tia maria

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

tia maria

Post by Uncle Jesse »

from the old message boards:

AnalWaste
03/02/04 09:12 AM
subject: Tia Maria

i love Tia maira and milk its one of my fav drinks.

i know it contains
cane spirit, the finest Jamaican coffee, vanilla and sugar.
but does anyone have a how to recipe

i found this in my research
# 1.5 c. packed brown sugar
# 1 c. granulated sugar
# 1/2 c. instant coffee powder
# 3 c. vodka (for Kahlua) or rum (for Tia)
# 1/2 vanilla bean, split or 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Does anyone have anyother recipe??

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

tater
03/02/04 02:38 PM
Re: Tia Maria [re: AnalWaste]

found this on flavering sec 'Tia Maria' comes with a colorful story (yes another one). "The story of the recipe dates back to the 17th centurry, when Jamaica was caught up in the colonial wars that raged across the Caribbean. When one estate was attacked the owners had to flee, and the young daughter and her maidservant Maria got separated from the rest of the family. Maria managed to collect her mistress's possesions, along with a box containing (wait for it) the secret recipe for the family's coffee liqueur. Years later the girl gave the recipe to her daughter, who named the liqueur Tia Maria (Aunty Mary) after the servant." ('Spirits & Cocktails' Dave Broom,1998). What I can gather is that it is a coffee, chocolate and spiced rum liqueur. In the West Indies, spices such as cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, nutmeg, rosemary and pepper are used to flavor rums. A well known brand is 'Capitan Morgan Original Spiced Rum' which contains cinnamon, cloves, vanilla. Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla is another combination used in other rums.

'Kahlua' claims to be Mexican, although the original label had a turban clad figure within Moorish arches. It now has a stereotype Mexican in a sombrero, in a siesta posture. It is the second biggest selling liqueur in the world.
There are numerous coffee liqueur recipes. I tried to rationalize them to the one below, so that one can experiment for themselves:

Kahlua style Coffee Liqueur (using real coffee)

2 cups ground coffee beans (medium roast pure arabica beans - Blue Mountain style would be appropriate)
3 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 cups pure alcohol (40%abv)
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. glycerin
Combine boiling water and ground coffee, strain through sieve filter - basically a filtered coffee (or make it using a coffee pluger). Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, glycerin. You could try a short cut version with 10 tsp. of premium instant coffee powder (1/2 cup).

For Tia Maria use a dark spiced rum or make your own using cinnamon, cloves, vanilla. For the chocolate, we could add 1 tbsp. cocoa powder, as dark cooking chocolate might contain too much cocoa butter.
hope this helps later said tater
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Re: tia maria

Post by EuroStiller »

Kahlua and Tia Maria, an Italian Take on the matter!!!

225 g Vodka 50%abv plus 200 g Grain Alcohol 95-96%abv for Kahlua OR
300 g Dark Rum 40%abv plus 150 g Grain Alcohol 95-96%abv for Tia Maria
130 g Coffee, espresso roast and ground (Kimbo, LaVazza, or any brand so long as it is espresso roast, just don't use StarSuks!)
3 Bitter Almonds OR 5 Apricot Kernels- for either recipe
2 g Ceylon Cinnamon, ground fine- for Tia Maria only
1/2 g Mace or Nutmeg, your choice, mace is milder & nutmeg is stronger- for Tia Maria only
1/2 Clove, ground- for Tia Maria only
Zest of 1/2 Bitter Orange or 2 g dried Bitter Orange Peel Ground- for Tia Maria only
500 g Pure Cane Sugar for Kahlua OR
500 g Muscovado Sugar for Tia Maria*
250 ml Distilled Water

Combine in an airtight jar the ground coffee, almonds or apricot kernels, spices if using them, and the spirits. Seal the jar. Macerate the mixture for 8 days, shaking the jar at least once daily. Keep in a cool, dry place the entire time. After 8 days. Filter the mixture through one of those fancy reusable metal coffee filters that go into American dip coffee pots. Save the solids. Working over the same filter, squeeze a handful of the solids at a time to extract as much as possible, then discard. Repeat until all of the solids are used up. Now filter the essence through a double layer of muslin, moistened with some grain alcohol. Set the muslin into a wire mesh strainer over a similar size bowl or measuring cup. Do not squeeze on the muslin; just let the mixture trickle through at its own pace. Cover with plastic wrap if necessary to avoid evaporation. Final filtering is repeated twice through paper coffee filers placed into a wire mesh strainer and set over a bowl or measuring cup. When all of that is done, seal the essence and set it aside in a sealed container while you prepare your syrup. Bring the water to a boil in a small pan and stir in the sugar. Remove it promptly from the heat and stir until all of the sugar is totally dissolved. Cover the pan and leave it to cool completely. When cool unite the syrup and alcohol essence. Stir well to combine and bottle the liqueur. Age for at least 2-3 months before breaking into it, to give it a chance to let all the flavors really blend and mellow. This will keep for 5 years, if not longer if corked properly and sealed with wax. And you forget where you put the bottle like I did, LOL

I know it's a lot of work, but most good things are!!

*If you cannot get Muscovado Sugar, use Sugar in The Raw, or Demerara Sugar. It will not be quite the same but hey what can ya do!

I hope you get to try this and I hope you enjoy the homemade Italian take on these popular liqueurs! It would be easier if I could just send you a bottle! :lol:

EuroStiller- The Doctor
natas6171
Novice

Post by natas6171 »

a real inexpensive kahlua; 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar (white or brown, brown is better), vanilla extract, boiled. 2 packs instant espresso powder. cool and mix with every body's favourite end product (50/50). store bought is 23% , i make mine w/ 70% neutral, so it's about 35%
If we wake up after drinking good, if we wake up and can still see, even better.
snappycappy
Novice

Post by snappycappy »

EuroStiller - I have loosely followed your recipe for Tia Maria. I started out with 7 cups of rum into which I dumped the ground coffee, vanilla, and spices. I have been filtering it per your instruct :( ions. Now I have 4 cups of liquid instead of 7. Is this right? So now I am not sure how much sugar syrup to add?? Is the ratio 1 to 1? - equal parts? Thanks for any help provided.
zohaa3492
Novice

Post by zohaa3492 »

yummy recipes :) i will try these ,share more
Our incredible offers for Intel and 400-051 dump accessible at reasonable prices; our Youtube is very rare in IT world.
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

I put a jar of SF on the stove in a pot of water and heated up to like 120 deg F and used that to brew some strong coffee in my French press. Added like a half cup simple syrup and a half package of coco mix "think it was swis mis or something. Think its like 80 proof and pretty tasty.

ps before I added sugar and coco powder it was GNARLY 100 proof coffee brewed with likker.
ETOH.... yes plz
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

hamshine wrote:I put a jar of SF on the stove in a pot of water and heated up to like 120 deg F and used that to brew some strong coffee in my French press. Added like a half cup simple syrup and a half package of coco mix "think it was swis mis or something. Think its like 80 proof and pretty tasty.

ps before I added sugar and coco powder it was GNARLY 100 proof coffee brewed with likker.
Haha, made me snot out my tea reading this! :lol:

I'm pleased to see that for research purposes you tasted your 100 proof coffee. :thumbup:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
arslan1
Novice

Post by arslan1 »

a real inexpensive kahlua; 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar (white or brown, brown is better), vanilla extract, boiled. 2 packs instant espresso powder. cool and mix with every body's favourite end product (50/50). store bought is 23% , i make mine w/ 70% neutral, so it's about 35%
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK so I just put down my twist on Eurostillers Tia Maria with a few local ingredients. So the first change is bitter almonds, didn't have them or apricot kernels so I used around 20 blanched plum kernels and lightly roasted about a third of them. I replaced bitter orange peel with kumquat and the other change was muscovardo. Now normally I can get it no worries but the three shops I went to had sold out so I mixed 210 grams of raw sugar with 210 grams of brown sugar. The other main difference was the syrup water, I steeped it for a day in the coffee and spice strained off the spirit. That might be a mistake but it tastes pretty good and I think after a couple of months it will be outstanding.
This whole thread is a bit confusing to follow with a few kaluha recipes inserted
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
ChillinNdistillin
Novice

Post by ChillinNdistillin »

snappycappy wrote:EuroStiller - I have loosely followed your recipe for Tia Maria. I started out with 7 cups of rum into which I dumped the ground coffee, vanilla, and spices. I have been filtering it per your instruct :( ions. Now I have 4 cups of liquid instead of 7. Is this right? So now I am not sure how much sugar syrup to add?? Is the ratio 1 to 1? - equal parts? Thanks for any help provided.
Yes