uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by acfixer69 »

Budapest8485 wrote:Curious... How much corn is enough to do 7 gallons of sugar wash at 9%? Trying to make a neutral spirit to run through a reflux still. The yeast is soooo happy about the nutrient in the corn! I've been making wine for 15 years and only once have I seen air passing through an airlock faster than this. There's a party going on it my fermenter!
Some is the easy answer None is the better answer if you looking for a neutral. UJ makes a good vodka in the first 2,3 4, gen's. Better to start with a recipe aimed for a neutral look at the t & T .
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

acfixer69 wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:Curious... How much corn is enough to do 7 gallons of sugar wash at 9%? Trying to make a neutral spirit to run through a reflux still. The yeast is soooo happy about the nutrient in the corn! I've been making wine for 15 years and only once have I seen air passing through an airlock faster than this. There's a party going on it my fermenter!
Some is the easy answer None is the better answer if you looking for a neutral. UJ makes a good vodka in the first 2,3 4, gen's. Better to start with a recipe aimed for a neutral look at the t & T .
I get it. I just like the way this ferment is going. The BW was a pain to ferment which I think might be part of why I have an off flavor neutral on my hands. Obviously you don't do generations when your intent is a neutral...so starting new each time I wonder how much corn is enough to provide the nutrient. I like corn better than tomatoes!
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Using this recipe but replacing the corn with wheat gives a good neutral from my experience. No generations.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Using this recipe but replacing the corn with wheat gives a good neutral from my experience. No generations.
This is a good point. Then I'd have something like Grey Goose I think... Tito's is corn I believe.

My pot still head is assembled. I have it full of 50/50 vinegar and water...I'll do a cleaning run tomorrow probably.

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

To make a wheat vodka, I split off some UJSSM trub and backset and add wheat instead of corn to make a three or four wash ferment, strip that, then put it through a Bokakob.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

NZChris wrote:To make a wheat vodka, I split off some UJSSM trub and backset and add wheat instead of corn to make a three or four wash ferment, strip that, then put it through a Bokakob.
That surprises me. Seems like this would be something other than a neutral with the backsets and trub. When you say 3-4 wash ferment, do you mean you're doing 3-4 generations of it?

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Budapest8485 wrote:
NZChris wrote:To make a wheat vodka, I split off some UJSSM trub and backset and add wheat instead of corn to make a three or four wash ferment, strip that, then put it through a Bokakob.
That surprises me. Seems like this would be something other than a neutral with the backsets and trub. When you say 3-4 wash ferment, do you mean you're doing 3-4 generations of it?
Reading Chris’s reply, I would believe he ferments enough to charge the boiler 3 or 4 times, stripping each charge and then running the low wines through the Boka....’cuz that’s the “way it’s done”.

Wouldn’t you?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Budapest8485 wrote:
Once I'm happy with the number of generations, I upscale the next generation to do at least three strips worth, each subsequent generation making enough low wines for a spirit run. For a wheat vodka, I pinch some of the trub and backset from that to make up a 3-4 wash ferment. I don't have any reasons to ferment and strip three successive generations of vodka wash, or any desire to single run washes in a Boka, so I just get the job over and done with quickly.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Gen two is started, Sour Mash is born! Sugar added to those backsets it tastes like sour patch kid.

Gen one smells like a barn...I didn't know I was smelling corn every time I went into a barn. Stripped it starting at 70% and took it down to 15%.

Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

I've been making wine for 15 years and generation two has more air passing through the airlock than I've ever seen before. It's like an air compressor blowing bubbles...no burps, just a steady fast stream of air. 83 degrees without any heat suppliment. I pulled the blanket off the fermenter to keep it from getting hotter.

I will likely be stripping this stuff over the weekend at this rate...48 hours to dry is my estimate. Those are some happy yeast!

Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Hello everyone. I'm on my 5th or 6th gen now and no problems so far. Great recipe thxs for all the good information. Just one thing tho on my 1st gen it fermented down to .990 and now everyone since stops at 1.000 so there not stalling. But I did try something on the last one. I made up the sour mash as the norm but with my leftover backseat I did a wash without the corn just 30% backset and sugar. The one with the corn in it stopped at 1.000 but the one with no corn went to .992. Does anyone know why this would happen. Same recipe just no corn. The only thing I can think of is the fresh yeast. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated thanks
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Canadashine wrote:Hello everyone. I'm on my 5th or 6th gen now and no problems so far. Great recipe thxs for all the good information. Just one thing tho on my 1st gen it fermented down to .990 and now everyone since stops at 1.000 so there not stalling. But I did try something on the last one. I made up the sour mash as the norm but with my leftover backseat I did a wash without the corn just 30% backset and sugar. The one with the corn in it stopped at 1.000 but the one with no corn went to .992. Does anyone know why this would happen. Same recipe just no corn. The only thing I can think of is the fresh yeast. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated thanks

I’d say the higher reading is from the unfermentables, which is no problem. As long as its getting close to 1.000 your good to go!
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I tried something new. I added a small bag of sweet corn to the mix. It sure smells good.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Just started gen 1 today. Oxygenated with my Stone and she took off three hours later![img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201812 ... 17008a.jpg[/img]
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

6 Row Joe wrote:I tried something new. I added a small bag of sweet corn to the mix. It sure smells good.

Just transferred it to secondary. It finished at .990. 11.610 sounds good.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

2.5 day ferment, finished at .996. Wowza.
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

My first 5 generations were all done in less than 3 days. Now my 6th is on day 5 and still going but that's probably my fault since I went from 30% backset to 60 65% to try and get more flavor
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

It moves fast! I'm sure my gen three is done in 3 days...I can't still it tonight, so I'll just wait to check when I have time to run it.

I doubled the batch for gen three. I'm going to double it again for gen four and hold it at that level. Then I'll have enough to do four striping runs and a spirit run every generation.

tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

I can't still mine until Saturday which is a bummer.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Doing the spirit run today...wow this stuff is smooth! I'm happy. This is gen 1, 2, and 3 stripped going through it now. Much of the corn forwardness is gone.

Feints... I'm collecting them now. I dumped the foreshots. Should I add these feints into the low wines from generation 4? Or are feints used for vodka in my reflux bokabob?

tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Budapest8485 wrote:Doing the spirit run today...wow this stuff is smooth! I'm happy. This is gen 1, 2, and 3 stripped going through it now. Much of the corn forwardness is gone.

Feints... I'm collecting them now. I dumped the foreshots. Should I add these feints into the low wines from generation 4? Or are feints used for vodka in my reflux bokabob?
So you lost a lot of the corn flavor?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Budapest8485 wrote:Doing the spirit run today...wow this stuff is smooth! I'm happy. This is gen 1, 2, and 3 stripped going through it now. Much of the corn forwardness is gone.

You can do it either way, I usually run feints in my next generation. But at times I have saved up feints for an all feints run. It has produced some of my best neutrals.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

tjans wrote:

The corn is still there, just not the only thing I notice now. I'm searching for butterscotch...not sure it's there yet, but I detect something.

tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Budapest8485 wrote:
tjans wrote:

The corn is still there, just not the only thing I notice now. I'm searching for butterscotch...not sure it's there yet, but I detect something.
Nice. How much did you yield out of your strips?

I'm gonna strip my first gen this weekend. Looking forward to it. Wonder how many gens I'll need to get to my full boiler capacity.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

tjans wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:
tjans wrote:

Nice. How much did you yield out of your strips?

I'm gonna strip my first gen this weekend. Looking forward to it. Wonder how many gens I'll need to get to my full boiler capacity.
I get about 1.5 gallons of low wines per 6 gallons of UJSSM. The ABV of gens 1-3 in the boiler was about 40 percent...maybe a little higher. So I had four 6 gallon stripping runs to fill up my boiler.

Dropping in ABV now. Down to about 140 proof. I'm not sure where I should expect to get into the tails, but I don't smell anything yet.

To finish I'm going to crank it up and strip the rest off for recycling.

tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

I think they recommend 80 down to 70 for Spirit run.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

tjans wrote:I think they recommend 80 down to 70 for Spirit run.
I just cranked up the heat when it was down to 110 proof and stripped the rest out. There wasn't much left...maybe half a gallon.

I took the deep hearts to a party last night... Told them I know a guy who makes moonshine :lol: A wide range of feedback...hardcore, smooth, different... I drank it mixed with soda all night and I feel like a champ this morning. I get hangovers easy and I'd probably have one on anything else after 5-6 drinks last night.

tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Budapest8485 wrote:
tjans wrote:I think they recommend 80 down to 70 for Spirit run.
I just cranked up the heat when it was down to 110 proof and stripped the rest out. There wasn't much left...maybe half a gallon.

I took the deep hearts to a party last night... Told them I know a guy who makes moonshine :lol: A wide range of feedback...hardcore, smooth, different... I drank it mixed with soda all night and I feel like a champ this morning. I get hangovers easy and I'd probably have one on anything else after 5-6 drinks last night.
That's awesome. Looking forward to distilling mine tomorrow.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

My places smells like day old beer... Not sure if it's from the distilling or the UJSSM gen four.

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Budapest8485 wrote:My places smells like day old beer...
That's AWESOME! :clap:
Mine just smells like wet puppy dogs and feet...and sometime cooking :oops:
Getting hung up all day on smiles