Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Reaverman
Novice

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by Reaverman »

Do I need bentonite or other finings to clear up the wash prior to putting in the still?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No you dont......let it settle a few days before distilling.
Reaverman
Novice

Post by Reaverman »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:50 am No you dont......let it settle a few days before distilling.
That's fantastic, cheers mate
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

tomato paste is hard to find in the uk, can we use tomato passata or should we boil, blitz and reduce normal tomatoes, which is effectively tomato paste.
tomtom
Novice

Post by tomtom »

Tomato puree is nearly the same
Just make sure it has no preservatives in it
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

sampvt wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:24 am tomato paste is hard to find in the uk, can we use tomato passata or should we boil, blitz and reduce normal tomatoes, which is effectively tomato paste.
Sam,
I am pretty certain the role of the tomato paste is as a nutrient for the yeast.
If you can't get tomato paste then you could always look for other nutrients.
Seen some references to Vegemite (I presume Marmite would be the same) which of course is made from yeast (but Vegemite is the superior product of course being Australian).

Some other nutrients I have seen referred to are DAP and boiled yeast. The boiled yeast could be of interest to you as you could harvest the yeast from each wash as both a new starter and as a nutrient (boiled).

Have a look at Shineo's sugar wash or TTFV for comparison.

Not criticising Birdwatchers but there are alternatives to the tomato paste.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm
sampvt wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:24 am tomato paste is hard to find in the uk, can we use tomato passata or should we boil, blitz and reduce normal tomatoes, which is effectively tomato paste.
Sam,
I am pretty certain the role of the tomato paste is as a nutrient for the yeast.
If you can't get tomato paste then you could always look for other nutrients.
Seen some references to Vegemite (I presume Marmite would be the same) which of course is made from yeast (but Vegemite is the superior product of course being Australian).

Some other nutrients I have seen referred to are DAP and boiled yeast. The boiled yeast could be of interest to you as you could harvest the yeast from each wash as both a new starter and as a nutrient (boiled).

Have a look at Shineo's sugar wash or TTFV for comparison.

Not criticising Birdwatchers but there are alternatives to the tomato paste.
Ive got some DAP, Gypsum and Epsom salts so ill drop a touch of those in with the Passata. Im pretty sure passata is similar but I didnt see any issues the last time I used it. I followed a tomato paste wash here in the uk using canned tomatoes and Pasatta, so im guessing it was a version of Birdwatchers. Im guessing the tomato paste delivers all the nutrients needed to feed the Yeat cells as they merrily chomp away at the sucrose, so giving the yeats a little more breakfast than needed isnt gonna hurt. Im not doing it till next week when my new 120l fermenter gets here so ill shop around for answers in the meantime. Im sure someone will suggest something. Thanks for your help though, at least I understood your answer.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I always save trub from my finished ferments to boil into future ferments as a yeast nutrient. Seems to work great and only costs you a little effort to collect it. Just store in a jug (loosely capped) in the refrigerator or separate into single use volumes and store in the freezer until ready to use. I wouldn't count on it as the only nutrient, but in my humble opinion it does seem to give a boost to yeast activity and that makes it worth adding to almost any sugar wash recipe.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

zed255 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:30 pm I always save trub ......
.... separate into single use volumes and store in the freezer until ready to use.
That is a great suggestion! My wife is always asking me about those jars at the back of the fridge!
Come to mention it, I think I have found the perfect size storage glass, one of those little ones used for spices.

Thanks for the idea Zed!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

sampvt wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Ive got some DAP, Gypsum and Epsom salts so ill drop a touch of those in with the Passata. Im pretty sure passata is similar but I didnt see any issues the last time I used it. I followed a tomato paste wash here in the uk using canned tomatoes and Pasatta, so im guessing it was a version of Birdwatchers. Im guessing the tomato paste delivers all the nutrients needed to feed the Yeat cells as they merrily chomp away at the sucrose, so giving the yeats a little more breakfast than needed isnt gonna hurt. Im not doing it till next week when my new 120l fermenter gets here so ill shop around for answers in the meantime. Im sure someone will suggest something. Thanks for your help though, at least I understood your answer.
Sam,
Go easy on those and don't add to much or too many, that may add to off flavours if I am not wrong.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:45 pm
Sam,
Go easy on those and don't add to much or too many, that may add to off flavours if I am not wrong.
Since you last posted ive done some research and it would appear that the only difference between tom paste and puree or passata, is the blitzing or boiling of said products. Passata has a few preservatives and can have salts and spices added, but in essence so does paste and puree to a smaller degree, but in so much as they are all tomato with the nutrients still in tact, ive been reliably informed from a food bio person, that there are no damaging elements in none of them that could or would prohibit the yeast from performing or stressing. The best option for me seems to be a big can of plum tomatoes, blitz it, heat it up and reduce the content and use that. Apparently, some nasties get ejected when the boiling takes place, im guessing its a bit like homogenisation. Anyway ill report back as and when I try it.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

sampvt wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:33 am
Sam,
Since you last posted ive done some research and it would appear that the only difference between tom paste and puree or passata, is the blitzing or boiling of said products. Passata has a few preservatives and can have salts and spices added, but in essence so does paste and puree to a smaller degree, but in so much as they are all tomato with the nutrients still in tact, ive been reliably informed from a food bio person, that there are no damaging elements in none of them that could or would prohibit the yeast from performing or stressing. The best option for me seems to be a big can of plum tomatoes, blitz it, heat it up and reduce the content and use that. Apparently, some nasties get ejected when the boiling takes place, im guessing its a bit like homogenisation. Anyway ill report back as and when I try it.
Good luck, I hope it goes well. Is your problem with getting the paste related to COVID lockdowns by any chance? I hear you lot are hit pretty hard by COVID. Keep safe and well.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:55 pm
Sam,
Paste seems to be an American thing, we only get concentrated paste in tubes that are flavoured with spices and preservative called puree. Ive never seen pure tomato paste over here. We can get tomato paste, but the European and British paste has salt, lemon and olive oil in. The American paste is just tomatoes boiled filtered and reduced. As I aid, my wife is going to buy me a big can of canned tomatoes, we will boil and sieve then reduce the contents and end up with pure tom paste, or we could just work out how many tomatoes goes into a cup of paste and use fresh toms that have been blitsed as the waer removal isnt that needy as its getting mixed with water anyway.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. Is your problem with getting the paste related to COVID lockdowns by any chance? I hear you lot are hit pretty hard by COVID. Keep safe and well.
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:55 pm
Sam,
Paste seems to be an American thing, we only get concentrated paste in tubes that are flavoured with spices and preservative called puree. Ive never seen pure tomato paste over here. We can get tomato paste, but the European and British paste has salt, lemon and olive oil in. The American paste is just tomatoes boiled filtered and reduced. As I aid, my wife is going to buy me a big can of canned tomatoes, we will boil and sieve then reduce the contents and end up with pure tom paste, or we could just work out how many tomatoes goes into a cup of paste and use fresh toms that have been blitsed as the waer removal isnt that needy as its getting mixed with water anyway.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Tomato paste is readily available in Australia...

Geoff
The Baker
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

The Baker wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:08 pm Tomato paste is readily available in Australia...

Geoff
Last time I looked, Leeds in Yorkshire was just over the road from France and on the other side of the world from our Auzie compadres. Seems like between Aus and the USA, you guys have all the goodies, all we Brits have are good looks, humour and the best looking girls on the planet.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

sampvt wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:21 pm
The Baker wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:08 pm Tomato paste is readily available in Australia...

Geoff
Last time I looked, Leeds in Yorkshire was just over the road from France and on the other side of the world from our Auzie compadres. Seems like between Aus and the USA, you guys have all the goodies, all we Brits have are good looks, humour and the best looking girls on the planet.
And modesty.

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Geoff
And a shortage of dentists......
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Geoff
And a shortage of dentists......
Can't comment on that mate as I lost all my teeth through chemo when I had treatment for my brain tumour and Lymph node cancer. But England is notorious for bad dental hygiene mainly because our dentists won't let us hold their nuts whilst they operate. That way they wouldn't be so cavalier, lol. Incidentally, I've opened another thread on my gin issues as I didn't want it to go on here as it's not a slight or issue on the recipe on here, its another thing I must be doing wrong.
vanstill
Novice

Post by vanstill »

i'm just curious but why are people using tomota paste for a yeast nutrient, why can't you just run down to the local home brew shop a d actually buy yeast nutrient. I've bought 50 grams for when i make wine for $1.39 canadian and for a five gallon batch of apple wine I only use 2.5 tsp. so why tomato paste
sampvt
Swill Maker

Post by sampvt »

vanstill wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:35 am i'm just curious but why are people using tomota paste for a yeast nutrient, why can't you just run down to the local home brew shop a d actually buy yeast nutrient. I've bought 50 grams for when i make wine for $1.39 canadian and for a five gallon batch of apple wine I only use 2.5 tsp. so why tomato paste
Good question but I cant answer it as Im not that clever. Maybe one of the elders of the temple will chip in. I wish I didnt have to use tomato paste as its awfully messy.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

vanstill wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:35 am i'm just curious but why are people using tomota paste for a yeast nutrient, why can't you just run down to the local home brew shop a d actually buy yeast nutrient. I've bought 50 grams for when i make wine for $1.39 canadian and for a five gallon batch of apple wine I only use 2.5 tsp. so why tomato paste
It’s cheap and easy and reliable and you don’t have to go to a HBS for it if you don’t have a local one. That said, I haven’t made one for two and a half years and probably won’t again unless I need to.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

vanstill wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:35 am why can't you just run down to the local home brew shop a d actually buy yeast nutrient.
Guessing your one of those city people who think every corner has a HBS on it.
It isn't that way for a lot of people in a lot of countries and locations even today.
It was probably even less so back when birdwatcher and other people where developing this recipe.
Tomato paste has all of the nutrients needed to make yeast happy and for a ferment to go well.
Nearly every home in Australia the US and many other countries has tomato paste in the cupboard.....why would you want to make an extra trip to the HBS to buy something that cost twice the price that does the same job?
sampvt wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:50 am I wish I didnt have to use tomato paste as its awfully messy.
If getting some tomato paste on you is the biggest problem you have in life I reckon your doing pretty damn good :roll: .......lots of folk out there doing it tougher.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

sampvt wrote: ↑Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:50 am
I wish I didn't have to use tomato paste as its awfully messy.

Hold jar bottom up, almost.
Dig most out roughly with a spoon.
Partly fill jar with water and replace the lid.
Shake vigorously.
Remove lid and pour out contents of jar.
Do those last two again.

No mess, no fuss.

Geoff
The Baker
vanstill
Novice

Post by vanstill »

my farm is an hour an half from biggest town my family has been brewing beer and wine for 80 yrs i'm just following their recipes and so no i'm not one of those city folk but do have internet and can order things and pick them up on my trip into town. I was wondering if it was for flavour or anything like that
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

vanstill wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:12 am my farm is an hour an half from biggest town my family has been brewing beer and wine for 80 yrs i'm just following their recipes and so no i'm not one of those city folk but do have internet and can order things and pick them up on my trip into town. I was wondering if it was for flavour or anything like that
It's for neutral. You might get noticeable flavor if you are greedy with your cuts, or run too fast, but get it right and it should be good enough for gin. For fun, I have reprocessed the feints to concentrate the tomato flavor into a spirit that was only good for Bloody Marys.

In NZ HBSs are an expensive way of getting most things. I'm going to one today to get cheese wax, their other cheese consumables can be imported bulk much cheaper. They have little for distilling that I use except for glassware.
franco1s0001
Novice

Post by franco1s0001 »

A bit off topic but at the end of S10E12 of moonshiners, they talk about birdwatchers recipe, S10E13 they'll make a run.
Undies
Bootlegger

Post by Undies »

franco1s0001 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:58 am A bit off topic but at the end of S10E12 of moonshiners, they talk about birdwatchers recipe, S10E13 they'll make a run.
Nice tip, thanks! :D
Birdwatchers ingredients calculator: https://birdwatchers.info/
Distilling
Novice

Post by Distilling »

I have been doing a derivation of this recipe for years with consistent and agreeable results: 12% ABV, completely dry in about 9 days.

In Europe / UK is difficult to get tomato paste puree so instead I thought using nutritional yeast as yeast nutrient. And it works. Looks like yeast are cannibalistic and do not mind eat their own! :roll: It goes like this: In a 10 liter bucket dissolve with water 2.4 Kg of sugar, 135 ml of any vinegar but 6º acidity (Do the math if different), 45 gr of yeast nutrient, water to top. In the end add 13.5 gr of dry baker`s yeast - hydrate this yeast with some water 20-30 minutes, this sugar wash is too sugary for dry yeast to cope with dormancy. Stir. Leave it in a dark place at room temperature to ferment.

It renders 7.5 liters of sugar wash at about 12 %. In my case this recipe has been consistent many times and I have not got any problems with flavor or anything - PH change of the vinegar, 135 ml of 6º in a 10 liters worth, leaves the worth below 4.6 and that makes the fermentation easier and safer
Distilling
Novice

Post by Distilling »

Forgot to mention the nutritional yeast I have been using as yeast nutrient is in dry form.

I guess any inactivated yeast, like boiled yeast, would work as alternative yeast nutrient if you adjust the proportions for the added water :eh: