Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by Dnderhead »

citric acid, is used in canning fruit/vedges. if some one does that.
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

Fruit Fresh is used for keeping fruit from going brown.

Ingredients are:
Dextrose
ascorbic acid
citric acid
silicon dioxide

Just a thought.....
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I have a can here "Mrs Wages" citric acid for home canning.
they mite make diferant mixes?
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Use fresh lemon juice.

I'm also using a couple of tablespoons of epsom salts, rather than nutrients. Buy at any drugstore.

Epsom salts are made up of a naturally occurring mineral that is found in water. More properly known as magnesium sulfate, Epsom salts derives its popular name from the town of Epsom, England, where the compound was first distilled from water. The chemical formula for Epsom salts is a rather simplistic one: MgS04-7H2O.

G
My sugar wash for ethanol is under the Tried and true recipes forum.
johnethos
Novice

Post by johnethos »

I have been running my still for about two months getting mediocre results (a drinkable product that goes well with apple juice) trying to "fix" my still and distilling technique, to refine my end product. never thinking for a second, it could be the crappy turbo yeast I have been using that is giving off the foul ordure, and taste. I am going to try brewing bridwatchers recipe today and can't wait to taste the results. I am very interested to know if there is a difference in using baker yeast over champaigner's yeast.

thank you all who have gone down this road before and drawn a map for those lost fools following.
To not protect our Rights and freedoms should be criminal!
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

Take it from a newbie who's "been there, done that", ditch the turbos.

A tried and true "turbo" like birdwatchers or gerber will produce a MUCH better product and only add a couple of days to the ferment but that is WELL worth it.
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

johnethos wrote:I have been running my still for about two months getting mediocre results (a drinkable product that goes well with apple juice) trying to "fix" my still and distilling technique, to refine my end product. never thinking for a second, it could be the crappy turbo yeast I have been using that is giving off the foul ordure, and taste. I am going to try brewing bridwatchers recipe today and can't wait to taste the results. I am very interested to know if there is a difference in using baker yeast over champaigner's yeast.

thank you all who have gone down this road before and drawn a map for those lost fools following.

Good luck with my recipe. Add a pinch of Epsom salts. Reduce SG to say 1.07, if you have not started.

Forget turbo yeast. Use ordinary bakers yeast. Try to buy fresh at a good health food store. Keep us posted with your results.

Your stills, or your distilling procedure could be your problem. Buy this book.

http://www.gin-vodka.com/making-gin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers,

G
Vodka_Master
Novice

Post by Vodka_Master »

I'm going to start my second run soon and i thought i would go with birdwatchers recipe, being recommended by people. I understand that the tomato paste is basically just nutriments for the yeast but how about lemon juice? Does that make a pretty big difference or just running with tomato paste, sugar and yeast is all i need?

Btw i bought that book and it all started there for me. It's a great book to have if not buying a still.

Cheers
kubota
Novice

Post by kubota »

birdwatcher wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Use fresh lemon juice.

I'm also using a couple of tablespoons of epsom salts, rather than nutrients. Buy at any drugstore.

Epsom salts are made up of a naturally occurring mineral that is found in water. More properly known as magnesium sulfate, Epsom salts derives its popular name from the town of Epsom, England, where the compound was first distilled from water. The chemical formula for Epsom salts is a rather simplistic one: MgS04-7H2O.

G
Just a query on the couple of tablespoons of epsom salts, rather than nutrients.
Can you explain where this fits into the recipe. Thanks
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I believe with these recipes everybody is going to have a different answer because every ones water is different, well water "mite have all the minerals
a ferment needs, spring mite not,rain mite be acid and city water,, your on your own.. I believe the only way to make a recipe that whould "fit" everyone's needs
whould be to use distilled/reverse osmosis water,add minerals/nutrients so it works the way you want, these recipes are a good start. but you mite have to "tweak"to fit your situation. once you know what your water "lacks" then it whould make the job easier. some of the more common water
ingredients are calcium, iron,magnesium, phosphorus, nitrogen and even hormones. yours mite have all or part of these, mine mite not.
kubota
Novice

Post by kubota »

No problem with the water, rain water from tanks.
I've used this recipe for most neutrals and have found it excellent.
I just queried about birdwatcher using epsom salts as a replacement for nutrients and unless the tomato paste was replaced with the epsom salts I can't figure why he would of said that.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Hi BW, I will definately be trying this... Trying to keep away from the turbos...Bad Press... :econfused:

Thanks for this. HD Rules... So Much Info.... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Mark Ducati
Novice

Post by Mark Ducati »

Quick question for you,

Since I already have some Turbo Yeast (Bought it before you guys said it was crap)... If I use half a 225g package and one of their little nutrient packs for a 5 gallon wash, can I omit the Tomato Paste (assuming you're using that for nutrients)?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Mark Ducati wrote:Quick question for you,

Since I already have some Turbo Yeast (Bought it before you guys said it was crap)... If I use half a 225g package and one of their little nutrient packs for a 5 gallon wash, can I omit the Tomato Paste (assuming you're using that for nutrients)?
We've been cautioning about turbo yeast all along, you just hadn't read it yet... 8)

Leaving out the tomato paste and using turbo yeast is simply going your own way and not the Birdwatcher recipe at all... If that's the course you decide to take then any recipe support should be done in a separate topic rather than this one dedicated to the Birdwatcher recipe...
Cornellius
Novice

Post by Cornellius »

How would boiling paste and sugar for 30 minutes will effect the recipe?
I wear this crown of thorns, upon my liar's chair,
Full of broken thoughts I can not repair...
johnethos
Novice

Post by johnethos »

Ran Birdwatchers recipe through the still this week. What a result, no more foul taste. With the latest still modification (new valve controls on the fractionation chamber) was able to collect 92% in two stripping runs. Thank you guys for all your wisdom.
To not protect our Rights and freedoms should be criminal!
Kronk
Novice

Post by Kronk »

Cornellius wrote:How would boiling paste and sugar for 30 minutes will effect the recipe?
I wouldn't boil the tomato paste....add it to the wash after it cools below 100F. Cooking the paste like that will add an off smell and taste. (speaking from experience)

Kronk
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Kronk wrote:
Cornellius wrote:How would boiling paste and sugar for 30 minutes will effect the recipe?
I wouldn't boil the tomato paste....add it to the wash after it cools below 100F. Cooking the paste like that will add an off smell and taste. (speaking from experience)

Kronk
I don't boil my tomato paste, but I do mix it with a bit of water and heat to about 70-80 ºC in the microwave, to sterilise it. (If it is not fresh from a newly opened jar of paste.)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Cornellius
Novice

Post by Cornellius »

Thanks, it sounds like I was making a major mistake.
I wear this crown of thorns, upon my liar's chair,
Full of broken thoughts I can not repair...
mulver
Novice

Post by mulver »

i tried Birdwatchers wash for my first ever sugar wash and after 5 days is below 1.000 awesome! will rack it off soon and run through my still in couple of days!
just out of interest if you use bakers yeast and dont add a nutrient (tomato paste) what is likely to happen??
i dont have a brew shop close and want to try brew a cider with some apple juice and bakers yeast??
cheers
love this site!!!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

mulver wrote:just out of interest if you use bakers yeast and dont add a nutrient (tomato paste) what is likely to happen??
i dont have a brew shop close and want to try brew a cider with some apple juice and bakers yeast??
Bakers yeast will work just fine... If you leave out the tomato paste you will need some other form of yeast nutrient and it won't be the Birdwatchers recipe anymore...
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

This is an update on my sugar wash. Much simplified.

Equipment:

My fermenter is a Rubbermaid 106 liter opaque white storage container with lid.
In Canada, available at Canadian Tire. Bore hole in lid large enough to accept aquarium heater.

Aquarium Heater

Hydrometer

digital thermometer

Stir stick

Syphoning tube

My recipe for an 80 liter wash. Ingredients as follows:

3 cups tomato paste

Juice 3 lemons

Approx. 18 kg sugar

225 grams fresh regular bakers yeast. Buy in bulk at any good health food store.

I/2 tsp Epsom Salts

water (I use spring well water)

Procedure:

Keep careful notes from start to finish for future reference.

Carefully mix paste, juice, say 14 kg sugar with 60 liters water at 23-30 C Measure SG.
(you are aiming for 1.06 to 1.09) My last batch was 1.07

Carefully add water and sugar to bring mixture to 80 liter, WITH A SG 1.07.
Temperature of finished mixture should be 23C-33C to start. My last batch was 24-25 C

You should now have 80 liters of mixed ingredients.

Carefully sprinkle 225 grams of yeast and Epsom Salts over surface, stirring in.
Place cover loosely, to let CO2 escape, keeping flying nasties out.
There is so much CO2 coming off; there is no need to worry about oxygen coming in contact.

Insert your aquariium heater and adjust temperature.

Check SG and temperature daily

Stir daily.

After a total of 7-8 days SG should be .995. If not, wait until completion.

Note: After fifteen years of making 95% ethanol, and fine tuning my recipe after lots of
suggestions from people on this forum, this is what works for me. I'm always fine
tuning and welcome any comments or suggestions.

If any points above are not clear or you have questions, send me a message.

Cheers,

G
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Birdwatcher, I have had a lot of sucess with your recipe, but I have a question. If 4 or 5 days into the ferment I see a ph in the wash of 4.0, could I add a little baking soda to raise this without harm to the taste?
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Id say 4 ant bad if you git to 3.5-3 then worry.
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

Dnderhead wrote:Id say 4 ant bad if you git to 3.5-3 then worry.
So, what if you get this low.... how should one worry, correct the pH? If so, then how? What is considered an excessive correction? What are the consequences? Mud and I are pardners.... so I think he would like to know as well. Thanks in advance, WD
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

tho sodium is for the most part safe Id rather use calcium or potassium carbonate.much more yeast friendly.(I thank)
if you want something fast try potassium bicarb.
(I fiend that sodium leaves a "salty taste)
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Thanks for the info.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Your question has been answered, however, in my experience, after running the finished wash through my pot still and then the moonshine through my fraction still, the resulting 95% ethanol is tasteless, regardless of the ingredients of the original wash.

Another point; what's the rush. I just finished a wash and it took eight days to finish to SG .995. My basement is cool at this time of the year. The wash ran between 22 C to 23 C. My starting SG was 1.07.

Today I will siphon 80 liters of finished wash into air locked carboys and let it settle for a day or so. A lot of people ask about clearing the wash at this stage. I have never bothered.

I simply carefully siphon the opaque wash into my boiler, for the pot still run, leaving the spent yeast in the carboys. When finished I clean the boiler with hot water.

I will carefully measure my results through the next steps and post here, for your information.

Have a good day and thanks for your interest.

G
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

How many tablespoons is 225 grams for the yeast ?
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

16 tbsp. = 1 cup = 8 oz. = 225 grams