SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Post by Yummyrum »

SaltyStaves wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:18 am
30xs wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:15 pmbefore adding vitamins
You'll need to tell us what you used and how much of it. Good chance that explains the colour and the oil slick.
You thinking maybe fish oil SaltyStaves ?
LOL I stuffed up doing Teds Frigg’n fast Vodka and used a Multi-vitamin that had Fishoil in it . Damn that wash stunk and couldn’t get the smell out even though I refluxed the crap out of it .

Gotta say , what ever is in that wash , there appears to be a lot of it
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Yeah the colour does make me wonder. Keratin in multivitamins in sugar washes have made my wash look yellow in the past.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:57 pm
Regarding the yellow crap . That doesn’t look right .
I once got Molasses from the local rural store that had this oily shit on top of it . When I queried them about it , the just laughed and said it was probably transmission fluid from the Used 44gal drums they had the Molasses truck fill up . :?

They said it won’t worry the horses :lol:

I told them I didn’t want it . They let me have it for free . I ended up tipping it out .
The yellow Ian’s oily looking spots is thin. It’s funny you say that because I thought that it resembled the look of oil in a motor with a cracked head. The foamy film that won’t go away.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

You'll need to tell us what you used and how much of it. Good chance that explains the colour and the oil slick.
Spring Valley brand B100 complex and B1 vitamins crushed. 50 gallon wash and used 7 of each.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:24 pm Thats a strange looking wash, I have no idea what that oily looking stuff is.....never had that happen on any of my molasses ferments? Did the container the molasses came in have a list of contents on the side?
The molasses is delivered in bulk. I took my own buckets in the BW filled. $3 a gallon. I have one other local source to try getting molasses from.

As to the question of mixed enough: I dumped ~14 gallons of molasses into barrel. Poured 10 gallon boiling water and hit it with the mortar mixer. Then finished filling up the barrel with the jet nozzle on the hose, using it to help aerate as I filled.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

30xs wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 am As to the question of mixed enough
That sure is mixed enough imo :thumbup:
30xs wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 am The molasses is delivered in bulk. I took my own buckets in the BW filled.
Any possibility that there was some foreign substance in the BYO buckets ?
Grappling for answers here......bugger all chance of that Im guessing.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

30xs wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:26 am
Spring Valley brand B100 complex and B1 vitamins crushed. 50 gallon wash and used 7 of each.
The one that sticks out is Riboflavin, but the best thing would be if you had some leftover molasses and vitamin tablets to do a little test with. Just use the same scale (molasses:tablet) in a small jar and see if you can repeat the same result.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I’m out of the current molasses, and not sure it’s worth pursuing the experiment to get more from the same place. I’ll check riboflavin levels in the current complex. What does everyone else use in the B vitamin department? I was never really able to distinguish if it was done. Almost a biting dry sensation on the tongue. I couldn’t say with certainty if it was chemical dry, or a bitter and dry combo.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I don’t use any vitamins in my Rum washes . But I do in my Neutral sugar washes ... Just use crushed up B1 mostly and sometimes B6 .
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I just tried to give it a skim with a paper towel. There’s definitely a sheen, but not really the rainbow sheen I’d associate with a petroleum based oil? My only two options are try to skim it and pour it all out, skim to save a little barrel cleaning. Or, use the keg setup I was dedicating to steam mashing and some old bits and send it up the pipe. I’m thinking dump is the safer alternative but I’d like to clean the top off to make the barrel cleaning easier. I’m attaching a couple pictures of the paper towel after skimming the top.
AE691B9F-50DB-49D8-AE0E-95B5CA22B08F.jpeg
3B4C8EEC-379D-4A20-8638-D1F95C00E308.jpeg
Edited to add: I have seen a similar oily looking substance on the surface of a Booner’s I tried. I thought corn oils, but that shouldn’t be in molasses.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

That looks normal to me.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The only time i see that colour in a mollases wash is if its fermenting hard and there is a layer of froth on top of the wash......once the ferment slows the froth is gone.
You could try siphoning the wash from below the scum leaving it on top and just getting the clean wash.
Alternately if your fermenter has a drain tap use that, again leaving the scummy top in the fermenter.
You could then strip and store the low wines.This will allow you time to ponder the washes future......and also smell any wierd odors in the low wines if there are any.
Other option is.....if you are really unsure what that oily stuff is and dont want any risk......dump it and start again with different mollases.
Personaly Id probably take the first of the options.
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:27 pm
rolling wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm Just got to keep waiting...
Reckon you have waited long enough, Id be sampling by now.
Im not sure charred oak is that good in Rum, but thats your choice,,,,,everyone has different tastes.
Yes, it's all one big experiment. I originally used charred, then began putting up uncharted after reading what you'd written regarding this. 9 months now, maybe time to take a nip...
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Some relatives are farmers and they have tons of those 1000L totes full of molasses they use on their fields. Just got the OK to go fillup a bucket, will see how it turns out.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 pm Some relatives are farmers and they have tons of those 1000L totes full of molasses they use on their fields. Just got the OK to go fillup a bucket, will see how it turns out.
:esurprised:
A bucket :crazy: ... dude ... go crazy . :ebiggrin:
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 am
GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 pm Some relatives are farmers and they have tons of those 1000L totes full of molasses they use on their fields. Just got the OK to go fillup a bucket, will see how it turns out.
Yep, got a 5 gallon bucket full :)
---
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

So my rum has been on oak for 3.5 months.
I've been checking / sipping it about once a week. it tastes really good I'm doing another batch tonight using the dunder from the first one hope it works out well this is a great recipe.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Also this time I'm using bulk active dry yeast instead of the wine yeast I use last time
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:13 am
Yummyrum wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 am
Yep, got a 5 gallon bucket full :)
Next time you'll want a 55g drum :wink: :)

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Glad your enjoying the fruits of your labour 2ndstill
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

So I made this today, overshot my sugar levels though.
I did 19L of Molasses, 38 L of RO water, for a total of 57L, which about lines up with the original recipe.
My OG is 1.110 though, which could get me upto around 13%.
I added 9g DAP, half a packet of boiled 1118 yeast (for Vit B), and then 2 packets of 1118 yeast, plug 5g more bakers yeast (ran out of 1118).

Should I dilute it down to around 1.08 for a 10%? I'll have to move it over into my 32 gallon brute if so, the 20 gallon is too full as it, I may have a bit of a mess in a couple days.
---
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why use ec1118 for Rum?.....its far from ideal for the purpose.
You wont get an accurate gravity reading with molasses....that is why I give quantities only.
Stick to the recipe and it will work, go your own way and I cant say what the result will be.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 pm Why use ec1118 for Rum?.....its far from ideal for the purpose.
You wont get an accurate gravity reading with molasses....that is why I give quantities only.
Stick to the recipe and it will work, go your own way and I cant say what the result will be.
A few reasons.
-the only good lhbs in town shut down due to covid, everyone else only has 1118 or 1116. Didn't want to pay way more and wait for shipping something rum specific. I'm a whisky guy so this is a one time run due to the free molasses, so buying in bulk didn't make sense.
-i had looked it up on HD and found lots of people seem to use it on rum.
-i have lots of experience with 1118 in wine and cider making, and it's reliable, if not exciting.

So if I had planned this out better I would have included an optimal yeast in an order with other stuff, but this was a last minute decision due to the molasses being offered.
---
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No problem.....just that bakers yeast is cheap and easy to get at most supermarkets usually.
Ec1118 will work.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 pm No problem.....just that bakers yeast is cheap and easy to get at most supermarkets usually.
Ec1118 will work.
ko

Ok thanks. I did use 1/3 bakers yeast, so it will depend on which strain becomes dominant. Maybe they will each contribute some flavours.
I picked this stuff up in bulk back in early summer from a bakery, as baking yeast was out of stock everywhere here early in the covid era.
We bake a fair amount but I grabbed almost a kilo of it so still have plenty on-hand.
---
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Baker's yeast is grown on molasses.

So should be ideal for rum.

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Which yeast is dominant is likely to be decided by the temperature of the fermenter. I'm a control freak, so I find out the ideal temperature for the yeast I want to use and do whatever it takes to make it happen.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I transferred this into my 32 gallon fermenter, and added a yeast starter with baker's yeast to try and help that be dominant. There were no signs of activity otherwise yet.
---
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Is it normal with this to see very little fermentation activity? There is no foam at all, it just looks like a glass of coke does, little bubbles popping on the surface if you look closely.
The rye whisky I have fermenting beside it has a much more normal (what I'm used to) foam/krausen cap on it.
---
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

That's how molasses ferments, just a fizz
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!