Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DCT
Swill Maker

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Post by DCT »

need help with first rum was...i have 96 ounces of unsulphured full flavor molasses and plenty of brown sugar....want to make a 4 galln wash, where do i go from here, i have read this thread but need some help getting started.
thanks
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

DCT wrote:need help with first rum was...i have 96 ounces of unsulphured full flavor molasses and plenty of brown sugar....want to make a 4 galln wash, where do i go from here, i have read this thread but need some help getting started.
thanks
What exactly do you need to know that isn't covered in this thread?? :econfused:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

having trouble wraping my mind around 96 ounces & the sugar for a 4 gallon wash....my math is bad
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

4 gal wash with?
96oz= 6lb about 1/2 of that is sugar so you have 3lb of sugar to start.
so the molasses+ ?
+ 3lb sugar =10.6%
+ 4lb sugar=12%
+5lb sugar=14%
+6lb sugar=16%
Iv gone high enough. this is for a total of 4 gallons.
that's 6 grade hillbilly computing.
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

lmao...thanks dunder now i feel stupid...j/k....ok so do i even need to add sugar or is the molasses enoung?
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

No you probably don't have to, but you have to decide what abv you wish your wash to be.

blanik

EDIT: this may help you to decide. http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#molasses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Have you seen it before? There's a lot of information in there - some a little outdated - but overall it would answer most of your questions.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
DCT
Swill Maker

Post by DCT »

thanks blankidog
you have helped me with alot of post & i am thankful for your advise helping a newbie...again if i can return a favor ever let me know!
bluethunder_69
Novice

Post by bluethunder_69 »

hey pugi, how do you do your stripping runs, how do you know when to stop stripping and keep the rest as dunder?
NOS Is Like A Hot Chick With STD's, Ya Wanna Hit It But Afraid Of The Consequences
CaymanRumBaron
Novice

Post by CaymanRumBaron »

Hi Pugi,

Very interested in your rum recipe as its the local drink of choice where im from.

I have a question about the mash. Seeing how the bombed mash ferments out quickly, do you wait for it clear before doing the first stripping run as I would imagine it pretty cloudy after such a vigorous ferment and if so, how long will it take to clear decently to run?
Elizabeth Swann: That's it, then? That's the secret grand adventure of the infamous Jack Sparrow - you spent three days lying on a beach drinking rum?
Jack Sparrow: Welcome to the Caribbean, love.
CaymanRumBaron
Novice

Post by CaymanRumBaron »

Blue Thunder, I would guess you could stop anytime after you get to below 20% ABV to make sure you get the rum oils in there to include in your spirit run.
Elizabeth Swann: That's it, then? That's the secret grand adventure of the infamous Jack Sparrow - you spent three days lying on a beach drinking rum?
Jack Sparrow: Welcome to the Caribbean, love.
Kifi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kifi »

PUGIDOGS wrote:Pugirum:

After many, many pounds of fermentables and different washes and procedures, I have come up with this recipe for Rum.

I want to say thanx to many people that have helped me and you may see some of there ideas in my recipe. THANX

I will start with my " Yeast Bomb "
2 vitamin B, crushed with mortor and pestal
5 teaspoons of 20-0-0, agrcultural fertalizer
1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt
1/4 cup bakers yeast
1 gallon water
Boil all for 15 minutes and strain.
Looks like a great recipe - looking forward to trying it today. Just curious though - what is the benefit of straining out the solids from the Yeast Bomb, and what would be the best strainer? Coffee filter? Cheese cloth?
Colonel's 20 gal Scotch/Ozark/VM; Mile Hi 3/8/13 gal CM; Amphora PDA-1 w/ext

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success. - Elliot Carver
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Boiling extracts the goodness. The remaining solids are just off flavors and more trub to deal with I recon.

Cheese cloth over a strainer. Coffee filter will plug up quick.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I like the straining bags used for wine, git one that fits over a buckit,barrel, whatever, then put it over the top held on with bungy, pore what your straining into that, set the cover on and leave it set for awile.these can be used over.
Kifi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kifi »

Thanks for the help gents - worked out really well so far - after about 2 hours my two 5 gal buckets started bubbling like crazy. For my first rum I substituted EC 1118 - my experience with sugar washes has taken 2-3 weeks to ferment in 20-25 C weather. Has anyone tried a Pugirum with EC1118 and any idea how long it will take?

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success. - Elliot Carver
carcinogen
Novice

Post by carcinogen »

I've had zero luck getting this recipe to ferment. Since I have had zero trouble with any other recipe, I'm at a loss as to what's going on. I pitched baker's yeast with the bomb, then after two weeks of nothing repitched EC1118 on top, still nothing. The OG of the recipe was 1.1, and it was made with the dunder from my previous run which was a brown sugar only recipe. I thought that OG was pretty high so I diluted it with water all the way down to 1.06 and tried repitching baker's yeast again this weekend. Still nothing!

Is my feed molasses cursed? Does it hate yeast? I did clarify the molasses by heating it for a half hour to 195F and letting it settle overnight, would this by some chance affect the yeast propagation negatively?
bstinga
Novice

Post by bstinga »

Some mollases from feed stores has a preservative in it that stops yeast growth, there is a thread devoted to this somewhere. From memory I don't think you can do alot to neutralise it, but not often used in winter months - source at different time of year? I haven't had the problem myself. Also check your pH, if it is too low to begin with it might be retarding yeast growth. Also to much sugar can burst yeast cells or stress them out due to osmotic pressure, but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Heating the wash to 195F killed any live yeast... 1.065 is about as high as you want to push a rum wash... If everything you have tried has failed then I'd be leaning towards preservatives as mentioned by bstinga...
Kifi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kifi »

Can anyone categorize what Rum Oils smell like? Everything coming off between 40% and 20% - and everything under 50% for that matter - smells like vomit/wet socks - tails but worse..... :shock:

Kifi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kifi »

....or possibly that's just molasses I'm smelling. :) I'm such a newbie..... :oops:

Sure smells different than what I would normally expect from a rum - and certainly distinct from the commercial stuff - but it tastes just fine, and strangely addictive. To what degree does the initial harshness of the smell/aroma improve with age?

olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I am not really a rum drinker, but I made this recipe about a year ago, and I was not really satisfied with it. I am now trying it again as I have to use up the mollases I have or chuck it out. It's now been fermenting for five days and still bubbling well. A question I have is, why is this not turning out like rum? the wash at the moment is smelling like liquerice.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Rum wash never really smells all that much like rum to me, liquorice and treacle is more like it. A lot of the magic flavours in rum seem to arrive via esterfication in the boiler and recycling of dunder and feints.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

I made two 5 Gal batches of mash according to the recipe. It never did ferment wildly. Finished in about 8 days in the warm sum.
The second distillation yield was about 1 1/3 gallons using conservative cuts. I'm not sure what a heavy rum should taste like, but I also find my product haunting, a bit addictive. It produces no hangover even when I over-serve myself.
The local feed store gets their shipment of bulk molasses next week; lowers the $9/gal to $2/gal. I'll do more work on this adorable puppy. I'd like to get some age on some of it.
Oz
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

ozzie34231 wrote:I'm not sure what a heavy rum should taste like,
I'm not quite sure either. But my reference points are likely too commercial. My rum (at present) has finally come round to those notes that rums are known for,,,,,base on my limited budget. my rum taste like nothing I have evertasted from the store (thank gawd).
ozzie34231 wrote:I also find my product haunting
How do you mean?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

I'm not sure how to further describe it.
The first taste puts you off a bit, but then you want another taste and then the addictive part sets in.
Maybe like anchovies, or Scotch, or other acquired tastes?
Oz
fishydistiller
Novice

Post by fishydistiller »

Reporting on my first attempt at my own version of Pugirum.
First of all- wow. Just tasted the 4th quart jar from the stripping run (40% ABV), and it is indeed haunting. Strong, slightly weird aroma, but the taste is amazing. Like candy/sugar indeed. I had to go taste the commercial rums in my cabinet to see if they were the same. Nope. If this is just the stripping run of my batch, I am in for some good times ahead!

My recipe:
Yeast Bomb:
2 Once-A-day tablets
2 T yeast nutrient (from Northern Brewer)
1/2 cup yeast
1 gallon water, boiled for 10 minutes. (*I feel like you could probably do this in less water to speed the process FYI).

1.5 gallons grade A unsulphured molasses ($8/gallon from a restaurant supply store!)
water to 6 gallon mark
1/2 cup yeast

Fermentor took off in 30 minutes!
Temp dropped to 45 the next day and that slowed things right down for me. Gravity was 1.02 after two weeks (my ferments always run slow...) in a cool room (55 degrees F). *I have read that the unfermentables in a molasses wash will prevent the gravity from ever getting to 1.000- should I have let it sit longer?

Anyway- I am very happy so far with it. Going to save 1 gallon of dunder to add to fermentor for second generation.
Once I have 4 batches of low wines will run a big spirit run. Hoping to have 3 gallons of 50-60% to age in a once used whisky oak barrel (a whisky distillery in NY is selling them cheap).

Thank you for the great recipe Pugi- it is awesome.
Dman
Novice

Post by Dman »

My apologies for dirtying this thread up with a novice question.

Whats the downside in running this wash at full reflux? Wouldn't it make the cuts easier to control and save on the stripping run?

-Dman
Just4funguy30
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Just4funguy30 »

Okay, so I'm guessing that so much yeast is a large part of why it ferments so quickly? How about if I wanted to cut the baking yeast with some champagne yeast for a higher volume of alcohol, with a longer ferment time? I really want to try this, but I'm new to fermenting, & all. Yes, I've read the parent site, tons of info there. Any thoughts on combining the different yeasts? Just an idea. Just trying to maximize my output :)
Thanks to all who have any useful tidbits.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Just4funguy30 wrote:Okay, so I'm guessing that so much yeast is a large part of why it ferments so quickly? How about if I wanted to cut the baking yeast with some champagne yeast for a higher volume of alcohol, with a longer ferment time? I really want to try this, but I'm new to fermenting, & all. Yes, I've read the parent site, tons of info there. Any thoughts on combining the different yeasts? Just an idea. Just trying to maximize my output :)
Thanks to all who have any useful tidbits.
Maximizing output comes a very distant second to producing quality tasting likker for most of us here.
Many of us made that mistake when we started. :oops:

I went with a "Tried and True" recipe first - got a few generations in using dunder and bakers yeast.
Then I did some experimenting with small batches.
There are so many variables here: pot/reflux, white/dark, heavy/medium/light, oaking, caramel, spices, etc. That's why there are no specific answers to the questions you are asking.
Most recipes are for 12% or less - few go to the high sugar content that requires a high alcohol tolerant yeast, even if they are using EC-1118. Most seem to prefer the taste of rum when using baker's yeast for rum washes at lower abv.
EC-1118 is "highly competitive" - kills off bakers yeast and wild yeasts - some add it as/when the baker's yeast is faltering at/close to its max abv. if the potential abv is high. Others use it alone in the wash.
BTW, the only effective way to measure potential abv is by calculating the available sugars in the molasses based on nutrition label info. (added to any other sugar used, of course).

Dman,

This is precisely what many do (reflux to 93%+) to get a light white rum (which many seem to prefer). I have used EC-1118 in 16% wash for this. - Gets very good reviews. :)

I keep the Pugi (from baker's yeast <12% wash) for ME - and a few discerning others. :D :D :D

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
Just4funguy30
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Just4funguy30 »

Alright, thanks for the info, I'll use the bakers yeast as suggested. I will default to the people who know WAY more than I do! oh, & all I have is a pot still. Thanks again, you're all awesome here!
snideman
Novice

Post by snideman »

Hello all,
I've followed and read this thread, recently i've fermented 15 gal of pugi rum it started out at sg 1.060 and has fermented quickly to sg 1.020. My question is am I stuck or has fermentation completed. I'm ready to rack it into the boiler. What do you all say?