Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by Bradster68 »

TwoSheds wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:32 am Here are some numbers from my most recent TFFV over 7 days (including the OG.) On day 7 I took the heat off and will rest it for a week before stripping.

Day 1: 1.058 (SG)
Day 3: 1.023
Day 5: 0.992
Day 7: 0.991

I use an airlock and this is a double batch. It was very active within hours of pitching the (baker's) yeast and already slowing down by day 3. By day 5 it was very slow and I probably could have called it done then.

So yeah, this recipe definitely earns the 'fast' in the name!
I'm on my 7th batch of this and am getting my 4 day consistency. .990 everytime.
I add 2 multi vits and my teaspoons are heaping.
Add 2 juiced lemons
I'm guessing my water is why there is some tweaking,but this is a T&T so there wasn't much thinking at my end.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Thanks all for the positive comments.

It is actually humbling to see how it has been so widely accepted.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

TwoSheds wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:32 am Day 5: 0.992
Day 7: 0.991
It was very active within hours of pitching the (baker's) yeast and already slowing down by day 3. By day 5 it was very slow and I probably could have called it done then.
So yeah, this recipe definitely earns the 'fast' in the name!
You're right, I used to make threefold batches, (70 litres) and reached the 1.000 level after only four days. Actually, the recipe deserves a new acronym, TVFFV ! As it is difficult to move 70 litres, I decant the whole thing into four 25-litre PET carboys and let it settle for two to three days before distilling.
Frankly speaking, I'm impressed by the accuracy of your measures 0.992 and 0.991...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Garouda wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:34 pm You're right, I used to make threefold batches, (70 litres) and reached the 1.000 level after only four days. Actually, the recipe deserves a new acronym, TVFFV ! As it is difficult to move 70 litres, I decant the whole thing into four 25-litre PET carboys and let it settle for two to three days before distilling.
Frankly speaking, I'm impressed by the accuracy of your measures 0.992 and 0.991...
Or TFFFV if we want to be crass...

I can't say that my readings are totally accurate squinting and trying to get an idea where the meniscus ends from a weird angle before enough CO2 bubbles hop on to ruin the measurement, but I try to be consistent and always adjust for temp.
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

Hi all. Have distilled a lot of cheap wine already, since this is cheap around here, almost as so cheap as sugar. Absolute beginner in making a mesh. Have a 60l barrel now and the first one was the birdwather. It took a month to get to 8-9 abv, but to be fair, I did not follow instructions exactly. Not bad anyway. Now I am doing this one. This time, I did follow it strictly. Even got a bett heater with thermostat, did 36h without covering, pinched yeast (fresh bakers) and all the rest. As per recipe but 2 x. Thing is that it's still bubbling as if there is no tomorrow. Why is it the bubbling after 6 days?
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

If it's bubbling, it means something is in progress within your wash ! Is it fizzing like a glass of coke ? Hopefully yes !
If there are large bubbles with scum like a Krausen, this may indicate an acetic infection (acetobacter transforming ethanol into vinegar)
Anyway, you should use a hydrometer and measure the SG.
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

20220305_130606.jpg
Hey yawl. Just noticed today one of my TFFVODKA has some blue clouds floating in it. This is from a spirit run in my pot still and closer to tails but up around 40abv. This is the only jar out of about 10 litres from the run. Iv done lots of reading and some say all blue distilate might be from copper being stripped from an aggressive wash. Has anyone else experienced this, could it be an infected jar? They've been sterilized in dishwasher as soon as I bought them. .
20220305_130543.jpg
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I started a triple batch of this. 12kg of sugar in a 20 gal or so fermenter. It's right full anyway. I need a bunch of pure 95% for some fortified port wine I'm planning to make.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:12 am 20220305_130606.jpgHey yawl. Just noticed today one of my TFFVODKA has some blue clouds floating in it. This is from a spirit run in my pot still and closer to tails but up around 40abv. This is the only jar out of about 10 litres from the run. Iv done lots of reading and some say all blue distilate might be from copper being stripped from an aggressive wash. Has anyone else experienced this, could it be an infected jar? They've been sterilized in dishwasher as soon as I bought them. . 20220305_130543.jpg
There are two reasons for this
1. some copper parts of your still need to be cleaned
2. due to cold t° some heavy alcohols are condensing, which indicates that you mixed heavy tails with your hearts.
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:33 am I started a triple batch of this. 12 kg of sugar in a 20 gal or so fermenter. It's right full anyway. I need a bunch of pure 95% for some fortified port wine I'm planning to make.
You are on the right path, providing you can be patient during your spirit run. What kind of still are you using ?
By the way, port is a fortified wine by definition, but real port is made by adding wine brandy to the fermenting wine.
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I know real port is made using white brandy but that would be cost prohibitive for me. I don’t have access to cheap grapes or wine. I figured 95% would dilute less. I also think I’ll get a better flavor than pushing the yeast to tolerance around 18% in the wine.

I have two stills. Both are pot stills. One is an air still and one is an alembic still. I’m planning on building a reflux column for the alembic but I have to either get a matching union or change the coupling. I’ve broken some guidelines and ran higher than 40% before too.
CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Post by CaptMorgan »

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:12 am 20220305_130606.jpgHey yawl. Just noticed today one of my TFFVODKA has some blue clouds floating in it. This is from a spirit run in my pot still and closer to tails but up around 40abv. This is the only jar out of about 10 litres from the run. Iv done lots of reading and some say all blue distilate might be from copper being stripped from an aggressive wash. Has anyone else experienced this, could it be an infected jar? They've been sterilized in dishwasher as soon as I bought them. . 20220305_130543.jpg
I have noticed these "jellyfish" in some of my stripping runs also, more in the later jars with tails. They seem to not affect the quality of the distillate or the final product quality after a spirit run.

I just ran a stripping run of this yesterday. I collected down to 42% in my final pint jar which was much deeper into tails than i usually run. This was a fast stripping run of 8 gallons on my boka reflux still. I will report back if i start seeing jellyfish show up. The blue i saw before was just a faint tinge. I rinse my column and packing after each run and keep everything very clean.

I won't do a spirit run on this until late fall.
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Is anyone else finding bran hard to find? had to go to 4 different stores before finding some it use to be easy to find in the cereal aisle.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Canuckwoods wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:25 pm Is anyone else finding bran hard to find? had to go to 4 different stores before finding some it use to be easy to find in the cereal aisle.
I also had trouble finding bran. I went to at least 4 stores. I accidentally bought some germ instead and ended up using a mix. I saw a recipe for using germ anyway. I didn't think it would be a significant difference.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:51 pm
Canuckwoods wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:25 pm Is anyone else finding bran hard to find? had to go to 4 different stores before finding some it use to be easy to find in the cereal aisle.
I also had trouble finding bran. I went to at least 4 stores. I accidentally bought some germ instead and ended up using a mix. I saw a recipe for using germ anyway. I didn't think it would be a significant difference.
Yup, I reported this last year and I blame Ted and his TTFV!
Can't get wheat bran but can get oat bran so used that instead. Works well for me as I use my spirit for gin and limoncello, the flavour doesnt really come through into those.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Bulk barn here in Canada sell white and red wheat bran, very cheap too
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

CaptMorgan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:02 am
I have noticed these "jellyfish" in some of my stripping runs also, more in the later jars with tails. They seem to not affect the quality of the distillate or the final product quality after a spirit run.

I just ran a stripping run of this yesterday. I collected down to 42% in my final pint jar which was much deeper into tails than i usually run. This was a fast stripping run of 8 gallons on my boka reflux still. I will report back if i start seeing jellyfish show up. The blue i saw before was just a faint tinge. I rinse my column and packing after each run and keep everything very clean.

I won't do a spirit run on this until late fall.
I'll be keeping an eye also trying to determine what's causing.
I'm gonna do another good cleaning to make sure.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:51 pm I accidentally bought some germ instead and ended up using a mix. I saw a recipe for using germ anyway. I didn't think it would be a significant difference.
Actually it does make a difference the germ contains a different part of the wheat ( separated during milling), makes a different flavour and hence that is why the bran was selected
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Teddysad wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:27 pm
hawkwing wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:51 pm I accidentally bought some germ instead and ended up using a mix. I saw a recipe for using germ anyway. I didn't think it would be a significant difference.
Actually it does make a difference the germ contains a different part of the wheat ( separated during milling), makes a different flavour and hence that is why the bran was selected

Hopefully it’s not a bad flavor. It intend to filter through carbon anyway so hopefully it won’t matter much. Next time I won’t make that mistake.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

In my home country, I used to mix some bran with my horses' food. I think chicken do also eat it. Just ask, and you will find some, here where I live, we grow rice, so I'm using rice bran, and it's perfect...
I do not bother about flavour, my still (VM) produces neutral even if I fermented molasses ! Flavour comes with tails, so it's up to you !
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:38 am
Teddysad wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:27 pm

Hopefully it’s not a bad flavor. It intend to filter through carbon anyway so hopefully it won’t matter much. Next time I won’t make that mistake.
Why carbon filter? I will leave it to the experts to opine but I think carbon filter is something you do once when you are a complete novice and then abandon once you have learnt a little more about the art.

As a rule I would think that focussing on getting the best alcohol from your entire process including ferment, strip and then spirit and you wont need a carbon filter.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Jimbeamfreak wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:15 pm I love this recipe im on my second 100L and 200L washes
I get up to 3l @ 94% when i run a 30 litre wash through my Boka
This looks like you aren't cutting any heads or tails? Is that safe?
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

Wee tip of the hat to Teddy from me since I have used his recipe today for the first time to get a wash on. I will admit to using lactic rather than citric acid, and I will also admit to replacing DAP, salts and vit Tablet with 150 of Still Spirits light nutrient, since I'm that stuff is expensive and I happened to have a bottle in my inventory.

Cheers teddy
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Lights Out wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:26 am Wee tip of the hat to Teddy from me since I have used his recipe today for the first time to get a wash on. I will admit to using lactic rather than citric acid, and I will also admit to replacing DAP, salts and vit Tablet with 150 of Still Spirits light nutrient, since I'm that stuff is expensive and I happened to have a bottle in my inventory.

Cheers teddy
It's a great recipe. Simple and rewarding. What more could you ask for. 🍻
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

Bradster68 wrote:
Lights Out wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:26 am Wee tip of the hat to Teddy from me since I have used his recipe today for the first time to get a wash on. I will admit to using lactic rather than citric acid, and I will also admit to replacing DAP, salts and vit Tablet with 150 of Still Spirits light nutrient, since I'm that stuff is expensive and I happened to have a bottle in my inventory.

Cheers teddy
It's a great recipe. Simple and rewarding. What more could you ask for. [emoji482]
Yeah I sort of happened across my best vodka so far when distilling a wash that had used some backset from a wheat run to dissolve the sugar, and it also had some whisky feints in it. It was better than an all wheat vodka I made so I am currently working on the theory that I will get the result I want from using a sugar wash with some grain influence. Theres also the bonus of time saving opposed to an AG mash.

I also must admit to not doing much in the way of cuts on my reflux still so for my first run of FFV I am going to run into my smaller jars and have a good rake through them to see how good I can can get it.

I do tend to get 94-95% though so I wonder whether I will be able to distinguish much at all......
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Lights Out wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:38 am
Bradster68 wrote:

Cheers teddy
It's a great recipe. Simple and rewarding. What more could you ask for. [emoji482]
Yeah I sort of happened across my best vodka so far when distilling a wash that had used some backset from a wheat run to dissolve the sugar, and it also had some whisky feints in it. It was better than an all wheat vodka I made so I am currently working on the theory that I will get the result I want from using a sugar wash with some grain influence. Theres also the bonus of time saving opposed to an AG mash.

I also must admit to not doing much in the way of cuts on my reflux still so for my first run of FFV I am going to run into my smaller jars and have a good rake through them to see how good I can can get it.

I do tend to get 94-95% though so I wonder whether I will be able to distinguish much at all......
It's interesting what blending does before distilling and after. I got lots to learn yet.
And I'm sipping on some teds and quava juice as we speak .
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:54 am
Jimbeamfreak wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:15 pm I love this recipe im on my second 100L and 200L washes
I get up to 3l @ 94% when i run a 30 litre wash through my Boka
This looks like you aren't cutting any heads or tails? Is that safe?
Its a good point but I would ask if that includes the heads and tails etc, he/she/him/her could be making the cuts but that be the total volume. Fores and heads are only a small fraction of the total, less than 100ml?

That is only a little more volume than I get from my column, including the fores, heads, tails, and sometimes a bit of the tails finds its way back into the final product....
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

After 6 batches of this stripped I had enough to do a spirit run and wow what a great natural. They should remove all the other sugar washes from tnt
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Canuckwoods wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:21 am After 6 batches of this stripped I had enough to do a spirit run and wow what a great natural. They should remove all the other sugar washes from tnt
Not Shadys Sugar Shine though . :ewink:
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

What's the difference between the two? Namely the end product but also other relevant differences that would help pick one over the other?