Booner's Casual All Corn

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by Bushman »

The Baker wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:22 pm I think I may try corn flour next time.

Commercial "cornflour" is usually made from WHEAT.

Geoff
I believe wheat flour is substituted for corn flour especially in Australia where wheat is easier to obtain. We can purchase both here in the PNW.
SV-Distiller
Novice

Post by SV-Distiller »

Bushman wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:16 am
The Baker wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:22 pm I think I may try corn flour next time.

Commercial "cornflour" is usually made from WHEAT.

Geoff
I believe wheat flour is substituted for corn flour especially in Australia where wheat is easier to obtain. We can purchase both here in the PNW.
Same in the South East, The brand is Tortimasa Corn Flour. They also have the It lists corn has the main ingredient but lists that it is treated with hydrated lime. I need to research the effects.

Checking prices TSC corn is still 1/3 the price the flour or meal. I can get corn a lot cheaper from family but that is 1200 miles away.

BTW stripping run turned out good. From the 26 ltr of beer, I ended up with 3.5 ltr of vodka after proofing down to 45% ABV. Filtered it twice with coconut carbon.

Wife approves of the smell and sample taste. Tasted very clean and smooth. Great mouth feel. I think my wife is starting to like my rum and vodka better then what she has been purchasing.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Bushman wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:16 am believe wheat flour is substituted for corn flour especially in Australia where wheat is easier to obtain
Both sorts are sold here.....you just need to look at the packet/ bag to see what you are buying before you buy it....some is corn....some wheat.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Love the Ferm Solutions Enzymes.

After two abortive attempts, I think I've got a repeatable process starting to come together. With 15 lbs of Corn Meal, 8 gallons of water, and Ferm Solutions Enzymes, I was able to get a 1.063 SG (temp corrected). My fermentation is lagging and I want to see if anyone has some advice. Here are my notes:

15 lbs Corn Meal
8 gallons of water (Ph 8.5)
Enzymes: https://ferm-solutions.net/product-category/enzymes/
AHA-400 Enzyme, 150F-190F, Ph 5.5-6.5, 1.6ml per 1 gallon of mash (8 x 1.6 = 12ml)
GA-150 Enzyme, 90F-110F, Ph 5.5-6.5/Angel GA-150 131F-140F, Ph 3.0-5.0, .8ml per gallon of mash (8 x .8 = 4.8ml)
Yeast: Ferm Solutions FSI-917 yeast
Using an Anvil Foundry (10.5 gallon) as my cooker.

Saturday, October 16, 2022
09:51: Add 8 gallons of water (PH 8.5) to Anvil Foundry. Actual Temp: 67F, Target Temp: 200F, Power: 99%, Will add corn meal at 200F.
12:00: Actual Temp: 200F, Target Temp: 180F, Power: 99%, Added Corn and stir using paint stirrer and drill
13:00: Actual Temp: 184F, Target Temp: 180F, Power: 99%, Ph = 6.6. Added 2 spoonfuls of Citric Acid. Stirred. Added 12ml of AHA-400, WOW, did it liquefy.
13:28: Actual Temp: 176F, Target Temp: 0F, Power: 0%, Stir
15:26: Actual Temp: 135F, Ph=4.0, Added 7ml of GA-150. Conversion started
Overnite rest with lid on.

Sunday, October 16, 2021
09:00 Temp 90F, Collected ~7 gallons of wort (squeeze corn meal with paint mesh and mop wringer), SG: 1.061, Temp 83.3, SG (Temp corrected): 1.063 (whoo hoo), Ph 4.0. Using 10 gallon Brut as initial fermenter with towel over the top (no lid). This is how I usually start all my fermentations and then move it to a BB/FM with an airlock when activity slows. Added a heating pad to Brut.
11:56: Temp 85F, Added ½ cup oyster shells in muslin bag, Re-hydrated 10 grams of Ferm Solutions FSI-917 yeast, pitched after 20 mins (first time using)
Started a starter, 300 ml 85F water, 100 ml wort, 30 grams of Ferm Solutions FSI-917 yeast

Monday, October 17, 2021
8:45 82F, No activity, Ph = 4.0, Starter was active and added it to mash.
14:30 84F, Very little activity. Added 5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (DAP) and 4 tsp Yeast Energizer.
17:00 82.4F, A few bubbles, but very slow. Ph = 4.5

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Opus
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

An update:

Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Temp has bounced between 91-94 today. I see some bubbles coming up and I can see a ton of what I call sprinkle activity on the surface. I'm not seeing any type of cap or vigorous fermentation activity like I'm used to with sugar washes and DADY/EC1118.
18:00: Ph = 4.5, Temp = 90F, SG = 1.001 (corrected). Checked it with 2 hydrometers and 1 refractometer and they range from 1.001-1.005. Either the FS 917 is really fast or my initial SG was wrong and I was pretty sure of the first reading.
Going to get it under and airlock tonight in a 7 gal Fermonster and monitor for the next week.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:D Have you stuck your finger in it and tasted it?
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Temp: 81F. Racked it this morning and tasted. Definitely not sweet any more like it was when I initially collected it. I didn't do the starch iodine test on Sunday, but was able to see and taste the sweet wort from the conversion. Will add the iodine test to the process for the next attempt.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Well, this has been a much better experience than my first 2 AG efforts which I easily classified as failures.

Did the spirit run today to see if there was actually alcohol in my Booner's mash.
Fermentation: SG: 1.063, FG: 1.001 = 8.14%
6 gallon boiler charge for my 8 gallon SS still with a 2in (24") column and a 2000w electric element.
I managed to pull off 107 oz (63% starting - 30% ending) during the 5 hour run.

I was amazed with the taste of the heart samples during the run.

I have the jars covered and airing out and will blend and start some aging efforts tomorrow.

Think I need to do this again to confirm the process before moving on to something like the Honey Bear Bourbon recipe.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Today I finished the Spirit run on my 3rd and final mash of all corn. This week I'll select from the 26 jars and blend everything with the collection from the first two ferments, and have more than enough to fill a 5 gallon barrel.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

On average, how long did it take for for each of your mashes to fully ferment?
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Whitecap72 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:56 am On average, how long did it take for for each of your mashes to fully ferment?
Mine are normally done in 3 to 5 days for this.

B
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Ok, mine is nice and clear on top been 5 days now and yeast is slowly bubbling still. Am only able to keep it at about 74 degrees.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Whitecap72 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:13 am
Am only able to keep it at about 74 degrees.

Are you using a yeast that is comfortable at that temperature ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Yes, it's actually done fermenting now. I'm gonna run it through my converted keg still tomorrow.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Ok, so I have some mash fermenting. Been 4 days. 30 lbs pounds of cracked corn that I fan through a food processor to make meal out of it, 15 gallons of spring water, 2 lbs of malted barley I had from a beer run. Used the liquid enzymes according to the recipe posted followed to the T. Dady yeast etc. Had a good cap of spent corn on top this morning and knocked it down to fill the tube to check percentage. Currently it's at 1.0 which is very weak. I'm guessing after only 4 days it needs longer fermentation? The mash temp in my vessel averages between 80 to 90 degrees. Any thoughts by you guys, Grain is new to me.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Whitecap72 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:59 am Ok, so I have some mash fermenting. Been 4 days. 30 lbs pounds of cracked corn that I fan through a food processor to make meal out of it, 15 gallons of spring water, 2 lbs of malted barley I had from a beer run. Used the liquid enzymes according to the recipe posted followed to the T. Dady yeast etc. Had a good cap of spent corn on top this morning and knocked it down to fill the tube to check percentage. Currently it's at 1.0 which is very weak. I'm guessing after only 4 days it needs longer fermentation? The mash temp in my vessel averages between 80 to 90 degrees. Any thoughts by you guys, Grain is new to me.
How did you check the percentage? And what %? If you are at 1.0 SG you are close done. Your original SG minus your final SG will give you your % ABV. But if you are trying to measure % ABV in beer you have the wrong tool.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

I'm using a SG hydrometer, not a Tralle/proof hydrometer. To tell you the truth I didn't check it when I first started the mash. Yeast was really happy as I could see it working. The first batch I did of this recipe I distilled was really weak as I used powdered enzymes instead of hi temp liquid so i dont think the starches converted.All in all everything looks and smells good and I planned on distilling it tomorrow at 5 days. Was just curious and wanted others info on the 1.0 SG.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Whitecap72 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:43 am I'm using a SG hydrometer, not a Tralle/proof hydrometer. To tell you the truth I didn't check it when I first started the mash. Yeast was really happy as I could see it working. The first batch I did of this recipe I distilled was really weak as I used powdered enzymes instead of hi temp liquid so i dont think the starches converted.All in all everything looks and smells good and I planned on distilling it tomorrow at 5 days. Was just curious and wanted others info on the 1.0 SG.
Starting gravity is not checked when a mash is first started. Following starch conversion, SG is taken to measure the amount of fermentable sugar available to the yeast and to formulate potential alcohol and brewhouse efficiency. Its helpful to have a starting (SG) and finishing (FG) gravity to calculate these and to identify opportunities for improvement in your processes.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

If you are reading an FG SG of 1.000 you are done. A day or 2 will give 0.99x prolly. But since you do not have a OG SG you can not have a measured (potential) % ABV. Best that you can do is to calculate from the ppg of maize and barley. But that is all academic at this point. RUN AND BE DONE. I am certain you will be happy.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Awesome, ill run ot tomorrow! I do have a proofing hydrometer but I thought yiu could only measure percentage after distilling?
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Whitecap72 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 am Awesome, ill run ot tomorrow! I do have a proofing hydrometer but I thought yiu could only measure percentage after distilling?
Yes, a proofing hydrometer will only measure spirits.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Not so sure it's done, just looked at it and yeast is bubbling pretty good still.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Satsumi,, glad I listened to you. On my 3rd jar out at 120 proof! Pot still and condenser are working great. Cold and clear. Next is a thumper build to the addition.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

This stuff tastes like butter popcorn. Good grief. One dimensional but so delicious
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

RockinRockies wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:36 pm This stuff tastes like butter popcorn. Good grief. One dimensional but so delicious
That will fade along with the sweetness after about a month.. Also the cream corn you get becomes more overpowered form the earthiness of the grain typically. Be careful of tails going too far can make it take so much longer to age.. Tasty stuff though

One the better whiskeys white with a few jars form the hearts. and less than 2 weeks old!

B
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

Sorry Lads, I can't find it on here. I am using powdered glucoamylase from here: https://www.northstills.com/product/glu ... zyme-500g/

How much of the powder do I use per lb of corn?

The first attempt I used about 4 tbsp for 12 gall H2O/18 lbs corn and only got about 3.3% abv.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Walshie wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 am Sorry Lads, I can't find it on here. I am using powdered glucoamylase from here: https://www.northstills.com/product/glu ... zyme-500g/

How much of the powder do I use per lb of corn?

The first attempt I used about 4 tbsp for 12 gall H2O/18 lbs corn and only got about 3.3% abv.
Ask northstills for the datasheet on the product. I suspect you might need a high temp alpha to help break up the starch and liquefy it so the beta enzymes can convert starch to sugar.

Time Ph and temp are very important and Booners relays on the high temp alpha to help break down the corn so the low temp enzymes can convert the starch to sugar.

B
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

Yes, I used both a high and low temp enzyme. The high had a dosage on the bag, the low didn't.

Sent an email a while ago to North Stills without response so I thought I would try here.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Walshie wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:28 am
The high had a dosage on the bag, the low didn't.

Sent an email a while ago to North Stills without response so I thought I would try here.

I'll be surprised if North Stills responds with a clearer instruction than what is available from this package ...

Depending on fermentation, subtract and target ABV%. Grain/corn is typically 5.10g.hL. Bench trials are always recommended for new pilot fermentations.

1300 (2).png

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

bitter wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:59 am
RockinRockies wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:36 pm This stuff tastes like butter popcorn. Good grief. One dimensional but so delicious
That will fade along with the sweetness after about a month.. Also the cream corn you get becomes more overpowered form the earthiness of the grain typically. Be careful of tails going too far can make it take so much longer to age.. Tasty stuff though

One the better whiskeys white with a few jars form the hearts. and less than 2 weeks old!

B
I went tight with cuts, bottled it, and it still tasted the same 6 months later. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was amazing and delicious, but was always I've buttered popcorn jelly belly flavor. That's it.

I'll likely add 5% of my unmalted rye to give it a slight dimension and still go tight