Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Not sure
Bootlegger

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by Not sure »

Started this again yesterday this wash goes off without any problems for me once I learned exactly how to do it
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 am Just dont suck up your yeast bed
I dont worry about that.
I triple distill vodka and never tasted yeast
I take it all the way to the bottom
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I can get right down to the yeast layer with a pump
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

Ok so I've reached 1000 even after my nutrient mishap I'm going to let it clear a week before I go and run it I cant wait to gather the spirit run so I can collect more heads and tails. I'm close to having enough for an all feints run
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Put my 4th wash thru yesterday, easy as recipe with a very neutral result. Just stick to the instructions, show patience and add an oyster shell for insurance
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

I haven’t done a Shady’s Shine to compare to Wineos but this recipe has produced the goods again for me.
210L of wash waiting for me at home for me to return in a week for I guarantee a superb result
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Glad your liking Winos recipe :thumbup: Its an oldie but a goodun.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:44 am Glad your liking Winos recipe :thumbup: Its an oldie but a goodun.
Do you reckon SSS is any better SBB? I’ve found Wineos is better than BW’S, but that’s as far as I have traveled
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Both are good in thier own right....wouldnt like to say one was better than the other.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:12 am Both are good in thier own right....wouldnt like to say one was better than the other.
:thumbup:
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Just to clarify... had great results with Birdwatchers, but Wineos is now my preference :thumbup:
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Just started a 70 L batch on Tuesday. Started right away and is bubbling at 21°C in a bubblewrapped fermenter at 18°C room temperature. Used EC-1118 instead of DADY yeast. Will post more about this run in about two weeks. I want to siphon it off after it has finished fermenting and let it sit for a week before distilling. I‘m trying to get the most neutral spirit possible.

You guys think it‘s ok to siphon the wash into new containers after fermenting? Danger of infection if I let it clear for a week in these containers?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Treat it like racking a wine. Disinfect your new container and the siphon first and you should be fine. I use sodium percarbonate which I think I got in the supermarket or a DIY store. Keep it under airlock, with a bit of luck the degassing during transfer will give you a CO2 layer.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Thanks. Will do like you said. I always trying to be as „clean“ as possible 😅
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Had a stalled fermentation. Wash tasted sweet. Temps were ok for the yeasties, but in the lower range. So I raised temp to average beloved temp for this yeast and voila, it restarted fermenting. Had a gravity reading yesterday and I think it finished at 1.000, no sweet taste anymore. Will let the yeast settle a bit. It‘s too cloudy to run right now, imo. Still producing CO2, that lazy bastard. Smells great btw.

I hope it‘s ready to be refluxed in a week.

Started a new 80 L batch today 👍
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Looking good.
If it's at 1.000 and it's still producing co2 then it probably has a bit to go. It usually ends up ~.994.
-- Rrmuf
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If its cloudy its still not done.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

So I‘ll wait patiently to let if finish. Thanks for the info.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Almost no change after 5 days. A thin yeast layer on the bottom, so a bit of clearing must have happened, but not visible to me. I tasted the wash and thought it went bad, found a fruit fly 😖. I think it‘s just the most dry stuff I ever tasted, hopefully. Refluxing it right now.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kindafrench wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:50 am... I tasted the wash and thought it went bad, found a fruit fly …
Fruit flies are alcoholics! And they tend to favor the heads too. And the worst thing … they’re lousy swimmers, especially when they’re drunk!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Resumé of 40 Liters LM refluxed Wineos:

50 ml nasties
500 ml heads (typical sugar wash smell)
2 liters hearts (smells very pure/clean)
300 ml tails (nice apple smell)
I stopped distilling after the sight glas started fogging, which is a sign of tails start to come through.
At least on my still. Well, I tried compressing the tails for 5 minutes before I took them off, but I didn‘t
really care anymore at that moment.

All except tails at about 95+ ish % alcohol.

Stupid me put vitamins in the wash, which has tropical flavour. Wonder how much
that comes through in the dilluted Vodka.
As I emptied the boiler, I found this lovely apple smell again. Made me wanna have some
apple pie, but there wasn‘t any in the house 😕
Have to be better prepared next time.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Woow
Thats strange . I get apple at the start , not the end
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:39 am Woow
Thats strange . I get apple at the start , not the end
You‘re right. If I take a sample out of the mid hearts and dillute it down to about 30%, there‘s apple taste. Can‘t smell it in the pure heads.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Just started my second 25L batch. My metric version is as follows:

Put sodium percarbonate into my 32L bucket to sterilise it and the stirring paddle.
Dissolve sugar in 8L of water by heating it until the sugar dissolves.
Add 1 tsp of citric acid, 1 tsp of DAP (Actually a yeast nutrient which also contains ammonium sulfate which is probably responsible for the sulphur smell that came off for the first day or so) and a pinch (I actually have a measuring spoon marked PINCH which looks to be about 1/8th of a tsp) of magnesium sulfate.
I pour this into the now rinsed bucket and then add another 15L of cold water (8L water + the sugar seems to make about 10L of liquid). This conveniently brings the temp down to around 28C, at which point I pitch the 120ml of yeast.

The only issue I have is that the surface area is not great enough to sprinkle all the yeast and have it rehydrate before the first of the yeast starts working and making CO2. I end up stirring in the last of the unhydrated yeast which then has a tendency to clump.

After 2 days I stick in a boiled oyster shell on a piece of string. I have fairly hard water, but I figure this provides some insurance and prevents me from having to drastically change the pH in order to get it back from the brink (I've had to do this once before with a mash that got infected and went acidic fast!).

My first batch has my iSpindel sat in it and has been steadily working through the sugar. This morning it was at 1.004 @ 24C but given the temp, the SG reading is probably not too reliable. I plan to leave it until the SG stops moving for a couple of days then take a hydrometer reading and let it clear for a week or so.

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:52 am The only issue I have is that the surface area is not great enough to sprinkle all the yeast and have it rehydrate before the first of the yeast starts working and making CO2. I end up stirring in the last of the unhydrated yeast which then has a tendency to clump.
LOL … not a problem . Just sprinkle the dry yeast in… all of it at once ….. it will sink , get wet , start working . :thumbup:

:ebiggrin:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why wait for two days to add the shell?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:52 am 1 tsp of DAP (Actually a yeast nutrient which also contains ammonium sulfate which is probably responsible for the sulphur smell that came off for the first day or so) ....
DAP is Diammonium phosphate and does not contain any sulfur.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:32 pm
NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:52 am 1 tsp of DAP (Actually a yeast nutrient which also contains ammonium sulfate which is probably responsible for the sulphur smell that came off for the first day or so) ....
DAP is Diammonium phosphate and does not contain any sulfur.
This I was aware of. I'd looked at my little pot of yeast nutrient before and seen that it contained Diammonium phosphate, but for some reason I didn't notice the ammonium sulfate until after I'd already dosed the batch. I'm not overly concerned right now, the sulphur smell is long gone and I have a reasonable amount of copper in the vapour path. When I next place an order at the brewshop I'll try and get some pure DAP for future batches.

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:52 am My first batch has my iSpindel sat in it and has been steadily working through the sugar. This morning it was at 1.004 @ 24C but given the temp, the SG reading is probably not too reliable. I plan to leave it until the SG stops moving for a couple of days then take a hydrometer reading and let it clear for a week or so.
Hi mate,
If that is bakers yeast, you can take that temperature up a notch and it will ferment out a good deal quicker.

Some talk here that bakers yeast loves 28C even as high as 30C.

Just a time issue though. I am using champagne yeast (harvested) and going slower at a lower temperature.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:05 pm Hi mate,
If that is bakers yeast, you can take that temperature up a notch and it will ferment out a good deal quicker.

Some talk here that bakers yeast loves 28C even as high as 30C.

Just a time issue though. I am using champagne yeast (harvested) and going slower at a lower temperature.
Yep baker's. But I have no temperature control as yet, and won't have until I manage to build a dedicated fermenting / still house. I pitch at a slightly higher temp but it finishes out "cool" (24C is hot for the brewing / wine yeasts I was used to). I'm not too bothered about the time. Given that it needs to clear afterwards a slightly more rapid ferment doesn't buy me much time, and running cooler should (in theory) produce fewer off-flavours.