Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Post by bentstick »

I have been working on this concoction for a bit now is nothing special but makes a good sipping whiskey in white and is smooth and tasty almost straight out the pipe!

Oat,Wheat,Rye white sippin whiskey 35 gal ferments +-

1/3 Oats (not rolled) whole with huskes straight off the farm,not floured but milled to where is busted up in the husk = 25 lbs
1/3 Wheat = 25 lbs which 40% is malted = 15 lbs wheat/10 lbs malted wheat
1/3 Rye = 25 lbs Which 40% is malted = 15 lbs Rye/10 lbs malted Rye
My SG is usally between 1.050 and 1.058 after make up water is added,but honestly I dont much care I get what I get and as long as the end product is close to the same taste every run

Toss in fermenter minus the malts add 25 gals of boiling water and mix with moter mixer on a drill once down to 180 or so add High temp enyzmes mix off and on for how ever long it takes to get to 158-155 add gluco enzymes and the malt stir in and every now and again stir it up,after a few hrs I just lock it down in the fermenter and let set over night with blow off tube in water bucket, in the am once cooled a bit I add the remaining 10 gals of water to cool to pitch temp,add my yeast ( Prestige Whiskey yeast).

Have the first mash done with my steamer in the fermenter as I type this. If ya try thank you it would be nice to hear your thoughts,has only been a few try it and so far so good :thumbup:

Nothing new just my take on a good drop!

I will add I run my whiskey thru a 5 perf plate column
It is what you make it
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Post by pfshine »

All I've heard is rave reviews of this. Gonna do this as soon as I can.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I can give a RAVE review. This whiskey is something special. It is awesome. I think what I tasted was 2 weeks out the pipe. Damn fine drop!!!! Its on the do do list
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive tried this.It is a very fine drink .Once I get some wheat and rye malt I will be doing this one . Should go to t and t. Fellas its that good.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Thanks makes it worth it to know others enjoy it as much as I do,next meet there will be much more!
It is what you make it
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

I have about 25 lb of oats sitting around and Ive been wondering what to do with it... this sounds like the goods!

Now... my oats are rolled. Is this still possible?
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Do not see why rolled would not work,maybe abit more of a glue mess than the whole grain,but thats why they made Enzymes.

Will add the piggy back is "almost" as good.
The third sugarhead on this makes a good strip for a neutral/vodka spirit
It is what you make it
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Rolled oats makes a good whiskey but are a devil to mash
Not sure if you can tell from the photo how thick this porridge mash is and it only had a small percentage of rolled oats in it
Attachments
IMAG0410.jpg
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Just finished this recipe short time ago. It came out as good as I remember bents .You ag guys should give this one a try. Those who use steam outfits will have easier time .But while filtering its a bitch its worth the time .(at least once :ebiggrin: )
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

What do the oats bring to the flavor? I have like 40 lb sitting around but since I kind of gave up on sweetfeed I have no use for them!
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rgreen2002 wrote:What do the oats bring to the flavor? I have like 40 lb sitting around but since I kind of gave up on sweetfeed I have no use for them!
Oats are awesome. I always use rolled, but they add mouthfeel and really round out a spirit.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

rgreen2002 wrote:What do the oats bring to the flavor? I have like 40 lb sitting around but since I kind of gave up on sweetfeed I have no use for them!
I've made a couple of batches of 100% oats using feed grade rolled oats. I run them through my barley mill a few times. I've made a number of all grain, single grain whiskeys and I think the oat is my favorite. I'm going to give this one a try, just need to get some rye.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Glad to hear it was a sucess Tater,I have some in the boiler ready to cook off this weekend,and have the piggyback a bubblin away! Cheers
It is what you make it
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

To me it adds a nice smoothness to the wheat and rye and a bit of sweet taste without the sharpness that wheat and tend give on their own!

Iam not one for deep and analytical descriptions rgreen,so others that have tried it may be able to help out with that part,I would like to add I am not real big into brown liqours as I was when I first started this hobby,so I was playing around looking for some whites to make that did not need 4-6-8 months up to 3 yrs to be smooth out.

The Oat,Wheat,and Rye just seemed to work!!
It is what you make it
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Bent...
Had to go back to see that you are keeping this white. That's interesting! I have about 40 lb of oat laying around from the sweetfeed days (never really go into it.... ) but maybe I can repurpose it.

Now... if that 40 gallons of corn/wheat/rye would get out of my fermenter... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

rgreen2002 wrote:Bent...
Had to go back to see that you are keeping this white. That's interesting! I have about 40 lb of oat laying around from the sweetfeed days (never really go into it.... ) but maybe I can repurpose it.

Now... if that 40 gallons of corn/wheat/rye would get out of my fermenter... :mrgreen:

Is why I had the grains here also,not a sweetfeed fan,not sayin its bad,but not my taste!
It is what you make it
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

This past weekend, I ran this recipe for the first time. It will not be my last. :)

It smelled great while mashing, it smelled better when it was fermenting, and it was very good while coming out of the condensor. I have a couple of quarts on oak, and will give them 3-6 months until I try it again. I am looking forward to that day...August 19. It is worth it for folks to spend the time necessary to make this great recipe. Thanks for posting it for all of us.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Glad you like it Hank, it is stable here now!
It is what you make it
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

Would there be any problem just using 25LB each of malted wheat, malted oats and malted rye and skipping the enzyme conversions step (because all of the grains are already malted)? Just add the malted grains to the water @158F, wrap it up and let it go over night. Add your water to hit your target volume and temperature in the morning and pitch yeast.

I'm not sure I see the advantage of converting your own grains when you're already using some pre-malted grains. Why not 100% malted grains. I'm not criticizing... I'm just curious and trying to understand the choices behind AG liquor making.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

The difference in taste between say malted wheat and unmalted wheat is huge. Malt grains and unmalted grains add different flavors to the mash.

You can do it all malt if you want. Just won't taste the same. Not saying it would be bad though just different.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

joeymac wrote:Would there be any problem just using 25LB each of malted wheat, malted oats and malted rye and skipping the enzyme conversions step (because all of the grains are already malted)? Just add the malted grains to the water @158F, wrap it up and let it go over night. Add your water to hit your target volume and temperature in the morning and pitch yeast.

I'm not sure I see the advantage of converting your own grains when you're already using some pre-malted grains. Why not 100% malted grains. I'm not criticizing... I'm just curious and trying to understand the choices behind AG liquor making.

No dont see any issue with all malted grains, but I do not have the room for malting my own grains, yes I know they dont take much space but space it tight considering I have well over 2 ton of fermentables in raw form stored, and I did try adding more malts to the mix but kept reducing them until the min of the malt was taking over taste, it was a trial and error I wanted all the grains to be there in the final flavor. Not against just using malts for conversion either,but I like to use enzymes for the xtra failure control, just what I do Cheers hope you try this and add your own touches Cheers
It is what you make it
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

one more question about the Oats. I used to do alot of rolled oat in beer brewing and even then it was just a few pounds here or there. I see 15LB of Oats and 10LB of Malted oats and get a little worried... especially since there's also another 50LB of other grains taking up space .

You don't have a problem with the whole mixture turning into oatmeal/porridge?
Does the cracked/busted oats make that much of a difference over regular rolled oats?

Edit:
Also, speaking of messy grains, I remember from my brewing days that the grain still holds quite a bit of the water after sparging that you can't get out. I never did anything as big as a 75LB total grain bill... but I would imagine you'd have to lose around 10 gallons of wash soaked into the grains (unless you distilled off the grain).

For those of you who do this 35 gallon wash with a full grain bill, how much liquid are you actually racking off into the boiler?
Last edited by joeymac on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Someone once said "who was it that looked at a big ole pot of porridge and thought he could make whisky out of it?".
Porridge is just one phase, it goes through several phases until it's in your glass with maybe an ice cube or two.
Feeling a bit of the zen this morning I guess...
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Jmac yes it does hold water/ferment I was at one time bucketing into paint strainers and tie them to the edge of the barrel and just keep twisting,let set for a bit,twist let set,out of 35 gal ferment return was 30 gal!

I have now ordered 2 30 gal biab bags,and have a electric hoist in the floor joists to do the heavy lifting of total grain bag.

Yes it is a thick mess for sure but with the enzymes and malts seems not to be such a pain and gooey when added at the right times. Malts can go in as sacrificial,or wait until cook is done add the HTL enzyme and TADA goes thinner again. Thought this got thick until I did 50 lbs of rice, it get thick and stubborn.

No one including me sez it is easy or a cake walk, it just makes a fine drop when done!

No malted oats,is just whole grain oats run through a roller mill. I have Never used rolled oats,I have access to whole grains,may come a day when I will have to go buy rolled oats but as of yet no need.
It is what you make it
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

bentstick wrote:...I have now ordered 2 30 gal biab bags,and have a electric hoist in the floor joists to do the heavy lifting of total grain bag...
I'm with you bent.... I have a BIAB bag that will hold a few hundred pounds and I have a deer hoist I use. I ferment on grain and then let it drip dry for a day or so... The last ferment was 100# of grain in about 40 gallons H2O... that was some heavy stuff!!! The electric hoist at HF is looking better every time. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

https://www.amazon.com/Kaixun-Power-lif ... ckle&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks to Rossco from another site posted this and I got one is a nice lil go getter
It is what you make it
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Joe Wrote;
For those of you who do this 35 gallon wash with a full grain bill, how much liquid are you actually racking off into the boiler?
45# Grain
23 GL Water
Squeeze out 18 GL to settle
15 GL clear liquid to boiler
YMMV
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

Thanks for the info.

5 gallons lost on a 75# grain bill is really really good.
Not sure I'm ready for an electric hoist though... I'm only running a keg boiler.

Maybe something like a 5 gallon fruit press lined with brew bag mesh. If this thing can juice APPLES, it can sure as heck squeeze out wash soaked grain. Just scoop the grain out of the fermenter into the press and start spinning. You can press the juice into a secondary with the other free flowing mash to let it all settle out before racking it into your boiler. It might need refilled 4 or 5 times but even that seems like it would be efficient, easy and tidy compared to squeezing giant brew bags on electric hoists. Any reason that wouldn't work? They're only about $75-$150 for good ones.

WIski wrote:
Joe Wrote;
45# Grain
23 GL Water
Squeeze out 18 GL to settle
15 GL clear liquid to boiler
YMMV
That's about on par with most homebrew guidelines (0.1-0.2 gal per pound grain). For 45# grain bill in beer, you'd expect 5-9 gallons lost if squeezing by hand.