Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by Prairiepiss » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:21 pm

akrandy wrote:i was talking about the alchoal content.. i was hoping to get 90-95 proof and only got 70 proof was woungering if i was doing somthing wrong? i have a keg still with a milehight reflux 40" tower i use propane to heat it
+1 The wash ain't the problem.

The mile high cm still at 40" should produce 95% with no problem. Sounds like your running it to fast. And or not enough reflux.
How are you running it?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.

akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Ok thanks.
Keep shinning

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm

DRIP,,,,,DRIP,,,,,,DRIP.. yes it will take 10-12--or even 20 hours depending on the size and type of still.3in/75mm columns braking point and can start into a small stream.

OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:25 pm

I get 95 (%) not proof with my MileHi, on the second run, don't really pay to much attention to the first run because I allways run it twice, after a bit of hit and miss. Run er slow and steady you'll get there.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.

akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Right on everybody. Thanks for all your comments AK Randy
Keep shinning

skydivemd
Novice

Post by skydivemd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 am

Time to update -- See initial post on page 50 (phew... Impressive thread for an impressive recipe!).

So things had slowed down awhile ago and I can hazard a guess that there has been no activity in the airlock for the past week. Initial plan had been to run it on Tuesday 8/7 and that should have been enough time for fermentation to cease and some clearing to occur. But, that SOB Murphy's Law got in the way and I was sick as a dog. Needless to say, they are still "clearing" but will hope to have them run next week.

Checked F.G. today and thought my hydrometer was going on a suicide mission - damn thing sunk like a rock. Results: F.G. = 0.990 or better. The meniscus places the gravity below 0.990 but this is below the scale on the hydrometer. I will go with it being 0.985. That will give us a wash of ~ 13.5% . As far as taste, I found a nice, dry, clean product with no off-flavors that should make some excellent neutral.

---------------------------

MR: Indeed, this was a very active (!) ferment and blew a lot of water out of the airlocks. The lids did manage to stay on...just barely.

Rad: I'm quite interested in speeding up the overall time to ferment to such a fine product. Do you invert simply by boiling water, sugar, lemon juice and tomato paste/puree in a large pot for 30 min or so? Or do you invert with a measured amt of citric acid?
I've looked through the thread to see some of your adjustments and have come up with, "The tweaks I am currently testing per gallon (4 liters) are: 1/2 tsp epsom salt (where I got the 2.5 tsp per 5 gallons measurement), 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp Peters 20-20-20." with the caveat that if you use 20-20-20 then you use less or no Epsom Salt. Have you settled on any regular adjustments that you use every time you can share or confirm? Any input you can provide will be most appreciated.

Thanks all.
Blue Skies,
skydiveMD
jumps out of perfectly good airplanes...

Blue Skies,
skydiveMD

RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:50 am

skydivemd wrote:I'm quite interested in speeding up the overall time to ferment to such a fine product.
If you're in such a hurry, why bother distilling it. Just prime and bottle it. When your friends ask about the tomato flavor, tell them it is "electric ketchup." :)

Seriously, fermentation should not be rushed. Let your yeast do their own thing in their own time. They'll be happier and your drink will taste better.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.

skydivemd
Novice

Post by skydivemd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am

RevSpaminator wrote:Just prime and bottle it. When your friends ask about the tomato flavor, tell them it is "electric ketchup." :).
Well, at least it would go great with a burger and fries!

But more seriously, the primary reason I had for brewing up the BW's was the poor taste and amount of congeners I got with the Turbo yeasts.
So you are definitely correct -- I do NOT want such a violent fermentation that I get so much heat production and yeast by-products being produced.

I think I worded things quite poorly. What I should have said was: I want to make sure I provide my yeast with the most easily fermentable substrate to keep them happy, maximize efficiency, and allow for the cleanest ferment possible which is what I am ultimately after.

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

skydiveMD
jumps out of perfectly good airplanes...

Blue Skies,
skydiveMD

Hawk_
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hawk_ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 pm

OlympicMtDoo wrote:I get 95 (%) not proof with my MileHi, on the second run, don't really pay to much attention to the first run because I allways run it twice, after a bit of hit and miss. Run er slow and steady you'll get there.
Same Here
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm

skydivemd wrote:Rad: I'm quite interested in speeding up the overall time to ferment to such a fine product. Do you invert simply by boiling water, sugar, lemon juice and tomato paste/puree in a large pot for 30 min or so? Or do you invert with a measured amt of citric acid?
I've looked through the thread to see some of your adjustments and have come up with, "The tweaks I am currently testing per gallon (4 liters) are: 1/2 tsp epsom salt (where I got the 2.5 tsp per 5 gallons measurement), 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp Peters 20-20-20." with the caveat that if you use 20-20-20 then you use less or no Epsom Salt. Have you settled on any regular adjustments that you use every time you can share or confirm? Any input you can provide will be most appreciated.
That's pretty much my regular Birdwatchers recipe... I invert my sugar using white vinegar at a rate of 1 tablespoon per pound of sugar...

Bruha
Novice

Post by Bruha » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 am

I was wondering how you clear-up the wash before the strip run? Thanks

Hawk_
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hawk_ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 am

Bruha wrote:I was wondering how you clear-up the wash before the strip run? Thanks
Just let it sit and clear on its own. The night before I run I transfered to a secondary and then poured it through a tshirt into the still the next morning.

Birdwatchers seems to me to have no trouble clearing once done fermenting.
"You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything from them. Once you've robbed them of everything, they're no longer in your power. They're free again."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

HopScotch74
Novice

Post by HopScotch74 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi. I'm new here (feel free to check out my welcome: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p7007635 )

I just wanted to say how great I'm finding this recipe to be.

My first ever wash was a 48hr Turbo :roll:
At the time, I thought it was great.
Then I read this thread. ALL 42 PAGES (at the time).
I'm onto my third 55L BW wash now.

On my first BW run, I cut the heads too soon because they smelt and tasted so much better than the Turbo hearts!

Oh and I have to mention the unbelievable yield you seem to get from this stuff compared to the turbo-yeast (especially if you soak the low-wines with Bi-Carb for a week).
I got 7.5L of hearts (Max.93%, Min.90%) from a 60L, 16% turbo wash. That's about 30% lost alcohol after cuts.
I'm able to get 6.0L of hearts (Mostly 94.5%, Min.90%) from a 55L, 11.4% BW wash. That's only 10% lost alcohol. :shock:
(My cuts are done after 3 days of airing and I'm not real fussy, so I may dip into the heads and tails more than others) :mrgreen:

One strange thing I have noticed,
The first batch I did, I kept the ferment temp at around 26-28°C as suggested here. It took 4 weeks to get down to 0.985 (OG was 1.077).
I kept the next batch at around 20-22°C and it fermented faster. 3 weeks from 1.080 down to 0.985.

I'm using Lowan dried bakers yeast and no epsom salts.

It seems that this yeast is happier at lower temps?

HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Hopscotch, have you checked yer Ph? Folks water can be different in different areas. Hell, it can be different from house ta house (wells)... that seems like a slow ferment to me, mine is done in about 8/9 days, let it stand a couple few, then straight into the boiler. Works out perfect for a two weekend cycle...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

HopScotch74
Novice

Post by HopScotch74 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Cool, thanks wacabi1
I'd forgotten all about the Ph.
I'll definitely check it out.

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Folks,
Ballsed up my first birdwatchers by adding to much sugar, sort of scalled down the recipe and didn't calc the sugar right. Started sg 1:100 and has almost come to a stand still at 1:40. should I just burn it off in the still now?
If it were still fermenting albeit very,very slowley and put it through the reflux still would it be a problem.
Would appriciate any help.

Regards

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

New to distilling wrote:Hi Folks,
Ballsed up my first birdwatchers by adding to much sugar, sort of scalled down the recipe and didn't calc the sugar right. Started sg 1:100 and has almost come to a stand still at 1:40. should I just burn it off in the still now?
If it were still fermenting albeit very,very slowley and put it through the reflux still would it be a problem.

Regards
Adding water will dilute the %ABV of the wash down to a point where there is less stress on the yeast colony... Then you can determine whether that is actually part of the problem or not... Could be not enough tomato paste, pH, temperature swings, or any number of other issues...

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm

AH my old friend, Thanks for your help. I read you post the other day about the baking soda so added that as per your instructions per gal/ltr so would imagine the ph must be within cuey and the temp has been a constant 30C.
The original brew was 23 ltrs water, 140 grams tomato paste, 1/2 a squeezed lemon and 50 grams dried active bakers yeast, so to add a little more water could do the trick?

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Maybe I should put a camden tablet in and stop the fermentation and distill it?

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 pm

"camden tablet in and stop the fermentation and distill it?"
i whould not do this. 1.100=13% bakers yeast should do it.
id add more nutrients (tomato or other) and Don'T use baking soda...

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm

New to distilling, I use more tomato paste/puree... Most recently, 1 tablespoon per liter/quart...

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Cheers I'll give hat a go then.

RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 pm

New to distilling wrote:Hi Folks,

Regards
If it is still fermenting, then the yeast are still alive and doing their job. Let them be and go do something else until the fermentation finishes. Your still will be there a few days from now. There's a lot of sugar in there waiting to be made into alcohol.

That is the number one mistake I've seen by people new to fermentation...lack of patience. New brewers, wine makers and distillers ask all the time "is it stuck?" I've made that mistake before myself, but in those days there weren't internet forums where I could ask anyone. I just had to rely on books and the knowledge of the guy at the homebrew supply.

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Is there much if any methanol in these sugar washers?

RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:04 pm

New to distilling wrote:Is there much if any methanol in these sugar washers?
As much as normal...maybe more, maybe less.. Just let it ferment until dry and run it.

New to distilling
Novice

Post by New to distilling » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I's still sitting at 1040, (4 days now) I'm starting to wonder if the alcahol has killed off the yeast?

Dnderhead
retired

Post by Dnderhead » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Its hard to restart a stalled ferment...some you can and some not..id run it..just dont over fill.
""methanol in these sugar washers?""" why? are you fermenting wood?

mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:50 pm

We all have been there. Starting out greedy and having ferments stall because of too high sugar content. Either run it as is or split into two batches, add water and repitch some yeast at the lower SG.

The hard lesson is that if you want more alcohol use two or more fermenters. It is easier to make two 8% washes than a 16% wash that finishes.

There is no methanol in a BW wash.

Jimbeamfreak
Novice

Post by Jimbeamfreak » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi all
has anyone worked out the ratio of Birdwatchers recipe for a 25 litre wash :wink: if so has it been posted here?

maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Jimbeamfreak wrote:Hi all
has anyone worked out the ratio of Birdwatchers recipe for a 25 litre wash :wink: if so has it been posted here?
25L = for me

5kg of sugar
1 lemon
pinch of epsom salts
120 G tomato paste
water
1/2 cup or so of yeast