Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Postby Jafa5 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Pikey wrote:Friend of mine used to make (And drink) - "Turbo Cider" apple juice, sugar and Turbo yeast to boost alcohol content.

He seemed to like it 8)
First thing I ran through the still was an old cider that had gone too dry, came out a lovely liquor

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk
Jafa5
Novice

Postby droo1966 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:57 pm

I’ve stopped using powdered Gypsum (dolomite) in my Wineo’s Plain Old Sugar Wash. I just collect my eggshells, then dry them in an oven and powder them down in a blender. Seems to work a treat!
droo1966
Novice

Postby Graggy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 am

Hi I use this wash a lot very easy. My question is can I put some corn meal in it for flavor? If so how much would you use? Or is there something else that could be added for flavor?
Graggy
Novice

Postby dieselduo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 am

Craggy go over to the tried and true and try ujssm if you want some corn flavor
dieselduo
Swill Maker

Postby Graggy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:57 am

Ok thanks
Graggy
Novice

Postby Graggy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:49 am

Hi I Made a batch of this wash and it is still bubbling slow through my airlock. It’s been about three weeks. Should I let it go until it stops completely. I didn’t check the sg since it’s been running. I’ve made this several times but I don’t think I let it keep going this long. If it’s still bubbling a little is it still making alcohol?
Graggy
Novice

Postby bilgriss » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 am

Check the gravity. Otherwise you won't know if that residual activity is yeast working, offgassing, or some bacteria eating your alcohol.

Having said that, as the weather gets colder, you'll notice longer fermentation times. I usually switch to an ale yeast when the house is cooler. US-05 or Nottingham both like cool temperatures.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Winebibber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am

bilgriss wrote:Having said that, as the weather gets colder, you'll notice longer fermentation times. I usually switch to an ale yeast when the house is cooler. US-05 or Nottingham both like cool temperatures.

I'm also experiencing the same problem. I'm using Wineos method since last six months successfully, but my fermentation is getting delayed in this winter season. Since I don't have a choice of varieties in yeast available here and I use only bakers yeast, can I compensate this with increased quantity of yeast per wash to speed up the fermentation?
Winebibber
Novice

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes