Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

g0ldo
Novice

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Post by g0ldo »

Hey guys, first off, congrats for the forum, for this recipe and thanks for everyones contribution!

I did a recipe quite similar to this one but I have a small problem when it comes to distilling the spirit run..

My pot still is quite small (5 gallons) so I cant make big batches at a time. Cause of this, I ended up with around 4L (1gal) of low wines at around 41%.
Now I wanna go for the spirit run and add 1 gallon of dunder to the mix. My concern is that because my batch is so small, by the time the hydrometer begins to float in the parrot beak, I will probably already be below 85%ABV. So is there another way of knowing when to start my first cut?

Thanks!
hitek redneck
Novice

Post by hitek redneck »

Easiest way is get rid of the parrot and go by taste and smell and make your cuts that way.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

hitek redneck wrote:Easiest way is get rid of the parrot and go by taste and smell and make your cuts that way.
+1
Just collect in 250 ml increments or less. Let it air for a bit. Then evaluate.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
g0ldo
Novice

Post by g0ldo »

hitek redneck wrote:Easiest way is get rid of the parrot and go by taste and smell and make your cuts that way.
I did that for our first whisky batch but I dont have enough experience to figure out when to make the perfect cut obviously...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You can't make cuts by temperature or %ABV, you can only make them by taste, smell, and feel... It takes time to learn and is much easier to just collect in more smaller jars and then use taste, smell, and feel after airing for 24 - 48 hours... That way you aren't continuously distracted throughout the run... I don't think I've ever collected a spirit run in less than 11 jars and have used as many as 36...
g0ldo
Novice

Post by g0ldo »

rad14701 wrote:You can't make cuts by temperature or %ABV, you can only make them by taste, smell, and feel... It takes time to learn and is much easier to just collect in more smaller jars and then use taste, smell, and feel after airing for 24 - 48 hours... That way you aren't continuously distracted throughout the run... I don't think I've ever collected a spirit run in less than 11 jars and have used as many as 36...
Ok! Thanks for the advice! Gotta go buy some more jars then hehe
Drunken Unicorn
Novice

Post by Drunken Unicorn »

I wanted to thank you for talking about Rum oils. I run 2 thumpers and make my rum by stripping 7-ish gallons of wash. After the strip, I through the hearts and heads into the second thumper and all the tails in the first thumper. Both thumpers are cut with dunder (not aged...yet) I'd charge my boiler with another 7 gallons of wash. The end product was okay, but there was a lot of smearing and could stand improvement.

My last run, I only selected the "rum oils" for my first thumper and cut off the foreshots plus 300 ml of heads instead of keeping it all for the second thumper. Ran it with 7-ish gallons of wash. Holy crap, the end product was much better. The cuts were very clear. I can't wait to do the next run with the rum oils concentrated.

Thanks for the Rum oils tip. I'm excited to keep concentrating my oils.

-Unicorn
Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey.
captnops
Novice

Post by captnops »

I am in the process of making my second batch of this and I have a question. Many threads say that do to the nature of molasses, it is difficult to determine starting and ending SG in fermentation. This recipes basically says when it stops bubbling, its good to go. My question is, how do you determine the %ABV of the wash if you cannot accurately measure the SG?

Thanks
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

captnops wrote:I am in the process of making my second batch of this and I have a question. Many threads say that do to the nature of molasses, it is difficult to determine starting and ending SG in fermentation. This recipes basically says when it stops bubbling, its good to go. My question is, how do you determine the %ABV of the wash if you cannot accurately measure the SG?

Thanks
You can calculate it if you know the (approximate) sugar content of your Molasses - it can run anywhere between 30-60% by weight - typically i call it about 50% fermentables and plug that into my calculator to see how much water to add to hit the SG i want (normally shooting for a 8-10% abv ferment)

So long as you are not being crazy greedy about the ABV you are trying to achieve - a bit one way of the other is fine, and if it isn't bubbling then it's good to go.

I will say the longer you leave it finished, the clearer the wash will get and the less likely you are to get foaming and puking.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
hybridmx6
Novice

Post by hybridmx6 »

Finally got around to reading this entire thread, just starting doing this sort of stuff a few months back, and have been getting used to way it works so far. Have 1 question that doesn't specifically apply to Pugirum, but I kept seeing it referred to here.
I keep seeing people referring to "airing it out" after distilling, and get the general idea of it, small amounts in separate jars for 2-3 days, but am mainly curious if the jars are open or if the lids are on? Looking to run this recipe next, and after 14 pages of posts, this was the only question I found myself still wondering about.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hybridmx6 wrote:I keep seeing people referring to "airing it out" after distilling, and get the general idea of it, small amounts in separate jars for 2-3 days, but am mainly curious if the jars are open or if the lids are on? Looking to run this recipe next, and after 14 pages of posts, this was the only question I found myself still wondering about.
I'm surprised that during your other research you didn't stumble across the concept of covering the jars with coffee filters during the airing process... Are you sure you've done enough research into the theories and fundamentals...???
hybridmx6
Novice

Post by hybridmx6 »

Probably not, like I said, only been doing this a few months, and I know I have tons more to learn/read about it. Just found this forum recently, was going off a friends advice and help since I started.
Thank You
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

For airing, use coffee filters or paper towels to cover the jars. Hold them in place with rubber bands. This is just to keep bugs and debris out of your spirits. The airing will get rid of some of the off smells and flavors and help when you do the tasting and smelling to make your cuts.

Posted while others were posting.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
hybridmx6
Novice

Post by hybridmx6 »

Thank you. I have not aired anything out before, friend doesn't do it, he just makes the run and the cuts he likes by taste, then puts his good stuff into 5l barrels.
Drunken Unicorn
Novice

Post by Drunken Unicorn »

I air mine for about 2-5 days (depends on how busy I am), but I just leave the lids on the jars loosely. Do you think it's airing enough, or is it necessary to use a coffee filter?
Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Drunken Unicorn wrote:I air mine for about 2-5 days (depends on how busy I am), but I just leave the lids on the jars loosely. Do you think it's airing enough, or is it necessary to use a coffee filter?
Anything that allows the spirits to breathe and keeps the bugs out will work fine...
shinendine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinendine »

I work offshore and I only get 2 weeks home at a time. I'm swinging by a local sugar cane refinery on the way home to pick up 25 gallons of molasses. $1.10/gallon !!!!! I plan to mix with Panela about 50/50 to 20 gallons. Can you guys give some input as to how long you think this will take to ferment out with and without the yeast bomb? Temp will be around 75F.
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

for the "yeast bomb" can someone give me a brand name fertilizer to use ? im have scared to just use anything in wall mart
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
Selvagem
Novice

Post by Selvagem »

Anyone using caramelized sugar for color, the way Pugi describes at the beginning of the thread? If so, how much per volume? And does it noticeably sweeten the rum? I don't care for rums that have a really evident character of added sugar in the final product (I'm looking at you, Shellback).
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

dan_buddy wrote:for the "yeast bomb" can someone give me a brand name fertilizer to use ? im have scared to just use anything in wall mart
I am on my 16th gen of this rum (tasty stuff) I have always substituted dap for the fertilizer and it works just as well.

Hope this helps
Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Selvagem wrote:Anyone using caramelized sugar for color, the way Pugi describes at the beginning of the thread? If so, how much per volume? And does it noticeably sweeten the rum? I don't care for rums that have a really evident character of added sugar in the final product (I'm looking at you, Shellback).

I had always used caramelized sugar in this rum to darken it but have now stopped due to the added sweetness. I have started using toasted and charred white oak and am pretty happy with the results. It adds a little more vanilla a touch of smoke and doesn't increase the sweetness. The color is much better also.
If you do use the caramelized sugar there is no exact measurement, add in as much as you need for color and sweetness.

Hope this helps
Windy City
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

im doing the same as windy city. results have been great. hard to keep my hands off of it but I was able to put 2 qts away at another house out of state. I look forward to tasting them the next time im there
Selvagem
Novice

Post by Selvagem »

Thanks, guys. I've been aging my rums in 5 liter barrels, with good results. I just wanted to try out Pugi's spicing recipe, but I don't necessarily want those flavors to carry through to the next batch I age in the same barrel. I'll just use oak sticks in glass and avoid the added sugar route.
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Windy City wrote:
dan_buddy wrote:for the "yeast bomb" can someone give me a brand name fertilizer to use ? im have scared to just use anything in wall mart
I am on my 16th gen of this rum (tasty stuff) I have always substituted dap for the fertilizer and it works just as well.

Hope this helps
Windy City

just bought some DAP thanks for the tip

on the back of ec 1118 it says to rehydrate the yeast
would you - put it in the "yeast bomb " for 15mins and then into wash
- hydrate and then put it in the yeast bomb
-put the yeast bomb in the wash and then the yeast ???
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
Donny702
Novice

Post by Donny702 »

Hello,

This is my first post on the site. I've received quite an education through homedistiller, so thank you all. SWIM has used this recipe a couple dozen times without fail, so thanks Pugi.

Recently SWIM switched from feed molasses / cane sugar to panela. The batches take longer (2 weeks) to ferment - still using the yeast bomb at half strength, but the flavor is amazing.... Everyone who has tried the panela batches comments on the terrific flavor.

For those not familiar with panela, I recommend a quick bit of research. It's essentially dehydrated sugar cane. No processing has been done to separate the molasses from the sugar. SWIM can get it at the Walmart Neighborhood grocery in Orlando for < $1.50 /lb.

SWIM does 5 gallon batches (20l) and essentially has used Pugi's recipe, dividing everything in half. Instead of 2 lbs sugar and 1 gallon molasses (1/2 Pugi's recipe), SWIM has been using 8 lbs of panela. Granted, the extra fermentation time is likely due to the extra sucrose in the batch, but it has never stalled, nor has it ever produced negative favors. The dunder and rum oils continue to add complexity and improved flavor, over pure panela, so I recommend following all the pugirum steps.

Anyhow, I don't typically post on sites, but this modification to the recipe is so flavorful and favorable, I couldn't keep it to myself. SWIM has gone through 4 panela batches and all friends have commented on the improvement.

Cheers!

D
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Quick question... first time making rum and Pugirum too for that matter. I did not make the yeast bomb but I did use DAP (no vit b, no fertilizer, no epsom was used). My volume is cut down for a 5 gallon wash and I actually added a small amount of white sugar in at first to get it going. I started this wash about two weeks ago. It started off well and was bubbling away. After two weeks I'm down to a bubble every 10-15 seconds. I opened the pail to check on it today, great molasses smell and no signs of clearing whatsoever. Should I just let it go a little longer? A cant imagine i need to add more sugar for a kickstart.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

What was for SG and what is gravity at now?
I am on my 17th gen of this and don't know how you would visually see that it is finished, it is still going to be very dark. Take a gravity reading and let us know
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Thanks Windy City.. I did take an sg even though I thought the sugar would distort the reading. I'm sitting about 1.08 to 1.1 after around 2 weeks.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Did you mean 1.008 to 1.010 (almost complete) or 1.08 to 1.10 (stuck ferment and way to high of gravity after two weeks of fermenting)
what was your S.G.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Yeah, a decimal place goes a long ways in ferment accuracy... If you're still at 1.100 you started out way to high...