Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks. That sounds absolutely yummy. It makes sense to use baker's yeast for vodka, which will be on my list when the weather starts to warm up. I gotta make summa this.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
ChefJohn
Novice

Post by ChefJohn »

After running through my first batch of the recipe I listed above, then racking, then straining out any solids left, I was left with about 3 pounds of “meal” that did not dissolve. Would you think this stuff has any redeeming value for the next batch? I’m sure it still has some viable yeast in the trub, as well as spent yeast cells for nutrients... or should I just dump it and do a fresh batch for the next go?
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I recently squeezed out my batch of AG rice and was pondering the same thing. I decided to simply pitch it out back and not bother keeping any.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'd bottle some as an ingredient for marinades. Should be acidic enough and high enough ABV to keep but you may want to pasteurize it too.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

FL Brewer wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 am Put it on new charred oak (old JD barrel, old char scraped off, toasted at 400F for an hour, alligator charred with propane torch after the wood had completely cooled, rinsed with water, two sticks each gallon jug 8 x 3/4 x 1/2 inch) last night. It already has a slight color this morning. Also saved one 750 ml bottle of white dog at 60%, just to see how the rice flavor develops independently of the charred oak. I will update the thread in a few months when I sample it. I'm planning to leave it on oak for a year, my bourbon seems to be good at the one year on wood point.
Hey FL, it's been over a year. How did this rice whiskey turn out??? :D
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Hey FL, it's been over a year. How did this rice whiskey turn out??? :D
Very, very nice, this is a once a year batch for me now. I first sampled a year after the spirit run, and it is very smooth, a slight flowery aroma and flavor. It was probably good even before the year was up, but I waited to sample it for that long. Using the new oak made it pretty dark, and I thought I messed up by over oaking, but it tastes nice, the oak doesn't overpower the mild rice flavor. I removed the oak after about 6 months, the rest of the aging was done with about a teaspoon of activated carbon in each gallon jug of 120 proof.

If you like the sweet, mild, flowery flavor of rice, this makes a damn fine whiskey. A few of my friends say this is my best whiskey.... I don't know if I agree, but it sure is good.

Sorry for the long delay in replying, haven't been on this site for a while till the last couple days.
Last edited by FL Brewer on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

BTW, all my whiskey now gets a single 8 x 3/4 x 3/4 or so oak stick. I can leave it in for the full aging time, don't have to pull it out. Live and learn......
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Oh yeah, the white dog. Very, very smooth and mild (that's what I like about rice), but obviously without the oak complexity. The flowery rice flavor and aroma stand out more than it does in the oak aged stuff. The vodka lovers that have tasted it think it's great, I prefer the oaked version.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Hi guys, Ive made 2 x 20 litre batches of this using angel yellow yeast which contains the enzymes already in the yeast. Ive stripped the 3 washes with my pot still and I’m about to do a spirit run but not sure if i should use my pot still or reflux still. Reading many of the posts here some have used a pot still and some a reflux. I know a reflux will give me a cleaner product built wont it strip out the flavour I want in this vodka?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Truman50 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:28 am I know a reflux will give me a cleaner product built wont it strip out the flavour I want in this vodka?
By definition, a vodka, or neutral, is colorless and flavorless. If you want a heavy (whiskey) rice flavor, pot still it. You may have to do this a few times to get the profile you're looking for.

If you want a neutral with a delicate hint of rice flavor, reflux it to a slightly lower ABV. Based on your kit, YMMV. Repeated testing required. :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Twice through a pot still w/thumper attached, makes a good gin base, or sippin'/mixin' "vodka".
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:11 am
Truman50 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:28 am I know a reflux will give me a cleaner product built wont it strip out the flavour I want in this vodka?

If you want a neutral with a delicate hint of rice flavor, reflux it to a slightly lower ABV. Based on your kit, YMMV. Repeated testing required. :mrgreen:
How do I reflux it with a slightly lower abv? My reflux still has a .6mm jet and a 1mm jet. Should I use the 1mm jet and full power?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Truman50 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:19 pm How do I reflux it with a slightly lower abv? My reflux still has a .6mm jet and a 1mm jet. Should I use the 1mm jet and full power?
With that type of still you would use the biggest nozzel /jet......maybe try lower power first time around.......if not happy try running more power on the next run.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:13 pm
Truman50 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:19 pm How do I reflux it with a slightly lower abv? My reflux still has a .6mm jet and a 1mm jet. Should I use the 1mm jet and full power?
With that type of still you would use the biggest nozzel /jet......maybe try lower power first time around.......if not happy try running more power on the next run.
Ok cheers will give that a go tonight and see how it goes.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Trying for some Rice Whiskey, using just Rice, Koji and Sake Yeast.

5# of Rice, didn't steam well, ended up just cooking it in pots, over-cooked it I reckon, made more of a glue-paste than anything. The 5# of rice, plus #1.5 of Koji Rice damn near filled the bucket. - Should I still shoot for 2#/Gallon ratio? Not sure It will all fit.

Anyways it cooled to pitching temps overnight, since I'm using Koji for the enzymes instead of liquid enzymes, I did not get a SG reading, and I am hopeful the Koji Enzymes helps to thin the mash out, and over time I actually get a wash, it seems damn closer to a solid than a liquid. Added 2 cups of water to it when I added the yeast/Koji, to help distribute/mix, and it seemed enough to turn it into more like a slime.

Anyways, its gelantinized, over cooked rice. But is that a bad thing? The enzymes are added later via Koji anyways.

The idea was to step-mash, and after 1-2 weeks, add the 2nd batch of rice. Not sure that will take place anymore.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
the fojizzle
Novice

Post by the fojizzle »

Hey guys, new to this. Looking to do a 5gallon run of this. I’m horrible with conversions. Anyone able to break down for me how much of each ingredient I’d need in imperial values? Such as rice/water/yeast/etc. thank you ahead of time
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

the fojizzle wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:39 pm I’m horrible with conversions.
This hobby involves a fair bit of very simple elementary math, converting, scaling, proofing, etc. There are also various apps and web sites which can do a lot of it for you. I STRONGLY advise you to get comfortable with one or the other, because you don’t want to rely on someone else to do all your homework for you, and you’ll get far better results if you take the time to make sure you get it right.

I promise, if you can manage to post here, you’re plenty smart enough to handle the math. All you need is to believe that you can and have a reason to try. Seems like this is a good reason.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »