Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JakeB
Novice

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by JakeB »

MartinCash wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:52 am I find that allowing the finished wash to settle for a few days, racked or not, will prevent a lot of the yeasty flavours from coming through. This applies to pretty much all sugar washes and not just TFFV. Just make sure you pass through as little yeast as possible to the still.

The brew shop salesman did his job correctly by persuading you to buy a more expensive product. Now it's up to you to decide whether you find the extra cost justified. If it tastes better to you that's all that matters.

Hi Martin,

I found the same thing, except with baker's yeast settling it at least for me did not fully cure the yeasty flavour. I rushed it at first (just cold crashed for 24h) and it was a lot worse. Now I rack it, use 2 part clearing agent and cold crash for a minimum of 24h but up to 2 days, there is still always a very little bit of yeast setament in the bottom of the boiler. The setament is a lot less with EC-1118, which makes sense since that strain floculates well. Maybe I should just cold crash longer, like up to 3 days or more? That would explain where the yeast taste comes from with baker's, and why I don't get it with EC-1118 (much less yeast setament due to different flocculation rate). It would be nice to get rid of the clearing agent too, but it did make a big difference with the yeast taste. Also, I had been cold crashing on my back porch, cold weather is done here so I am going to have to rely on patience to clear my wash. How long do you guys think this wash can sit finished before it starts to produce off flavors, assuming I rack it off the trub? I have already pitched this batch, so it will be less of a test. In at least 1 future batch, I'm going to try going back to baker's yeast and let it settle longer. Since my cold crash spot is not cold for the next 6 mo, I may need to wait even longer. What do you think?
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I don't 'cold crash' but just let it sit. Sometimes a ferment will sit for a month or more as I'm just not in a hurry and it will be very clear all on its own. I find allowing the yest to 'clean up' after itself goes a long way towards a clean taste. Folks are in a hurry.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A week or two left alone and you dont need clearing agents or cold crashing.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Zed and Saltbush, thanks for the replies. I will give it a couple weeks next time. Time sitting will be worth it if the results are better with less $ and effort spent.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

zed255 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 pm I don't 'cold crash' but just let it sit. Sometimes a ferment will sit for a month or more as I'm just not in a hurry and it will be very clear all on its own. I find allowing the yest to 'clean up' after itself goes a long way towards a clean taste. Folks are in a hurry.
100%. Yeast will re-absorb some of its by-products and clean up after itself at least to some degree, but only at normal fermentation temperature. Once you cold-crash, you remove most of the yeast from suspension, and it can't do its job properly from a cake on the bottom of the fermenter.

All that said, if you prefer the flavour profile of EC-1118, don't let anyone talk you out of using it.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

MartinCash wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:43 pm
zed255 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 pm I don't 'cold crash' but just let it sit. Sometimes a ferment will sit for a month or more as I'm just not in a hurry and it will be very clear all on its own. I find allowing the yest to 'clean up' after itself goes a long way towards a clean taste. Folks are in a hurry.
100%. Yeast will re-absorb some of its by-products and clean up after itself at least to some degree, but only at normal fermentation temperature. Once you cold-crash, you remove most of the yeast from suspension, and it can't do its job properly from a cake on the bottom of the fermenter.

All that said, if you prefer the flavour profile of EC-1118, don't let anyone talk you out of using it.
Thanks Martin. I have had better results with EC-1118 so far, but I'm willing to try some things to get as good results from cheaper baker's yeast.

I'll let you guys know when my batch of TFFV finishes out using the EC-1118, and report back about the result once I run it.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

All,
For my 2 cents, I think you would get a more differentiated product going to an all grain ferment vis-a-vis a sugar wash than mucking around with inverted sugars and different yeasts.

I like the TTFV for what it is, a great quick neutral that I use for gins etc but there is an even bigger difference going to an AG mash as a base for your neutral, IMO
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

The recipe was designed to cut back on the HBS reliance and cost and for speed both of which the bread yeast contribute to. I dont know what bread yeast you are using but if it helps, I developed it with an instant dry yeast available here made by Angel in China. THIS IS NOT THE FAMOUS YELLOW LABEL ANGEL Many of us here like and use this extensively as it is cheap and reliable as well as readily available
image.png
Last edited by Teddysad on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

JakeB wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Boil 2.5l filtered water and add wheat germ,
Are you using wheat germ or wheat bran? it does make a huge difference as the germ oils affect the flavour

foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

Quick question, what kind of multivitamin does this need to be? And what kind to avoid?
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Teddysad wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 pm
Are you using wheat germ or wheat bran? it does make a huge difference as the germ oils affect the flavour
Well spotted. I always associate wheat germ with the Deathwish Wheat Germ recipe, which is similar but wheatier (it uses wtice as much weight of germ rather than bran).
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

foolproof wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:12 am Quick question, what kind of multivitamin does this need to be? And what kind to avoid?
Any supermarket style men’s or women’s multi. Best in crushable form. Fizzies are not great and are expensive in comparison

foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

Right on, thank you. I will be giving this a try this week.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

MartinCash wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 am
Teddysad wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 pm
Well spotted. I always associate wheat germ with the Deathwish Wheat Germ recipe, which is similar but wheatier (it uses wtice as much weight of germ rather than bran).
LOL, sorry, yes I used wheat bran. Difficult to find around here, but I bought a few 250g packs of Bob's Red Mill wheat bran as an add on purchase from Amazon a while ago for this recipe. I think it was like $2.25 per pkg prime, if ordered with other stuff... grocer didn't have it, even Save on Foods which has lots of Bob's Red Mill stuff.... I'm in Canada, tried 4 or 5 different grocers before I tried Amazon, incase anyone is having trouble finding it...
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Teddysad wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:37 pm The recipe was designed to cut back on the HBS reliance and cost and for speed both of which the bread yeast contribute to. I dont know what bread yeast you are using but if it helps, I developed it with an instant dry yeast available here made by Angel in China. THIS IS NOT THE FAMOUS YELLOW LABEL ANGEL Many of us here like and use this extensively as it is cheap and reliable as well as readily available image.png
Thank's Ted, I have so far been using fleischmann's fast rising $10/250g from Super Store, but have a 2lb bulk pack of Red Star that I got from Costco for $6 cad. I haven't even opened the red star yet since I got on to the EC-1118 just after I bought it. Red Star baker's yeast should be fine right? The batch I have on now has already been pitched with EC-1118, so I'm going to let that ferment and see what happens. 48h and so far it's down to 1.50 from 1.70 (I didn't bother temp correcting so that won't be 100% accurate, it was 26c for both tests, so both were likely slightly lower gravity.)
RiversMatter
Novice

Post by RiversMatter »

Just pitched this with RedStar last night. 12 hours later it's looking great!
IMG_1070.jpg
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

JakeB wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 pm but have a 2lb bulk pack of Red Star that I got from Costco for $6 cad. I haven't even opened the red star yet since I got on to the EC-1118 just after I bought it. Red Star baker's yeast should be fine right?
Red Star will work fine..

Here's a tip.. to remove the yeasty smell / flavor from the wash went using bread yeast, ferment the wash at 80*F.. that's pitching and fermenting it at a steady / stable 79 - 81*F.. should be done in 5 - 6 days.. at that stage, degas the wash, give it a day or so, then rack the wash into another fermenter, then allow it to clear on it's own, 3 - 5 days will do the trick on clearing with an ambient temp of 68 - 70*F..

Bread yeast will ferment faster at the higher temp, such as pitching at 95*F and fermenting in the range of 85 - 90*F, but will give off some of the yeasty smell.. as to the overall finished flavor of both method, the 80* gives a little improvement..

The Lalvin 1118 will give you a different finished product, a dryer finished / not as sweet as the bread yeast, and will take a few extra days to finish dry vera bread yeast..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:45 am
JakeB wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 pm but have a 2lb bulk pack of Red Star that I got from Costco for $6 cad. I haven't even opened the red star yet since I got on to the EC-1118 just after I bought it. Red Star baker's yeast should be fine right?
Red Star will work fine..

Here's a tip.. to remove the yeasty smell / flavor from the wash went using bread yeast, ferment the wash at 80*F.. that's pitching and fermenting it at a steady / stable 79 - 81*F.. should be done in 5 - 6 days.. at that stage, degas the wash, give it a day or so, then rack the wash into another fermenter, then allow it to clear on it's own, 3 - 5 days will do the trick on clearing with an ambient temp of 68 - 70*F..

Bread yeast will ferment faster at the higher temp, such as pitching at 95*F and fermenting in the range of 85 - 90*F, but will give off some of the yeasty smell.. as to the overall finished flavor of both method, the 80* gives a little improvement..

The Lalvin 1118 will give you a different finished product, a dryer finished / not as sweet as the bread yeast, and will take a few extra days to finish dry vera bread yeast..
Mars
Thanks Stiller,

I have my fermenter temp controled at 26c, which is about 79f. The last sugarhead I did with baker's, the taste was feint with a sweet finish. That run I had racked off the trub, added 2 part clearing agent and sat outside at -1 or so for just over 24h. It was pretty clear, but I didn't know about letting the yeast clean up after itself. I am actually trying to make a vodka my wife will like. Other than my first 2 batches, every neutral I have made so far has made a fine drink in my books, my wife is a little more particular. She did not like any of the sugar heads made with baker's yeast at all, and the neutral made with EC-1118 was too neutral for her. I am looking to add some real Vodka character, hopefully this recipe does it. I am going to give the baker's yeast another shot, racking it off and letting stand at room temp until totally clear as you and others have suggested, after I complete this run made with EC-1118. It will be interesting to compare the results... It may be that I/we prefer the dryer finish of champagne yeast, we will find out. Thanks again to all for the help as far as getting the best result possible from less expensive baker's yeast.
Hoochie
Novice

Post by Hoochie »

I'm doing my second FFV (Mk2). First time was per recipe - yield was 7 bottles of 45-50% from three washes (washes were 10% over recipe).

This time I'm using Safspirit GR-2 yeast, and hoping to get more yield. I'll provide update when I'm done.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Hoochie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm hoping to get more yield.
Your amount of sugar and the action of yeast on it will affect the yield. However at the expense of time and, if the yeast is stressed, flavour. This was designed to be fast with a slightly lower yield but better flavour and so you can get two runs done in the time a, say TPW, will take.

JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Hoochie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm I'm doing my second FFV (Mk2). First time was per recipe - yield was 7 bottles of 45-50% from three washes (washes were 10% over recipe).

This time I'm using Safspirit GR-2 yeast, and hoping to get more yield. I'll provide update when I'm done.
10% over recipe should come out with a SG of 1.081, for most yeasts that is about as high as I would go. If you go too high, you might stress your yeast causing them to produce unpleasant esters. Safspirit GR-20 has a max alcohol tolerance right around 18%, so you might get away going a little higher on sugars, but that yeast looks pretty expensive to me. You will not get more yield on yeast alone, since any yeast will ferment out sugars dry (within it's alcohol tolerance). With Safspirit GR-20, you might get away with using more sugar to increase yield, weather the additional yeast cost is worth it is up to you really. Yeast used can affect the flavor outcome as well though. I think Safspirit GR-20 may produce a fairly neutral result, like the EC-1118 I am trying, but probably also slower than the baker's yeast that teddysad intended for this recipe. I am beginning to understand the intention here is quick volume of wash with less reliance on expencive yeast sources. There will be a slight sweet ester produced using baker's yeast, I'm not sure yet if that fits what I am looking for, but I personally am going to give it a shot (following my current ferment with EC-1118) to find out. If I were you, I'd compare the result from this wash to your last, taking flavour, yield, cost and time in to consideration. Weather it is worth the additional expense and (probably) time is up to your taste vs expence/time spent.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The whole reason that this recipe and most others on this forum stay below 10% is quite simple......anything more can produce off flavours.
In short the higher the ABV of the wash the lower the quality of the end product. Any fool can make quantity, it takes more skill and patience to make quality.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Hoochie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm I'm doing my second FFV (Mk2). First time was per recipe - yield was 7 bottles of 45-50% from three washes (washes were 10% over recipe).

i still class myself as a novice, but one of the biggest hurdles in this hobby was greed.
it applied to nearly all aspects of distilling, from using too much sugar, to greedy cuts etc.
i have settled down now to make (try lol) and make quality product.
i do not measure success in bottles.
2 x FFV washes finishing at the moment are 8.9%, a very happy fermentation, no off tastes.
basically just following the recipe, but with good (imho) simple practices.
maybe a new acronym? SWAG (Stop Watching Awful George)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good post Howie :thumbup: I think a lot of us start out that way, its a bit of a learning curve. :thumbup:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

howie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:26 am

i still class myself as a novice, but one of the biggest hurdles in this hobby was greed.
it applied to nearly all aspects of distilling, from using too much sugar, to greedy cuts etc.
i have settled down now to make (try lol) and make quality product.
i do not measure success in bottles.
2 x FFV washes finishing at the moment are 8.9%, a very happy fermentation, no off tastes.
basically just following the recipe, but with good (imho) simple practices.
maybe a new acronym? SWAG (Stop Watching Awful George)
Which George you mean :)))
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

artooks wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:34 am Which George you mean ))
Fare guess its this one :thumbdown:
Links to these sites and videos are not welcome here and will be deleted:
HILL TOP COPPER OR DEEP SOUTH STILLS
Powder River Copper works
copperflutes.com
Stilldrinkin
realmccoymoonshinestills
Rkhelp,
Hillbilly Stills
visionstills
woodshed distilling
Agenzymes.com.
Youtube channels: Barley and Hops Brewing.===These sellers have a poor reputations regarding advice, service, delivery or workmanship. Caveat Emptor.
Other links to vendors may be left for user's convenience but are not endorsed by the forum. If any vendor become suspect, they will be added to this list and the links deleted. Users repeatedly linking to these vendors may also be banned. #
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:58 am
artooks wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:34 am Which George you mean ))
Fare guess its this one :thumbdown:
Links to these sites and videos are not welcome here and will be deleted:
HILL TOP COPPER OR DEEP SOUTH STILLS
Powder River Copper works
copperflutes.com
Stilldrinkin
realmccoymoonshinestills
Rkhelp,
Hillbilly Stills
visionstills
woodshed distilling
Agenzymes.com.
Youtube channels: Barley and Hops Brewing.===These sellers have a poor reputations regarding advice, service, delivery or workmanship. Caveat Emptor.
Other links to vendors may be left for user's convenience but are not endorsed by the forum. If any vendor become suspect, they will be added to this list and the links deleted. Users repeatedly linking to these vendors may also be banned. #
I watched some of his videos and could not believe how he shows cleaning copper with chemicals which is definitely not safe.
Hoochie
Novice

Post by Hoochie »

JakeB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 pm

10% over recipe should come out with a SG of 1.081, for most yeasts that is about as high as I would go. If you go too high, you might stress your yeast causing them to produce unpleasant esters. Safspirit GR-20 has a max alcohol tolerance right around 18%, so you might get away going a little higher on sugars, but that yeast looks pretty expensive to me. You will not get more yield on yeast alone, since any yeast will ferment out sugars dry (within it's alcohol tolerance). With Safspirit GR-20, you might get away with using more sugar to increase yield, weather the additional yeast cost is worth it is up to you really. Yeast used can affect the flavor outcome as well though. I think Safspirit GR-20 may produce a fairly neutral result, like the EC-1118 I am trying, but probably also slower than the baker's yeast that teddysad intended for this recipe. I am beginning to understand the intention here is quick volume of wash with less reliance on expencive yeast sources. There will be a slight sweet ester produced using baker's yeast, I'm not sure yet if that fits what I am looking for, but I personally am going to give it a shot (following my current ferment with EC-1118) to find out. If I were you, I'd compare the result from this wash to your last, taking flavour, yield, cost and time in to consideration. Weather it is worth the additional expense and (probably) time is up to your taste vs expence/time spent.
When I said 10% over, I meant 10% over on everything including water! Should be same SG. I can say at day 3 that the GR-2 (13g per 25L wash, or 52g/hL) is a slow ferment compared to 50g Lowan bakers yeast. I'm in no particular hurry though.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Hoochie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 pm When I said 10% over, I meant 10% over on everything including water! Should be same SG. I can say at day 3 that the GR-2 (13g per 25L wash, or 52g/hL) is a slow ferment compared to 50g Lowan bakers yeast. I'm in no particular hurry though.
I misunderstood then. In that case, I still don't think you will get more yield from a different yeast strain. Either way you will probably finish out somewhere around .995 to .990 producing the same yield. The difference would only be the time/$ spent on yeast, and flavor profile the yeast produces. Yeast can't produce more alcohol without more sugar, but like many have said, too much sugar will result in undesirable product. I could only find safspirit GR-2 in a 500g pro pack, for $99 plus shipping where I live. I think that works out to about $7/wash, still pretty expensive yeast. Who knows though, might be worth it. I'll be watching to see how this turns out, though I don't think I'll personally buy a 500g pack of this. I'd never use it all before it expires (very small home set up here, maybe 2 - 3 5 gallon washes a month). Even the EC-1118 costs about 4 times what the baker's does, at least my local grocery store carries it so it's pretty easy to get homebrew packs of it. It is slower and more $ though, so I'll be trying some suggestions given by others to improve results from baker's. Worth trying anyways, might be that I prefer the dryer profile from EC-1118, I'm going to find out soon...
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

artooks wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:29 pm Well All producers claim many things but in reality that could differ I have a crystal head vodka which claims 7 times distilled, this could be a marketing stunt, or they use many plates and count each plate 1 distillation :) But when I smell it nothing whatsoever probably they also use carbon filter I guess.
I live in Newfoundland where Crystal Head is produced by a govt owned copacker and bottler. There's no Crystal Head Distillery, it's just factory ngs alcohol in a spooky bottle. Total Marketing stunt. Its better than your average ngs - its possible to get different grades from the factory.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.