All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Red_90
Novice

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by Red_90 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 am

Red_90 wrote:I just started my second wash based on this recipe
8lbs sugar
1.1lbs bran flakes (weight according to cereal box)
1 lemon's worth of juice
2 teaspoons distillers yeast DADY
Crushed the flakes and inverted the sugar separately and topped up for a 5 gallon wash.

The krausen on this thing and the vigor of the yeast is something to behold. I'll be running it in my basic pot still once the yeast settles. Wish me luck.
I just finished my run of this yesterday and it turned out great using my pot still It was mostly neutral flavor with a hint of the bran flavor, but once I hit the tails, the flavor really kicked up and I ran it deep until I didn't like what was coming out. The beginning tails jar tastes like pure bran and vodka which tastes much better than it sounds.

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Congratulations, Red_90... :thumbup:

This is a very forgiving recipe and you can change the amount of cereal per gallon to best suit your palate... When I plan on pot stilling I use more cereal... When I want a clean neutral I might use less cereal...

Glad to hear that your first All Bran experience was a success...

Pain Managnent
Novice

Post by Pain Managnent » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Well finally got the time and all I can say is THANK YOU rad14701 simply perfect and Red_90 you hit the nail on the head

pipes_a_plenty
Novice

Post by pipes_a_plenty » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I wanted to say thanks to rad for posting the recipe! It rocks. I cant believe how quickly it ferments out. I used DAP for nutrient and it finished in about 3 days. Ive run out of DAP so I just did All Bran Buds for nutrients and it took about 6 or so days. I cut the amount per gallon down to half a cup based on the greater density of the buds. I will say this and Im not sure if anyone else has run into this or not, but when using the buds versus the (off brand) flakes it turns into a big gloopy mess when simmering in the pot. Its seriously like snot, no amount of mixing will make it mix with the liquid in the fermenter. Initially I did 1/2 cup buds per gallon and 1 cup of water per. Got goop. So i bumped it to 1/2 cup of buds per gallon and 2 cups of water per. Goop again. After a bit of time it floats to the top of the fermenter and just forms a thick layer. It fermented out dry (0.994-0.992) however. Dunno if I'll bother using them again or not. The buds seemed to have more nutrients than the off brand flakes, so thats why i tried 'er, but the goop....

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi Rad, I'm trying to follow your second recipe of AllBran written on page 3. I'm not sure how to invert sugar. Do you invert sugar just simmering the equal water-sugar mix for 30 minutes? or Do you add some acid to do it?
Following your mentioned recipe (but using epsom salts instead of 20-20-20) i made my first wash and it was fermenting during a week. Now is clearing. Thanks a lot for this amazing and cheap recipe!!!

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Sorry, I'm asking about inverted sugar because i also read you were testing to invert sugar with white vinegar....

Hound Dog
Master Distiller

Post by Hound Dog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:44 am

Copied from Wikipedia:

" Inverting sugar

Inverted sugar syrup can be easily made by adding water and roughly one gram of citric acid per kilogram of sugar. [5] (Lemon juice is 5% to 6% citric acid, with a negligible amount of ascorbic acid, so this would correspond to about 20 grams of lemon juice per kilogram of sugar.) Cream of tartar (one gram per kilogram) [5] or fresh lemon juice (10 milliliters per kilogram) may also be used.

The mixture is boiled to get to a temperature of 114 °C (237 °F), [5] and will convert enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. Invert sugar syrup may also be produced without the use of acids or enzymes by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar."

Yep, it's that simple.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:54 am

Thanks a lot, I will try to add 50ml of fresh lemon juice for 5kg sugar.

Hound Dog
Master Distiller

Post by Hound Dog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:26 pm

I keep a bottle of "Real Lemon" lemon juice on hand. I use it for this and making fruit items like strawberry panty dropper. Lemon juice doesn't add the bitter taste that powdered citric acid can in my opinion.

All this aside, I don't go through the trouble of inverting the sugar for this recipe. I tried it but didn't see much difference. I put the sugar in my barrel, dump in a few gallons of boiling water and hit it with a drywall mud mixer to dissolve the sugar, dump in the cereal and stuff, chop it with the mud mixer and keep stirring while I top up the rest of the water then pitch the yeast. This way probably slows it down a bit but I usually leave a week to ferment then rack and clear for a week so no hurry. This seems to be a very forgiving recipe.
Using Google Search

hanon
Bootlegger

Post by hanon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:24 pm

When I did this recipe I think I used 1.5 gallons of water to invert 10 lbs of sugar. I read that the ideal pH for inverting sugar is 3.6, and I have a pH meter so I was able to hit that spot on.

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:52 am

sergiolis wrote:Hi Rad, I'm trying to follow your second recipe of AllBran written on page 3. I'm not sure how to invert sugar. Do you invert sugar just simmering the equal water-sugar mix for 30 minutes? or Do you add some acid to do it?
Following your mentioned recipe (but using epsom salts instead of 20-20-20) i made my first wash and it was fermenting during a week. Now is clearing. Thanks a lot for this amazing and cheap recipe!!!
Sorry I'm so late to the party... Been a bit busy these last few days and just now catching up... I've posted a long post about various methods of inverting sugar several times here in the forums... It must be in one of my T&T recipe topics... What others have stated look similar to excerpts from my posts... At any rate, it looks like you're well on your way... Keep us posting on how your spirits turn out...

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm almost finish with my still and thought I'd give allbran a whirl.

I have read all pages in this tread and have heard wonders off its simplicity, taste and how it can take a fair bit of thinkering without going tits up, all good in my book.

Recipe
330 grams of Lidl Allbran
5kg of sugar
56grams of Tesco Bakers yeast ( a full pack)
Water to make 25 l
Two multi vitamin tablets as there was no info on the allbran box weather it was fortified or not.

Just boiled up 7 liters of water and threw it in to the fermenter, in with the sugar and allbran, let it sit for an hour and mix it up, broke down the All bran nice and propper.
Added water to make it 25 liters, temp was about 28C so I threw in the yeast and stirred about for a min.
Initial Sg 1.065 or there abouts, a bit of a guesstimate as the yeast was frothing it up a bit

Not here is where I go against advice because, well, because I want to do this as cheap as possible.

I was told by the bosswoman to keep the fermanter out in the laundry where it's about 10-15C possible lower at night.
So I built a nice snug coat for my fermenter made from some flor underlay I had lying about, about 8-10 layers on all sides, I was hoping the initial heat of the wash and the heat generated with the fermenting process would be kept in by this coat and would suffice to keep the wash at a good enough heat to save me any other expenditure.

But alas, it only lasted for two days until it stopped to bubble :(
I thought I might be able to fire it up again by throwing 2 liters of boiling water in to the wash, thus raising the temperature, but no go.
So I accepted that I had to get a heater and ordered a fishtank heater ordered from China, took 2.5 weeks to get delivered.
I took SG , 1.034 making the wash about 4% in two days, about what I expected with my low yeast count , then threw in the heater overnight, i set the heater to 27C.

I was not to hopeful that it would fire up again and sure enough, when I came down in the morning there was no bubbling action.
So I created a started with 3 packs of yeast and 15-30 drops on tomato fertilizer, took an new SG and threw the starter in.
I was surprised to learn that the new SG was 1.015, about 6.45%, so apparently the wash had kicked off quite well, i must have a leak in the seal somewhere.

Now I get a bubble every 8 sec or so, not minding it to much but listen for it when walking by.

I have to say I thought I killed it with letting it sit with no love for so long, was expecting some bacteria to come in and finish the yeast off, can't beat it for a simple and durable wash.
Now I only have to complete my still and clean it out and we'll see what all the fuss is about :)

Thanks to all that have posted info, I've learned loads by reading through this thread, only took me 4 days :)
Don't be a dick

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Rad, with my second wash I inverted the sugar properly and it fermented in 5 days. I think it is finished but I'm not really sure. I couldn't measure the OG because i hadn't a hydrometer but now i have it and after 5 days is at 1000 or a bit less. It was bubbling like 15 bubbles per second so I supposed it was finished and i shake it quite a lot to remove the gas and now is clearing.
My silly question is about the bubbles. when do you know exactly the fermentation is finished?

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm

It's done... Let it clear, rack it, and run it...

Hound Dog
Master Distiller

Post by Hound Dog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:42 am

sergiolis wrote: My silly question is about the bubbles. when do you know exactly the fermentation is finished?
Screw the bubbles. When the hydrometer says it's done. It's done.
Using Google Search

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:26 am

wow I said 15 bubbles per second .... hehhehehhehehhe and it was 15 bubbles per 2 minutes.... Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice... I will cook my third wash today ... and later on i will reflux the 3 stripped washes.... everything is going well ;-) keep in touch

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:23 am

I'm making another wash of AB..... but measured 1.098 OG, I didn't want so much and i added like 2000ml of water....
Is it correct to add water to adjust the SG?? I had a wash of 23 liters and now is 25 liters.
Thanks a lot guys

WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:29 am

sergiolis wrote:I'm making another wash of AB..... but measured 1.098 OG, I didn't want so much and i added like 2000ml of water....
Is it correct to add water to adjust the SG?? I had a wash of 23 liters and now is 25 liters.
Thanks a lot guys
Yes, adding some water will reduce your SG. What was your SG after you added the water??

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 am

It was 1090. Thanks a lot WW.
I was surprised because I got an initial SG of almost 1100 addng 5.25kg of sugar to 23 liters total volume

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 am

I go for a neutral bt as I'm a novice I prefer not to exceed 13%ABV

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:22 am

You're at ~1.090 or ~14% ABV potential according to my calculations... That's the upper limit for a sugar wash... I've run quite a few 14% All Bran washes and they do just fine... These days I use 10 pounds in a 6 gallon wash for a potential of ~12%...

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 am

Yes, thanks Rad. That's why I'm not scared. But theoretically using 5.25kg of sugar in a 23 liters wash should be an S.G. of 1.087 and 13.4% alcohol. I measured the SG too late after pitching the yeast and i got an SG 1.098 or 1.100. Maybe it was the problem. To measure after pitching the yeast. Anyway I put 250 ml of the wash in a test-tube that i cooled in the fridge until 20ºC before i got the measure. Mysteries of science... hehehehe

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks a lot Rad, my Allbran now is ready in just 4 days with 5kg of sugar for 23L of wash and the ABV is about 13%.... Great job Rad!!!!

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:38 am

Hi Rad, My recipe of Allbran is for 6 gallons (23L)

1. 5kg sugar inverted in 2500ml mineral water and 100ml lemon juice. Simmered 30 minutes
2. 250g Allbran, 1250ml water, 2 teaspoons of baker yeast. Simmered 30 minutes
I mix all togheter and I add 1 teaspoon of epsom salts and 12 spoons (100g) of baker yeast.
It's working nicely. In four days is fermented and ready to rack.
But as a novice i'm not very familiarized with tastes and smells of Ethanol. After a stripping run of 2x23L washes I Boka Reflux and I get after cuts 3000ml of 91%ABV.
Diluted tastes really good but it has some sort of a smoked smell, specially near the tails...
Is it normal?

russman
Novice

Post by russman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:48 pm

Sippin' the All Bran and watching "Thunder Road" It don't get much better'n that! :D
Russ
SW Washington
15G Kegger, 33" column, 15G thumper

CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Just went and picked up some all bran flakes from the store to do my first run of this recipe. I don't expect to have any problems with it. I've got a new still built but haven't had time to do cleaning runs and it will be gas fired so may be a bit before I get to run it. I was reading about keeping fermentation going even when you can't still so that when you can still you have plenty of stock, and this recipe looks like a winner.
Still learnin...
MY CCVM

Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 am

sergiolis wrote:Hi Rad, My recipe of Allbran is for 6 gallons (23L)

1. 5kg sugar inverted in 2500ml mineral water and 100ml lemon juice. Simmered 30 minutes
I mix all togheter and I add 1 teaspoon of epsom salts and 12 spoons (100g) of baker yeast.
But as a novice i'm not very familiarized with tastes and smells of Ethanol. After a stripping run of 2x23L washes I Boka Reflux and I get after cuts 3000ml of 91%ABV.
Diluted tastes really good but it has some sort of a smoked smell, specially near the tails...
Is it normal?
You might want to cut back on the sugar a bit. Try 4kg and see if that helps.
Braz

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 pm

sergiolis wrote:Hi Rad, My recipe of Allbran is for 6 gallons (23L)

Is it normal?
Are you allowing the wash to adequately clear before racking into the boiler...??? I've never had a smoky smell from any sugarhead so I can't help much with that unless you had solids in the boiler and they scorched... Or there are synthetics somewhere that are leaching into your spirits...

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:33 am

Thanks a lot, Braz and Rad for your help. I think both advices are appropriate.
First of all i will reduce sugar because in my last wash I started with an OG 1.080 and after fermentation the FG was 0.096. So it's quite a lot because it's something about 15,5% ABV.
Besides that I realised that I could rack much better because I left this last wash on the terrace (4ºC minimum) and it's much more clear than my previous washes. So I can deduce that maybe my previous washes were not racked very well.
Usually I'm racking twice ( the second one into the boiler).
2 Questions:
1. Now here is winter here and the minimum temperature it's about 4ºC, so if I left the washes outside they will clear pretty well.
But, what about summer? How do you get to clear the wash properly if you don't have a huge fridge??
2. what do you think about my collection? 3L of etho at 91% from a 46L wash
Thanks a lot. I'm just curious and I would like to know if i could improve some steps.
Have a nice day!!!!

Hound Dog
Master Distiller

Post by Hound Dog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:58 am

sergiolis wrote:Thanks a lot, Braz and Rad for your help. I think both advices are appropriate.
First of all i will reduce sugar because in my last wash I started with an OG 1.080 and after fermentation the FG was 0.096. So it's quite a lot because it's something about 15,5% ABV.
Besides that I realised that I could rack much better because I left this last wash on the terrace (4ºC minimum) and it's much more clear than my previous washes. So I can deduce that maybe my previous washes were not racked very well.
Usually I'm racking twice ( the second one into the boiler).
2 Questions:
1. Now here is winter here and the minimum temperature it's about 4ºC, so if I left the washes outside they will clear pretty well.
But, what about summer? How do you get to clear the wash properly if you don't have a huge fridge??
2. what do you think about my collection? 3L of etho at 91% from a 46L wash
Thanks a lot. I'm just curious and I would like to know if i could improve some steps.
Have a nice day!!!!
While cold crashing helps the clearing process a lot, in the summer time will help. I just let my racked wash sit for two weeks instead of a few days to clear.
Using Google Search