Shady's Sugar Shine

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Shady's Sugar Shine

Post by Windy City »

So far i am really impressed with this recipe. :D :D :D
I started at 1.071 & PH 5.8
24 hrs 1.037 & PH 4.8
48 hrs 1.010 & PH 4.9
72 hrs 0.994 & PH 5.0
96 hrs FG 0.992 & PH 5.2 10.19% ABV
All readings were done with a Anton Paar EasyDens and a Hannah PH meter.
It tastes very clean and I hope to run some or most of it this weekend.
I did not mention this in the original post but I did leave my mixer on during the entire ferment at a speed of 15 RPM. I do this with all my ferments that will be distilled.
I also set the temperature of my kettle to 85 F for the first 72 hrs and then bumped to 87 F for the last end of fermentation. My controller/kettle set up can keep the ferment generally within one degree F. For the first 72 hrs the heaters never turned on but the kettle chiller was active.
I find it interesting that my PH is going back up. I will reduce the amount of chicken grit on my next try, but I really don't think this should be a problem.
Really looking forward to running this.

Thanks Shady
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Warble
Novice

Post by Warble »

Looking forward to finally getting a batch on this week-end. :D Unable to get Epsom salts but believe it is less important; anywhere I go is all with added fragrance! :? Anyway, just wondering about using the oyster shell (and sock). How should that be sterilised - just boil it or let it soak for a bit in StarSan or equivalent?
Thanks
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Don't bother sanitizing, just put it in. Sanitation is critical when I make beer or wine. Distillation is a different beast, and the ferments are the easy part. An infection doesnt usually ruin a ferment, may enhance it. If you're concerned, boil the sock and shells, but I never do.
Warble
Novice

Post by Warble »

Really appreciate the reply. With the distillation process I was thinking what you suggested but wasn't sure. I'll just make sure all is well rinsed and clean. Some of the 'precautions' people take on here sometimes seem excessive, although they probably aren't as they have been doing this for a lot longer. Always good to get a second opinion.
Thanks again. :thumbup:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Windy City wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks Shady
How did the run go?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Windy City wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 am I did not mention this in the original post but I did leave my mixer on during the entire ferment at a speed of 15 RPM.
Would like to mention a few things or thoughts on your post..

The continuous stirring of the wash, is really no different than using a stir plate for making a yeast starter.. I stir my wash / mash also but done manually and very slowly a few times during the fermentation.. I have found that when the SG reaches 1.000, it is really of benefit in allowing the ferment to finish cleaner.. and degassing once it finished dry helps in clearing..
Windy City wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 am I find it interesting that my PH is going back up. I will reduce the amount of chicken grit on my next try, but I really don't think this should be a problem.
On the Ph steadily raising, I would say that it is due to the ferment being stirred and that the acidic buffer used as the cause, as buffering is not required after the 24 hr period.. a wash acidic level, when stabilized at the 24 hr, will remain stable after that period and doesn't require buffering after that.. so you may want in the future to remove the buffering shell from the ferment.. I don't use oyster shells and prefer to use powder buffer for that reason..

I found that a Ph over 4.5 will cause more foaming during the stripping run, as there is always some foaming from unfermented sugars left in the ferment, especially if the ferment did not finish dry.. so I shot for a Ph of around 4 - 4.2 in stabilizing the ferment at the 24 hr period..

A stable fermenting temp in very important, as demonstrated by your setup, in shorten the fermentation period.. 85 - 86*F is the prefer range for any bread yeast, be active dry or instant, and SAF Red Label instant yeast is as good the Red Star, just a little more costly..

One difference from my list of ingredients, which your is very similar to my, is that I add Bentonite clay.. I have found that once the wash has finished fermenting, it assist greatly in helping to clear the wash especially if the wash is degassed.. a wash that finishes dry in 3 days will clear itself in another 3 days..

Overall I like your method and process of doing the wash..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

shadylane wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 pm
Windy City wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks Shady
How did the run go?
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.
I ran this through my 4-plate (bubble cap) column. I did collect in approx 20 jars but besides the fores cut I ended up mixing it all for a second run through a new reflux still I am building. So now I have product for a cleaning run and a spirit run.
I finished most of my plumbing this weekend and I am just waiting for my control box to come back from edm machining so I can put it together and get to running. The anticipation is killing me :D :D
I did steal a little of the hearts and proofed them down to give it a taste, Wow very clean and very smooth especially being that it only went through 4 plates.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Thank You Mars for the input
I will get some bentonite clay and give it a try. Also I will start deleting the oyster shell and replacing with calcium carbonate.

Again Thanks for the input thats what makes this site so great.
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

Any idea if DADY causes this to ferment super slow?

I started at 7.5% potential, used a bag full of crushed oyster shells, DAP, and used the boiled yeast. It started off super crazy and voracious but now it's been nearly two weeks and I'm only at 1.0 and still bubbling steadily. Temp has been kept at 72-75.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

IDPotatohead wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:44 am Temp has been kept at 72-75.
The major issue is your temp is to cold for the yeast being used.. in the previous post above, states what temp is best.. and the other is it was not monitor during the process..

As it stands now after 2 wks and at 1.000 it probably done.. give it a good degassing and give it a day and see if it moves..

It will not clear well due to in large part to the temp being to cold for the yeast..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

That’s interesting if you’re suggesting it’s purely the temperature based on the east. My UJSM ferments out completely in four days at the exact same temperature
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone sorry but as I am using metric system can you please tell me if 1/2 cup yeast is 150 grams is that correct ? I got some values from a calculator but the yeast amount seemed a little bit low so I just wanted to make sure I get the correct value.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

1/2 cup is 125 ml
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:12 am 1/2 cup is 125 ml
Thanks
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

Do you need to change out the bag of crushed oyster shells with each ferment?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

IDPotatohead wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 am Do you need to change out the bag of crushed oyster shells with each ferment?
I weigh mine wet so that I can re-weigh them wet after the ferment to find out how much was used up. Keep good records, including pHs, and eventually you will have an answer that works for your water, ferments, etc..

I use whole shells and re-use them until they disappear.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

IDPotatohead wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 am Do you need to change out the bag of crushed oyster shells with each ferment?
I'd recommend using fresh crushed shell for each run.
I've tried reusing crushed shell and the second fermentations didn't go as good.
The fermentation was slower and didn't get to as low of a SG before finishing
The wash also didn't smell or taste as good
Just guessing, I'd say the dust and finer pieces got used up on the first go around.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

shadylane wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:11 pm
I've tried reusing crushed shell and the second fermentations didn't go as good.
Just guessing, I'd say the dust and finer pieces got used up on the first go around.
Hi,

Would it be ok to use whole shells ?
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

artooks wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:58 am Would it be ok to use whole shells ?
Pardon me my poor French, gents: in a heterogeneous environment the reaction rate is directly proportional to the interface area.

The smaller = the better.

har druckit för mycket
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Smaller = faster. That doesn't necessarily mean better. It is why I prefer using whole shells. Whole shells can be used to simulate a buffer better than ground, or powdered, forms of Calcium Carbonate.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Yepp, you are right, NZ: faster :)

If I care of deoxidation, I just drop some coffee-grinded egg shells at the day 2 or 3 and don't care anymore. What must react — just reacts. And no sudden sharp edges for my filtering cotton cloth in the end of the process...

The pH would be always slightly acidic excepting the case I dropped a kilo of baking soda in (that's disastrous, yeah) ;)

har druckit för mycket
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

artooks wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:58 am
shadylane wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:11 pm
Hi,

Would it be ok to use whole shells ?
I haven't tried using whole shells
Their not readily available around here..
The crushed shells I've been using are easy to get.
It's made from crushed oyster shells and corral.
I'm guessing it's mostly calcium carbonate.
Maybe there's trace elements or minerals in it
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Also one other thing because I am trying to convert the imperial measurements to metric, for example in Rad's All bran I am using 130 grams of yeast for 8 Gallons but in this recipe apart from the boiled yeast it comes to 30 grams bakers yeast is this correct, I am sorry for asking that but the reason that I am asking Is because this recipe looks like to call for less yeast can anyone confirm this ?
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

After a 2 year brake from distilling, yesterday I started my first fermentation with this recipe, I also use Vitamin B and Epsom Salt also I use 3 big whole scallop shells to act as a buffer which I usually do, they weigh 7.20 ounce. Most of the time, once I finish mixing up everything I take back 17 oz to a measuring cup and pitch the yeast on top of it and wait 30 minutes, during this time, as you could see in the pictures the yeast starts to activate and fill the measuring cup to the top, once it reaches there I put it right back into the fermenter, so by doing this way, it is more or less acts like a starter, and the fermentation starts very quickly, one thing that I have to mention is that, the amount of yeast seemed quite low compared to some other recipes out there, but everything is now looking very good now, it started yesterday and today the room filled with a nice smell, thanks shady for this great recipe I will give more details along the ways, Pitching temperature of wash: 75.2 F and OG:1.070 and I am fermenting it@86F.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good to see you back Artooks, god you were a handful as a newbie..lol
Great photos, nice to see you putting back into the hobby. :thumbup:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

IMG_1925.jpg
Thanks Saltbush Bill nice to see you too, Finally I have started I really missed it.

Today, after 5 days and 17 hrs, the fermentation has finished. I can proudly read FG: 990 Again thanks for this great Sugar Shine Recipe Shady, there are many good things that I should mention. But before that I would like to say that the whole scallop shells are also working, tomorrow I will distill and will weigh the scallops to see how much of it is consumed, so today when I opened the lid of my fermenter, oh my god what a lovely smell that the wash has, It really is very good, Also what was interesting for me to see that how less yeast is used in this recipe, I must admit that, I was not expected this recipe to complete with this much yeast, reason being normally recipes call for almost three times of this amount, so that was something new for me, and overall I must say that this recipe calls for less ingredient and it is very economical in that sense, so now I will let you all know once I strip and reflux this wash. Thanks Again Shady this is a Great Recipe.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

IMG_1955.jpeg
Hi,

Today I did my stripping run, and it still continues at the time of writing, once I transferred the wash to my boiler I weigh the scallop shells and find out that the shells lost 60 grams ( 2.1 Ounces) I also checked the PH of the wash which was 5, so this basically tells me that the scallop shells did their work, so for and 8 Gallon wash 2.1 ounce of scallop shell is consumed, tomorrow I will be doing my spirit run, wondering how it will be turned out, I am very curious about the flavor we will see. Also what I would like to mention is that, because the amount of yeast used in this was is so little the sediment was also very thin which helped me to get the most of the was only 0.5 litre remained. So far so good.
IMG_1958.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg
IMG_1970.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Today I did my spirit run with my CCVM I had some problems, I hope you could help me with that, to begin with I have a small boiler for my spirit run 3 Gallon which I mainly use, so I had 1.32 Gallon of %55 ABV Low Wine, so I add another 1.32 on top of it which lowered my ABV to %27.5 so in total I started with 2.64 Gallon at %27.5 ABV, My Column is 36" long and as packing I used from bottom to top 2 copper mash + 18 oz copper saddles + 1 copper mash + 11 Oz Raschig rings + 1 copper mash + 13 OZ SS Saddles, and that was it, in my new house unfortunately I do not have a tank to place so I had to use tab water for cooling I had thermometers so the cold water goes out at 64F and comes back from the reflux at 108 F, anyway I started the still at 2800 Watt and within 17 minutes I started to see condensation in the sight glass so I was at full reflux for 40 minutes at 900 watt the I started to increase the RC for 1 inch started to collect foreshots, the Alcohol at first was coming at 94 ABV then once I increase the RC by another 1 inch and increased the power to 1200 the ABV dropped to 90, I read ton of CCVM runs but I do not seem to get running it at RC completely open and with increased power to 12OO watt the without losing from ABV, and the distillate came different as well, so when I taste it it had a bitter and minty taste to it I remember it because the same happened to me when I did Birdwatchers, so I cannot seem to do it correctly, this is definitely my mistake so after starting the hobby again, I had some problems, so my questions are:

1) When could I possibly done in the fermentation to get a bitter and minty product ?

2) the reason that the ABV was not high was it my new cooling lines that I use from tab water, with tab water the water always come cold and maybe could it be that it was too cold and not tepid that I faced this problem, or should I use different packing material to reach this goal ?

I was really discouraged to face a problem like that, but I believe that I will find the problem and solve it. Thanks