Honey Bear Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by Canuckwoods »

Well, it seems to have turned out ok. I still can't believe I did that.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Haha. Glad it worked out. Always best to stay calm and figure out the simplest recovery. Don't give up, and do your best. Good job!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

It’s the distillers version of the the miracle of Hanukkah. Was only supposed to be one batch of honey bear bourbon, but it lasted for 8 stripping runs.
:wink:
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

So I got some local hand blown whiskey tasting glasses for Christmas, great thought but I was disappointed that they were tinted to enhance the color of the product. I guess the look of disappointment was obvious, she said oh they also make a clear version and I'll exchange them. Well the new ones showed up today and out of appreciation I decided to tap a barrel of HBB-O for a taste.
HBBO.JPG
WOW I'm sure that it wasn't just the glasses, after a couple years in oak that's a fine drink :thumbup:

Stay safe
OVZ
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I see you use the American date notation.
We put the date/ the month/ the year.

It can get confusing.

Geoff
The Baker
Fivey
Bootlegger

Post by Fivey »

ISO 8601 for the win
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Looked it up.
Can't even understand what they are talking about.

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Awesome OZ. Thanks for the photos and update. Gibbs barrels are the key to whiskey happiness, too :thumbup:

Merry Christmas brother.

SCD
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:34 am Awesome OZ. Thanks for the photos and update. Gibbs barrels are the key to whiskey happiness, too :thumbup:

Merry Christmas brother.

SCD
I think that a little over 2 years in that 5 gal Gibbs was perfect!

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for your great recipes and inspirations

OVZ
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

OVZ, what was the Angel's share after 2 years? I think the higher humidity on your side of the state minimizes losses compared to my dry side.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Canuckwoods wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:23 am on my 20 something batch and I screwed up. Missed reading my recipe instead of adding 2kg (4.4lbs) I added 4kg as my recipe is in lbs but the cornmeal is in kg. Boy, this stuff is thick!!! luckily for me, I always do two batches so I divided the one wet batch into two buckets and will add more water oats and corn to both. Now I have a second double ready to go in a couple of weeks.
That was your subconscious saying "double batch, double batch". :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Tummydoc wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:43 pm OVZ, what was the Angel's share after 2 years? I think the higher humidity on your side of the state minimizes losses compared to my dry side.
At first glance it looks like the angels were nice to me, the fill level looks to be down about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. When I empty it I'll let you know the true loss.

Stay safe
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Did a new years barrel drain of the HBB-O
HBB_O1.JPG
19 liters @ 67ABV when it went in
HBB-O2.JPG
15 liters (that includes the sample that I pulled the other day) @ 65ABV is what I collected
So around 20% to the angel's

Happy New Year
OVZ
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Damm angles are overpaid.
honeybeerbadger
Novice

Post by honeybeerbadger »

10%. That's actually the Biblical tithe. Must be holy spirits
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Canuckwoods wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:25 am Well, it seems to have turned out ok. I still can't believe I did that.
Geez, I just did it again, I had saved the corn mixture in a bucket I thought I had done two so I went ahead and added my boiling water to what was two batches the same result gee why is this so thick???? went to get the second bucket to do that batch and the light bulb went off.
I really have to stop mashing before 2 cups of coffee. :lol:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

coffee coffee coffee!!! its a must for me no coffee no workee!!its what gets the juices flowing now in my older non party days
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Thecraftsman
Novice

Post by Thecraftsman »

Ten gallons bubbling away since Sunday. Started at 1.063 and today down to 1.010. From what I’ve read there may possibly be a lacto infection judging by the smell. Not too concerned about the ferment time but does seem a bit fast. I’ll run it anyway but I wanted to ask what type of ferment times are typical?? And I know everyone’s temps and types of yeast vary, just curios if any one has seen it drop that quick?
I’ll run it when it’s done I mean.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I never run before 2 weeks. 1 to 1.5 weeks to finish, the rest to settle down. So don't really know or care how long it decides to take. Sometimes it's 2 months before I get around to it. When both me and it are damn good and ready is when I run it. :lol:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

SCD, I love this recipe. Will be blending a “Wuhan Isolation” spirit run tomorrow and can’t wait to get it on oak.This recipe has turned me into a bourbon drinker. Thanks so much.
Thecraftsman
Novice

Post by Thecraftsman »

Wish I had asked this question before hand, just came to me though... I did a ten gallon batch of this a week or two ago and it took on an infection. Seemed to ferment out just produced a pretty wicked smell. I squeezed all the grains and transferred to an airlock carboy to let it settle but I pitched the grain! My question is would it have been a good idea to keep some of the grain for the next generation or seeing as I’m unsure of what the infection is was it best to just pitch it.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

:idea:
GCB3 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 am SCD, I love this recipe. Will be blending a “Wuhan Isolation” spirit run tomorrow and can’t wait to get it on oak.This recipe has turned me into a bourbon drinker. Thanks so much.
Sure thing man. Wow. Turned you on to bourbon? What an honor. That is a lifetime sentence :lol:
Thecraftsman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 am Wish I had asked this question before hand, just came to me though... I did a ten gallon batch of this a week or two ago and it took on an infection. Seemed to ferment out just produced a pretty wicked smell. I squeezed all the grains and transferred to an airlock carboy to let it settle but I pitched the grain! My question is would it have been a good idea to keep some of the grain for the next generation or seeing as I’m unsure of what the infection is was it best to just pitch it.
Ehh. Just don't wash your fermenter :lolno:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:32 am Wow. Turned you on to bourbon? What an honor.
Hell, now I’m flattered that you’re honored. :lol: I started out drinking scotch in college and thought that was gonna be my only real whiskey for life. Bourbon had never appealed to me. Then about 10 years ago I discovered really good sipping rum and didn’t buy any more scotch. Five years ago I discovered pot stilled Irish whiskey and that’s been my drink of choice since that day. Once I got a decent stock of Jimbo’s single malt AG on oak I thought the next logical step would be to try making bourbon for my soms. I came across your recipe and did a 5 gallon trial batch and I can’t keep my fingers out of it. Not sure if it’s going to make six months on Oak. I have several more batches on Oak and I’m getting geared up to make some larger runs. The wheated bourbon with oats just seems to hit a sweet spot for me.
Thanks so much gain.
furious_george
Novice

Post by furious_george »

how long do y'all suggest aging a batch of HBB for?

I noticed up above 2 years with a 5 gallon barrel. I'm not able to get batches that big. I've got 1.5L aging in a glass jar with a new charred oak stick. 6 months? 1 year? It's been aging for 2 months now and smelling quite delicious. My plan was to start sampling at 3 months.

Thanks!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Personally, I never taste between 2 months and 6 months. Whiskey enters a really strange phase.

Anything after 6 months is fine. I think I went 8 months in my 5 gallon barrel, but I also have honey bear on sticks for almost 3 years. I just pull when I'm thirsty.

Anytime between 6 and 12 months is fine.

With that said, with all the honey bear I could want at multiple stages of aging.... my favorite of all time... is white honey bear. Honestly, I always miss white. It is by far my favourite white spirit of anything ive ever made. It really shines.
Wolfhound
Novice

Post by Wolfhound »

I’ve got all the ingredients put together and crushed so hopefully I start this tomorrow.

I need to get a mash tun put together. I used to have a nice cooler set up with a braided drain. Is there anything that is popular these days as far as a mash tun goes?

I realize that many people ferment in the grains but it surely is nice to have a clean wort to work with.
Stillin-Hearts
Novice

Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by Stillin-Hearts »

I’m fermenting my second gen UJSSM and am thinking of what I could do between these upcoming sourmash ferments- and Honey Bear seems like a good candidate for a ‘tweener run. Has any one ever utilized the sour mash method for honey bear? What do you think about using some UJ backset for the HB mash?

SH
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I would freeze the uj backset and try Hbb sweet first. Then make a sour mash from HBB and you let us know what you think :).
Stillin-Hearts
Novice

Post by Stillin-Hearts »

Will do! Thanks. Should be an interesting experiment.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

HBB backset may be a nice addition to UJSSM. Just a thought