresponding to 1-5 gallons volume)
Mix again to ensure a homogeneous mix.

Check your temp to make sure you can pitch your yeast and for hydrometer correction. Record temp and OG - mine was 1.090.

Pitch yeast by simply sprinkling on top of mash. I used 2 oz (~ 5 Tbsp) of Fleischmann's instant dry yeast per bucket.
Purchase yeast either in 4 oz glass jar for "breadmachine use" or, better yet, get it 2 lbs at a time from Sam's or Costco.

I covered and airlocked the buckets. Out-gassing started within 45 minutes.
When I re-checked 5 or 6 hours later there was a good inch or two of krausen and a lot of CO2 being produced.

Will update when activity stops and I have a FG reading to share.

Blue skies,
skydiveMD
jumps out of perfectly good airplanes...

Blue Skies,
skydiveMD
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I would be careful with those tight lids. Birdwatchers can blow them off! Just kidding. It might puke into your air locks. BW works so hard that I place a loose lid on top. There is so much CO2 coming off that oxygen will never get close. Let us know how it finishes. I scuba dive but you will never get me to jump out of a perfectly good plane. The ground is hard.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

skydivemd wrote:Add 2.5 tsp Epsom salts.
That might be a bit much Epsom Salt, but it shouldn't cause any major problems... I like to invert my sugar and have found that boiling in the tomato paste speeds ferment times...

Keep us posted on the progress...
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

For my very first attempt at creating a wash i want to copy BW's recipe to the letter apart from volume size(I'm doing a 20l wash) but I am unable to get hold of tomato paste. Here in the UK, the closest thing I can get is double concentrate tomato puree. I've Googled both products and received conflicting reports on whether the puree is the equivelent to the paste. The tomato puree has no preservetives in it, so I was hoping to use that instead of the tomato paste.

Thanks in advance
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Gaztops wrote:For my very first attempt at creating a wash i want to copy BW's recipe to the letter apart from volume size(I'm doing a 20l wash) but I am unable to get hold of tomato paste. Here in the UK, the closest thing I can get is double concentrate tomato puree. I've Googled both products and received conflicting reports on whether the puree is the equivelent to the paste. The tomato puree has no preservetives in it, so I was hoping to use that instead of the tomato paste.
I use tomato puree more often than tomato paste and haven't noticed any difference in performance... You just want straight puree, just as you do paste, without any additives... The only real difference is the amount of water removed... I have taken to buying large (1 gallon?) cans of puree from Sam's Club... That's about a years supply if it doesn't go bad before being used...
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

rad14701 wrote:
Gaztops wrote:For my very first attempt at creating a wash i want to copy BW's recipe to the letter apart from volume size(I'm doing a 20l wash) but I am unable to get hold of tomato paste. Here in the UK, the closest thing I can get is double concentrate tomato puree. I've Googled both products and received conflicting reports on whether the puree is the equivelent to the paste. The tomato puree has no preservetives in it, so I was hoping to use that instead of the tomato paste.
I use tomato puree more often than tomato paste and haven't noticed any difference in performance... You just want straight puree, just as you do paste, without any additives... The only real difference is the amount of water removed... I have taken to buying large (1 gallon?) cans of puree from Sam's Club... That's about a years supply if it doesn't go bad before being used...

Many thanks for the swift reply. I just need to gather all of my equipment to build a pot still and another read of the safety issues, along with another read of the Novice Distillers and Lounge, then I should be ready to go.

Thanks again.
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.
jwl
Novice

Post by jwl »

I just got done putting together a 60L wash of Birdwatchers recipe. I did everything by the numbers. SG 1.07, ending temp was 33C. All looked good. The only thing was that I put in more Epson Salts than I should of. An hour after 'adding the Yeast I checked the temprature and it was up to 45C. I put wet towels and a fan on it bring the temp. down. It this normal for the temp to spike like that at first? This is my third batch of birdwatchers but I never check the temp. so soon. Anyone got any ideas? I can't think of anything I could have done wrong unless it was the epson salts.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

i have done this reipe twice and can not get it to 70 percent. what am i doing wrong?? was hoping for 90% or better. thanks akrandy
Keep shinning
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

akrandy wrote:i have done this reipe twice and can not get it to 70 percent. what am i doing wrong?? was hoping for 90% or better. thanks akrandy
No matter what you are distilling, percent is result of process and equipment, NOT the recipe.... Unless I misread your question and you are talking about percentage of sugar consumption by the yeast.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

i was talking about the alchoal content.. i was hoping to get 90-95 proof and only got 70 proof was woungering if i was doing somthing wrong? i have a keg still with a milehight reflux 40" tower i use propane to heat it
Keep shinning
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

its not the wash its the still.if you want 90% then you need a good reflux still and run it right.
most likely you need to slow it down. do this with the reflux condenser.its a long proses if you want 90% or higher.
its best to do a stripping run or several then a spirits run.