Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Anode Effect
Novice

Re: Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Post by Anode Effect »

Is the wheat white or red?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Nice recipe Bentstick, my experience is these multi grains are always delicious. Wheat Oats and Rye giving you Sweet, smooth and spicy/aroma, in that order ;)

Cheers
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Anode Effect wrote:Is the wheat white or red?
Unmalted wheat is Red winter wheat crops,the malted wheat is white wheat Rahar brand!
It is what you make it
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Jimbo wrote:Nice recipe Bentstick, my experience is these multi grains are always delicious. Wheat Oats and Rye giving you Sweet, smooth and spicy/aroma, in that order ;)

Cheers
:thumbup: jimbo it is a very smooth drop,almost to smooth!
It is what you make it
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, thats how I felt about an all oats one I did. You might have been overly conservative on the cuts? Do you still have your cuts jars? You could experiment with a touch of late heads to get some more fruit/spice and spank in there.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Anode Effect
Novice

Post by Anode Effect »

bentstick wrote:
Anode Effect wrote:Is the wheat white or red?
Unmalted wheat is Red winter wheat crops,the malted wheat is white wheat Rahar brand!
Thanks! I'm putting this on the to do list.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive done close to this recipe and am now waiting on it to air out to temper. I used 15 lbs malt and 10 unmalted in wheat and same in rye. Used rolled oats and Nottingham ale yeast.So close but not exact.Just strained the mash didn't press it getting a usable wash of 27 gallons. let settle real well and kept 25 gallons from that. Stripped almost 4 gallons outta 13 gallons .Put 3 gallons mash/wash in thumper and the stripped with what was left and ran that.Started out at 150 proof and at qt jar 11 had dropped to 75 proof where I quit. Ran out another 3 qts to mix with 2 gallons spent wash to put in thumper for oats sugar head wash.Will air out for bit then taste and blend and proof .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Proofed to 95 abv or so .Tossed a little more on heads then I figured on but also went further into tails .However all who tasted have gave it a good nod . Will pass it around at next meet to see what my peers think .
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

just pitched round 4. 1.058 OG. If it hasn't been said enough, this is a product people should make. It is that good.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Tater wrote:Proofed to 95 abv or so .Tossed a little more on heads then I figured on but also went further into tails .However all who tasted have gave it a good nod . Will pass it around at next meet to see what my peers think .

I m looking forward to a snort there tater. Looking for a side by side. I'm figgerin both are great with the still making the difference. 8)

AC
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

I will have some also that was put on oak a while to try out! Lil under 2 weeks to go
It is what you make it
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

wouldn't mind a comparison on the 3 of them myself, but I have to make due with putting my own mash on. Will have to put it in the backlog of mashes to do :)
Don't be a dick
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Tater wrote:Ive done close to this recipe and am now waiting on it to air out to temper. I used 15 lbs malt and 10 unmalted in wheat and same in rye. Used rolled oats and Nottingham ale yeast.So close but not exact.Just strained the mash didn't press it getting a usable wash of 27 gallons. let settle real well and kept 25 gallons from that. Stripped almost 4 gallons outta 13 gallons .Put 3 gallons mash/wash in thumper and the stripped with what was left and ran that.Started out at 150 proof and at qt jar 11 had dropped to 75 proof where I quit. Ran out another 3 qts to mix with 2 gallons spent wash to put in thumper for oats sugar head wash.Will air out for bit then taste and blend and proof .
As a novice I am wondering if this system by Tater is just pure gold dust. If my analysis of this is correct, is it a case of Tater having 25 gallons wort
He then took 13 gallons of wort and stripped it (resulted in 4 gallons strip)
Then he took 3 gallons of wort and add this to the 4 gallons strip and put this into his thumper.
He then put the remaining wort into pot and ran that with the thumper.

If the latter is correct could one further distill this system down to
Strip 50% wort, and add this strip to 10 to 15% of more wort and put all into thumper
Put remaining wort in pot and run it with the thumper. Hey presto - finished product ?

To those experienced this might seem to be obvious, but to a novice like me it seems to be a great way of going from wort to strip to a full spirit run with just one batch of wort.

Please correct me if my analysis is incorrect, and if there are better ways of handling one batch of wort please let us novices know.
Thanks again. Jim
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Opened my fermenter today and this is what I saw. I wonder how it will change the taste...
IMG_0358.jpg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

What id that ? :shock:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

its a lactic infection, it will change it from a sweet mash to sour mash which some guys really like and others not so much. You will probably want to run that as soon as fermenting is done.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Running tomorrow crow. No worries.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Hank Reardon wrote:Opened my fermenter today and this is what I saw. I wonder how it will change the taste...
IMG_0358.jpg
It happens Hank! And makes it that much better IMO!
It is what you make it
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Pikey wrote:What id that ? :shock:
If not lacto what do you see?
It is what you make it
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Tater wrote:Proofed to 95 abv or so .Tossed a little more on heads then I figured on but also went further into tails .However all who tasted have gave it a good nod . Will pass it around at next meet to see what my peers think .
With all the accolades I figured this recipe deserved a bump.
Tater I was reading a thread where someone - can't remember who - diluted their stripping run down to 18% and then re-ran it so it came out at around 42-45% with no more dilution needed.
They felt it was a better product than diluting after the final run.
Just wondering your opinion on that in connection with this recipe?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Guess it just be a matter of taste and who is tasting it.Bent uses a flute and I pot still .Both were close in taste but not same
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Every setup and even same setup with different person running it and doing cuts can result is slight differences.

This does look like a really nice recipe this is on my todo list now.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

It's a fine mash.
Great for some drinking stock now
Don't be a dick
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

If your into doing grains I would recommend making this at least once. lil more work them most ag mashes but well worth it.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I’ve got everything but the raw wheat.
Once I get that this is next up for the masher.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just finished reading this thread, have not used enzymes but might have to do a side by side comparison between all malt and this recipe.
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

bentstick wrote: Toss in fermenter minus the malts add 25 gals of boiling water and mix with moter mixer on a drill once down to 180 or so add High temp enyzmes mix off and on for how ever long it takes to get to 158-155 add gluco enzymes and the malt stir in and every now and again stir it up,after a few hrs I just lock it down in the fermenter and let set over night with blow off tube in water bucket, in the am once cooled a bit I add the remaining 10 gals of water to cool to pitch temp,add my yeast ( Prestige Whiskey yeast).
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast and enzymes to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

I'll have to give this a go so I can have some good white to sip while my brown is running or lazing around in barrels giving me a come hither look.
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

hefezelle wrote:
bentstick wrote: Toss in fermenter minus the malts add 25 gals of boiling water and mix with moter mixer on a drill once down to 180 or so add High temp enyzmes mix off and on for how ever long it takes to get to 158-155 add gluco enzymes and the malt stir in and every now and again stir it up,after a few hrs I just lock it down in the fermenter and let set over night with blow off tube in water bucket, in the am once cooled a bit I add the remaining 10 gals of water to cool to pitch temp,add my yeast ( Prestige Whiskey yeast).
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast and enzymes to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
I've only done it with bakers, but as most recipies, chuck a fair bit in and let it work away.
Don't over think it lad

I just happen to be sipping (gulping) some atm, and i love it even if do say so myself
Don't be a dick
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

hefezelle wrote:

3 packs of yeast if ya using prestige(for a 35 gal ferment)and .35 mls of liquid enzymes per lb of grain, the 3 packs of yeast are used on the first go then I use the trub from settling barrel after wards usually a qt jar
It is what you make it