uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by raketemensch »

bitter wrote:Thank HDBN,

I am trying to keep it going but house temps not helping things... in the mid 60's and things definitely not fermenting at a reasonable rate. Might be done for the year till spring :( after this bunch. Will keep some backset to restart if that is the end result.
It seems a shame to give up, have you looked into heating options? I'm picking up an aquarium heater this afternoon, they're usually under $20.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

My problem is also running the still in the winter. Its a boka... so need outside tap.. at -20f will freeze solid... not setup to run in the house at the moment and not easy to setup right now...

I might just build a pot still head for my keg and this would allow me to do pretty fast stripping runs in the garage.. and use 1/2 or 3/4" worm in a 5g pale of water. If it starts to warm up put some snow in it ;) And have another pail of water to periodically swap some ware out..

Also if I move the ferments down by the corn stove once core is available I think I can get faster ferments... Will definitely need to do a strip then spirit run though. with just a pot still head and take larger head cuts. Love how with the boca I can put things into reflex and separate out a nice fores cut then switch to pot still mode.

No 220v in the basement either and pita to run a line there... so not happening... Can't use propane in the basement either so uninsulated garage it will have to be.

B
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Could use a Brute trash can, like a 32 gallon and a pond pump to recirculate the water. My pump couldn't move the water high enough at first, 6 ft lift on the pump. I put it on a roll around table gained 3 feet, shortened to hoses and Bobs my Uncle. :D
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Haus6565 wrote:Could use a Brute trash can, like a 32 gallon and a pond pump to recirculate the water. My pump couldn't move the water high enough at first, 6 ft lift on the pump. I put it on a roll around table gained 3 feet, shortened to hoses and Bobs my Uncle. :D
Since it's not going to touch your product, you could probably get away with a cheaper can, too.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Q: what would happen if you cooked the corn ( in my case; barley) to a pretty soft state in a ujssm?

Nothing? Goodness? Horribleness?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

release the starch with no conversion. unfermentables...cooked...=funny tasting alcohol gravy??

actually, i don't know, never done it. i think you would risk a puke with starch carry over to the boiler, prolly it would settle down after a hot break. i doubt it would improve flavour...but maybe...i would say try it and report back but i don't think it's worth the effort, and pukes can be hazardous.

if you are going to expend the heat to cook it, may as well introduce some malt or enzymes and make sugar out of it. AG+sugar =gumballhead?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Alcohol gravy! Lol! Thx for the tips! What you say Makes sense.
KineticE
Novice

Post by KineticE »

Sorry if this question has been covered in the hundred plus pages but I'm very curious. I have an all copper 5 gallon pot still with a thumper keg. I want to start UJSSM this weekend and an wondering what affect the thumper will have on my runs and final product. What are the negatives and positives or any other advice you could give. Thanks! :oops:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

That's a loaded question because a thumper can have different effects on the spirit depending on how you use it. With a larger thumper, equal to or near the size of your boiler, you can use it to increase the amount of wash you process. I have a 5 gallon boiler and a 4 gallon thumper. I can run 4 to 4.5 gallons of wash in the boiler and about 2 gallons in the thumper for a total charge of 6 to 6.5 gallons. So, instead of 3 stripping runs just using the boiler, I cut it to 2 runs with the thumper attached.

Many ways to charge a thumper for a spirit run - you can charge it with plain water to clean up the flavor, you can charge it with some reserved wash to maintain the flavor and at the same time increase the output ABV, or you can charge it with the same low wines as the boiler for increased ABV. You can also use it to infuse flavor by adding flavoring agents using a fill port (shoot the thumper).

A thumper can add a great deal of flexibility and enhancement to the way you run a pot still. Up to you to figure out how you want to use it to your own advantage.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

KineticE wrote:Sorry if this question has been covered in the hundred plus pages but I'm very curious. I have an all copper 5 gallon pot still with a thumper keg. I want to start UJSSM this weekend and an wondering what affect the thumper will have on my runs and final product. What are the negatives and positives or any other advice you could give. Thanks! :oops:
You would get a lot of different answers, depending on what individuals like. There's a good Thumper thread in my signature, make sure to give it a read.

For the most part, people here have been here for a long time, and have answered the same questions many, many times, so it's best to do some research yourself before asking questions. The "HD Google Search" in the middle up top is more useful that the forum search in the top right-hand corner. I'd suggest settling in for a few days of reading before getting rolling. Also, make sure you've done you cleaning runs. I highly recommend the Spoon Feed thread in the Novice area.

As long as your thumper is well-plumbed and at least 1/3 to 1/2 the size of your boiler, it's a Good Thing.
KineticE
Novice

Post by KineticE »

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond and point me in the right direction. I have spent much time reading on this forum and man, there is so much more to learn and read!! Even the things I have read require re-reading and I'm sure there will be more re-reading required beyond that! :crazy:

As for the thumper, I was curious if there were others who had input, particularly with the UJSSM recipe, with the use of a thump keg and how it benefits/detriments the final product. You guys helped me right out with that and I thank you!

So, I have my 3rd generation fermenting right now and there are some things I wanted to share about my experience so far to see if you guys wanted to kick back some feedback or to offer advice on what you think is best or what direction I should go in with my future generations. For fermentation vessels I am using a 6.5 gallon brewing bucket and a 6 gallon carboy. Obviously, the carboy prevents you from reaching in and removing spent corn like the recipe calls for but I have an observation about that that I wanted to share with you guys. Both the 2nd gen and now the 3rd gen ferments have kicked off like a bat out of hell in the carboy. I removed no spent corn from it and, as for now, cannot detect a difference in taste in the beer or distillation. The bucket on the other hand, I removed spent corn only from it and it starts bubbling up at around the same time as the carboy but with nowhere near the same intensity. I thought that peculiar and was wondering why that might be or what it means for the mash. Just to note, I've used the same amount of carefully measured ingredients in each so I'm guessing it doesn't have anything to do with that. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the spent corn still being in there or that maybe the carboy keeps the warmth in a bit better than the bucket providing a better environment for the yeasties to thrive. In this last gen mash, I added a half a teaspoon of yeast to the bucket just in the case that I, by scooping up the spent corn, inadvertently removed some of the yeast. Looking at the two vessels right now though, it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I keep both of the vessels on top of a floor vent in my living room as it is cold up here (N.E. States) right now and other portions of my house are just too cold.

As for the product I am producing, between the first and second runs I cannot tell too much of a difference in taste in the various cuts. I'm following the beginners guide to cutting by taking the safe route and separating fores, hearts, and tails and not getting fancy with much as I want to learn to detect the various stages and when they start to become more efficient. You can definitely tell that this is mostly a sugar wash at these early stages. I'm hoping that the third gen will produce more corn flavor. Oh and, the first gen produced a higher proof than the second.

I'm sure there are smany things I'm leaving out so any questions ask away!

Also, mods, if I should be posting this elsewhere please let me know and feel free to remove the post. As you can see, I haven't posted a whole lot in my time here so some leniency would be appreciated!!

Thanks guys!!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

There are many different ways to do the distillation. It's a matter of personal preference. With the thumper, you can do a single run with the boiler and the thumper both charged with the same wash and run it low and slow like a spirit run. The thumper will help keep the ABV up a bit. The ABV is best around 62% for aging. Many members here do a few stripping runs (hot and fast) followed by combining the low wines from the strips into a spirit run, which would be run low and slow so as not to smear the cuts together. You can do the spirit run with or without the thumper attached. There are many other methods and I'm sure most of them are covered here in this thread.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I over-sugared my 5th gen, and am stuck at 1.010. I started out at 1.0965 (due to a misunderstanding of my new brix refractometer), so this may be as "done" as I'm going to get.

What worries me is what I might've done to my yeast. The temp has been precisely controlled, but I hadn't added any oyster shells, so my ph dropped down to 3. I've got it back up again, but it hasn't budged from 1.010 for over a week now. I guess I can run it as is, but what does this mean for my next generation? Is my yeast likely to still be alive, and ready to kick off when I start gen 6?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I would think it would be OK for the next gen. If the yeast got trashed, just aerate and repitch.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I would think it would be OK for the next gen. If the yeast got trashed, just aerate and repitch.
for sure! if nothing else, they will be good food for the new yeast.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Check your pH.

tp
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

T-Pee wrote:Check your pH.

tp
I did, I've got it back up to between 5 and 6. It's also got 4 cups of oyster shells in a 25-gallon ferment.

Which reminds me -- when running a multi-generational wash like this, how often do people add more shells?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I usually take the shells out (whole shells) and reweigh them to get an idea of how much is getting used, adding more only if they are getting very thin or the starting pH is low.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Ran off 10 gallons the other day and have 24 gallons of gen2 going. Next weekend I'll strip that, start gen3 and spirit blend of gen1 and gen2 together. Aquarium heaters are amazing!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

If you decide you need more shell don't add it to the hot backset...volcano city...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Is it a crazy bad idea to run a ujssm 1 day earlier than I normally would?

I expect my 1st gen to be ready on Saturday, but I am suddenly called back to work that morning.... I get home late tonight, and was thinking about running it tomorrow, at least so I can generate Backset for the 2nd gen.

Terrible idea?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Why would you run it before it's done? It'll wait for you. If you're worried about the lees waiting in the fermenter, put a couple of gallons of water on it and a cup of sugar, seal it up, airlock it, and let the CO2 keep it good til you're ready to start your next ferment.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

+1 on SCak . It can wait longer than it can be rushed .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

What happens to it if it IS rushed? I haven't run my newly finished still yet and after the cleanness runs I was sort of itching to use half my batch for the sac run and the other half to generate Backset so that next time I'm home I can run something worth keeping....

Is there something detrimental beyond "it's a waste"?

My trigger finger is getting itchy!! I've been working on this still for over a year and a half!!! I retired my 4 gallon still a year ago, and, and, and, and... Well... I'm a terrible person.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Can you say "sugar puke"? I knew you could.

tp
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Hmmmmm. I've never had a puking incident before.

My still is one of those 15 gallon brewhaus cream can kettles...

If I only put four or five gallons in and run it real slow, do you think I could avoid a puke? Or do you figure it's inevetible?

Like I said... Bad person.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

With that little loaded, I doubt it. You will get less final product and maybe a bit of a sticky mess at the end. Ready to clean that out?

Besides, this hobby rewards patience. If you have trouble now, it'll be much worse when you get into aging and believe me, THAT is worth the wait.
The changes that happen after a few months of being left alone are nothing short of amazing.

tp
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Yeah... I managed to let my very last batch of uj sit on a combination of charred and toasted oak for (almost) a month and a half and even THAT was startling.

I guess since I've waited THIS long...

Maybe I will just run my water and vinegar runs tomorrow...
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

A lot of my stock is over a year old now. VERY tasty!

tp (slow drinker)
Scribbler
Rumrunner

uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by Scribbler »

My hydrometer is currently testing at 1.005

It read around 1.120 when I measured before I added my grains and pitched the yeast.