Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

scarecrow
Swill Maker

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Post by scarecrow »

HookLine wrote:but it is on the expensive side, $50 (AUD) for 20 litres.
Holey crap, that's not cheap at all is it? Makes for an "expensive" rum, eh?

I get mine from the local bulk produce supplier. $22/20 litres.
They said it was "pure" molasses, nothing added, as it comes from the mill. Doesn't taste too bad, slightly bitter.

They also have stuff for livestock, like lick blocks, but they add urea, calcium or phosphorous and other muck to it for extra vitamins.

scarecrow
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

scarecrow wrote:
he he

Most of the extra cost is coz there are no sugar mills within, well, a very long way, and freight on 30 odd kilos ain't cheap, even as bulk goods.

I can't complain. It is always good quality, and I don't exactly buy a lot of it.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
muss
Novice

Post by muss »

Hi all

This is my first batch, I'm up to the flavouring part of it and have a few Q's.
I have 6l of 73% rum. It smells really nice so far and I haven't even added anything yet :)

Pugui's highly popular flavouring method is:
To the full strength spirt run distillant I add:
One slice of pinapple per gallon
2 cloves per gallon
1/2 ounce of raisens per gallon
leave for a month shaking every now and then.
Cut to proof

I'm wondering about oak though, I haven't used oak chips before.
Is this a fast way of roughly replicating the aged on oak effect?
Or is this going down a different flavour path than oak?
Have people flavourd this way then oaked (or vice versa)?

I'm tempted to split the batch in to a few sections and try a few combinations. I'm definately going to do a lot of it using Pugi's method as it sounds delicious.

Also on a side note has anyone tried a banana/rum/cream liqueur recipe?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

muss wrote:Hi all

This is my first batch, I'm up to the flavouring part of it and have a few Q's.
I have 6l of 73% rum. It smells really nice so far and I haven't even added anything yet :)

Congrats

Pugui's highly popular flavouring method is:
To the full strength spirt run distillant I add:
One slice of pinapple per gallon
2 cloves per gallon
1/2 ounce of raisens per gallon
leave for a month shaking every now and then.
Cut to proof

I'm wondering about oak though, I haven't used oak chips before.
Is this a fast way of roughly replicating the aged on oak effect?

Not that I know of.

Or is this going down a different flavour path than oak?

I think most will still use oak.

Have people flavourd this way then oaked (or vice versa)?

I'm tempted to split the batch in to a few sections and try a few combinations.

That is the best way to find out what your personal preference is.

Also, go easy on the spices & raisins, etc, to start with, a little can go a long way.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

HookLine wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
he he

Most of the extra cost is coz there are no sugar mills within, well, a very long way, and freight on 30 odd kilos ain't cheap, even as bulk goods.

I can't complain. It is always good quality, and I don't exactly buy a lot of it.
Hook, are there any farm or dairy farm supply stores handy? From my dairy farm supply store in our little town I can get 20l, 205l, and possibly 1t containers of the un-supplemented molasses, somewhere near the cheaper rate quoted in the earlier post, and of course there is no freight.
The Baker
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Hook, are there any farm or dairy farm supply stores handy? From my dairy farm supply store in our little town I can get 20l, 205l, and possibly 1t containers of the un-supplemented molasses, somewhere near the cheaper rate quoted in the earlier post, and of course there is no freight.
The supplier I get it from deals in pretty large quantities of animal feed stock, pallets of the stuff a day, including supplying stuff for the hobby horse riders, who tend to be fussy about what they feed their mounts. There are not any bigger suppliers around here. Mostly it is just the freight, most things around here cost more coz of it, I am a long way from anywhere.

So I can live with the price I am paying as the quality is high, and I don't use a lot anyway.

But wouldn't sneeze at a cheaper price either. :mrgreen:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

did you use different molasses? mite have preservatives? (some have ways of neutralizing)
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I can get feed grade molasses with no additives delivered at a reasonable price. There is only one problem. minimum order is a single 1000 litre IBC :roll: :roll:
belandaaron
Novice

Post by belandaaron »

Not sure if this is any good but found these guys who are in Sydney and Melbourne.

In Sydney at least, its $30 for 25 litres...

http://www.brandonmolasses.com.au/bulk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers.
WILDBILL2873
Novice

Post by WILDBILL2873 »

the first time i used the bomb all was crazy and complete. i just started a ferment 2 days ago, used all as instructed, yes needed a mop :oops: it started with an sg of 1.080, and is now at 1.020. it took a whole day to go from 1.045to 1.020. i even added some more yeast? maybe too much sugar for the yeast to handle. i put in 2lbs more brown sugar than last time. should i be happy with the way it turned out and run it? what not or to do next time. i'm a corn guy all this is new.
"illigitimus non carborundum"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Wait it out, WILDBILL2873... As long as it's bubbling it's still working... It probably won't get down to 1.000 or below, but close...
WILDBILL2873
Novice

Post by WILDBILL2873 »

thank you rad for the fast reply. that gives me time for a mash. i'll let you know how it turns out.
adama_bill
Novice

Post by adama_bill »

Just paid $20 for 25 litres in Melbourne :D
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Just stocked up on raw sugar, before the recent price hike filters down to the retail level. (Bulk sugar prices are the highest they have been for 28 years, and look like rising further through 2010. So stock up while it is cheap.)

Also, as I mentioned on another thread, I also recently found a local source of cheap, good quality molasses. $1 per litre, if you take your own container.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
WILDBILL2873
Novice

Post by WILDBILL2873 »

well got it down to 1.010, cooked 4 gal of it and got 1/2 gal of 130abv, and 1qt of "oils". would have gotten more except it went into a violent froth that i wasn't prepared for or expecting at 175-180ish f. after loosing that, it all went fine. the dunder and soup saved from the first ferment was split into 2- 5 gal (4 gal each total ) containers which alowed me to be less messy this time. hopefully it will go to dry this time, it started working in 15 minutes of closing the bucket.
WILDBILL2873
Novice

Post by WILDBILL2873 »

well i tried to use a thumper(doubler). the pressure was more than the seal on my milk can could handle. and one of my threaded copper fittings bubbled. so i ended up pouring the doubler molasses into the cooker and doing it as normal spirit run but very slowly. i am going to get my dad to help me pressure check all my gear before i do that again. also i do agree with all that have said "have a doubler sized according to your cooker" size matters! and a sight glass on the side is a great idea. so all in all i ran 3, 4 gallon strips and added all to 2 gallons dunder and the "oils" 40-20%abv. ended up with 3 qts 175 abv, 2 qts 140 abv, and 1 1/2 qt 120 abv. setting on raisins, oak, pineapple, and cloves. thanks for all the lessons you have passed along :D i learned a few myself. :oops:
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

I just read this thread through and I'll definitely be using the yeast bomb on my next ferment. I gotta try it just to see it work. :D

I found a site that stated 20-0-0 is a liquid ammonium nitrate. Prilled ammonium nitrate is 34-0-0. I have 4oz. of DAP from wine making so I'll just use that. It's actually Carlson's Yeast Energizer which is DAP, B complex, yeast hulls, and magnesium sulfate, all the goodies yeast like.

From the rave reviews I've got to attempt this one!
butt wheat
Novice

Post by butt wheat »

Stupid question: The viamin B mentioned in the recipe, what B vitamin is it? B-6, B-12, etc? B-Complex???
Thanks
BW
kazanas
Novice

Post by kazanas »

As far as I have read, is B-COMPLEX
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

B-Complex as it contains all of the various B vitamins that yeast require...
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

I can get molasses at my local 'seed and feed' store for $10 a gallon, it's 11 pounds worth. I asked if it was sulphered and the guy didn't know, he said it was just sugar on the label. Is there anything I should watch out for when reading the label?
Zxlork
Novice

Post by Zxlork »

Just wondering if everyone here has been Clarifying their Molassis like Pugi recommended. If so you guys notice a big difference between Clarifying it or not clarifying it?
rangitang
Novice

Post by rangitang »

Clarifying the mollasses makes a big difference shortening fermentation time and resulting in a more complete fermentation since a lot of the unfermentables will be left in the sludge. I have been getting better fermentation since adding a cup of unpasteurised Apple cider vinegar to 8 gallons of rum wash. The vinegar is still live with "mother" yeasts active and a 1075 wash ferments out to 1010 in six days.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I started a batch of this this morning. It's amazing how much a hot wash spreads on the kitchen floor, cabinet, stools, etc, etc. when you spill some :esurprised: . When I was pouring into the fermentor I spilled some over the edge and man it got on everything :shock: . Good thing the 'better half' is at work right now. I cleaned up as best I could (but you know you never get it all) but I'm sure I'll have to answer to it :econfused: . She'll be sleepin' when I come in from work at midnight so it'll be tomorrow at least.

On a brighter note, after 2 hours this puppy has taken off like a track meet.

WalkingWolf
Zxlork
Novice

Post by Zxlork »

Why don't you siphon it off with a food grade hose? They aren't that expensive and prevents mess and leaves some of the sludge behind.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I'm running a strip on a batch of this as I type. After reading Arroyo's article running a rum batch take on a whole new meaning. On page nine of the patent information is where he talks about the "rum oils". In the 75 proof (37.5%) range you will start to get the rum oils of which he speaks. By golly you will notice a distinctly pleasant smell when you get to this range. It's neat to be able to apply the theory to practice. Especially theory from so many years ago. Then again, molasses is molasses.

WW
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Thought I'd post and update.

I let it air a few days and played around with the jars. The sugar washes are decidedly easier to make the cuts on IMO. Anyways, made some decisions and poured what I decided to keep as drinkable into one container. Must say, it was a bit harsh. Retained a fair amount of the molasses "rankness" (for lack of a better word).

This was molasses that came from a cane mill. I have had food grade molasses many times and understating this -- this molasses was not it. I found this molasses to have a harsh, almost wood ash taste to it and the stip run kept a fair amount.

Cut back to 30% and ran again. Cut the rank taste way down and it turned out alright. Added a little vanilla and carmelized some sugar and added. It has a nice smell to it and taste is O'k. I prefer with Dr. Pepper over others mixes I have tried with this. I haven given to a couple of friends and they think it is quite good. We live and learn.

WW
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I took 100% backset and added 10 pounds sugar fermented it again (pH adjusted to 4-5). Ran it today in two batches. I ran the first batch "as usual" (heat all the way and cut back at the boil). Noticed a milder flavor on this run. This was even milder than the spirit run from the first ferment. In milder, I mean less "harsh" but a pleasant, full rum taste. When I did the 2nd half of the ferment I brought up to temp slower and noticed the first hooch out was 4% points higher than the previous run. Not a huge difference but a noticeable difference all the same. Got the same pleasant taste as the previous run. I actually saved some of this first run as white dog (pulled @ ~67%) and mixed with Dr. Pepper. I enjoyed this drink. I enjoyed this spirit better than the first batch from this same molasses.

With my other gallon of molasses, I will ferment the same and save the strip from the first ferment and add it to the wash when I get ready to run. I'll run the second ferment with the added strip one time LOW & SLOW and see what flavor profile will emerge.

If I remember right, it was on Fester's thread 'what would you do different' . . . there were several references to I'd have listened to the pot-stillers more, ditto, ditto, etc., etc., . . . . . :)

Good Stillin
WalkingWolf
charalzo
Novice

Post by charalzo »

Hey guys I'm trying this. I cannot find 20-0-0 fertilier only 21-0-0 fertilizer. Would that work the same on the yeast bomb?

Thanks
charalzo
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

charalzo wrote:Hey guys I'm trying this. I cannot find 20-0-0 fertilier only 21-0-0 fertilizer. Would that work the same on the yeast bomb?

Thanks
charalzo
Yes...