uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No plastic to be used for low wines storage.
Bread/ bakers yeast, any whisky yeast..or other yeast will do. I would suggest steering clear of Champaign type yeasts though...things like ec1118.....those are best left for vodka or neutral type washes.
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:25 pm No plastic to be used for low wines storage.
Bread/ bakers yeast, any whisky yeast..or other yeast will do. I would suggest steering clear of Champaign type yeasts though...things like ec1118.....those are best left for vodka or neutral type washes.
Meh that's not good news wine will be not ready in another 1 or 2 months so I will have to wait then :roll:
Righty I will go for some ale maybe thanks alot for answer :)
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Virandell wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 pm
Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:25 pm No plastic to be used for low wines storage.
Meh that's not good news wine will be not ready in another 1 or 2 months so I will have to wait then :roll:
Righty I will go for some ale maybe thanks alot for answer :)
If you’re somewhere with a buy and sell on Facebook, out an ad out looking for carboys or gallon jugs. I picked up 35 one gallon jugs for 2$ a pop. People just don’t want them cluttering their basements!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Windswept wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:33 pm If you’re somewhere with a buy and sell on Facebook, out an ad out looking for carboys or gallon jugs. I picked up 35 one gallon jugs for 2$ a pop. People just don’t want them cluttering their basements!
I seen a guy selling 15 1gallon demijhons for 10 or 15£ but that's not the problem the problem is space :mrgreen: I live in a flat and I am packed already with barrels, buckets demijhons etc I am surprised my wife didn't kicked me out :lol: I will wait when wine will finish and then I will be thinking :)
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Virandell wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:37 pm
Windswept wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:33 pm If you’re somewhere with a buy and sell on Facebook, out an ad out looking for carboys or gallon jugs. I picked up 35 one gallon jugs for 2$ a pop. People just don’t want them cluttering their basements!
I seen a guy selling 15 1gallon demijhons for 10 or 15£ but that's not the problem the problem is space :mrgreen: I live in a flat and I am packed already with barrels, buckets demijhons etc I am surprised my wife didn't kicked me out :lol: I will wait when wine will finish and then I will be thinking :)
Ah, I get you. That’s too bad!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Virandell wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:54 pm Hi guys after hook rum I am preparing for first UJSSM run what yeast would you reccomend for it ale or lager and what kind you found interesting ? also another silly question can I keep low wines in plastic fermentation bucket ? In my glass 5gallon demijohn I have wine currently :roll:
Ale and lager yeasts ferment relatively slowly, especially if used at temperatures for flavor development. Because this method doesn't kill any bacteria on the grains, you have a higher chance of failure than if you use the recommended yeasts.

Plastic? :roll:
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

NZChris wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:40 pm Ale and lager yeasts ferment relatively slowly, especially if used at temperatures for flavor development. Because this method doesn't kill any bacteria on the grains, you have a higher chance of failure than if you use the recommended yeasts.

Plastic? :roll:
Hmm that's a good point actually with ale yeast, so what you reccomending just baker yeast or like whisky yeast ? I am abit worried baker yeast might leave not pleasant taste but with rum that wasn't a problem really I don't know is it becouse it's cultivated in molasses ? Or for corn will be fine aswell. I found one like that https://www.google.com/search?q=whisky+ ... cJMlZHybUM
I managed to convince my wife for another 2x 1 gallon demijhons :lol: + I will have another 2 gallon of free space soon becouse my sour cherry, raspberry and blackberry liquor is almost ready another 1 gallon I am planning to keep in wine bottles that will give me about 5 gallons of low wines so that will be perfect for spirit run :)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Bakers yeast works for UJSSM........no need to over think this recipe. We are not making beer or wine here.
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:08 pm Bakers yeast works for UJSSM........no need to over think this recipe. We are not making beer or wine here.
Yee you are right actually I will go for baker yeast then and today I am preparing UJJSM I just bought 20kg of sugar :D
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

My Cheatin' Heart! Working Gen II

Post by n_plains_drifter »

I've been ponderin' my next thang, and wondering what I could make that would a) taste fine, b) teach me something new.

I was strippin' last night (with my clothes on), and looking for a new project. You can hardly go anywhere on HD without a UJSSM reference, so what do you think tripped my trigger?

I was stripping some Gumball Head from my Third Wave Bourbon AG that I ran last weekend. I ran the gumball on a 28 lb grain bill, w/ 40 lbs sugar distributed across 5 fermenters.I realized I had a bunch of sugar in the larder, and lots of lees coming on line.

I've spread the lees across 4 fermenters and added backset (cheating) from my gumball. This morning I had to run for cracked corn, but got that straigtened out, so I'm working a bastardized gen two UJSSM.
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:02 am Keep at it and start getting some of that UJ aged either as white dog or on oak. It will just get better with age.
A quick general question: What % should you age it? I've just done a combined generations 1-3 spirit run and I have about 3.0L at 65%. Tastes quite nice diluted to roughly 40%. Should I bottle it and leave in the basement at 65% or cut it to 40%?
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

65 if your oaking
40 ish white, just for kicks try a range of abv's- it can actually make a difference to the flavour
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As above ..keep a bit white for drinking now at 40ish, I oak / age at 62% but anywhere in the 60-65% range will be fine.
just_still
Novice

Post by just_still »

This is a great recipe for salvaging a failed all grain mash. I attempted an all-corn recipe with 50lbs feed store cracked corn and 30gal water using the no-cook enzyme method. I noticed the pieces of cracked corn were a bit large and I ran with it anyway. Conversion was abysmal, I ended up with an OG around 1.012. Not wanting to admit failure I aerated and pitched the yeast. it fizzled for a day and then stopped. The next day I went and picked up 30lbs of sugar, added and aerated, and she took right off with a vigorous fermentation.

Looks like I essentially made UJSSM without the sour mash part. I'll still end up with some booze, and I learned a valuable lesson. Cracked corn straight from the bag is NOT suitable for our purposes.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:18 pm As above ..keep a bit white for drinking now at 40ish, I oak / age at 62% but anywhere in the 60-65% range will be fine.
wow, I've been putting it in a 5 gallon barrel at 55%, I'm thinking I should kick that up a notch! It comes out tasting great at about 6 months, but the colour isn't really good and I bet it could be better.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If your happy with 55% then do it that way......do what suits you and what you like..... your the one drinking it.
tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Hey folks, newish to distilling. I've got two generations of ujssm stripped, and the third one fully fermented and ready for its stripping run. in the meantime, I've been pondering something.

Knowing that reflux stills are better for neutral spirits while pot stills are better for things like bourbons and rums because they tend to keep more of the flavor, I was wondering what the actual impact doing a stripping run on each generation and then doing a Spirit Run on the final version has on flavor. We are basically distilling it twice which if I'm not mistaken is what a reflux does, in a manner of sorts. Does enough of the flavor come through in the final spirit run on a pot still?

I've just upgraded my still and it can do both reflux and pot stilling. I'm curious to learn more about the impact of stripping and spirit runs on flavor.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

That is how it's traditionally run.

One-and-done will give you lower proof (arguably less good for oaking) and a less clean spirit. Some people prefer it that way. Taste your low wines as they come out and decide whether you prefer the product of the first distillation...

Otherwise do a 1.5: add a batch of low wines to fresh wash and distil the lot together.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Thanks for the reply. I'll grab a sample of the good stuff in the middle of my next run and keep it around to compare to the final version. Good idea.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

FWIW I often keep a small bottle of low wine hearts for drinking white, and I enjoy it, but I still double-distil my main run.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

tjans wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:27 pm Hey folks, newish to distilling. I've got two generations of ujssm stripped, and the third one fully fermented and ready for its stripping run. in the meantime, I've been pondering something.

Knowing that reflux stills are better for neutral spirits while pot stills are better for things like bourbons and rums because they tend to keep more of the flavor, I was wondering what the actual impact doing a stripping run on each generation and then doing a Spirit Run on the final version has on flavor. We are basically distilling it twice which if I'm not mistaken is what a reflux does, in a manner of sorts. Does enough of the flavor come through in the final spirit run on a pot still?

I've just upgraded my still and it can do both reflux and pot stilling. I'm curious to learn more about the impact of stripping and spirit runs on flavor.
TJ,

I run a pot. I'm newer, so take this with a grain of salt. My traditional whiskey run (3 AG's, a straight sugar wash, and a couple of gumballs (Sugar on the spent grains from the AG) is strip fast and slow spirit on the pot still. There is <i>plenty</i> of flavor left for a good whiskey.

Drifter
tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

Thanks man! I figured as this is tried and true. Was just curious about some of the logistics.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I shared a label for my UJSM back in June of 2019. Had a bunch in a barrel for the last couple of years and am gifting some away now, which warranted a re-up on my label. This one has been in my mind for some time. Finally pulled it together and thought I would share.
A Maize In Grace posting.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

DetroitDIY wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:06 am I shared a label for my UJSM back in June of 2019. Had a bunch in a barrel for the last couple of years and am gifting some away now, which warranted a re-up on my label. This one has been in my mind for some time. Finally pulled it together and thought I would share.
A Maize In Grace posting.jpg
:thumbup:
kwall429
Novice

Post by kwall429 »

How much water loss can I expect over the course of the fermentation due to grain absorption and evaporation?
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

kwall429 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:27 am How much water loss can I expect over the course of the fermentation due to grain absorption and evaporation?
I'd say it won't really even be detectable after the first batch. If you put a cover on the fermenter condensation will just run back in.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

NZChris wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:07 pm If you want to fill a barrel quickly, having each generation producing enough low wines for a spirit run is very helpful.
What NZChris said.

I'm new to UJSSM, but I started by coming off a Gumball Head off my last AG Bourbon, using that backset into 85 l. Finished stripping 3G tonight, with a spirit run scheduled for New Years Eve. Each of my ferments results in 4 still charges for strip, and that makes for a nice spirit run.

The ultimate goal is to fill a new 20l barrel with 4G+ new make.
pickednick
Novice

Post by pickednick »

I use generally "low wine" + "Ujssm feints" for spirit run. Which one should I add to still to get some more flavor:
backset or wash? thanks.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

pickednick, I'll reply with a question of my own: why would you add back to your still the leftovers that you've just worked hard to remove from the low wines (backset).

You might as well have added that last batch of wash to the low wines you already had, in which case you'd get more flavour, rather than strip it and then put the stillage back in.
pickednick
Novice

Post by pickednick »

Thank you Martin, I got answer, adding wash makes more sense as you said.

Even if I add ujssm feints to low wine and make one strip and one spirit run ( 2 run in total). Next time I will try 1.5 distillation by adding wash.

In my first ujssm series I combined 4th 5th and 6th generation spirits to one jar and oak them. It made a very nice and smooth whiskey-like likker that even woman can drink it easily.

But I will try to make more flavor likker next time. Also I stopped to try making neutral with my miniature pot still (2 gal/8 L) , so much work and sudden failure if you are not aware what you are doing. Ujssm is so newbie friendly I think, I am still learning.