Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Post by Dnderhead »

I thank the blood meal your problem--- . mite have bad taste/color /smell

I cam back to add that it makes a difference what kind of still you using if it is a pot then off flavors/smells etc can carry over
if it is a reflux should not have much flavor/taste/color
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

If I let my still head set up for long (month or so) without running the fores on the first batch I run have the yellow tint but it clears after that, you could have puked or boiled your wash up into your head and that would explain the color and black flecks. then again your head might have just been dirty.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
GreenEarth
Novice

Post by GreenEarth »

Your Yeast bomb works great!!!!
For A Better Earth, Or A Better Buzz!
trimpy
Novice

Post by trimpy »

I just wanted to thank Pugi for all his work on this.

My spirit run was completed the other day and though I'd share.

I made 2x20 gallon batches of wash. The second wash got dunder from the stripping runs on the first batch. I didn't use a yeast bomb, just 1 cup of bakers yeast per batch. It took about 4 days to ferment out to 7.5% ABV.

My spirit run consisted of 5 gallons of 40% with 5 gallons of dunder. It took around 5 hours; starting at 80% and going down to 20%. I tossed about 1L of heads, collected 9.6L and made a cut at 50%, discarded to 40% and collected another 1.5L from 40% to 20% for the rum oils.

My 9.6L was 70% and is sitting on medium toast oak cubes, cloves, cinnamon, and a star anise currently. It tasted VERY rummy off the still. I couldn't help grabbing 50ml to pass the time.

Thanks again Pugi... I can't wait to try this one again!
GreenEarth
Novice

Post by GreenEarth »

It worked Great for me too! and did a little better on ABV
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

heading out to the folks at christmas, left my keg still with my stepdad last time I went out there, a week or so before we head out that way he'd going to put a couple batches on.
that coupled with the wine thats gone a little off from my mothers vinyard, I think we'll be set for booze for some time to come.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Been running two 35 l fermenters of this brew for a couplea weeks now.
Haven't done a spirit run yet, but i'm stripping 5l tween 60% and 20% every 4 or 5 days from each drum.

Might use the first 4 strips to run my LM and see if i can get the taste back out of it, if so, i've found a brew that uses 1.5kg of raw sugar as about the only cost to me. If i replace that raw sugar with white sugar (i get a few bags for free now and then) and use my free mollasses, i'll have a brew for the price of the two multivitamins and the 1/4 cup bakers yeast 8)
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

was thinking of doing a run using raw sugar and a single gallon of molasses for a little lighter flavor, any issues with this? how much raw sugar should I substitute for the brown sugar and gallon of molasses?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

violentblue wrote:was thinking of doing a run using raw sugar and a single gallon of molasses for a little lighter flavor, any issues with this? how much raw sugar should I substitute for the brown sugar and gallon of molasses?

From my limited experience with this recipe, i believe you can 'lighten' the flavour by adjusting the amount of dunder you use.

My first batch benefited from 4l of dunder that i had in my freezer from last year (i've scaled the batch to my fermenters and it means it should have 8 litres dunder).
The next fermenter (#2) i put down, i had no dunder, then when i'd run the original fermenter #1 full i had the full 8l worth to top it up again.

The difference in the three strips was very marked, the ferment with no dunder was a very light tasting and smelling rum.

I would try that first if i was looking to lighten the flavour, try half dunder, and if it's too strong still try none (matbe use a bit of citric acid to lower ph if nessercary).
big_daddy_d
Novice

Post by big_daddy_d »

I have question i did a search no hits. How do yall save your dunder by freezing and if so what do you freeze it in?
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by minime »

big_daddy_d wrote:I have question i did a search no hits. How do yall save your dunder by freezing and if so what do you freeze it in?
Dunder is pretty sterile stuff and it still has some level of alcohol in it. I've been storing mine in the plastic jugs I get the molasses in. Haven't had any go bad yet but have only stored around 6 weeks or so. Didn't even put it in the fridge.
big_daddy_d
Novice

Post by big_daddy_d »

Thanks minime
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

big_daddy_d wrote:I have question i did a search no hits. How do yall save your dunder by freezing and if so what do you freeze it in?

i had 4l frozen for eight or ten months in a 4l glass bottle.
maverick
Novice

Post by maverick »

the fertilizer does not seem common, i have checked all the big box stores, and can't seem to find 20-0-0. Can anyone point me in the right direction (specific place) to purchase this fertilizer. I will be purchasing 10 gallons feed molasses on Nov 8 and would like to get everything in order before then, thanks for any help...
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Just mail order DAP from a brew shop. There's nothing suspicous about it, it's used in winemaking.
muckanic
Swill Maker

Post by muckanic »

If you must use non-foodgrade stuff, then any garden shop ought to have ammonium sulphate. Alternatively, and preferably, use organic nutrients like dead yeast or wheatgerm.
maverick
Novice

Post by maverick »

punkin wrote:Just mail order DAP from a brew shop. There's nothing suspicous about it, it's used in winemaking.
I thought 20-0-0 was Ammonium Nitrate...not ammonium sulphate
maverick
Novice

Post by maverick »

maverick wrote:
punkin wrote:Just mail order DAP from a brew shop. There's nothing suspicous about it, it's used in winemaking.
I thought 20-0-0 was Ammonium Nitrate...not ammonium sulphate

I'm sorry, what I ment to say is that I thought 20-0-0 was Ammonium Nitrate...not diammonium phosphate?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Suggestion is that someone having trouble finding a nutrient at a farm supply place (which is the problem being discussed) would be well advised to order an equal nutrient from a brew shop, which should be no problem.
If it's slightly different in composition, it'll certainly do the job as nutrient as that's what it's supplied to do.

ICanCertainlyVouchThatDapWorksPunkin
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

the fertilizer does not seem common, i have checked all the big box stores, and can't seem to find 20-0-0.
There is no fertiliser that is 20-0-0, unless it is diluted ammonium-nitrate or urea. Their N-P-K ratios are normally:

Ammonium-nitrate = 38-0-0
Urea = 46-0-0

And DAP = 18-46-0

(From memory.)
Last edited by HookLine on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
GreenEarth
Novice

Post by GreenEarth »

Hi Pugi, Your yeast bomb is " Da Bomb" It works great! I am working on my 5th 30 gal rum wash now, and the Rum Oils are already coming through, My question is, do You Carbon Filter your Rum at any stage? or does it take away the Rum Flavor? Thanks
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

I dont carbon filter anything, I try to get the right flavors from additions to the wash/mash and the distilling process. I think if you did it would strip the flavors you worked so hard to get.....Pugi
SHINE on you crazy diamond !!!
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Ok I want to get one of these going tonight.How will it go without the back set???? as I haven't run a brew for quite some time
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Got a brew going last night :shock: :shock: man it took off like a steam train :mrgreen:
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

JD, Sorry for the late post. For the first run you have to work with what you have, It will be fine without dunder. Just not a flavorfull but still good. Glad you figured it out and hope you have lots of head room in the fermenter, your gunna need it...Pugi
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

PUGIDOGS wrote:JD, Sorry for the late post. For the first run you have to work with what you have, It will be fine without dunder. Just not a flavorfull but still good. Glad you figured it out and hope you have lots of head room in the fermenter, your gunna need it...Pugi
Thanks mate,It worked off well.I done a stipping run on it Saturday and plan a spirit run next week when I get time
Thanks JD
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

just finished running a batch, just did it in 1 run rather than a stripping/spirit run
there is some serious flavor there, I'm very impressed, and this is only the first batch, didn't even use dunder this time around. will be putting another batch on in the morning with dunder this time.

only changes I made the the recipe were, I used blackstrap rather than feed molasses, and raw cane sugar instead of brown.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

wrong time of the year, havent had any luck finding 20-0-0 fertalizer or any similar variant.
I've got everything else I need to get a batch on, what'll happen if I omit it?
I'm sure it'll ferment, but will I loose the flavor?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Try Miricale Grow plant food. If you can't find DAP or something similar, it will work.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

violentblue wrote:wrong time of the year, havent had any luck finding 20-0-0 fertalizer or any similar variant.
I've got everything else I need to get a batch on, what'll happen if I omit it?
I'm sure it'll ferment, but will I loose the flavor?

All this does is provide the nitrogen the yeast need. It should not change the flavor directly. Indirectly if the fermentation times are longer then normal it may change the ultimate flavors, I serously doubt you would notice it though. Another option is to use DAP. You can get this at most beer / wine supply stores....Pugi