uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

charlie2K
Novice

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by charlie2K »

Been doing a lot of reading and the one question I hear a lot. When do I know if my mash is done fermenting....my answer is to put your ear up to the fermenter when it first starts...you are going to hear the most beautiful sound of yeast eating sugar and when that stops she be done....i actually have a stethoscope which will let me hear a yeast fart.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yes the fizzing sound of a fermenting wash is a good indicator as is watching for millions of tiny tiny bubbles.
Taste is an even better indicator.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Post by The Dark Alchemist »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:Whooshka!!!
Bubbling like a champion as I walked into the brew-shed...... Must have been a pH problem and the eggs have nailed it..... These forums are great, so much fab info.... thanks to all contributors, past and present :thumbup: :clap:
So Gen 4 has been bubbling away for 8 days now, since I added the egg shells, or 15 days since I originally laid it down. There is minimal slowdown - assuming all is good - should I be concerned or just let it roll on?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Let it roll.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:Let it roll.
:thumbup:
JumpJet
Novice

Post by JumpJet »

UJSSM round one. One day old. Rocking like a cho cho train. So far it’s beating the three other mashes that I started at the same time.

Jump
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I ran a batch of UJ and added in some feints. I have a 3 gallon pot and added in a half gallon of leftovers. I have a 1400 watt element with a router controller. (I started with a 2000 watt element and a pid controller) This time I started the pot on low and let it creep up in temp slowly. I got a full gallon of very smooth drink. It is breathing now but tonight's sample if #4 out of 8 is very nice even at 120 proof. I am on gen 3 of my second start. My first run took me through 10 gen's using backset. This last run I have been just skimming out the spent corn and adding new. Working good.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Infection Question.
I moved the wash out into capped storage vessels. I Replaced the spent corn and added bout 5gal of water on top to keep the yeastie boys alive. This was on a Thurs. I made a run on the next Thurs and checked on the fermenter, it seemed to be ok and slightly fermenting. As I went to add the sugar and cooled backset Friday mid-afternoon, there was a very light white film over approx. 80% of the surface with one spot that looked like that Kumbucha stuff.
I've only made it to page 70 or so on this thread and haven't read about any infections as of yet. Can't seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere else in the forum as of yet so,.....here I am.
Any Ideas?
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Ok so, after reading until my eyes bled then, wiping it away and reading some more, not only am I woozy from the blood loss but, I believe I'm closer to understanding bacteria in the wash.
It would seem this may be a lactic infection from the corn sitting in the water with no CO2 being produced to keep out the oxygen. In which case, this type of particular infection has the ability to actually produce some "desirable" flavors. I understand I could be completely wrong.
After reading and just saying " the hell with it", I continued the process of adding the sugared backset @ 25% and a little bit of Fermax yeast nutrient. Now, she is back to bubbling away with no real "undesirable" odors. Things just seem to have went back to normal.
One post in this thread mentioned the distilling process killing off anything anyway so, that kinda help set me to ease a little more.
This forum is so in order and jam packed full of knowledge and dedication, there is almost no use to ask questions if your patient and Just keep reading.
I really enjoy this hobby/craft and really appreciate all the time and dedication everyone has put in.
Thanks!
JSparrow
Novice

Post by JSparrow »

SwollenGoat23 wrote:This forum is so in order and jam packed full of knowledge and dedication, there is almost no use to ask questions if your patient and Just keep reading.
I really enjoy this hobby/craft and really appreciate all the time and dedication everyone has put in.
Thanks!
A hardy amen to that !

I’m in this weird place where I feel like I’ve done so little, but yet learned so much.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

G5 is nicely bubbling away now, and thinking towards stripping and maturing.

From the last stripping run, I took 4L of backset and it's now sitting in the freezer for when I set my next lot of UJSSM. When the next ferment is finished, how can I save the yeast/ corn mix that remains in my fermenter, for next time; can that too be frozen?

Once spirit run complete, what oaking procedure gives best results - I don't have a barrel and will be aging in glass demi-johns? I have read (somewhere in the mammoth thread) that 100g of staves per 15L of 60% spirit gives a good result. I can't seem to find a thread with a clean summary - any help offered gladly taken.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:G5 is nicely bubbling away now, and thinking towards stripping and maturing.
From the last stripping run, I took 4L of backset and it's now sitting in the freezer for when I set my next lot of UJSSM.
Im a bit confuzzled here :shock: am I right in thinking you are doing 5 gens but have kept and frozen the backset from gen 4? If I'm right why would you not keep the backset from gen 5 instead ?
The Dark Alchemist wrote:When the next ferment is finished, how can I save the yeast/ corn mix that remains in my fermenter, for next time; can that too be frozen?

Put it back on to ferment again, it should stay good for at least 6 months and possibly much longer as long as you keep it under airlock and keep water in that airlock.
The Dark Alchemist wrote:Once spirit run complete, what oaking procedure gives best results - I don't have a barrel and will be aging in glass demi-johns?
That like cuts comes down to personal choice ....personally I suggest a mix ..some charred American Oak and some toasted American oak.....French oak will give yet another taste ...to me too sweet, but again down to personal choice.
The Dark Alchemist wrote:I have read (somewhere in the mammoth thread) that 100g of staves per 15L of 60% spirit gives a good result.

As for quantity Ive never used the weight method ....make your toasted / charred sticks 5-6 inches long x half inch x half inch and use one per Liter.
At that rate you wont ever over oak anything long term but it will oak and you will taste a difference after only a few weeks.
The old rule of thumb back when I was a newbie was less for longer was better .....I now believe that to be true :thumbup:
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:G5 is nicely bubbling away now, and thinking towards stripping and maturing.
From the last stripping run, I took 4L of backset and it's now sitting in the freezer for when I set my next lot of UJSSM.
Im a bit confuzzled here :shock: am I right in thinking you are doing 5 gens but have kept and frozen the backset from gen 4? If I'm right why would you not keep the backset from gen 5 instead ?
Yep, I hadn't really planned to do the 5th Gen, but it just rolled on. I had the empty 2L milk cartons ready to go, so I just filled them up - I'll pinch another 4L backset from G5.

Is there much difference between the backsets, do you think?
Saltbush Bill wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:When the next ferment is finished, how can I save the yeast/ corn mix that remains in my fermenter, for next time; can that too be frozen?

Put it back on to ferment again, it should stay good for at least 6 months and possibly much longer as long as you keep it under airlock and keep water in that airlock.
Thanks - so when the ferment finishes, it'll just sit there, under airlock - I read about secondary ferments; do I need to be concerned about this?
Saltbush Bill wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:Once spirit run complete, what oaking procedure gives best results - I don't have a barrel and will be aging in glass demi-johns?
That like cuts comes down to personal choice ....personally I suggest a mix ..some charred American Oak and some toasted American oak.....French oak will give yet another taste ...to me too sweet, but again down to personal choice.
Figured so. I have some medium toast America oak dominos; I'll read up on charring and try a mix of....
Saltbush Bill wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:I have read (somewhere in the mammoth thread) that 100g of staves per 15L of 60% spirit gives a good result.

As for quantity Ive never used the weight method ....make your toasted / charred sticks 5-6 inches long x half inch x half inch and use one per Liter.
At that rate you wont ever over oak anything long term but it will oak and you will taste a difference after only a few weeks.
The old rule of thumb back when I was a newbie was less for longer was better .....I now believe that to be true :thumbup:
Perfect, thanks SBB - I'll work with that approach..
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The Dark Alchemist wrote:Is there much difference between the backsets, do you think?
only one generation , but I think every little bit helps.
The Dark Alchemist wrote: I read about secondary ferments; do I need to be concerned about this?
Not in my opinion, I never have with UJ. Others may have other ideas on the subject.
The Dark Alchemist
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote:
The Dark Alchemist wrote:Is there much difference between the backsets, do you think?
only one generation , but I think every little bit helps.
The Dark Alchemist wrote: I read about secondary ferments; do I need to be concerned about this?
Not in my opinion, I never have with UJ. Others may have other ideas on the subject.
Thanks; I'll update the backset after G5 and get going on the spirit run. :thumbup:
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Hi. I dug through the post as much as I could. Would there be any bad outcomes from adding enzymes to Uncle Jesse’s recipe? Everything else the same ... just add enzymes? How would that change things? Thanks!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

That would change the recipe to Booners :lol: .

But without temp targets, it won't change it at all, really.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:That would change the recipe to Booners :lol: .

But without temp targets, it won't change it at all, really.
Okay. Thanks, Diamond.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

That's not what UJSM is about, its a sugar head recipe for those who don't wish to go down the all grain path or those who don't have the equipment or the experience. Your basically wasting your time and enzymes as SCD has said.
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Got it. Thanks!
Joedonna117
Novice

Post by Joedonna117 »

Ready to start a ferment next week of UJSSM . Been reading for days would like to have someone check my math I ran a couple batches of sweet feed mashes but used way to much sugar I didnt compensate for the area the feed would take up scraping that and starting new I got a 32 gallon brute trash can so I can fit proper quantity . Using a 15.5 gallon keg for boiler would like to do a 13 gallon mash according to recipe on page one I calculate I should use;
18.2 lbs of corn
18.2 lbs of sugar
And 3 tablespoons of distillers yeast
To 13 gallons of water I figure that should give enough head space. Would it be ok to just say 19 lbs of each??
I was also wondering on first page recipe it shows adding sugar cold should I dissolve in warm water??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME IN ADVANCE
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Joedonna117 wrote:Ready to start a ferment next week of UJSSM . Been reading for days would like to have someone check my math I ran a couple batches of sweet feed mashes but used way to much sugar I didnt compensate for the area the feed would take up scraping that and starting new I got a 32 gallon brute trash can so I can fit proper quantity . Using a 15.5 gallon keg for boiler would like to do a 13 gallon mash according to recipe on page one I calculate I should use;
18.2 lbs of corn
18.2 lbs of sugar
And 3 tablespoons of distillers yeast
To 13 gallons of water I figure that should give enough head space. Would it be ok to just say 19 lbs of each??
I was also wondering on first page recipe it shows adding sugar cold should I dissolve in warm water??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME IN ADVANCE
When I started, I would boil water to get the sugar to dissolve. Some times I would just get it HOT so I didnt have to wait for it to cool down.

1.4 pounds multiplied by 13 equals 18.2 pounds. A little extra wont hurt. I would have to look at my notes but Ive run the recipe short on sugar & way heavy on sugar (guess I was getting greedy). I was also doing just the sweet side of it. I tried it sour early on & didnt like it. Looking back, I think it was bad corn because what Ive been stripping lately has tasted pretty damn good. Ive settled on 6# per bucket thats filled up to around 4.3 gallon.
Joedonna117
Novice

Post by Joedonna117 »

Thank you going to set up end of week.
Southern spirit1
Novice

Post by Southern spirit1 »

I’m completely new to this hobby and ready to start my first ferment and after tons of reading UJSSM looks like a good way to go. One question I couldn’t seem to find a definitive answer to is how long can a mash be kept and still be used. My work schedule (28days away from home 14 days at home) would limit how many runs could do. I’ve seen where some say as long as the mash stays closed and and water in the airlock it will be ok for a while. If this has been answered already sorry for the question.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

At least 2 -3 months if kept lidded or air locked, or both. Ive kept them longer at times.
Southern spirit1
Novice

Ok so adding backsets and letting it go until I can get back to it should be fine then. If I ever wanted to save backsets for a later time could the be frozen(what about the mash itself or would that ruin it). Thanks for your help I’m just trying to figure out how to get the most out this hobby with limited time at the house
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Southern spirit1 wrote:Ok so adding backsets and letting it go until I can get back to it should be fine then. If I ever wanted to save backsets for a later time could the be frozen(what about the mash itself or would that ruin it). Thanks for your help I’m just trying to figure out how to get the most out this hobby with limited time at the house
You are confusing something. If this is your first generation ferment you have no backset. But a first ferment can be left a few weeks if air tight not hermetically but not a quilt.
Southern spirit1
Novice

No I understand that I mean after I do the first run and have the backsets. Sorry for the confusion. I guess I’m just trying to figure out if I can keep going with the same mash with my extended time away. From what everyone says it gets better with each gen. Or will I pretty much have to start new each time.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Just keep it going , there is no time limit.
vex
Novice

Post by vex »

So I'm doing 12 gal of wash. Did gen 1 and collected about 1.5 gal of 110proof without cuts (minus fores). This was 2 charges in my 8gal boiler.

I have gen 2 ready to run.

Do I run both charges of gen 2 in pot mode and collect everything for a spirit run?

When do I add the low wines from gen 1? In the strip run or the spirit run?