Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

captstill215
Novice

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by captstill215 »

Oh my :shock: i'll have to check that.
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
Shine-on
Novice

Post by Shine-on »

This winter it has been so cold, (dont have a heated garage) I havent been able to finish building my still untill this week hopefully.

But I have been making some of Wineos sugar wash to rack off for a weather break like we are haveing now. This is an awesome recipe. It only got stuck on me on my first try because of my Ph. As soon as I got some Ph strips I havent had a problem since. For a 4 Gal. wash; (Only have 5 Gal. buckets available right now) I use 10 Tsp. of Lemon Juice to get my Ph down to about 4.8 or so. I guess it all depends on your water and nutrients, etc.

It is all trial and error. And I am still trying to get better. I am getting about 0.995 SG and 8-10% ABV within 72 hrs. finished.

Great recipe Wineo...Hopefully will be running my cleansing run, and maybe a drinkable run before the weather turns worse again.

Shine-on

Edit: Also my starting SG on my last batch was only 1063, so If my noob thinking is correct, I could probably add more sugar :?:
smeag
Novice

Post by smeag »

Maybe PH is slowing me down also. First try at WPOSW I deviated from the recipe and blamed that on my 37 day ferment.
This time I followed the recipe to the letter using super starter distiller's yeast.
Started on Feb 7 SG 1073, ph of mixture was 5.2 (my well water is ph 7.5 limestone)
5 days later SG 1058 ph 2.9
10 days later SG 1043 ph 2.9
Temp has been 78°F through out.
Now my dilemma: Do I add more yeast and some calcium carbinate to bring up PH, or just wait it out another 10 or 20 days?
Next time should I leave out the citric acid? I don't understand why the ph dropped from 5.2 to 2.9 in a week and would like to know if thats the slow down
“What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Add some calsium carbonate{slowly} and stir it every day,for 2-3 days.That should get it going again.Next time cut the amount of acid your using in half.Its probably your water.Once you figure out how much acid to use for YOUR water,you shouldnt have anymore problems.The carbonate settles,so stiring it up some will help it work.it will settle out with the yeast at the end.
XXXX
Novice

Post by XXXX »

Hey all, new to this site. Purchased a still spirits reflux still, which I am already looking at replacing, and have been using the Turbo yeasts for sugar washes as per the instructions. The resulting "neutral" is absolute crap as I see you all already know. Have just put on wineo's sugarwash today and am already impressed. I used raw sugar instead of white this time round as I was given a bag for nothing, used 4.5gk, 1 tsp of dap and on of citric acid, and a pinch of epsom salts. stirred it all into a pot of water along with a table spoon of yeast and let it simmer for 10 minutes. mixed it up in the fermenter with aditional water bringing it to 23L, SG 1.07 and kept stirring it periodically untill it droped down to 32c. Then stirred in 1/3 cup of dried active bakers yeast put the lid on with the airlock and within 10 minutes it was already bubbling away. Smells alot better then a wash using turbo's, will have to wait and see how the end product turns out now.
One quick question, with the sugar is white a better option then raw for this wash?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

XXXX wrote:One quick question, with the sugar is white a better option then raw for this wash?
No prob. The most that can happen is that it will add a slight rum taste to the spirit, so if you are ever making rum, then it is ideal, Raw sugar also contains some nutrients, which helps the ferment.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
XXXX
Novice

Post by XXXX »

HookLine wrote:
XXXX wrote:One quick question, with the sugar is white a better option then raw for this wash?
No prob. The most that can happen is that it will add a slight rum taste to the spirit, so if you are ever making rum, then it is ideal, Raw sugar also contains some nutrients, which helps the ferment.
Sorry, didn't spell that question out to well, what I ment was, for a neutral wash would white be a better option as I was thinking the raw sugar might add a bit of flavour. Will see how it goes and try white next time.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

XXXX wrote:Sorry, didn't spell that question out to well, what I ment was, for a neutral wash would white be a better option as I was thinking the raw sugar might add a bit of flavour. Will see how it goes and try white next time.
A good reflux column should be able to strip out any extra bit of flavour the raw sugar might add.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

OkI have bakers yeast Do I follow the directions or just dump the yeast in. :?:
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have made these washes with alot of different variations,and I will try to break it down for you all.
Raw sugar gives a little rum flavor,and a little more heads and tails.
Molassus{one jar of grandmas} and raw sugar makes a nice white rum.
White sugar and a jar of molassus also makes a nice lite rum.
All brown sugar,and 2 jars of molassus makes a real nice light white rum.Even better if oaked.
Keep the gravity low on all of these,and if using molassus,cut back on the sugar some.
Now,that we have that covered,lets talk yeast.If your looking for any rum flavor,always use bakers yeast for the best flavors.
If you want the cleanest neutral,with as little flavor as possable,use the distillers yeast.It makes the cleanest version of this recipe,by far.
Make sure to clear it real good before running,because any yeast in the boiler,will cause more bad esters.{flavors} :mrgreen:
captstill215
Novice

Post by captstill215 »

Ok I tested my water it tested out at 6.8 PH and 120 alkalinity. Other post say I want my PH around +/- 5 and citric acid will bring it down. What about the alkalinity?
Capt S
Maintain a low profile
dropping_planets
Bootlegger

Post by dropping_planets »

wineo wrote:I have made these washes with alot of different variations,and I will try to break it down for you all.

Mr. Wineo.... thanks for that AA info.. i love the light rum... should i double pot still these variations or could i cut back on the reflux ratio in my column and push em' through... i think i'm gonna try both and see what happens but any thoughts would be helpfull... i have bean using your recipe with great success.... thank you for sharing
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

If you can,I would do a single run with little or no packing to get the best flavor.Dont push it too much or you will run your flavors together.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

hello, im i newbi and i was gonna start with this wash. my question is , could i use those "small packs" of yeast, and if so how many might it take for a 4 gal wash (i only got a 5 gal. pail)? or are those packs a big no no.
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
stillborn
Novice

Post by stillborn »

Mr.Spooky wrote:hello, im i newbi and i was gonna start with this wash. my question is , could i use those "small packs" of yeast, and if so how many might it take for a 4 gal wash (i only got a 5 gal. pail)? or are those packs a big no no.
You mean the 5g packs? Those should work fine. Just try to pitch around 80f... I suppose 95df as the recipe states won't kill your yeast but I can't imagine them being too happy. But the distillate will be neutral and may be just fine anyway so it probably doesn't matter.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Mr.Spooky wrote:hello, im i newbi and i was gonna start with this wash. my question is , could i use those "small packs" of yeast, and if so how many might it take for a 4 gal wash (i only got a 5 gal. pail)? or are those packs a big no no.
Those packs of bakers yeast work just fine... One pack will work but three or more won't hurt either... The original recipe states 1/2 cup bakers yeast for 6 gallons so the more the merrier... I pitch my bakers yeast when the wash is between 85 - 95 degrees... I used to use the packets but now buy in bulk...
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

Hey Wineo,
I have 2 of your washes going now but I am having problems with both. They both started ok, but on the second day stopped working. I figured the temp was to low so I put both on heating pads and now have them at 78 DEG.
that did not help, so I added more yeast to one, and more DAP & Yeast to the other. Both picked up again for a day or so but have stoped again.
What do you recomend, should I pour them out and start over or keep them and wait?

Thanks for any help in advance
1. starting SG 1059 and 1069 4/5/09
2. 1050 and 1050 4/12/09
3. 1030 and 1040 4/18/09
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

Sorry about the delayed response. I only saw you post today. Hopefully you haven't given up yet.

Have you checked the pH of your ferment? If your wash becomes too acidic, pH less than 3.5, it could cause the loss of fermentation you describe. Ideally, yeast-wise, the pH should be 3.7 - 4.7.

If your pH is too low you can raise it by adding calcium carbonate. Add 1/2 teaspoon, mix well and retest the pH. When you reach 4.0 or so you should be good. Plus the yeast will like the calcium ions too.

I made a batch WPOSW a couple of Saturdays ago. By adding the teaspoon of citiric acid I drove the pH in my wash down to 3.1. A corrected the pH back up to 4.5 by adding 3 mL of reagent grade NaOH. (I work in a lab and have sodium hydroxide available).

That batch fermented like a bat outta help. I pitched 150 grams of rehydrated Red Star Bakers Yeast. Positive pressure in the carboy in less than 5 minutes. The foam cap was trying to climb out of the carboy in 20 minutes. Fermentation was done in around four days. Two weeks later it is dropping clear very nicely. O.G 1.074 - F.G. 0.990. Fermented at 73F.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I gave a 750ml bottle of my finished WPOSW to my brother in law. Left it at 100P cause he says he always mixes his with juices. He called me yesterday and said that it tastes perfect but it burns like fire in the back of his throat and all the way down to his belly. :roll: I told him that's what he gets for shooting it straight without mixing it like he told me he did. He really liked it though and said he can't wait for this weekend so he can really experiment with it. Meanwhile I'm gonna mix him up a bottle of 80P so he'll stop whining about the burn, but you can't taste anything at 80, it's almost like drinking water.

Meanwhile, I'm making amaretto and kahlua to stock up for the winter. Might have to build a VM just for neutrals I'm having so much fun.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

I wound up putting some turbo yeast in my 3rd batch of wposw to get it to finish. The other two batches have been sitting from 4/5/09 until now and are not working.

This makes 3 batches so far that something has caused it to stop after the first day.
I think I will try it again this weekend without the citric acid and gypsum.
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
smeag
Novice

Post by smeag »

Check out what Wai‘ona said PH - may be key to speed, Mine took 3 weeks this time (faster than last couple) but been raising PH with calcium carbinate and speeding up
“What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I havent been around for quite a while,but Im here now! One thing that can cause your problem is the PH of your water,BEFORE you make any adjustments.My measurements were all based on my water,and my waters PH is 7.0.Either your water has a lower PH,and adding the citric acid makes the PH go so low,that the yeast wont get going,or its PH is way high,and the amount of citric acid is not dropping it enough.Find out what Your water PH is,and adjust it to around 5.2.It will still ferment lower,but The more acidic the wash,the more it will react with the copper in your still.I have had the cleanest runs in the 5 PH range.
I hope this helped!
justlikethis
Novice

Post by justlikethis »

Greetings Wineo, and thanks for your seemingly awesome recipe. What is the largest ferment you (or anyone else who cares to comment!) have done with this? Would a 500 gallon, dare I say, 1000 gallon ferment present any problems from just scaling up? When it's 85 F outside, maybe one would need cooling on the fermentor, so the temp doesn't rise too much to kill the yeast? 1000 gallons of WPOSW is a dream to be reckoned with...
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

justlikethis wrote:Greetings Wineo, and thanks for your seemingly awesome recipe. What is the largest ferment you (or anyone else who cares to comment!) have done with this? Would a 500 gallon, dare I say, 1000 gallon ferment present any problems from just scaling up? When it's 85 F outside, maybe one would need cooling on the fermentor, so the temp doesn't rise too much to kill the yeast? 1000 gallons of WPOSW is a dream to be reckoned with...
If you're doing a wash that size then you aim to be selling. Not something looked on kindly here without a licence. If you got a licence then you ought to know enough that you ought to already have the answer to such a question. Don't be suprised if no one else answers.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

justlikethis

This is a non-commercial, hobby level forum. The size of ferments you are talking about are WAAAAAY above anything that is reasonable for hobby level and personal consumption.

It ain't cool to be talking about those kind of quantities here.

If you are seriously looking at commercial production, then the ADI forum will be more suited to your needs.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

Welcome back Wineo! Your plain ole sugar wash rocks! I've been fermenting pretty much anything with sugar or starch in it for over 20 years. Your recipe is the fastest starting and quickest clearing ferment I've done so far. Thanks for sharing.

BTW I like your avatar. It makes me want to go out target shooting with my BAR :evil:
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Thanks for the replys guys! You have a real BAR? Thats one cool piece.I picked up a M14 a while back.Its all snipered out!
Aint been shooting too much these days cause the ammo prices are through the roof,and Im too busy to fire up the reloading equipment.
I did finally do a XXXX run on this recipe.Its mighty fine!I havent been distilling because I had so much booze stored away.
I will probably start again this fall,on my rum development,Doing 24 gallon ferments,and single potstilling.
noobybooby
Novice

Post by noobybooby »

HI there, I'm just beginning this journey but have a question regarding this sugar wash. You say you can distill 2-3 times in a potstill and it comes out great--besides the clean taste what final percentage alcohol were you able to get from the potstill with this recipe? Did you manage 95%? My neighbor told me a potstill can't produce 95%. From reading I understand that a lower percentage can taste good, I'm just curious as to the actual percentage achievable with this recipe and a potstill. I would rather make a potstill than a reflux column. I also read that Tito's vodka (which is really good) is made in a potstill, so I think my neighbor might be misinformed. thanks a lot
tell me something I don't know...which in this case is everything
nedscreekkennels
Novice

Post by nedscreekkennels »

Hats off to Wineo just finished running a 12 gal wash kept sampling to make the cuts in the hearts i was wondering why I had not done this wash before this was my first true sugar wash most time it is a peach sugar wash or plain corn I guess it is just my taste I am not much on Rum.
smeag
Novice

Post by smeag »

With the ph adjusted, much faster ferment. Is the citric acid for anything other than lowering the PH? I had to add 5.5 tsp of calcium carbonate to get mine right and thought I would cut way back the citric acid (I used 3 tbs of lemon juice).