uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by Budapest8485 »

Expat wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:Just put down my first crack at this..... lets see how the journey goes..... :thumbup:

3.2Kg Cracked Corn,
3Kg Sugar (convenient for bags that I had)
1 tablespoon of Lowans yeast pitched at 35C
19L of water
:D
I'm sure it will go fast. My generations 1-3 were very fast to finish. Generations 4-5 are much slower.
Re your generations 4-5. Likely you're PH is getting low and slowing things down. Some oyster shell in a cotton bag will keep things running along.
This is what I did. Surprising how fast the thing turned around. pH of 2.9 went to 3.4 the next day. It's dry now, so I'm back in business.
Saltbush Bill wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:Generations 4-5 are much slower.
Use less Backset.
Makes sense. I'll take your advice for the ferment. I'll probably take this to 7 generations.

I oaked my first spirit run...wow, that changes everything. It now smells like whiskey. Compared to what I left white there's no similarity I can detect. White smells like butterscotch...oaked smells almost peated. I wish I could describe it better.
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Budapest8485 wrote: I'll probably take this to 7 generations.
There is no reason that you cant go to 70 gens if you want. A UJ wash will sit happily for months on end if its in a air tight or airlocked fermenter...there is no rush to distill it.. The yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenter should fire right back up when you add more sugar and water, a little new grain may help as well.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Yep what he said. I have leftovers on standby.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

6 Row Joe wrote:Yep what he said. I have leftovers on standby.
I think I'll follow youtube Jesse's approach and freeze some backsets for later use if I want to make more. I'm not a huge whiskey fan and I don't have the storage space to keep a generation sitting there for months down the road. I'm on to rum and vodka next...I like these much better.

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Once you get past 7 or 8 gens on this is there any flavor loss or does it hold the same flavor. I'm doing a sprit run on gens 5 though 8 as I type. Just wondering if I should start back at 1 or keep going as it's just getting lots of flavor in the last 2 stripping runs. So hopefully that will carry over in this sprit run. Thxs
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Canadashine wrote:Once you get past 7 or 8 gens on this is there any flavor loss or does it hold the same flavor.
I'm a little confused as to why you would think flavour could be lost after 7-8 gens ?
In my opinion it gets better , keep adding backset each time, remove some of the old grain and add a bit of new grain every generation or two and you can go on doing generations forever.
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

The only reason I asked is bc i keep reading the ppl only go 7 or 8 gens. Not sure if that's bc of a stalling issue or if it was bc the product just became not as good. I'm not having stalling issues do to putting a small jelly bag full of oyster shells in my wash
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Canadashine wrote:The only reason I asked is bc i keep reading the ppl only go 7 or 8 gens. Not sure if that's bc of a stalling issue or if it was bc the product just became not as good. I'm not having stalling issues do to putting a small jelly bag full of oyster shells in my wash
I'm going to stop at 7 or 8 coz I have too much whiskey! Keeping a couple gallons of backsets in the freezer to avoid having to go through 3 generations seems like a reasonable approach. I can fire it right up with some new yeast, sugar, and corn.

Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Canadashine wrote:Once you get past 7 or 8 gens on this is there any flavor loss or does it hold the same flavor.
I'm a little confused as to why you would think flavour could be lost after 7-8 gens ?
In my opinion it gets better , keep adding backset each time, remove some of the old grain and add a bit of new grain every generation or two and you can go on doing generations forever.
I agree because the flavour gets better and better, to the point your spirit is a whole different and better animal. I think Saltbush Bill had about 70 generations before he stopped counting, I stopped counting at Gen 34 :lolno:

If your ferment slows down, just back off the amount of backsets you add to the next 1 or 2 Gens.

I have never used oyster shell or checked PH and never had a problem, if it sounds to simple it’s meant to be that way in my opinion.

CHR
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

There is a good reason for this...a yeast strain adapts, not only to the sub-straight but to the whole environment of the still house. After several generations the strain has become your "house-strain"...The pro's spend BIG BUCKS to preserve their house-strains...I've heard some individuals claim that it actually adapts to the personality of the Distiller and his or her tastes...but what do I know ?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Post by The Dark Alchemist »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:
Copperhead road wrote:
Saltbush Bill wrote:
Budapest8485 wrote:Generations 4-5 are much slower.
Use less Backset.
Bang on Salty and you have more generations up your sleeve than most, there is no need to fark around with oyster shells and get pedantic with PH or PH testing......it’s not rocket science just back off on the Backsets for the next 1 or 2 Gens......presto! :crazy:

There is no substitute for experience :ewink:
Noted.....

Day 2: It's fizzing and bubbling away like a good un now!!!! :clap:
Ran the first Gen last night down to 22% off the still; ~40%abv product tastes good off the still!!!!! 2nd Gen fired almost straight away, and is bubbling away like a jacuzzi this morning.......
Plan to add Gen 1 output to Gen 2 run as discussed on this thread and set Gen 3 later in the week.

Next question is how to treat once run....
dirtyhands0321
Novice

Post by dirtyhands0321 »

Just wanted to say thank you to Uncle Jesse and everyone on this thread, I’m on my 5 generation and it’s good stuff! A quick funny story; I had a friend and his wife over for their anniversary, my buddy is a big whiskey snob and just did the bourbon trail in kentucky last weekend. So I thought I would do a test, I poured off my UJSSM that was aged for 7 days with Jack Daniels oak barrel chips and a vanilla bean, and poured it into an empty Willett bottle (the one that looks like a pot still). They poured some in a glass and started sipping it, they went on to tell me and my wife how they loved the Willett Distillery and how great their whiskey is..... I started laughing as was my wife. They asked why we where laughing, and of course, I told them I made it. They didn’t believe me! All I have to say is that this is good stuff! Thanks everyone including Uncle Jesse for this solid recipe!!

dirtyhands0321
Attachments
5A2B7E0A-67A5-49DC-9B40-E02C239D69C6.jpeg
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

dirtyhands0321 wrote:Just wanted to say thank you to Uncle Jesse and everyone on this thread, I’m on my 5 generation and it’s good stuff! A quick funny story; I had a friend and his wife over for their anniversary, my buddy is a big whiskey snob and just did the bourbon trail in kentucky last weekend. So I thought I would do a test, I poured off my UJSSM that was aged for 7 days with Jack Daniels oak barrel chips and a vanilla bean, and poured it into an empty Willett bottle (the one that looks like a pot still). They poured some in a glass and started sipping it, they went on to tell me and my wife how they loved the Willett Distillery and how great their whiskey is..... I started laughing as was my wife. They asked why we where laughing, and of course, I told them I made it. They didn’t believe me! All I have to say is that this is good stuff! Thanks everyone including Uncle Jesse for this solid recipe!!

dirtyhands0321
I have some whiskey snob friends too. Can't wait to to a tasting with them.

I'll still my buckets of gen 4 and gen 5 this weekend...yeah, strange but I have one of each. Afterwards I'll have enough for a second spirit run.

dirtyhands0321
Novice

Post by dirtyhands0321 »

Enjoy your run this weekend! You should pour off your whiskey in a brand name bourbon bottle and see if your friends notice!

How much do you typically yield in each batch? I usually get about just under a gallon before I make my cut for tails.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Day 2: It's fizzing and bubbling away like a good un now!!!! :clap:

Ran the first Gen last night down to 22% off the still; ~40%abv product tastes good off the still!!!!! 2nd Gen fired almost straight away, and is bubbling away like a jacuzzi this morning.......
Plan to add Gen 1 output to Gen 2 run as discussed on this thread and set Gen 3 later in the week.

Next question is how to treat once run....
So Gen 4 hasn't fired. Read back through the thread looking for stalled washes. I did use less backset when putting the wash down in anticipation.

This morning, added 2x egg shells to the 25L wash (anticipate pH issue, but I have no way of measuring). There is also talk of addition of bicarb and/ or epsom salts to help spark some action.

Any advice? :think:
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

First off... CK your hydrometer, looks Okay! I'd go with two heaping tablespoons of fresh bakers yeast, rehydrate it in 8 fl ozs of lukewarm water (not wash, that will kill it) let it sit for 1/2 hour, then pitch it in. Take out a pint of your wash, warm it, and add a tablespoon of either tomato paste, DAP yeast nutrient or, if your from down-under, a tsp or two of vegemite or marmite.
Next time you can, go the brewstore and get some pH paper and find out where you are...my 2 C's Kiwi
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

kiwi Bruce wrote:First off... CK your hydrometer, looks Okay! I'd go with two heaping tablespoons of fresh bakers yeast, rehydrate it in 8 fl ozs of lukewarm water (not wash, that will kill it) let it sit for 1/2 hour, then pitch it in. Take out a pint of your wash, warm it, and add a tablespoon of either tomato paste, DAP yeast nutrient or, if your from down-under, a tsp or two of vegemite or marmite.
Next time you can, go the brewstore and get some pH paper and find out where you are...my 2 C's Kiwi
Cheers Kiwi - yep, just across the ditch from you mate! What does the Vegemite do - assume something to do with the yeast.... Will set that tonight and see how it goes.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:I did use less backset when putting the wash down in anticipation.
How much is less and in what size Ferment ?
I doubt its a lack of nutrients causing the problem.
How long has the wash been sitting since you put down the last unsuccessful Generation ?
Generations don't always fire up immediately when using the old yeast bed ....can take 24hour sometimes before they show signs of life.
Also are you sure its not fermenting ....could the fermeter lid be loose or the air lock leaking. The only sure way to know is to remove the lid and look inside.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Absolutely -^^^^^^^^^^^^ I fired up my next gen after setting since before the holidays. I expect it to take off tomorrow or the day after.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:I did use less backset when putting the wash down in anticipation.
How long has the wash been sitting since you put down the last unsuccessful Generation ?
Generations don't always fire up immediately when using the old yeast bed ....can take 24hour sometimes before they show signs of life.
Also are you sure its not fermenting ....could the fermeter lid be loose or the air lock leaking. The only sure way to know is to remove the lid and look inside.
Saltbush,
23L wash and was using 5L backset in G2&3; reduced it to 2.5L in G4. Skimmed about a handful of corn of the top and replaced.
G3 was run 16th Jan (5 days ago), and G4 laid down that night. I was short of 1Kg of sugar, so added that the next morning, after dissolving in about 0.5L backset, still warm in the boiler.
The lid seal is usually no problem; I have another fermenter, which never bubbles, but this one is usually good - I have checked that a couple of times too. I have also checked there is air between the bottom of the airlock and top of the liquid and it tastes sweeter than I recall G3. I have looked inside, and it isn't fizzing.
I'm keen to see if there has been any action since the egg shells went in this morning, when I get home.
Tonight, I'll check SG, but haven't any other references as I didn't take SG at the start....
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

kiwi Bruce wrote:First off... CK your hydrometer, looks Okay! I'd go with two heaping tablespoons of fresh bakers yeast, rehydrate it in 8 fl ozs of lukewarm water (not wash, that will kill it) let it sit for 1/2 hour, then pitch it in. Take out a pint of your wash, warm it, and add a tablespoon of either tomato paste, DAP yeast nutrient or, if your from down-under, a tsp or two of vegemite or marmite.
KB,
What reading would be OK? I have no reference in terms of starting SG....
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Saltbush,
23L wash and was using 5L backset in G2&3; reduced it to 2.5L in G4. Skimmed about a handful of corn of the top and replaced.
G3 was run 16th Jan (5 days ago), and G4 laid down that night. I was short of 1Kg of sugar, so added that the next morning, after dissolving in about 0.5L backset, still warm in the boiler.
The lid seal is usually no problem; I have another fermenter, which never bubbles, but this one is usually good - I have checked that a couple of times too. I have also checked there is air between the bottom of the airlock and top of the liquid and it tastes sweeter than I recall G3. I have looked inside, and it isn't fizzing.
I'm keen to see if there has been any action since the egg shells went in this morning, when I get home.
Tonight, I'll check SG, but haven't any other references as I didn't take SG at the start....
Whooshka!!!
Bubbling like a champion as I walked into the brew-shed...... Must have been a pH problem and the eggs have nailed it..... These forums are great, so much fab info.... thanks to all contributors, past and present :thumbup: :clap:
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Whooshka!!!
Bubbling like a champion as I walked into the brew-shed...... Must have been a pH problem and the eggs have nailed it..... These forums are great, so much fab info.... thanks to all contributors, past and present :thumbup: :clap:
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Yep, mine too. It was dead all day yesterday, Bubbling like a boss this morning. Sour mash smells so good.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

So was it really the couple of egg shells.....or would it have taken off regardless give another half day or so?
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:So was it really the couple of egg shell.....or would it have taken of regardless give another half day or so?
I'll never know, but what does back it up is the fact that on G3, I did get a lower yield, so maybe it stalled during G3 and I didn't really recognise it. As soon as the shells went in, they fizzed up, indicating something was happening.. Still bubbling like a beauty this morning..... :D
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Good day all. I'm on gen 7 now and I'm in the process of ramping up from 5g to 15g batches. I'm question is will the yeast that in my 5g batch be enough to get the 15g going or should I add more yeast to get it to kick. Thx
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Canadashine wrote:Good day all. I'm on gen 7 now and I'm in the process of ramping up from 5g to 15g batches. I'm question is will the yeast that in my 5g batch be enough to get the 15g going or should I add more yeast to get it to kick. Thx
If you're talking transfering the remaining cracked corn and trub to the larger container, yeah, the yeast colony will grow to the new size. No need or benefit to repitching.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Canadashine »

Expat wrote:
Canadashine wrote:Good day all. I'm on gen 7 now and I'm in the process of ramping up from 5g to 15g batches. I'm question is will the yeast that in my 5g batch be enough to get the 15g going or should I add more yeast to get it to kick. Thx
If you're talking transfering the remaining cracked corn and trub to the larger container, yeah, the yeast colony will grow to the new size. No need or benefit to repitching.
Ok thxs for the fast reply. In the new fermenter now. Let see how long it will take to kick
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The Dark Alchemist wrote: What does the Vegemite do - assume something to do with the yeast....
It's a really good yeast food/nutrient, I like it better than tomato paste.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There should be no reason to use extra nutrients in a UJSM wash. The crushed grains supply all that the yeast needs.