Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RefluxFan
Novice

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by RefluxFan »

Funny, been looking on here for a while now, but only just found this one, it must be true: "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear". :ewink:

Setup my 100 litre batch tonight,
21 kg's sugar
930 grams tomato paste ( 3 x 310 gram cans Watties Tomato Paste)
4 x lemonade lemons
250 grams bakers yeast
1 tsp. Epsom Salts

1 hour after mixing, can feel the warmth of the ferment with my ear against the barrel and can hear the bubbling inside the barrel, but no bubbling in the jar yet.
Will check again in the morning. BW, if this one works, you are a god!!! :mrgreen:
This must be the most easiest recipe to date.
Will keep you posted
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Good day RF

Ingredients sounds perfect, but you did not mention your starting SG. I'm sure its fine but its nice to know, so you can check your progress daily.

This is a good sized wash. What are you using for a container and is it covered. You mentioned a barrel and a glass container.

What was the starting temperature of your wash and are you using a heater. i.e. aquarium heater?

You've probably got the above all under control, but it doesn't hurt to have someone double checking with this size of wash.

Keep us posted. This should keep you in vodka/gin and tonic for the rest of the year.

G
My sugar wash for ethanol is under the Tried and true recipes forum.
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

I've got a 120 litre fermenting barrel with a lid that clamps down, I leave about 20 litres space for the foaming, etc. Hole in top lid of barrel with a hose pushed into the hole and the other end is submerged in a big glass jar of water as my bubbler.

Starting SG was 1065, temp was about 25-30 C. I will look into buying an aquarium heater, sounds like good advice, but in the meantime i've got an old duvet/quilt wrapped around it.

Cheers
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

Question: Why do you have to stir the batch every day? Can't you just leave it alone to do its' thing until it finishes?

I'm happy to stir it everyday, just wondering why it is recommended.
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

RefluxFan wrote:Question: Why do you have to stir the batch every day? Can't you just leave it alone to do its' thing until it finishes?

I'm happy to stir it everyday, just wondering why it is recommended.
You know something, I don't bother any more. I too now, just leave it until it finishes. This was in my original instructions as a result of Dr. John Stones instructions from his book. But with the new ingredients, as a result from hints and instructions from this site, it simply isn't necessary.

Cheers.

G
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

RefluxFan wrote:I've got a 120 litre fermenting barrel with a lid that clamps down, I leave about 20 litres space for the foaming, etc. Hole in top lid of barrel with a hose pushed into the hole and the other end is submerged in a big glass jar of water as my bubbler.

Starting SG was 1065, temp was about 25-30 C. I will look into buying an aquarium heater, sounds like good advice, but in the meantime i've got an old duvet/quilt wrapped around it.

Cheers
Perfect.

G
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

i just started my first Birdwatchers tonight.
i just have it in the shed. we have a high of around 75*F during the day. the shed holds the head into the night.
it may take two weeks to finish, but i'm in no hurry.

couldn't tell you SG, i don't have my kit yet from Brewhaus.
i want to run steam through the still one more time. i ran a alcohol batch last night. there must of been a little vinegar left in it. it had a slight E-tac smell to it.
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Sorry for the late reply guys, work an all. Anyway, I done a spirit run last week with 30L of my low wines from this recipe. What I got was 7 Litres @ 90+ abv of very very clean neutral. The rest I demotted to the feigns jar to be run later. I really cannot believe how easy this recipe is. The only stirring I gave the wass was when I put all the ingredients together. Apart from that, I never touched it.

I,m sure lookin to build up my stock of voddy for summer and this is a surefire way of doing it.

I put the low wines through my LM/VM rig. Took the Fores and heads with LM slowly. Switched to VM, equilibriated the column for 30mins, took 150ml of condensed heads and switched to the hearts paying close attention to temps, smells and tastes. Once the VM had given me my spoils I switched back to LM, opened the valve all the way, turned up the heat/coolant and run down to 20% abv for the tails.

Hope this helps. This is a Kick-Ass recipe from BW....

Thanks again man...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Welcome to the club.

You might consider investing in this book.

http://www.gin-vodka.com/making-gin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers.

G
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

+1 with Samohon for the BW wash
Just finished a run with my pot still
6hrs and happily drinking some of the results at the moment.

Got another 25ltr wash to put through tomorrow.

Thanks again BW

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Titus-a-fishus wrote:+1 with Samohon for the BW wash
Just finished a run with my pot still
6hrs and happily drinking some of the results at the moment.

Got another 25ltr wash to put through tomorrow.

Thanks again BW

TAF
Enjoy.

G
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

warm today.
opened the lid on the first birdwatchers wash. smells like beer, no real head on it, i can see a few lemon pulp pieces in top.
i put in three packs of yeast when i made it. think i need more? i see some pictures have a big head and foam. mine is pretty calm. but she smells like it's working.
gona do a cleaning run today, just water. last run i had a little vinegar left in it. the alcohol and vinegar mixed make a e-tac smell. i want to clean steam it before i run the wash.
7 year column distiller
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

How many liters is your wash?

What is the temperature of the wash?

What was the starting SG?

How much yeast is in the packets, in grams?

Cheers.

G
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

5 gallon wash, 19L
wash is outside, 70*F nights, 85*F days. it's in the shed
3/4 oz or 21g of yeast, fleischmann's bakers yeast.

i don't have my hydrometer yet. so i'm not sure what i had going in.
7 year column distiller
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

How much sugar. Should be around 4-5 Kg. if less, make up.

Add 35 grams of bakers yeast. Fleischmanns is fine.

Difficult operating without hydrometer.

Cheers.

G
marc83
Bootlegger

Post by marc83 »

Have my 3rd one of these on at the mo.i didnt even check the starting SG on this one as the previous two worked perfectly and i am so confident with this recipe now,that i am gauranteed a fully fermented wash.
Recipe i used is as follows-
21L of water
5kg sugar
1 teaspoon epsom salts
40ml lemon juice(2 small lemons)
3/4 can of watties tomato paste(250gmsish)
75gm Edmonds active yeast(bakers yeast)

This makes a 25L wash,once ingredients are added.Starting SG is 1075,Pitch yeast at 30 degrees,stir up and sit lid on top,i wrap the fermenter in a warm blanket,and in 1-2 hrs there is an inch thick head on it.Stir once a day,although i havent bothered at all with this one,just the initial stir.I keep it in the spare room,which overnight temp drops tgo at least 15 degrees,sometimes 13(its getting bloody cold down here).The nice thick blanky protects it from temperature change,keeping the heat it produces itself inside,i dont use a heat pad.It fully ferments to 0980 in 5 days.I leave mine for 5,degas,leave for 2,rack into another fermenter,and leave for a week before distilling.

Sorry to go on,but im so confident in this recipe now,Its routine now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:Oh yeah and fully invest in a SG hydometer.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Birdwatcher,
I was wondering if you recycle your yeast from your lees for the next batches or do you just start every ferment with new yeast?
Also what about boiling some of the lees and adding them for more nutrients?? Might give more yeasty off flavors???
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Hi Marc83,

Looks like you ar totally under control.

Enjoy.

G

Hi Fastill,

I've thought about it, but why bother. I can make a bottle of vodka better than you can buy at the liquor store for minus $2.00. with fresh ingredients.

Cheers,

G
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hi BW,

Enjoying your thread as each day passes.

I assume "nuetural" is the name of your game. thus the lack of interest in multiple generations.

what type of still head do you currently employ?

And what does $2 scale to in yeild I wonder?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

just took a peak at the BW's wash. nice little bubbles working to the top. a great sign. i think the temps must of had something to do with the slow start. since it was hot today, she's perking nice. smells like a nice clean beer, almost want to taste.
with the heat on all week, it should be ready to cook next weekend, fathers day shine. :D
7 year column distiller
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Hi All,

I run an 80 liter wash once through a pot still. The design is illustrated in the following:

http://www.gin-vodka.com/making-gin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The resulting moonshine then goes into my fractioning still designed by Rudy on this site. I started a batch around 8 AM yesterday and is still dripping nicely at 78 C. So far just over 24 hrs so its nearly finished. I have collected about 8 liters of ethanol thus far. I'll probably end up with around 9 liters.

Incidentally, this will be my last run. I'm 72 and we've just sold our property in central Ontario and we are moving to a high rise apartment in Ottawa after 20 years of retirement in the country. Yesterday I gave my pot still and 2 boilers(converted waterheaters) and other equipment to my electrician/plumber friend, who assisted me technically for the past ten years. I'm keeping my (Rudy) still and will visit my friend for a few days when I need product in the future. 3 cases of vodka, on hand, will hold me for a while.

I will continue to monitor this site offering assistance when needed.

Cheers.

G
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Good luck to you birdwatcher... You have been a great asset to the HD community and I think I speak for everyone here when I say that your recipe and its support have been greatly appreciated... Don't be a stranger... The craft is in your blood so it'll be hard to let go completely... I am currently dealing with my 79 year old father who has been a beekeeper for 66 years and can no longer remain active in the hobby so I know how difficult giving up on lifelong activities can be... None of us are getting any younger and it gets to a point where we have to pick our battles wisely...
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

GL birdwatcher. I hope the high rise suits you. I do not look forward to the day where I can no longer maintain property, or physical hobbies, and hopefully that is a long ways off.

Your help here on the site will be missed, friend! The recipe you have worked on, has greatly helped many of the newer members. The wisdom you put into it has been felt by many.

Do drop by and chat, when you feel like it. You are certainly welcome and wanted here.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Thanks, I'll be around. G
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

rad14701 wrote:Good luck to you birdwatcher... You have been a great asset to the HD community and I think I speak for everyone here when I say that your recipe and its support have been greatly appreciated... Don't be a stranger... The craft is in your blood so it'll be hard to let go completely... I am currently dealing with my 79 year old father who has been a beekeeper for 66 years and can no longer remain active in the hobby so I know how difficult giving up on lifelong activities can be... None of us are getting any younger and it gets to a point where we have to pick our battles wisely...
+1 Rad. Really great asset to HD. Keep it up BW.

I also keep bees, its very theraputic working with them, must be hard for your father not being as mobile now as he used to be.
My father is 75 but still has his mobility to a limited extend. Just glad to have him around.
They are an incredible insect, and cleanliness, just like stilling, is paramount. I only have 5 hives but I can usually take 100kg - 120kg
in a season. If I drive them well into country, where the pollen is in abundance, they can sometimes reach the 200kg mark.
Really love everything about it, I even make a honey vodka from BW 96% abv that this recipe gives me.... :esurprised:
But I pot still the All Bran as it gives me a very nice bourbon type beverage.
Bees.jpg
Iam going to try a BW honey recipe instead of sugar. Honey contains approx 25% less sugars than granulated store bought, but I think
that if I bring the SG to around 1080 - 1090 using honey, I should be ok...
Just need to get those little rascals working..... :lol:

Birdwatcher, hope you enjoy the high-rise and good luck mate.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

Good luck Mr. Birdwatcher. I know the living space in a high rise is limited but I'm sure you have dreams of a compact stove-top still. Please keep us posted on your endevours, and waiting to see pics of your future mini-still, haha.

Fester
ammo man
Swill Maker

Post by ammo man »

I know this is late but I, too, wish you the best Birdwatcher. I am or was a bee keeper hobbist until last year. At almost 75 I cannot handle lifting the surpers, etc. anymore. I sold my interest in the little hobby/bussiness we had to my nephew and a friend. I still handle the smoker sometimes and help extract the honey. Bee keeping gets in your blood, and for most it stays there forever.

Bert
noshybabs
Novice

Re: Birdwatchers gar wash recipe

Post by noshybabs »

thanks for this birdwatcher.

I've just popped one in, but instead of the tomato paste I used 50g yeast nutrient. I'm worried about turning my bucker orange.

if anyone is interested that's

5kg sugar
2 limes
50g yeast nutrient
75g dried bakers yeast.

Its only been in 5 mins and its already got a head and smells delicious.

I'll let you know what happens
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

noshybabs wrote:I'm worried about turning my bucker orange.
Naw. It doesn't come across in your distillate.

Good source for nitrogen and can be purchased without raising an eye brow.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I think he's more concerned with staining his fermentation buckets that he also uses for beer... Not that turning pink would effect beer making...