Shady's Sugar Shine

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Shady's Sugar Shine

Post by Saltbush Bill »

BrassicaNigra wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:12 pm Going to try another run just like this except no vitamins or epsom salts.
Can you explain why you want to leave things out of a perfectly good wash recipe.
Do you know why the Epsom salts is there to begin with.?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

BrassicaNigra wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:12 pm Good job, Shady!

I had been using turbo yeast for several runs to get started and recently got some dady. First couple of runs did not go well at all. Very little yield and what I got was awful tasting.

The most recent batch I followed Shady's recipe for Sugar Shine and what a difference! I was working with a six and a half gallon fermenter so I had 6 gallons of wash. Since I was using dady and not baker's yeast I added a little more sugar because alcohol tolerance is higher. 15lb total for 6 gallons. Used the DAP, vitamins, epsom salts and dead yeast along with about half a cup of crushed oyster shell. Kept temperature between 75-87F. Went like crazy for four days and activity dropped (along with temperature) for the last three. Never saw the pH drop below 7 so will probably use about half of the oyster shell in the future.

Did a stripping run and yielded a gallon and a half of about 115 proof product. Just finished up the spirit run with about a gallon of 160 proof!

Going to try another run just like this except no vitamins or epsom salts.

Thanks for getting me straightened out with sugar wash and dady.
Ok Shady said that no Vitamin B since the dead yeast is already a substitute for Vitamin B but Epsom salt provides phosphate and nitrogen which is essential for the yeast to grow.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

artooks wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 pm Ok Shady said that no Vitamin B since the dead yeast is already a substitute for Vitamin B but Epsom salt provides phosphate and nitrogen which is essential for the yeast to grow.
Epsom salts is Magnesium sulfate.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I figure Artooks was thinking about the DAP :lol:
Last edited by shadylane on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrassicaNigra
Novice

Post by BrassicaNigra »

Not using epsom salt because I live in the front range of Colorado and we have a lot of naturally occurring magnesium sulfate. Some years it forms a white crust on top of exposed soil. Checked drinking water report for my city and we have what I believe to be enough magnesium in our water. Hoping to verify that with this next test.

And the dead yeast should provide the vitamin B's that are required by the yeast.

Hoping this next run will be about like this one. Like to leave out anything that doesn't really make a contribution. Time will tell. I'll report back in a couple of weeks and let you know my results.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Go for it :thumbup:
Depending on the location, the mineral content and pH of water varies.
Where your at a pinch of Epsom salt may not be needed.
It's in the recipe for folks using the water that's avail.

Just a thought
Yeast likes magnesium sulfate.
They don't seem to mind having 2X more than needed :wink:
Just don't drink the wash :sick:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:48 pm
artooks wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 pm Ok Shady said that no Vitamin B since the dead yeast is already a substitute for Vitamin B but Epsom salt provides phosphate and nitrogen which is essential for the yeast to grow.
Epsom salts is Magnesium sulfate.
Yes my bad.
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

It sure would be nice if we all had the capability to take PH and mineral analysis of our water when we publish a recipe. I'm getting the feeling that the water you start with makes a lot of difference in all the recipes.
The PH of my water can hit 8.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bee wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:59 am I'm getting the feeling that the water you start with makes a lot of difference in all the recipes.
I've used water from different sources within the region I resides in (within a 100 miles), and there was no noticeable different in making a sugar wash, nor any others who made a sugar wash within that area..

The Ph of the water itself is not the issue, what is important is the Ph at pitching time, and that should be done at a Ph of 5.5..

The two major issues with doing a sugar wash is unstable fermentation temp and a failure to monitor and adjust the Ph level within the first 24 hrs after pitching..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Bee wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:59 am It sure would be nice if we all had the capability to take PH and mineral analysis of our water when we publish a recipe. I'm getting the feeling that the water you start with makes a lot of difference in all the recipes.

I think your right. Water do's make a difference.
Just ask any of Us beer brewer's :wink:
Some folks have hard water that's rich in calcium and magnesium.
The water in my neck of the woods is soft with very little minerals.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Everyone, I am doing my third and fourth batch, I excluded Vitamin B and in the recipe as Shady recommanded and my fermentation duration was still around 5 days and this time I did not experience that strange minty taste, as of now I am doing my spirit run, and must say it smells pure alcohol very very pure nothing like I ever did, I am saying this becuase the other sugar washes that I did has their own unique very light taste but this recipe is miles different from the rest in terms of taste purity, this will be my number 1 sugar wash in the future, and at the same time it is not time consuming to make it, I did my two batches in less than half an hour. Thanks again Shady.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I just pitched yeast on 28 gallons of this about 3 hours ago looking for a couple gallons of clean neutral after stripping in the pot and running it through my CCVM. As much as everyone loves SPD in strawberry lemonade during the summer, this should make enough to get us through, and the wife will let me be so I can focus on more bourbons
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Jonsmith8608
Novice

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

Could I use baking soda for ph instead of oyster shells?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The idea with shells is they react slowly over the coarse of the fermentation whereas bicarb will react almost immediately and be all used up .
Jonsmith8608
Novice

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

What is DAP
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Jonsmith8608 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm What is DAP
Di Ammonium Phosphate.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Jonsmith8608
Novice

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:25 pm
Jonsmith8608 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm What is DAP
Di Ammonium Phosphate.
Thank you
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Just finishing up the day of stripping 28 gallons of this, and I have to say, it's pretty dang clean after run run through the pot still. Should be a great refluxed neutral for making panty dropper this summer.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm I just pitched yeast on 28 gallons of this about 3 hours ago looking for a couple gallons of clean neutral after stripping in the pot and running it through my CCVM. As much as everyone loves SPD in strawberry lemonade during the summer, this should make enough to get us through, and the wife will let me be so I can focus on more bourbons
Have you tried wineos wash it makes a nice drop for girly drinks too
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

No I haven't. Maybe in the future, but depending on how big the hearts cut of this run is, I doubt I'll be needing any neutral for a good while. I've already got a half a gallon of SPD made up. When lemons come on I might make some lemoncello. We're not gin drinkers, so a gallon+ of neutral hearts is going to last a really long time.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:33 am No I haven't. Maybe in the future, but depending on how big the hearts cut of this run is, I doubt I'll be needing any neutral for a good while. I've already got a half a gallon of SPD made up. When lemons come on I might make some lemoncello. We're not gin drinkers, so a gallon+ of neutral hearts is going to last a really long time.
After the lemoncello, go to a blueberry liqueur, or raspberry!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:09 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:33 am No I haven't. Maybe in the future, but depending on how big the hearts cut of this run is, I doubt I'll be needing any neutral for a good while. I've already got a half a gallon of SPD made up. When lemons come on I might make some lemoncello. We're not gin drinkers, so a gallon+ of neutral hearts is going to last a really long time.
After the lemoncello, go to a blueberry liqueur, or raspberry!
Blueberries come on here in late June, through July. We always pick about 10 to 15 pounds at the local patch. I WILL be doing some blueberry booze!
6 qts into hearts on this run run at 96%.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tastey shine there Shady. Ended up with just over 1.5 gallons of hearts, a pint of some good solvent, and some good lighter fluid, off a 28 gallon 9.8% wash. Left a bit in the boiler, shutting off as soon as I got a hint of tails, and left that jar out.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

Looks like a good recipe/method. Think this is what I'll do in my next sugar wash. Will this work for a gin?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've recently been using double pot distilled, narrow heart cut, for my ordinary gins and it's making good product. The heads and tails will be run through a Bokakob before being used for some of my fancier gins and for diluting essence strength gins. As long as you take a foreshot from your strips and don't be greedy choosing the heart cut, you should be ok.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Toxxyc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:29 am Looks like a good recipe/method. Think this is what I'll do in my next sugar wash. Will this work for a gin?
Makes a great neutral for gin. Could not recommend it highly enough, cheap and simple and relatively no mess.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:39 pm Left a bit in the boiler, shutting off as soon as I got a hint of tails, and left that jar out.
Good stuff Deplorable :clap:
Thats the way to do it . You getting sampling on the fly nailed . :thumbup:
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:24 am
Toxxyc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:29 am Looks like a good recipe/method. Think this is what I'll do in my next sugar wash. Will this work for a gin?
Makes a great neutral for gin. Could not recommend it highly enough, cheap and simple and relatively no mess.
Awesome, thanks. This is what I'm looking for. I've been making a bunch of spirits and ferment whatever I can find. However, I need a base for a good neutral I can run off my pot still. This looks to be a good starting point.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Shady,

Thanks again for this awesome recipe, this is my 8th and 9th batch together, now this is my base spirit for all my gins :)
I am doing 2 batches each 30 lt

The Yeast Monster :)
The Yeast Monster :)
CSlay
Novice

Post by CSlay »

Yeasty smell
Ran my first Shady Shine this weekend. The wash going in had a bread yeast smell, which I thought was to be expected but the smell came thru with the product.
1) Was this me not doing a good enough job racking out and bringing some trub into the boiler?
2) Should I expect the smell to come out if a do another, slower spirit run?
I followed the recipe and ran a 10 gal wash over about 6 hrs in my new (3rd usage) 4 bubble plate reflux column. When racking into the boiler I thought I stopped early enough and left approx a qt+ behind in each 5 gal fermenter. Wash started at 1.070 and finished at .995 in four days averaging about 82 degrees.
Thanks in advance C