All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by LWTCS »

cluey wrote:The only thing i am wondering is if in fact we have less of the undesirable stuff or if the undesireable stuff is still in there but is being disguised by the somewhat heavier (?) aroma of the brann flakes.
Thats a none issue. Strict stilling will mitigate that. You reflux fellers can dial that in but good. I wouldn't worry bout that at all.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Finally trying this, in principle. Did everything the same except using some organic 7 ancient grain mix that I've been storing for a while now. It was either this or my friend's chickens. The bag cost me a hundred bucks :shock: so I hope this works. Wanting to learn neutrals. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
bassinjason
Novice

Post by bassinjason »

Just ran my first batch of the All Bran wash in my reflux. Seems like a nice neutral with a hint of wheat...Doesn't seem to need to be put through the carbon filter. Does anyone filter it? I've only run Turbo/Sugar washes up to this point, so it usually needs filtered, but I'm thinking not on this run. :o
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bassinjason wrote:Just ran my first batch of the All Bran wash in my reflux. Seems like a nice neutral with a hint of wheat...Doesn't seem to need to be put through the carbon filter. Does anyone filter it? I've only run Turbo/Sugar washes up to this point, so it usually needs filtered, but I'm thinking not on this run. :o
If proper cuts are made there should be no need for carbon filtering... This is intended to be a low-fuss recipe...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Well 72 hours later it was bone dry. I racked it into gallon jugs, put it outside in the cold and it cleared by the next day. Only got two gallons so I won't run it on it's own but I'll make a bigger batch and give it a go. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

blind drunk wrote: Only got two gallons so I won't run it on it's own but I'll make a bigger batch and give it a go. Cheers, bd.
Wish I had done a small batch first time. I've just made up my first one about an hour ago and due to my lack of concentration, I let the Weetbix (Wheat biscuits) scortch on the bottom of the burner. While I was crushing them and throwing them in I forgot 2 things:-
1 - bring the heat up SLOWLY... and
2 - keep stirring the gloop.

Now the whole lot smells like burnt toast, gonna have to reflux the hell outa this one. :shock:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

RefluxFan wrote:Now the whole lot smells like burnt toast, gonna have to reflux the hell outa this one. :shock:
Hey, that's no fair... :| You can't go for fermentation and aging all in one step... :P All of my batches of All Bran have been between 4 - 25 liters...
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

Observation update:

Opened up garage door to a lovely sweet "wheaty" smell, my shed usually smells like farts when I have done Turbos.

Split the ferments into 2 identicle barrels last night 'cause I have bakers yeast and Still Spirits yeast and want to do a comparison.
Pitched yeast into barrels last night at 10pm @ 36degrees C because I don't have time to wait till the morning before work to pitch and aerate. Time is now 4pm and the bakers yeast is bubbling at about 8 times per second, the Still Spirits is at 1 a second.

I spose next observation is which one will finish first.
rad14701 wrote:Hey, that's no fair... :| You can't go for fermentation and aging all in one step... :P
I just hope for my sake your right, it would be a shame (and a waste) to go thru the whole excercise and have undrinkable stuff. Who knows, if it works out well, I might have to "accidentally" burn it every time. :ewink:
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Just started a 25L (6Gal) batch to try this recipe. Rad youv'e got me lookin up the nutrient lists on serials to compare them. Kelloggs Bran flakes (1KG box = £1.48) - Asdas (Walmart) own make had even more nutrients than kellogs, price (1KG box = £0.48). So bought Asdas own make.

I'll keep yall posted guy's..

Thanks Rad...

S.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

Just shot home for lunch and the shed doesn't smell sweet any more, sort of yeasty wheat.

Bakers yeast barrel has stopped bubbling completely and the Still Spirits barrel is still at about 1 bubble per 1 1/2 seconds. Opened up the bakers yeast barrel to have a look and taste: it still looks like murky water which is very similar to when it started, but taste has gone from sweet to a not-sweet-but-not-bitter yeasty taste, hope it hasn't stalled.

I'll take some readings tonight when i finish work.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Rack it and run it. :D

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

The reading is 1020, so I put the stirring stick in the drill and stirred it all up, then dropped a Megaboost B vitamin tablet in there, checked it an hour later and it's away bubbling again, but not furiously.

If it stalls again I will definately rack it and run.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

What was your starting SG :?:

OD
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Still got a bit more to go yet, ideally it should finish at 990, which will give you 10.6% alcohol.
Here is a handy link that might help you. Bookmark the page into your browser for future reference. http://www.honeycreek.us/specfic_gravity_table.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OD
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

With my 25L fermenter there have been times when the size of the bubbles have been so small that they were not easily visible even under moderate scrutiny yet there was still activity upon very close inspection... And because the CO2 was being generated at such a small rate my airlock would bot give so much as a hint that the yeast were still busy... I've had two ferments recently that took an extra day to complete after falsely thinking they were done... I haven't determined if the yeast is hitting the high %ABV wall or whether a small nutrient adjustment would resolve the last minute slow-down... I'm glad I'm not the only person who has encountered this issue... I'm sure there is an easy fix - just need to find it... I need to get some pH strips...
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Great ferment on this All Bran recipe. Finished yesterday with a clear yellow wash. Smells and tastes very nice.

Breakdown:
Followed rads recipe to a T. The only addition was 2 teaspoons of Tronomyzol yeast nutrient. Used 1 satchet of Lalvins EC-1118 yeast instead of bakers yeast. There was a little lag time, maybe 2 or 4 hours, but after that it went off like a rocket filling the room with a lovely, wheaty smell.

Racked it into a glass carboy to let it clear for a day. Its now ready to run, cant wait to run it. I think I'll pot still the first one and reflux the one I have just put on today.....mmmmmmm

Heres the gravities: BranF=(1.090-0.990)*(1000/7.4) = 13.5% abv
SG is a bit high but I think the champagne yeast could handle it OK.

Keep ya'll posted...

Thanks Rad

S.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

Unfortunately, my first attempt at this recipe was a flop due to the fact that I burnt the weetbix when boiling them. The burnt toast flavour carried all the way through from stripping to spirit run, but at least I can recognise the wheaty aroma with it.

I wonder if lightly toasting some oak and leaving it in there for a few weeks will tidy it up? Maybe I can call it whisky after all that, because it has too much smell and flavour to be called neutral.

I have got to pay more attention next time.....and there will be another attempt or 3 at this recipe because I initially overstocked on weetbix :lol: .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

If your cereal boil is thick, you gotta be mindful and keep stiring. Even on the lower heat settings as the heat gets retained in your pot more so.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

RefluxFan, while I'm not familiar with the cereal variant you are using, you could probably get away with not boiling... You might try simply bringing the water to a boil and then stirring in the cereal so it breaks down into a slurry... Sorry to hear that the burnt flavor carried over... Hopefully, there will be a way to clean up your tainted spirits...
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Sorry to hear about burning the bran refluxfan. I infused the sugar for 30 mins and while this was infusing, kept stirring the bran flakes that were brought to the boil, then the heat was turned way down to a pip, and never once was the stirring halted. Got my wooden spoon right down to the bottom of the pot where the heat is hottest.

Theres one thing about rads All Bran recipe, it sure is very cheap to make... This gave me a very nice smelling, tasty, bourbon/whiskey.
I have some on charred oak and already iam tasting something that I would probably buy from the store...

My advice: get another one on, this ferment really does take care of itself and its quick... You wont regret it.... :)

Thanks again Rad....
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

RefluxFan
Novice

Post by RefluxFan »

rad14701 wrote:... You might try simply bringing the water to a boil and then stirring in the cereal so it breaks down into a slurry...
That sounds like a good idea and a hell of alot less hassle too. Yep, i'll give that a go.
DIYhooch
Novice

Post by DIYhooch »

Hi guys, I have been a bit slow to reply I know.

I have run it all through the reflux still now (after the strip run I talk about in my last post), the results have left me with a very definite conclusion in regards to pot stills but no so clear cut, pardon the pun, in terms of reflux stills.

This recipe has made me get interested in pot stilling again, as I have already said the distillate coming straight off the wash through my pot still smelt great. If all I had was a pot still I would never go back to a turbo sugar wash again, this all bran wash came out (from the stripping run) smelling and tasting just like bourbon/whiskey, whereas turbo washes come out of the stripping run smelling awful (somewhat like nasty sake).

Running it through the reflux still (100L (25Gal) boiler, and a 5 foot long x 2.5 inch wide reflux column). The heads were a lot less metho and more fruity smelling than the turbo runs, and I only tossed 375ml (1 1/2 cups) of foreshots and heads, probably could have gotten away with tossing a bit less, with a turbo run I usually chuck about 2 cups (500ml) before the last hints of that metho smell have gone. I know that is alot but I don't want those nasty smells ruining the whole batch for a few mls.

The tails of the all-bran run were amazing, full of whiskey/bourbon flavors, whereas the tails of a turbo run have that really nasty 'off-sake' smell. I actually kept 1L (4 cups) of tails to cut in with hearts because I loved the flavors so much. I cut in 50ml of the tails with 650mls of hearts (all at 40% alc/vol) and the result was an amazing bourbon/whiskey flavor that several of my friends who are big bourbon whiskey drinkers were more than happy with. Even I have enjoyed a fair bit even though I am not usually the biggest whiskey/bourbon fan.

Now the hearts.....if I had to pick between the two (turbo vs all-bran) I would pick the all-bran, but going through my rather oversized column the difference between the two, if any, is very very slight. So now my problem is: go for the better tasting all-bran that struggled to get to 10-12% for me, or go with the turbo that gives 16-18%..........hmmmmmm I really am undecided, my solution, as always is that I need bigger fermenters and a bigger boiler/still.

Thanks RAD, oh and btw I am now making a new pot still because of this recipe..............I am starting to see the allure and skill involved with running just a pot still......originally I had no interest in pot stilling except to strip the washes.

Thanks!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the recipe, DIYhooch... Nice turbo comparison too... As you have discovered, it is very versatile and forgiving...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

DIYhooch wrote:better tasting all-bran that struggled to get to 10-12%
Hmm....

I've done quite a few 14%ers with no issues.

10lb sack for the sake of no measuring really. I don't feel like it was or is a struggle at all to acheive a 10-12%

Not trying to sound like a jerk off.
Gr8brewer

Post by Gr8brewer »

Hey has anyone used Miracle Grow its the only 20-20-20 fertilizer i can find. Its blue and freaks me out?
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

I use Miracle grow in very small portions, but Im moving over to a homemade recipe.
I found when I used Miracle grow, my beard had a nice leafy sheen to it and my hair was as fine as cornsilk! ;)

Now the serious answer:
Yes, you can use it. The blue color is a combination of copper salts and a blue dye which they use to make sure no one drinks it by accident. Like the smell they put in natural gas.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Gr8brewer

Post by Gr8brewer »

ScottishBoy wrote:I use Miracle grow in very small portions, but Im moving over to a homemade recipe.
I found when I used Miracle grow, my beard had a nice leafy sheen to it and my hair was as fine as cornsilk! ;)

Now the serious answer:
Yes, you can use it. The blue color is a combination of copper salts and a blue dye which they use to make sure no one drinks it by accident. Like the smell they put in natural gas.
Thanks Scottisboy,

Perhaps you can share your homemade formula then i can save the Miracle Grow for bath salts.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Gr8brewer wrote:Thanks Scottisboy,
Perhaps you can share your homemade formula then i can save the Miracle Grow for bath salts.
Ooooooo noooooooo...if you do that you end up looking like an Avatar with green pubic hair....
:mrgreen:
ScottishBoy
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Feeling bad enough that I had hijacked this thread, I decided to go ahead and try this recipe.
It was an "interesting" night in the Scotsman's Kitchen of Doom.

These are my suggestions for working with this recipe:
1. Dont take your eyes off the bran mixture as its comming to a boil. Seriously. I was cleaning molten sugar and bran flakes up for about two hours. All I remember is looking at it coming over the top of the pot and thinking "Wow. Thats shape reminds me of a top hat."
2. Invert or dissolve your sugar in a seperate pot. That way if you have a boil over, its a hell of a lot quicker to clean up and you wont be scraping caramel off your stovetop.
3. If you choose to add nutrients, always er on the lower side. This mixture takes off exponentially. I went to bed with no action, but positive pressure. This morning it was happily bubbling away at 5 bps in a 65 deg F room. The ferment is vigorous enough that it actually keeps particles in suspension. Its like watching freshly poured soda. If I had added more nutrients, I think I might have popped a carboy this am.

All in all, a very easy recipe, that just needs a little attention to detail ( and not doing five other things at once!)

I cant wait to run this one off. It smells lovely while its fermenting. Thanks Rad

SB
ScottishBoy