uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

on1wheel01

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by on1wheel01 »

I was hoping to get results of around 100 proof 50 %. I figure If I need to re run it I shall and then if stronger just make cuts to it.
condo33
Bootlegger

Post by condo33 »

njscofflaw wrote:condo you braggart! Just kidding. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm envious of your progress. I'm about to run gen 2 this weekend. I hope they progress as well as you've had. My time has been non-existent. Its great you're having such success.

I read Odin's post earlier today. I might have to do this with a side by side comparison. Thanks Odin!
Thanks nj. My time is about to be consumed too. But I'm going for 6 gens of this with 2 spirit runs total. I'm hopeing this will keep me in good spirits (whiskey stock and attitude) for at least till summer. I can see where you get to know this recipe like an old friend! :esmile:
Condo33
bwpz
Novice

Post by bwpz »

So when you do your first strip run you get a bunch of the same liquid, after the foreshots. Then to do a spirit run off that you dilute it with backset to 30%? At that stage is when you take the necessary cuts, as well?
midnightmaraude
Swill Maker

Post by midnightmaraude »

How many inches of cracked corn in a 5 gallon bucket? I don't have a scale to measure out 7lbs
yankeeclear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yankeeclear »

bwpz wrote:So when you do your first strip run you get a bunch of the same liquid, after the foreshots. Then to do a spirit run off that you dilute it with backset to 30%? At that stage is when you take the necessary cuts, as well?
Yes, that is one way to do it. Some like to dilute with backset, others with fresh wash still others go with plain water. The important thing is to keep the ABV below 40% on the spirit run so that the low wines in the boiler are not flammable. Experiment and see what works for you.
“Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.”
-Yogi Berra
trueblueLSU
Novice

Post by trueblueLSU »

Started my First Mash Last sunday before the SuperBowl.... I just took a quick sniff to check the progress and Boy it sure smelld good... like Beer and Cornbread. Im on my 5th day of fermenting and figure I have maybe another day or two. Looking forward to running this. I have a 2" reflux column still and read alot of people have good results single distilling it running it slow. I am planning on using this method and making my cuts in half pint jars to be extra careful.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

midnightmaraude wrote:How many inches of cracked corn in a 5 gallon bucket? I don't have a scale to measure out 7lbs
Depending on the grind or crack, use 1-1/2 to 2 coffee cans full. That'll get you real close.
I never weigh out the corn, I just pour it in the fermenter until I am happy with it... but I use a larger fermenter. :D
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
southern traditions
Novice

Post by southern traditions »

midnightmaraude wrote:How many inches of cracked corn in a 5 gallon bucket? I don't have a scale to measure out 7lbs
According to my measurement somewhere in the neighborhood 3-4 inches should get you pretty close... :)

Martin
southern traditions
Novice

Odin wrote:To further enhance taste on your UJ (be it corn or other grains using the same method), this might be interesting reading:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=36241

Odin.
Thanks Odin for the info, just wished I had of seen this an hour or so ago. I'm on gen 5 and just pulled off 10 gals of wash and scrapped the top 1 1/2 of corn in my big fermenter and replaced it. The flavor in this gen ought to be getting pretty good so I'm interested to see how the flavor changes using the method you posted. I might have to start a new 20L ferment just to compare the two... Thanks again

Martin
midnightmaraude
Swill Maker

Fastill wrote:
Depending on the grind or crack, use 1-1/2 to 2 coffee cans full. That'll get you real close.
I never weigh out the corn, I just pour it in the fermenter until I am happy with it... but I use a larger fermenter. :D
It's course cracked corn. Not sure what that means. I got it from blue seal. I'll try the 3 to 4 inch method as I used with the sweet feed recipe
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method- SOUR MASH QUESTIO

Post by WNC-PrivateStock »

Simple Sour Mash Question

How long does this stuff need before it's ready to run. Mine has been in the fermenter for two weeks. The air lock is still kicking out about 20 bubbles per minute, so I guess it isn't quite ready yet...still fermenting... how long does it usually take???

Thank you so much
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Depends on temp, sugar content, ...

Two weeks is pretty long. Mine took about a week at room temp. Aiming for 9 to 10%. But if temps drop to 16 or 17 degrees C, two weeks it can be.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
southern traditions
Novice

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method- SOUR MASH QUESTIO

WNC-PrivateStock wrote:Simple Sour Mash Question

How long does this stuff need before it's ready to run. Mine has been in the fermenter for two weeks. The air lock is still kicking out about 20 bubbles per minute, so I guess it isn't quite ready yet...still fermenting... how long does it usually take???

Thank you so much
Like Odin said, usual is about 6-7 days, depends on temps and sugar content. Here lately I've been using a lil bit less sugar than the original recipe calls for. I shoot for a SG in the 1.070 - 1.080 range and try to keep the temps in the mid 70's using an aquarium heater or electric blanket wrapped around the 62L tub I use as a fermenter. My normal ferment time is 6 days...

Martin
on1wheel01

Post by on1wheel01 »

I usually keep mine in a spare bathroom. But I just did 3 5 gallon mashes. I put them in a coat closet with beach towels under, around, and covering most of top. After 4 days they have stopped bubbling for the most part. I will check the sg tomorrow. But man that was fast most before took 7 days.
trueblueLSU
Novice

Post by trueblueLSU »

Ran my Gen 1 batch last night.... (6 Gallon) I dropped about 150 Ml for fores. After another 100 or so for the heads I started getting a very sweet corn taste and smell. I collected about 700 Ml of what I think will taste great (152 broof) I then started into the tails and after about 300 mls I started getting another set of good flavor around 50% for about 500 mls... I might keep some of this for flavoring airing it out now and will put the best stuff oaking tomorrow.

Great learning experience.... never really had issues with temp jumping all over the place. Generation 2 is bubbling as I type this.
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Odin and Southern Traditions, thank you both. I guess it's been long enough then, I'll run it in a few days. It's kept at a constant 72 degrees because I'm set up for making wine where I keep my fermenters. I used 10 lbs of sugar for 5 gallons. I didn't check the potential alcohol when i started (I'd dropped my hydrometer) so there's no point in checking it now to see where I'm at.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

That's pretty much sugar. Yeast can handle it. Prolly around 13 to 14%. Makes sence the ferment takes longer. But ... aiming for a lower abv in your ferment will get you over more taste. My sweet spot on UJ-like ferments is to aim for 10%.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
WNC-PrivateStock
Novice

Odin wrote:That's pretty much sugar. Yeast can handle it. Prolly around 13 to 14%. Makes sence the ferment takes longer. But ... aiming for a lower abv in your ferment will get you over more taste. My sweet spot on UJ-like ferments is to aim for 10%.

Odin.

Thanks, I'll know for next time. I guess I misread, I thought that was the recommended amount for the recipe.
68MUDSTUD
Novice

Post by 68MUDSTUD »

Hey guys, I just got a big bag of corn, I'm wanting to do a 5 gallon batch. Are you guys using 7 pounds of hydrated cracked corn? Or, dry cracked corn? Are you waiting for the corn to hydrate before you pitch the yeast?

Thanks!
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

Dry out of the bag and no need to wait for the corn to hydrate before pitching th yeast.
68MUDSTUD
Novice

Post by 68MUDSTUD »

Outstanding, thanks! Will add sugar and yeast and top it off with water! Awesome, I get the 2000th post in this thread! hahaha :D
68MUDSTUD
Novice

Post by 68MUDSTUD »

Alright, 5 packs of Fleischmann's "RapidRise" highly active Yeast pitched in the pot at 84 degrees F. 14 cups of sugar, and about 3.5 inches of dry cracked corn. 5 gallons total. Will report back.

I really need a kitchen scale. :oops:
chamlin2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chamlin2 »

Ran my 3rd Gen last night!! I def does get better over time !!!
2nd gen is Oaking now 3rd gen will be oaking shortly!
Golly that's Good......
southern traditions
Novice

Ran a spirit run late yesterday afternoon of UJSSM. I had accumulated 4.5 gallons of low wines ( ABV was 55%) over several generations ( I've pulled a few pints of single run spirit previously ) and diluted it down to 30% with 2.5 gallons of my last wash (10% ABV) giving me 7 gallons to run. I split the 7 gallons into 2 batches since I don't like filling my 32quart pot that full. I charged my thumper with 2quarts of the same 10% wash.
The outcome: I pulled 4.5 quarts of 160 proof and one pint of 150 proof spirit that was clear as water AND I still have another 3.5 gallon run to make..
I could have kept running down a little lower but was tired and didn't want to get to greedy..

BTW
Now I'm waiting to see how the new ferment of UJSSM comes out. After taking a suggestion from ODIN and I believe it was Kentucky Shiner a few pages back in this thread I brought just a little over a gallon of water up to boil and added it to my new corn, letting it sit overnight and cool before adding it to my fermenter. What I noticed was a really nice smell of fresh corn, the kind of smell you get when your boiling fresh/raw corn on the stove. I hoping that the smell I noticed carries over to the flavor profile in this new batch of spirit..

Martin
Theo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Theo »

Ran a pot of low wines (diluted to 40%). Ran it nice & slow, just a pencil lead stream out of the parrot. Collected 11 pints after fores & heads & before a qt of tails. The first 10 pints proofed 160 down to 110. The last pint was 80 proof. All were smooth & the corn flavor was good.

The surprise was pint #9. The flavor was WAY better than any of the others. The look on my brother's face was priceless. Where did that come from? Needless to say, that pint didn't get mixed with any others!

Thanks to the mentors for teaching recipes, techniques, taking GOOD CUTS & patience!
:thumbup:
Still happy, Still learning, Still reading
Theo

New distiller reading lounge. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
toast860
Swill Maker

Post by toast860 »

judt made a 4th gen run of this stuff. it looked like a room full of men looking at hot girl or car. but i was very plz with the taste of it. it made me look like a pro infront of all the guys that come over to learn ... i am starting my own moonshine army. but 4th gen is the best so far it has a really nice taste i could diffently notice the whiskey flavor in it .. (if that make sense) now i just have to hide the stuff from the wifey
if you cant build a paper airplane, then leave the rocket alone.
its like wiping before you poop, dont make sense.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Not sure why but he backset smells horrible, but the next fermentation gets better and better hahaah really strange to dump in nasty smell that the next day is so floral.
midnightmaraude
Swill Maker

Mixed up a batch of this Friday but I used a gallon of my sweetfeed backset.
Beerandsuds
Novice

Post by Beerandsuds »

I'm going to try this recipe. That said I'm also going to try it going whole grain, just using malted corn. Since all the sugars will come from corn, what does everyone think about also fermenting the mashed corn in the fermenter, like the cracked corn?
68MUDSTUD
Novice

Post by 68MUDSTUD »

Ok, I've only been fermenting my first batch of this for 2 1/2 days... :o And now it is bubbling at 1 bubble every 50 seconds. run it tonight?