Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Post by MartinCash » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:36 pm

You will probably find it harder to do cuts on a single pass, as they'll be more smeared than in a spirit run of a few combined strips.

Provided you didn't throw anything away, you always have the option of re-combining everything together and re-running it. Heads in your main product sounds to me more like a cuts mistake than anything else.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm

yep - that's what sucks - threw all in the feints with the neutral feints - as per Pugi's instructions. Only kept the small amount of Oils aside. I think (may be biased) my cuts were great on blending day, as i mentioned, Heads, hearts and tails were all above 80% - which was what was throwing me out. Mind you, i have only really made neutral up until this point. So, my thoughts on what heads and tails were, (mainly heads) were somewhat different as I have never made rum. really what i went of was that kind of 'sting' that i would associate with the sweeter heads on a neutral/vodka to differentiate the cut, as up until the tails it was not as straight forward as i have done prior.

MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Did you dilute the cuts to 30% or so for tasting? I can tell you from experience that tasting anything much over 40% will quickly kill your taste buds. I've had to redistil a batch because of this. I started with the hearts, then by the time I got to where the tails ought to start, I couldn't taste them. Heads I go by smell and are a little easier.

If your product is coming out at 80%, you should be diluting at a minimum 1:1, I would go a little more because it seems to bring out smells better at lower ABV.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.

WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm

StriaghtJakket wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm
yep - that's what sucks - threw all in the feints with the neutral feints - as per Pugi's instructions. Only kept the small amount of Oils aside. I think (may be biased) my cuts were great on blending day, as i mentioned, Heads, hearts and tails were all above 80% - which was what was throwing me out. Mind you, i have only really made neutral up until this point. So, my thoughts on what heads and tails were, (mainly heads) were somewhat different as I have never made rum. really what i went of was that kind of 'sting' that i would associate with the sweeter heads on a neutral/vodka to differentiate the cut, as up until the tails it was not as straight forward as i have done prior.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702

Sounds like you know how to cuts for neutral. But with all the flavor that comes through with a Rum it will be trickier. The above link by YummyRum is a good write up to keep your cut samples abv consistent to help limit the ABV variable. He suggest 35% ABV is ideal. But I have heard others say as low as 20% can be useful. But I think the key is being consistent with whatever ABV you choose.

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:53 am

MartinCash wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Did you dilute the cuts to 30% or so for tasting?
If your product is coming out at 80%, you should be diluting at a minimum 1:1, I would go a little more because it seems to bring out smells better at lower ABV.
correct, yeah i always bring it down to to about 40 - it has never been 'scientific' i just use a syringe and eyeball it depending on the ABV of the jar.
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702

Sounds like you know how to cuts for neutral. But with all the flavor that comes through with a Rum it will be trickier. The above link by YummyRum is a good write up to keep your cut samples abv consistent to help limit the ABV variable. He suggest 35% ABV is ideal. But I have heard others say as low as 20% can be useful. But I think the key is being consistent with whatever ABV you choose.
Mate, that is a good read! as above only use a syringe. it is not the cuts so much I am worried about. realistically from reading a tone of Rum posts, i will wait to see how it ages after a couple of months. what has thrown me was the very high ABV through the run up until the end, 6 or so litres of +80% up until the last few jars.

Jlanius
Novice

Post by Jlanius » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:44 am

Has anybody made this in a pot still? The recipe says to add an equal amount of dunder to your stripped wash before doing a spirit run. There’s a thread elsewhere on HD, that says if you are using a pot still, to not add any dunder back in. Can somebody advise?

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:28 pm

At the time this recipe was put on the forum almost everybody would have used pot stills. So the answer is yes.
As for the dunder, Id follow Pugies recipe.......or it wont be Pugirum.