Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
retired

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by Dnderhead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 am

if your satisfied with what your getting ,so be it.
but if you thank your getting crap and thank you can do better then try something different.
as for that still i beleve it a "CM" .

Sparhawk
Novice

Post by Sparhawk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 am

The lemon is to buffer the ph of the wash and help invert the sugars.

The tomato paste is a yeast nutrient.

There are threads on here about the Turbo 500 Still. I read them, thats why I decided not to buy one.

I know its long but your first two questions have been answered in this thread about a half dozen times already.
"Watch out for the horse, he bites."

All of this is hypothetical or theoretical and is for research and educational purposes only

jasfromnz
Novice

Post by jasfromnz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:00 pm

ok ok ok ok,Ihave asked this question a few times now but get no answer,so ill ask again,I do make this recipe and think it is awesome,but the time it takes is alot longer than stated now would this be
because of yeast i use
amount of yeast
temp
or another factors???????
if u want an easy clean batch this is the one for you

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Yes,yes, and yes. My birdwatchers usually takes 3 weeks to ferment out.

wolfpac
Novice

Post by wolfpac » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 am

just started our first bw.6 gal of our spring/well water,10 lbs plus 1 cup of sugar,juice of 1 lemon,9 oz tomato paste and third cup of bakers yeast.smells great and bubbling away starting sg is 1.08.did i miss anything?pitched in yeast at 30 c,romm temp is 24c.

Miscue
Novice

Post by Miscue » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 am

I made a small batch of this wash but I used lemon substitute instead of squeezed lemons. The substitute contains citric acid, lemon oil emulsion, sodium citrate and sodium benzoate. Can anyone tell me if I ruined this mash?

gumbl
Novice

Post by gumbl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am

Hey guys!

I made my first BW wash about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have gone as I hoped.
For the past week there has been little to no action in fermenting. I measured the SG and its about 1.050 :-( Not sure of the % but I guess somewhere in the range of 4-6%.

Any idea of what went wrong and how I could get the ball rolling again?

The recipe I used was:
21l water
5kg sugar
1 cup tomato paste
75g bakers yeast
1 lemon.

The temperature is around 20°c.

Will try to find the solution but any help appreciated!

frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Miscue wrote:I made a small batch of this wash but I used lemon substitute instead of squeezed lemons. The substitute contains citric acid, lemon oil emulsion, sodium citrate and sodium benzoate. Can anyone tell me if I ruined this mash?
Sodium benzoate is a preservative, may slow the wash, may stall it, might be fine. YMMV
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:

Digital_Plasma
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Digital_Plasma » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 pm

gumbl wrote:Hey guys!

I made my first BW wash about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have gone as I hoped.
For the past week there has been little to no action in fermenting. I measured the SG and its about 1.050 :-( Not sure of the % but I guess somewhere in the range of 4-6%.

The recipe I used was:
21l water
5kg sugar
1 cup tomato paste
75g bakers yeast
1 lemon.

Recipe seems fine.... It might be bad yeast. Sometimes you experience that. I did when buying liquid yeast from White Labs (no bad rep for White Labs. It was only once it happend). Well the fermentation barely started before it ended. It really sucks, but it happens sometimes that the yeast goes into autolysis where the yeastcells eats itself. Its rare so early in the stage, but it do happen from time to time. Best guess; you should try to add another batch of yeast that you activate first. Desolve a ½ cup of normal table sugar in 1 quart (1 liter aprox.). The water should be lukewarm. Desolve the yeast in the sugar water and let it sit for ½ an hour. You should see some activity there. By activating the yeast first, you make sure that you have a healthy family of yeastcells. It calls for that when there is a bit of alcohol in the BW batch you already have. Otherwise the new yeast might go into chock and stall.

Hope is solves ya' problem.

DP

Sparhawk
Novice

Post by Sparhawk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 am

gumbl wrote:Hey guys!

The recipe I used was:
21l water
5kg sugar
1 cup tomato paste
75g bakers yeast
1 lemon.

I am concerned about why you feel you are at 4 to 6% and your SG is 1.05? What was your OG? The ratio in the recipe seems right but... If you started too high you may have overwhelmed the yeast.
"Watch out for the horse, he bites."

All of this is hypothetical or theoretical and is for research and educational purposes only

gumbl
Novice

Post by gumbl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for the advice digital! Going to try this out! :-)

Sparhawk: I just took a sip and guessed from there, so it really could just be about any % :lol:

Digital_Plasma
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Digital_Plasma » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 am

gumbl wrote:Thanks for the advice digital! Going to try this out! :-)

Sparhawk: I just took a sip and guessed from there, so it really could just be about any % :lol:

Glad to help where i can gumbl. ;)

About the OG; i made a test recipe on "Beersmith" from the recipe you gave and the result should be something like 1.091. So if it have droped to about 1.050 the gravity would be in the area of 5.38% ABV.

DP

Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:46 am

It worked great for me, first time. I bought a 103 litre plastic hamper from Wallmart, follwed the recipe for 80 liters, brought it up to OG or 1.060, got the temperature up to 25*C and tossed a bottle of Fleishman's baker yeast. My shop is kept at 60*F (16*C) by in-floor heating, and I've been having some really slow ferments, so I put the hamper on a table. I bought an aquarium heater and a circulation pump for a 100 liter aquarium and turned them both on, hanging them from 1" holes drilled in the lid of the hamper. When I went to put the lid on the hamper, though, I found that, because the hamper had tried to form a circular top because of the pressure of the liquid, the area of the hamper decreased as I made it rectangular to fit the lid, raising the level of the wash to about 1-1/2 inches below the top. The foam got into to the holes in the cover but never overflowed. This is contrary to the instruction to leave a good space below the lid, but it didn't affect the ferment at all.

The next morning, I measured the temperature. It was around 20*C. The aquarium heater wasn't doing the job, so I draped an electric blanket over and around the hamper, and wrapped that with shiney pipe insulation. The wash went up to 24*C. It was done in six days. I think I had more than 80 liters. I stripped it two days later and did a spirit run the next day. From 1/2 of the batch--40 litres, I got 4 liters of azeoptrope, including heads and tails. The hearts are fantastic--almost tasteless. When mixed with a varitey of essenses, I eneded up with a six 40-oz bottles of tastey, pure spirits.

Thanks BW and HD, you done real good!

M

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Fleischmann's and most other bakers yeast will go dormant in the low 70's to high 60's so that's most likely the problem... Bakers yeast needs to be kept between 75F - 85F for best results... Get some heat into the wash and the yeast will get happy... That goes for both members having problems with this foolproof recipe...

BokaBakla
Novice

Post by BokaBakla » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 pm

I was wondering.. The op calls for fresh refrigerated yeast.

Do you guys do thew conversion to active dry yeast (about 1/3 the amount in fresh yeast) or are most of you using active dry yeast like I suspect and putting in too much?
Famous last words.. They get what they get and they like it too!

Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 am

Hi all, I've just completed my first ever wash and would like to share my experience.
I made a 25 litre wash with the following ratio of Birdwatcher's recipe.

5kg granulated sugar
juice of one fresh lemon
200g of double concentrate tomato puree
75g of dried active bakers yeast
1/4 of a teaspoon of epsom salts

I heated up 12 litres of water to 35 degrees celcius then added the 5 kg of sugar , lemon juice, epsom salts and finally the tomato puree and mixed in well. By this time the liquid temperature went to 42 degrees celcius. After pouring the wash into a 7 gallon fermentimg tub I added cold water to make the level up to 25 litres and checked the temperature which was 28 degees celcius. I then pitched the yeast onto the surface of the wash without stirring in.
The starting SG was 1.072 and after a little over 6 days the final SG is 0.992 which gives me a ABV of 10.6%
I also used an aquarium heater which I bought off Amazon for £7.00, a well worth investment.
I kept the wash at a temperature at 31 degrees celcius throughout the ferment.

This is a brilliant recipe that even I can manage, many thanks Birdwatcher.

edit:- Forgot to mention that the aquarium heater I used was a 50 watt
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 am

Gaztops, I do very similar method although With my temp I keep it around 28 C. My wash usually ends up around 12% and takes around 3 weeks to finish fermenting. How long did your wash take?

Also I have done both pitched the yeast and let it go, also have stirred the first 3 days with no noticeable difference.

BokaBakla
Novice

Post by BokaBakla » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 am

Yeah me too bush.. It takes around 2-3 weeks here. I usually start with a 1.08 to .09 though, lots of sugar in a 40L ss keg. The thing is I use fresh bakers yeast but was thinking of switching to active dry for the price. You can buy 2 lbs for 9 dollars shipped on amazon. The only place around here I can get fresh bakers yeast is $2.50 for 17g cubes. Big difference but I was wondering if it made a difference in the end product.

Really didn't want to go there because this recipe is perfect and if I could find fresh in bulk I wouldn't mess with it. I was wondering too- the amount of active dry compared to fresh. You could probably use a lot less because of all the moisture in the fresh. Read it was 2.5:1 and 3:1 if you use instant over fresh.

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:19 am

BokaBakla wrote:Yeah me too bush.. It takes around 2-3 weeks here. I usually start with a 1.08 to .09 though, lots of sugar in a 40L ss keg. The thing is I use fresh bakers yeast but was thinking of switching to active dry for the price. You can buy 2 lbs for 9 dollars shipped on amazon. The only place around here I can get fresh bakers yeast is $2.50 for 17g cubes. Big difference but I was wondering if it made a difference in the end product.

Really didn't want to go there because this recipe is perfect and if I could find fresh in bulk I wouldn't mess with it. I was wondering too- the amount of active dry compared to fresh. You could probably use a lot less because of all the moisture in the fresh. Read it was 2.5:1 and 3:1 if you use instant over fresh.
I use this chart when making conversions. Dry yeast works great in a birdwatchers recipe!
http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

BokaBakla
Novice

Post by BokaBakla » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 am

ah perfect! 8)

Offshore
Novice

Post by Offshore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello, I have a 15 gal. BW going right now, the starting SG was just over 1.090 and the SG right now is about 1.010 it is still working but has been very slow for the last two weeks, total time so far is about one month. How long do I dare to let this wash go to finish to at least 0.099? It still smells and taste ok yet, just getting a bit worried about it. I have had a aquarium heater in all the time that keeps it 78 to 80 deg. F.
I would very much appreciate any feed back on my concern.
Thank you.

Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Once the gravity hasn't changed for 4-5 days in a row, it's done. Might also help to degas it before you measure.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P

Offshore
Novice

Post by Offshore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Durace11 wrote:Once the gravity hasn't changed for 4-5 days in a row, it's done. Might also help to degas it before you measure.
Thank you for your reply, not to sure on what you mean by degas it.

1GOODWRENCH
Novice

Post by 1GOODWRENCH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Just made my firs batch of this today !!! at 1.076. was bubbling within a hour. BUT one question, i used the bottle Real Lemon juice, do you think it matters ?? Thanks

dis-still-in
Novice

Post by dis-still-in » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:29 am

Offshore wrote:
Durace11 wrote:Once the gravity hasn't changed for 4-5 days in a row, it's done. Might also help to degas it before you measure.
Thank you for your reply, not to sure on what you mean by degas it.
A significant amount of CO2 remains dissolved in solution after the ferment. "degassing" would be simply doing anything that would provide nucleation points for the CO2 to come out of solution. This can be as simple as a vigorous stir or agitation. You might be surprised how much CO2 remained...

holliday
Bootlegger

Post by holliday » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:49 am

18kg of sugar? That's almost 40 pounds right?

Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:22 am

1GOODWRENCH wrote:Just made my firs batch of this today !!! at 1.076. was bubbling within a hour. BUT one question, i used the bottle Real Lemon juice, do you think it matters ?? Thanks
As long as it DOESN'T have Sorbate in it you are fine, if it does you will "probably" get a stuck ferment. Sorbate prevents the yeast from multiplying so it makes it real hard for the yeast to eat up all the sugar.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P

Undies
Bootlegger

Post by Undies » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33 pm

holliday wrote:18kg of sugar? That's almost 40 pounds right?
FYI: http://birdwatchers.freewebhosts.com.au/

Shows pounds and kilos.
Birdwatchers ingredients calculator: https://birdwatchers.info/

1GOODWRENCH
Novice

Post by 1GOODWRENCH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks Durace11

ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:38 am

Sorry guys, I live in the UK, what is Tomato Paste?