Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by Bradster68 »

howie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:32 pm i think it improves if left longer.
i seem to get get more from the strip and better quality.
i'm in no rush any more with good stocks, so a wash can be left for 10-14 days at least.
the wash is quite clear and the trub bed is pretty solid.
FFV wash.jpg
That's exactly what I noticed. And my stock is growing, so its great to not have to rush things. The gods on this forum are correct. Patience is the key.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
NewStilling
Novice

Post by NewStilling »

Has anyone used turbo yeast for this recipe?
I'm going to try the original but would like to know if anyone has tried and if so how did it turn out?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NewStilling wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:58 pm Has anyone used turbo yeast for this recipe?
I'm going to try the original but would like to know if anyone has tried and if so how did it turn out?
I’d say no .
The whole idea of this recipe and any on HD forum is to provide yeast with all the necessary nutrients they require .
Turbo yeast packs contain not only the yeast , but an over abundance of Nutrient's and buffers as they are designed to just add to sugar .

So effectively you would be blanket destroying the subtle nutrients that this wash already has to produce a clean tasting Vodka , …. and replacing it with the usual foul tasting Turbo taste .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A question back at you ................why would you?........The recipes on this forum are designed for a lot of reasons.....one of those reasons is that they work very, very well as they are.........another is that most people here would never use Turbo Yeast as it is an inferior product that gives inferior results. Dont tell your local HBS salesperson that I told you that lol.
The difference between him and I is that he wants the money in your pocket, I don't want anything from you.
Edit ....typing while Yummy was.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:38 am A question back at you ................why would you?........The recipes on this forum are designed for a lot of reasons.....one of those reasons is that they work very, very well as they are.........another is that most people here would never use Turbo Yeast as it is an inferior product that gives inferior results. Dont tell your local HBS salesperson that I told you that lol.
The difference between him and I is that he wants the money in your pocket, I don't want anything from you.
Edit ....typing while Yummy was.
Spoken like a true God. 🍻 Bill
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

+1 to what was said above. Bakers is perfect at 80 to 82F is perfect.. Very clean and fast.
At 1.065 I have had this wash done in 3.5 days. My last one went 1.080 (was opps dumped too much sugar by accident) to .98X in 5-6 days

If you do the math..
Turbo at Say 18% takes 2-3 weeks (also have you tested this?)
TSFFV at 10% takes less than a week typically

Now lets look at numbers

100L of turbo @ 18% and you may not get there depending is 18L worth of alcohol in 2 weeks

100L of TSFFV @ 10% will definitely do that and can start one this weekend for next is 10L of potential

The turbo cuts will be less percent to higher waste

TSFFV will had wider cuts

Look at drinking alcohol per week

Turbo is say 45% keeps so .45 * 18 = 8.1L of alcohol and 4.05 Liter per week if lucky and done in 2 weeks but this may not always be true.. and it could be done faster. I have limited experience used turbo 2x for a test and did not like it and took time.
TSFFV is say 60% keeps so .6 * 10L = 6L of alcohol in a week. Will be cleaner and much nicer for drinking also. Now if you stretch TSFFV to 12% and I don't recommend that. your sitting about .6 * 12 = 7.2L (Still be better than the turbo)

Yes you need to run more wash and will be some more strips with TSFFV but its less wasteful and more tasty.

B
NewStilling
Novice

Post by NewStilling »

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of great information. T
1. I have no intention of going off recipe. Just asking a random question.
2. Turbo yeast is the only thing I have used so far for 3 sugar washes.
3. With the videos I've seen on this wash, a bit of the bran flavor can carry over to the product. I was curious if you left everything but the bran and sugar out, and used Turbo would you see similar results?
As for time to ferment I work in camp so my time in between is 2 to 3 weeks away with 10 days off,it limits what I can do with the time I have.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

NewStilling wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:15 pm I was curious if you left everything but the bran and sugar out, and used Turbo would you see similar results?
As for time to ferment I work in camp so my time in between is 2 to 3 weeks away with 10 days off,it limits what I can do with the time I have.
I think your missing the point. Turbo does high percent and throughs lots of sugar yeast and nutrients at the wash to get it to ferment. This is why they advertise 18% but wiht that there is a sacrifice in the quality and quantity if you do cuts as a result

The problem is the high osmotic pressure resulting from a very high amount of sugar. This makes the yeast unhappy and shit in your drink causing off flavors. You could use the wheat bran boiled in your wash but I don't see the point will add some flavor yes. But will likely be overpowered by everything else.

This wash is designed to get nutrients form all the components and 10% max so things stay happy and are fast

B
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

NewStilling wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:15 pm As for time to ferment I work in camp so my time in between is 2 to 3 weeks away with 10 days off,it limits what I can do with the time I have.
That to me seems ideal, put down a Shadys Sugar shine on the day you leave for camp and as long as it's a fairly constant favourable temp range and you've followed the recipe. It should ferment and clear and be ready to strip when you get home, same goes for low temp ferment mashes etc.
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I used Turbos for about a year and didn’t think they were too bad . It wasn’t until I found this site and started making recipes here that I realised how bad the turbos were ( side by side ) .I gave my 5 remaining pacs of Turbo to a mate .

The wheat taste will be overpowered by the turbo pack .

I think Sporicle’s thinking is spot on . If the reasoning to use Turbo is simply to bang out a quick wash while you are home , put the fermentation on so it finishes while you are away . It is quite happy to sit there for weeks and weeks .
It will clear naturally and so you won’t need to use Turbo clear .

In fact pit down a couple of washes while you are away and you will have 10 days to distill them when you get home :thumbup:
schoolmonkey
Novice

Post by schoolmonkey »

So I've mainly been running those Turbo Yeast Prue kits, but after reading through the forums and finding TFFV I thought I'd give it a go.

It's been fermenting longer than the estimated time, around 6 days, it was still bubbling through the airlock last night, but today it's gone quiet, I checked the abv, it was slightly below 1.000, there are still a few soft drink bubbles come up, but not enough to get the airlock going again.

I kept the temps around 24-26c, it's been cooler here, so I used those seedling heat pads, fan and a INKBIRD Temperature Controller, which honestly worked better than I though.

I used Lowan yeast and woolies wheat bran.

Feel like I broke something, but I followed the instructions to the letter.
Don't get me wrong it smells right (that winey smell), just the hydrometers abv is slightly under 1.000, I have had the same with sugar washes, they look like they have stopped, but one more sleep and they were 0.990.
283623329_351882907047719_4493282799740700358_n.jpg
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

schoolmonkey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:50 pm Feel like I broke something, but I followed the instructions to the letter.
Don't get me wrong it smells right (that winey smell), just the hydrometers abv is slightly under 1.000, I have had the same with sugar washes, they look like they have stopped, but one more sleep and they were 0.990.
283623329_351882907047719_4493282799740700358_n.jpg
i know the op says 3-4 days and FG's to look for.
but the yeast is still active cleaning up around the end of a fermentation, and sometimes for a few days days after fermentation has 'finished'.
sit back and relax, stop opening the fermenter. :)
it will clear up on it's own with patience.
TBH i don't usually test anything with this recipe.
i know my water PH, i know the OG with the amount of sugar and i just let it go for about 10 days at least.
(i posted a pic of the wash on page 14)
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:thumbup: With Howie, just leave it alone. That's the hardest thing to do, if the temps right and the recipe is right then it will be done when it's done.
Unfortunately the yeasts and fermentables don't always follow the tried and true recipes :crazy:
Last edited by Sporacle on Sat May 28, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
schoolmonkey
Novice

Post by schoolmonkey »

howie wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:02 pm i know the op says 3-4 days and FG's to look for.
but the yeast is still active cleaning up around the end of a fermentation, and sometimes for a few days days after fermentation has 'finished'.
sit back and relax, stop opening the fermenter. :)
it will clear up on it's own with patience.
TBH i don't usually test anything with this recipe.
i know my water PH, i know the OG with the amount of sugar and i just let it go for about 10 days at least.
(i posted a pic of the wash on page 14)
Yeah it was the first time I checked it, while there was pressure in the airlock it wasn't bubbling thought I'd check it.
Usually I'll leave it for a few days after, but it was my first attempt so I'm still getting the hang of things when it comes to washes like this.

I can knock a turbo pure wash out easily now, but I'll get there, I'll be doing grain mashes in no time :D
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

schoolmonkey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:27 pm I checked it, while there was pressure in the airlock it wasn't bubbling
The most unreliable way to tell if something is fermenting or not is to look at an airlock, lid seals leak, the grommets where airlocks fit to lids leak...relying on bubbles is notoriously unreliable.
Take the lid off and look......stick a finger in and have a taste.....put your ear close and listen for fizzing.
schoolmonkey
Novice

Post by schoolmonkey »

Done, turned out well, did the stripping run, then spirit, yield was a little lower than expected, though I honestly didn't know what I was expecting, I managed to get 3L after diluting to 50% of good tasting neutral.
This was with the base recipe and 4KG's of sugar, I figured that increasing the sugar content will yield more usable alcohol, which I've found in the past using those Turbo Pure kits, instead of using 6KG's of sugar, I used 7KG which I got about 900-1000ML of extra usable spirits over the instructions, takes longer to ferment but worth it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

schoolmonkey wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:03 pm This was with the base recipe and 4KG's of sugar, I figured that increasing the sugar content will yield more usable alcohol, which I've found in the past using those Turbo Pure kits, instead of using 6KG's of sugar, I used 7KG which I got about 900-1000ML of extra usable spirits over the instructions, takes longer to ferment but worth it.
The whole point of the recipes on this forum is that they use less sugar , which in turn gives a better product. No one around here is busting to make quantity, they are all much happier making quality.
Adding more sugar achieves one thing ......an inferior product.
Its also why we all steer clear of Turdbo Yeast.
schoolmonkey
Novice

Post by schoolmonkey »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:20 pm The whole point of the recipes on this forum is that they use less sugar , which in turn gives a better product. No one around here is busting to make quantity, they are all much happier making quality.
Adding more sugar achieves one thing ......an inferior product.
Its also why we all steer clear of Turdbo Yeast.
Going in semi blind I didn't know what to expect in yield honestly, the quality is top notch, after reading through this thread more, I completely understand why people are doing 100L lots, which has now put at 100L fermenter at the top of my buy list :lol:

Plus I love how easy the cleanup is over turdo yeast and the black carbon :D
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

I have a 100L fermenter, it does not mean I'm making 100L batches. Ted's basic recipe is for 23L, I usually just multiply by three let's say 69 litres, rounded up to 70 litres... In fact the maximum could be 4x so 92 L, could give it a try as I never experienced foaming neither in the still nor in the fermenter with this recipe, and anyhow, I have more than 30cm free space above my 100L boiler.(Ø8" --> Ø6" reduction plus Ø6" --> Ø3" reduction) I'm using baker's yeast and aim at being below 10% ABV.
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
schoolmonkey
Novice

Post by schoolmonkey »

Garouda wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:11 am I have a 100L fermenter, it does not mean I'm making 100L batches. Ted's basic recipe is for 23L, I usually just multiply by three let's say 69 litres, rounded up to 70 litres... In fact the maximum could be 4x so 92 L, could give it a try as I never experienced foaming neither in the still nor in the fermenter with this recipe, and anyhow, I have more than 30cm free space above my 100L boiler.(Ø8" --> Ø6" reduction plus Ø6" --> Ø3" reduction) I'm using baker's yeast and aim at being below 10% ABV.
Good point, I do have 2x30L Fermenters, I could just get a 3rd, once all stripping runs are done, combine into one spirit run, would be a little more manageable overall.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

schoolmonkey wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:17 am Good point, I do have 2x30L Fermenters, I could just get a 3rd, once all stripping runs are done, combine into one spirit run, would be a little more manageable overall.
In general this is the suggested and optimal route to volume production. If you want to make more, ferment more.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Eckardt M
Novice

Post by Eckardt M »

Kareltje wrote:I am going to spiritrun some Teddy's (beresnelle) bearlyfast running wodka tomorrow.
I put the bran, salts, eggeshells in one pan and boil it.
Put the sugar and the lemonjuice in another pan and boil it. (hoping the sugar will be inverted partially)
Put some water with a lot of air in a vessel, add the branmash, a vitaminpill, the sugarsolution and fill up with a spray of water.
Then sprinkle the dry yeast over the fluid and keep it at 24 degr C.

Apart from the amount of sugar (1.75 kg) and the total amount of wash (1 L) I only measure the other ingredients to divide my purchases of bran (350 gr) and lemonjuice (200 ml) in four parts.

Double the yeast does not halve the fermenting time. Giving the yeast time and opportunity (food and oxygen) to multiply does.
Good day Kareltjie, hope all is well on your side.

What is the eggshells for? What does it contribute towards?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Eckardt M wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:05 am
Kareltje wrote:I am going to spiritrun some Teddy's (beresnelle) bearlyfast running wodka tomorrow.
I put the bran, salts, eggeshells in one pan and boil it.
Put the sugar and the lemonjuice in another pan and boil it. (hoping the sugar will be inverted partially)
Put some water with a lot of air in a vessel, add the branmash, a vitaminpill, the sugarsolution and fill up with a spray of water.
Then sprinkle the dry yeast over the fluid and keep it at 24 degr C.

Apart from the amount of sugar (1.75 kg) and the total amount of wash (1 L) I only measure the other ingredients to divide my purchases of bran (350 gr) and lemonjuice (200 ml) in four parts.

Double the yeast does not halve the fermenting time. Giving the yeast time and opportunity (food and oxygen) to multiply does.
Good day Kareltjie, hope all is well on your side.

What is the eggshells for? What does it contribute towards?
Eggshells are for the same purpose as oyster grit: to stabilise the pH a bit and prevent it from crashing down.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Frankly speaking, it's more dangerous to have a too high pH than the opposite... So do not put anything like oyster shells or eggshells without knowing your water pH... Yeasts like an acid environment...and the contamination of your wash by undesirable microorganisms (bacteria) is facilitated by high pH values…
I would say your pH would be in a range between 3.5 and 5... Do not forget that your pH follows a logarithmic scale...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Garouda wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:36 am Frankly speaking, it's more dangerous to have a too high pH than the opposite... So do not put anything like oyster shells or eggshells without knowing your water pH... Yeasts like an acid environment...and the contamination of your wash by undesirable microorganisms (bacteria) is facilitated by high pH values…
Maybe you would like to start a thread elsewhere on the forum on the subject of the dangers of high PH and undesirable micro organisms? .
I'm sure that people will be very interested to read/hear more.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I’ve just done three fast ferments of UJSSM sugar washes with the pH hovering around 6, no attempt to adjust pH either way, no flavor or speed problems, no added nutrients, probably ignored 90% of the advice I’ve read on the forum and just kept the fermenter at the yeast’s ideal temperature.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:47 am
Garouda wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:36 am Frankly speaking, it's more dangerous to have a too high pH than the opposite... So do not put anything like oyster shells or eggshells without knowing your water pH... Yeasts like an acid environment...and the contamination of your wash by undesirable microorganisms (bacteria) is facilitated by high pH values…
Maybe you would like to start a thread elsewhere on the forum on the subject of the dangers of high PH and undesirable microorganisms? .
I'm sure that people will be very interested to read/hear more.
Well, in fact, I've said the essential, except an answer to NZChr a pH of 6 is still OK, providing you have been very careful to keep all your vessels clean, but definitely a pH below 5 should be the target, the ideal value being 4.5 for a sugar wash, it's a bit long to explain why (role of β-d-Glucosidase enzymes)...
This topic is about a sugar wash, but if you want a grain based alcohol, (α & β-amylases), the target would be 5.5 (5.2 to 5.7 to be more precise).
Last edited by Garouda on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Iv been messing around making booze for almost a year now. This site has proved with out a doubt the place we're I gather 90% of my info. My sugar washes are bang on everytime now. Not to sound conceited but I'm a pro at it🤣 and its because I use a TFF from the "tried and true". And because of my success rate I don't listen to anything anyone has to say about try this or try that to Ted's recipe. I guess I'll be the broken record and say it again. "FOLLOW THE RECIPE ". Sure it's nice to play around and do your own testing. But if you want success everytime. Shop in the tried and true. Thanks to everyone who's got a recipe in their...🍻
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:53 am I'm a pro at it🤣 and its because I use a TFF from the "tried and true". And because of my success rate, I don't listen to anything anyone has to say about try this or try that to Ted's recipe.
Wise decision, I tried other recipes to open the scope of my experience, as I wrote somewhere earlier, this recipe is bulletproof !
We had to fight to convince the admins to add TFFV to the tried and trued recipes, now it's done.
So far I'm concerned, I'm not going to use any other recipes for a neutral, my only sin is due to my location, I use rice bran instead of wheat bran, and it works ! My VM still produces a neutral even from a molasses wash, so why bother about wheat or rice taste ?
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Garouda wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:55 am
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:53 am I'm a pro at it🤣 and its because I use a TFF from the "tried and true". And because of my success rate, I don't listen to anything anyone has to say about try this or try that to Ted's recipe.
Wise decision, I tried other recipes to open the scope of my experience, as I wrote somewhere earlier, this recipe is bulletproof !
We had to fight to convince the admins to add TFFV to the tried and trued recipes, now it's done.
So far I'm concerned, I'm not going to use any other recipes for a neutral, my only sin is due to my location, I use rice bran instead of wheat bran, and it works ! My VM still produces a neutral even from a molasses wash, so why bother about wheat or rice taste ?
Exactly. I love this one for the wheat taste. Subtle and sweet. But like I said it's fun to play around, so I will definitely be trying 2 more recipes I see in the T&T. SHADYS AND WINEOS. Interesting about the molasses wash. I pay alot for molasses, so I save that for my SBBs. Sugar for me and wheat bran is everywhere and very cheap. Iv been pumping this stuff out for a while now. Soon I'll be stocked for life.🤣🍻